Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4212479 - 01/02/16 04:14 PM Planning a trip to the USA  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
We're looking at a family holiday this July. It's my son's exam year at school so he gets to finish early and we'd like to do something special.

So far the plan is a direct flight to Seattle, rent a car and drive across to Montana to stay a few days on a ranch. After that we'll move on to San Francisco, returning to Seattle by car and flying down or flying from nearby Bozeman which should be easier but the flight schedule is poor. Anyway, we'd stay around SF for five/six days.

There's more than enough scenery for us in Montana and I cant wait to visit a real live ghost town, while apart from everything else SF has a Liberty ship and a submarine museum. My wife was most pleased with that.

Anyway, thoughts on stuff we really shouldn't miss would be appreciated. I did look at visiting a range for a family shooting experience but the high cost and low amounts of ammo just didn't add up. The chance to try some miltary weapons would be fun though.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4212481 - 01/02/16 04:21 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Usually those ranges are a little expensive but that's because they're for tourists to enjoy, not prolonged shooting practice wink

Google around for indoor shooting ranges, I'm sure there's a nicer one somewhere in Montana. They always have things to rent there too.

Oh and have fun! Hope you like driving biggrin

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4212586 - 01/02/16 10:46 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
One thing that is going to seem odd to you, if it's your first trip, is the distance.
Compared to the UK.....it takes a long time to get from point 'A' to point 'B'.
But when people give you directions, they're going to think you're used to the space we have here.

Take your time....it's a beautiful country, but a long time between views wink

When you get here, look up a gun range online in any state but California or New York.
They don't like guns there. They don't make it easy to enjoy them.
Most states are gun friendly though.
Montana should have a lot of opportunities to shoot.

Texas is still free.

...lol.... wink

"Murphy's Law"
#4212587 - 01/02/16 10:50 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

The USS Hornet in Alameda (right across the bay from SF) is definitely worth checking out if you're in that area for a week. It was only $16 when I went a couple years ago.

As for "things not to miss" in SF - one could make quite a list there. I'd google the topic and take your pick - you can't see/do it all in a matter of days.

#4212618 - 01/03/16 01:51 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Just keep in mind the distance. That is many days worth of driving. Going from SF to Seattle itself is at least 1 1/2 days if not more.

I think most ranges only rent out handguns, typically a "try before you buy" experience. And its expensive. I'm sure there are other places like Vegas, which has a lot of places which rent out exotic weapons.

#4212624 - 01/03/16 02:13 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
You need to drive Highway 1 South
through Santa Cruz, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel and all the way to Big Sur
(and be sure to have one person drive down and the other one back so everyone can check out the scenery)

and as mentioned by other pay attention to the actual distance of where you are going from and to

so much and so little time (as always)

http://hubpages.com/travel/The-Top-20-Must-See-Places-in-California

http://www.exploratorium.edu/visit

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

https://www.mysteryspot.com/

and on . . .

Last edited by David Kennard; 01/03/16 02:37 AM.

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4212625 - 01/03/16 02:18 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Big gun fun in West Yellowstone MT, has an indoor range and many different packages to choose from.

http://www.biggunfun.com/index.html

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4212637 - 01/03/16 03:02 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Seattle to Montana is a pretty far drive. In fact, I live here and never done it! Let alone Seattle to the Bay area. That one I have done a few times. If you go dawn to dusk drive from Seattle to San Francisco, you can do it in 1 "day". If you only get out to stick gas in the car. Start at about 6 AM get in about 11:00 PM. But your trip is thousands of KM's here. This assumes Interstate 5 and staying on 5. Its not the most scenic route. In fact ugly as hell in down in California. Although if stopping in SF its a decent on the eyes. Going further South its really fugly.

The Highway 1/101 is down the coast is really awesome. But to do it right takes like 4 days of mellow driving braking it up at camp sights/ tourist towns.

Finding a basic shooting class/ whatever is easy enough. But actual military weapons ya, that would be hard and expensive. If by military you mean machine guns. Here in WA state illegal same as California. But plenty of civilian legal stuff all over the place. If looking at a shooting class or rental range just DON'T do it in California. In fact, probably best to maybe meet up with someone from on the board here and taken to a decent rental range. That is, if you trust random internet people. No all ranges are the same. Some better than others.

But I hope this trip of yours is at least 3 weeks in length. For the distances involved I hope at least that and if in a car. Here in WA State and if you want to see neat things out in Nature Olympic National park is really cool. The Hoh rain forest is there. The ONLY northern rain forest in North America. http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/visiting-the-hoh.htm

Also here in WA and driving 405 east to Montana, its really pretty up in the Cascades. If wanting a more scenic route take one of the smaller passes over and add a bit more time onto the trip. Once you clear the Cascades it gets kind of blaaa. Eastern Washington is pretty NOT scenic IMO.

If you are flying into SeaTac keep in mind its like 25 mile trip North to Seattle. I have done the flight from Shannon Ireland and your going to be REALLY beat once you get here. I hope you plop down somewhere mellow for a day to recover. Like Seattle. Hit the tourist spots, like Pikes place Market, the first Starbucks =), the Space Needle, etc. Seattle is a mellow city downtown and a good place to rest and recuperate. Then an easy get on 405 and head east from there.

In SF I would hit Fort Point under the Golden Gate, Ghirardelli square for junk food at a minimum.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 01/03/16 03:18 AM.
#4212654 - 01/03/16 03:23 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Vitesse

So far the plan is a direct flight to Seattle,

Wow. Now THAT is a long flight!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4212669 - 01/03/16 04:17 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Been on that liberty ship way back when. I think its the Jeremiah O Brian? But the old Persidio might be a place to go. back when i lived over there way back when was still a US Army base. Now its a park or something. But good views. Down on the beach there use to be some coastal guns and bunkers still left. There was a 10 inch disappearing gun there 20 years ago. Same type as up this O way at Fort Casey that is one of the Forts that defended the Puget sound. Really fun place here in WA State on Whidbey Island, about 5 miles from me.

If you can't tell I am a West Coast baby. Up and down and no where else. biggrin

#4212670 - 01/03/16 04:34 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
If you are going to spend time in the SF area, take a drive North across the Golden Gate Bridge and head into wine country (Nappa Valley, Sonoma etc). Beautiful scenery up there and there is of course lots of wine to taste.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4212710 - 01/03/16 11:46 AM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
While you're in SF I would recommend the Alcatraz tour, if that's not been mentioned already? The audio tour is very atmospheric and well made.
You might want to book it well in advance though, the tours fill up pretty quick, as I recall it.
And yes, a drive down Highway 1 is a must I think.

Finally, like the others have said, the huge distances can be a bit surprising, and while freeways and interstate roads will get you there relatively fast, I find them extremely boring to drive on.

If at all possible, we would always take highways and smaller, when we were over there.
This way you get to see more of America, with all the small shops, mom & pop diners and villages along the way, instead of only large chain shops and diners along the bigger roads. But, that's just my personal preference, and it will take alot more time!

A way around this, is to simply fly the long distances, and just rent a new car at the destination. This way you'll be able to see a lot more of your planned stuff, but will miss the "exploration" bit, in between.
Anyway, hope you have a great trip!
It's a fantastic country to travel in, and people are generally very helpfull and friendly.

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
#4212719 - 01/03/16 01:24 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Thanks for the replies everyone, it's all useful.

Quote:
Big gun fun in West Yellowstone MT,

That's exactly the place I'd looked at (it's highly rated on tripadvisor). We have our own air rifles here and I know many pellets we go through just knocking tin cans over. In the past I've used Lee Enfield and L1A1 service rifles and it would be nice to shoot something with a bit of kick again. I'll do some more investigation.

Everyone's mentioned driving distances and I have taken note. We're looking at three days getting to Montana which is given at around 700 miles on i90. I'm thinking we apply ourselves on day 1 and get some miles done then take it easier. We need to consider exactly where to stop each night and plan around that. The trip back is the tricky one. There's not much price difference in a rental car for the one way trip or keeping it while we stay at the ranch. Flights to Seattle or SF from nearby Bozeman aren't direct and we'd spend almost as long in airports as it would take to drive. We'll sort it out one way or the other.

So far we're looking at Alcatraz, cycling the Golden Gate Bridge and the Nappa Valley is in their too. Highway one is definitely possible. I don't think we'll have much time in Seattle. It's lost out to SF I'm afraid.

I know we can't do it all but the more planning we put in now should get the most out of our time. We have 2 and a half weeks. Parts of that are going to be be quite busy!

#4212731 - 01/03/16 03:02 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Dude, you should be able to drive 700 miles in one day unless you're a senior citizen. When I was in my 20s, I used to drive from New York to Chicago in the same day to visit my bro'. Did it 2-3 times per year. Leave before dawn and you're there at dinner. And where you're going, speed limits in some places are higher than California so you should be able to get there even faster. I even did New York to Minneapolis in the same day. 1,100 miles. Took 21 hours, but what the heck. I slept when I got there.

In SF, don't forget Lombard Street, the city's most crooked street and one of the most crooked in the world (Google it). Coit Tower? Fisherman's Wharf?

I don't see Seattle as a tourist town. The real flavor is experienced only if you stay for awhile. Some cities are like that. SF is a tourist town, but the city isn't as large as some people who have never been there tend to imagine. I think there is more to see in Chicago (go a little further east) and even Los Angeles, if you can stand the traffic. A great family vacation, if you are willing to alter your current itinerary is a drive down the West Coast. Talk about beautiful! Seattle to Portland to Nappa/SF to Monterrey and Big Sur and keep going down the coast to LA, Santa Barbara and San Diego (one of my favorite cities). I did the drive when I was 27 with a buddy. It was awesome. The stuff we saw. Wow.

Last edited by Plainsman; 01/03/16 03:08 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4212763 - 01/03/16 03:56 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=seattle+to+bozeman

~9h35m drive

What you forget Plainsman is Vitesse is probably not used to long drives which we think nothing of here. Also he has to be conscience of not driving on the wrong side of the road.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4212817 - 01/03/16 08:00 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: Vitesse]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
If you get sick of SF, go here..... http://www.nps.gov/pore/index.htm

Its pretty and not that far from SF. Did some camping/backpacking around here in my late teens.

If on Hiway 1 north of SF and need a place to rest or even camp I have fond memories of this place, http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=432 Probably because it reminded me of places around where I grew up and live now, only less green.

There are tons of tourist traps IN SF. Lots of that sort of thing. But SF is a compact crowded city. It can be fun but can get to you after a while. Luckily easy escapes heading North that are IMO worth your time. Just North over the Golden Gate on behind that big fat hill is a sort of interesting place. It is where back in the 1950's they built a zillion anti aircraft missile launchers to defend the city. There still should be some static Nike Hercules and Ajax missiles there. Its a big park now. Great views biking and hiking about.

I would take the tour of the Bay by tourist boat. Its campy but fun. =) And humpback whale watching if the season is right. No where near as cool and Killer Whale watching but neat anyways.

Love this place... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Point,_San_Francisco
http://www.nps.gov/fopo/index.htm

If your lucky some massive ship will plow into or out of port while on top of that old fort. In my vary early 20's would sometimes watch the Aircraft carriers come into port from here.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 01/03/16 08:23 PM.
#4212819 - 01/03/16 08:03 PM Re: Planning a trip to the USA [Re: KraziKanuK]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=seattle+to+bozeman

~9h35m drive

What you forget Plainsman is Vitesse is probably not used to long drives which we think nothing of here. Also he has to be conscience of not driving on the wrong side of the road.

Its best to take it slow and find fun spots along the route. Lots of cool #%&*$# out there.

Like this stupid place... http://www.leavenworth.org/

Its on the way east from seattle. Fun for a WTF lunch.

BTW hiway 2 is incredible drive. Its closed every year do to the snow. But WOW... incredible. Going over the pass that way if open and then link up on I90 is WELL worth it. Will add 2 hours on but ya...

Some guys tourist vid.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiw_A2L2OE of hiway 2

Last edited by FlashBurn; 01/03/16 08:10 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.