Rate This Thread
Hop To
#421090 - 02/19/04 04:21 PM Carrier Landing Training Track  
X_MAN Offline
Hotshot
X_MAN  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA, The United States...
Does anyone have a Carrier Landing Training track that works with v1.01?

The 1 I have is upside down?

C.O. No 91 'Nigeria' Squadron

#421091 - 02/20/04 01:55 AM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
X_MAN Offline
Hotshot
X_MAN  Offline
Hotshot

bump

#421092 - 02/20/04 08:14 AM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Xylem Offline
Xylem  Offline

Belleville, MI. USA
Allow me to hijack your thread. And ask a relevant question.

I made a carrier landing training mission: Mission Editor > placed carrier in water doing 30 knots > gave it a waypoint a hundred miles away > place an SU-33 in vicinity of carrier > gave it a couple of waypoints > the last waypoint was "landing' on carrier.

Voila; a 'Carrier Landing training Mission.'

One problem, though. If, during the approach, I hit "1" the nav key, or if I miss the carrier on the first try, the Nav Waypoint system on my radar suddenly switches me to an airfield more than 200 miles away. And there is no way I can get it to recogize the carrier again as my proper landing assignment.

Hence, I can never get the 'needles' or the talk down, etc. Without them I always crash; and I think the CO of the carrier is getting a little tired of it. \:D

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong, or how to solve this? Thanks....

And, x-man, you should try making your own; it's fun. Up-side down??

#421093 - 02/20/04 04:12 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Zbop Offline
Zbop  Offline

Hit the tilde key, it will cycle through the airfields. Just keep pressing it till the carrier shows up as the primary choice for landing. Z

#421094 - 02/20/04 05:35 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Xylem Offline
Xylem  Offline

Belleville, MI. USA
Hmmm....didn't think of that. Thanks Zbop. Hey; we're neighbors \:\)

#421095 - 02/20/04 05:50 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
RogueRunner Offline
RogueRunner  Offline

South Africa
here is mine with voice

Carrier trap

Guns have a point and click interface.

Gun free South Africa?
Suck my Glock!
#421096 - 02/20/04 06:23 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Zbop Offline
Zbop  Offline

Sure Xylem, yep not to far away. Z

#421097 - 02/20/04 09:32 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Xylem Offline
Xylem  Offline

Belleville, MI. USA
RogueRunner,

Excellent trap demo. I admire how smoothly you do it; I've crashed twice already. Fog is a nice touch; makes it essential to use instruments. A couple of questions: I have enough difficulty using the HUD display when trapping, let alone the cockpit isntruments. Do you always defer to the instruments, or is this just for training? I suppose if the HUD went out one would have to use the gauges. Also; how far fromm the carrier should the FAF be? And at what altitude? And at what speed should you approach it?

I can't place your accent RogueRunner; are you German? I'm making the rash assumption that you're not a native speaker, although your English is impeccable. Anyway I will be using your demo a lot, until I learn to trap correctly. Thanks a million.

Zbop; using the tilde didn't work for me. for some reason the radar just loses it. I have to hit some other # key (like 7) and then go back to "1" and start over. Cannot adjust the display differences. don't know why yet. And never knowing if it's me or a bug is making me neurotic. (although it's usually me-LOL)

Thanks guys

#421098 - 02/20/04 10:55 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
X_MAN Offline
Hotshot
X_MAN  Offline
Hotshot

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylem:
Allow me to hijack your thread. And ask a relevant question.

I made a carrier landing training mission: Mission Editor > placed carrier in water doing 30 knots > gave it a waypoint a hundred miles away > place an SU-33 in vicinity of carrier > gave it a couple of waypoints > the last waypoint was "landing' on carrier.

Voila; a 'Carrier Landing training Mission.'

One problem, though. If, during the approach, I hit "1" the nav key, or if I miss the carrier on the first try, the Nav Waypoint system on my radar suddenly switches me to an airfield more than 200 miles away. And there is no way I can get it to recogize the carrier again as my proper landing assignment.

Hence, I can never get the 'needles' or the talk down, etc. Without them I always crash; and I think the CO of the carrier is getting a little tired of it. \:D

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong, or how to solve this? Thanks....

And, x-man, you should try making your own; it's fun. Up-side down??
Interesting concept - However, how would making my own carrier mission (which I have by the way) help me if I can't actually - LAND ON THE DAMN THING???? :rolleyes:

#421099 - 02/20/04 11:06 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RogueRunner:
here is mine with voice

Carrier trap
Absolutely stunning landing! I have not been able to do this in bad weather. You have made it look so easy. Looks like I will be practicing over and over now...you've given me a goal to shoot for! \:D

#421100 - 02/20/04 11:37 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
X_MAN Offline
Hotshot
X_MAN  Offline
Hotshot

Thanks a lot guys - \:D

#421101 - 02/21/04 02:00 AM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Zbop Offline
Zbop  Offline

Xylem are you in the BO3B (RTN) or GJC (LNDG) submodes of Navigation mode? Pressing the 1 key puts you in Nav-Eng mode.. Pressing it again puts you in Nav-RTN which gives you the Initial Approach Fix for the runway. Pressing it a 3rd time puts you in LNDG mode, which will give you Glideslope and Localizer bars on HUD.

Pressing the tilde key (button next to the 1 key) while in the Nav submodes (RTN) (LNDG) will cycle through the available airfields. Z

#421102 - 02/21/04 11:29 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Xylem Offline
Xylem  Offline

Belleville, MI. USA
You are absolutely right, Zbop. Works fine.

And, although I was already aware of what you pointed out, I was just screwed up by a little oddity of the radar scope (and by my own thickheadedness). As you know the "+" and "-" keys adjust the range of the scope. What I was doing is pressing '-' until range was 512, then once more to range zero. And here it gets odd; if you press once more it stays at zero, then press '+' it stays zero, then press '-' it stays zero. etc ad infinitum.

So I was getting in this wierd place where the scope said zero, and then go back and forth from '+' to '-' and get no respose. This may be a bug, I dunno. If you press either one more time it goes back to normal behavior.

Anyway, it confused me, and coupled with my native stupidity, made me screw up the whole thing. Thanks for helping me think it through. Nav works ok for me now.

And X-man; didn't mean to irritate you, sorry.

#421103 - 02/22/04 06:22 AM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Zbop Offline
Zbop  Offline

Glad you got it worked out. Z

#421104 - 02/22/04 06:23 AM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
RogueRunner Offline
RogueRunner  Offline

South Africa
Quote:
RogueRunner,

Do you always defer to the instruments, or is this just for training? I suppose if the HUD went out one would have to use the gauges.

I can't place your accent RogueRunner; are you German?
I hardly ever do a visual approach to the carrier due to the nose being in the way most of the time anyway. The instruments are far more precise than the HUD circle anyway so I just learned to do the instruments thing and stayed with it.

I'm South African and my first language is Afrikaans (much like dutch)

Thanx for the compliments

Gun free South Africa?
Suck my Glock!
#421105 - 02/22/04 06:57 AM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RogueRunner:
here is mine with voice

Carrier trap
I am stunned by your skills. Greatest respect and thank you for that track.

Btw. Do you have furhter training tracks? I allways find it very pleasent to watch how the good ones do things, I can allways learn something new \:\)

#421106 - 02/22/04 06:18 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
RogueRunner Offline
RogueRunner  Offline

South Africa
Jonathan - Lansen - Lindegren,

Here is one with the mig and dumb bombs. There is mistakes in the voice like I said KAB500 where it was in fact FAB500's but I was too lazy to do it over. IRONHANDS tutorial with dumb bombs on the main LOMAC forums is actually much better. Also think I had labels switched on for this which is sad. My label settings at that stage was everything off except missiles at 5km but it will use whatever yours is set too \:\(

Gun free South Africa?
Suck my Glock!
#421107 - 02/22/04 07:57 PM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
Xylem Offline
Xylem  Offline

Belleville, MI. USA
RogueRunner,
I am working at your great trapping tutorial. I have some questions, if you don't mind.

1. When I take over control of the aircraft I find that I am immediately out of trim; I roll severely to the left, and am somewhat nose heavy. Did you have to trim a great deal when you originally flew it, or is it just my machine?I had to ask because I am having great difficulty with trim control in general. Whenever I start a mission, even one of my own making (esp in the SU-33), I have to spend two or three annoying minutes trying to get the plane to fly right. It just wants to flop around and fall out of the sky. Is this normal? I ask because your approach is so steady (mine seems very sloppy by comparison) and I need tolearn how it is done.

2. You approach in the final leg at 300km with airbrakes on. How do you do this, and maintain constant speed. I have tried autothrottle, but then the brake is only on occasionally. I cannot set a constant speed with my throttle; too delicate. This constant speed seems essential to trapping.

3. In my game there sems to be a wide discrepancy between the localizer bar in the ADI and the one in the HUD. The ADI says I should go left, the HUD right. Do you notice this? From the occasional glance I get at your HUD, there seems to be pretty good correspondence and quite stable. I wish I knew how you do this.

LOL- I remember trapping before. But it must have been in my dreams, because now the more I try the more I crash. Thanks a lot Rogue-LOL :p

I'd be curious to know about others experience with Rogue's tutorial. How are you doing?

Once again, Rogue; thanks for the excellent lessons. \:\)

#421108 - 02/23/04 10:10 AM Re: Carrier Landing Training Track  
RogueRunner Offline
RogueRunner  Offline

South Africa
Quote:
RogueRunner,
I am working at your great trapping tutorial. I have some questions, if you don't mind.

1. When I take over control of the aircraft I find that I am immediately out of trim; I roll severely to the left, and am somewhat nose heavy. Did you have to trim a great deal when you originally flew it, or is it just my machine?I had to ask because I am having great difficulty with trim control in general. Whenever I start a mission, even one of my own making (esp in the SU-33), I have to spend two or three annoying minutes trying to get the plane to fly right. It just wants to flop around and fall out of the sky. Is this normal? I ask because your approach is so steady (mine seems very sloppy by comparison) and I need tolearn how it is done.
I never ever use aileron trim, only elevator so I don't think it was the way it was trimmed that is causing this on your machine.

When you look at your calibration screen of your joystick, is it stable or does the axis spike alot? Make your deadzones bigger for all axis in your LOMAC settings, this might help!

Quote:

2. You approach in the final leg at 300km with airbrakes on. How do you do this, and maintain constant speed. I have tried autothrottle, but then the brake is only on occasionally. I cannot set a constant speed with my throttle; too delicate. This constant speed seems essential to trapping.
The speedbrake gives you a slightly more noselow attitude, just use a little bigger power setting to maintain the required speed. Again this could be a throttle spiking or the deadzone being too small.

Quote:

3. In my game there sems to be a wide discrepancy between the localizer bar in the ADI and the one in the HUD. The ADI says I should go left, the HUD right. Do you notice this? From the occasional glance I get at your HUD, there seems to be pretty good correspondence and quite stable. I wish I knew how you do this.
Remember, there is a differance between course to your waypoint and path to your waypoint. One of the needles on the ADI (the biggish one that is hollow in the center) shows course, you point that to the waypoint and you will get there aswell, you could for intentional purposes be anywhere on the map to do this. The path is a direct line drawn between your previous waypoint and the next, the HSI and HUD will guide you to fly directly on this line to the next waypoint. You can see therefore that they would not show the same information all the time, in fact 70% of the time they would show comlete different info to the pilot \:\) Just know what each one does and what you want to achieve and use the one that would get the job done that suites you.

Quote:

Once again, Rogue; thanks for the excellent lessons. \:\)
No problem!

Gun free South Africa?
Suck my Glock!

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.