Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4204901 - 12/11/15 02:55 AM A Petition for the Sim Fans  
Aceinthemaking Offline
Aceinthemaking  Offline

https://www.change.org/p/retroism-night-...;fb_ref=Default

Anyone care to join in and give some signatures to this petition I created, please?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4204995 - 12/11/15 11:55 AM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
why? I mean no disrespect but some of these games are for Windows 3.1 and as fondly as I look back on these titles they are so primitive compared to some of the sims we currently play. And I believe you can get a couple of these games on some of the bargain bin selections at GOG.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4205005 - 12/11/15 12:35 PM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
The problem I have with the games I used to play all those years ago is the graphics.I can't live with them now.Game-play wise they still embarrass most modern day efforts.Yes,I want to play M1TP again but I want it with modern-day graphics and it's just not going to happen unfortunately.

Good luck with the petition though.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4205019 - 12/11/15 01:57 PM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I would much rather see the Jane's series re-released to work on today's OS. In particular for Jane's F/A-18 which is arguable the best naval flight simulator ever, I would love for the source code to be released so it can be modded even more like how F4 was. I'm sure TSH would just got nuts all over that!

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4205065 - 12/11/15 04:44 PM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
It was posted in another thread, but there is a GOG petition for Tornado here: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/tornado_digital_integration

#4205360 - 12/12/15 05:28 PM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Ah man, those are all excellent games. Why has nobody just re-created them, and by that I mean change nothing about the game-play itself just make it run on modern machines with better graphics!

I owned every one of those games except Red Storm Rising, but I did have a demo disc that played short bits of F-15 Strike Eagle II, F117 (or possibly F19 can't remember now) and Red Storm Rising....always remember the intro with the sub emerging from the bottom of the screen!

AV8B was also amazing as you could direct the entire war if you so wanted, same with Tornado.

Some one bring them back! smile

#4205430 - 12/12/15 10:49 PM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
Aceinthemaking Offline
Aceinthemaking  Offline

Well, primitive or not - There are those who have these titles in their hearts... It'll be really difficult to recreate these games with better graphics. You'd need to have the same expertise of the original development teams, while having huge budgets to improve upon the realism. To me, the biggest benefit of all is that we could play these games without the compatibility issues we'd encounter in M1 Tank Platoon II or any of the DOS-based sims.

#4206118 - 12/15/15 06:21 AM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
kadiir Offline
kadiir  Offline

FYI...

SuperVGA Harrier is the VGA version of AV8B. If you can find it, it runs fine in DOSBox.

#4235167 - 03/01/16 03:27 AM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
Aceinthemaking Offline
Aceinthemaking  Offline

Guys, guys! At this time, NONE of the titles here are available on GOG.com, nor should we worry about primitiveness! I asked for signatures to help further this! Please, if you just join in, we can get this over with right away.

#4235204 - 03/01/16 07:28 AM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Aceinthemaking]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I can't speak of all the titles on that list, and how well they hold up as simulations of reality, so I'll limit my comments to what I know - tanks, and the M1 Tank Platoon franchise.

We made Steel Beasts Pro as our idea how a recreation of M1 Tank Platoon should look like. M1TP was outstanding for its time (1989) - if you played the Amiga version (hint: MUCH better sounds) - but the modeling of the M1's fire control system wasn't very good. Objectively seen, it was a "pretend-simulation" that successfully cast the illusion among people who had never been in an M1 that it was a faithful recreation of it.

But that's plain wrong, I'm sorry to say. I guess I'll burn at the stake for saying that.

M1TP2 wasn't much of a progress over the original, as far as realism of procedures are concerned.
Gameplay wise, while developing your crews wasn't a bad move, I'm still torn about it because the rookie crews were borderline inept, far worse than even the worst recruits that I ever had the displeasure to train in real life as tank crews. And late in the game you had colonels as vehicle commanders, but shouldn't promote gunners beyond the rank of Major so not to "upset the chain of command"? Yeah, riiight...
So, the whole logic of "promotions and medals make people more competent" is completely upside down.

You couldn't really plan your mission before starting it, so even when the mission said "deliberate defense" you never had a chance to deliberate but always were in a state of rapid improvisation. Which may have contributed to a more intense game experience, all right, but it doesn't portray real life very well.

Finally, the question always is whether as a game developer you want to follow your own ideas or to just recreate what other people designed before you. Maybe the people at that site chose to simply remake old classics, and earn their money that way. Which is okay. But others would rather do their own thing, particularly if the original concepts are found lacking. If you think you can do a better job, why limit yourself to creating exactly the same thing, except for better graphics?

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4235672 - 03/02/16 01:01 PM Re: A Petition for the Sim Fans [Re: Ssnake]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ssnake
I can't speak of all the titles on that list, and how well they hold up as simulations of reality, so I'll limit my comments to what I know - tanks, and the M1 Tank Platoon franchise.

We made Steel Beasts Pro as our idea how a recreation of M1 Tank Platoon should look like. M1TP was outstanding for its time (1989) - if you played the Amiga version (hint: MUCH better sounds) - but the modeling of the M1's fire control system wasn't very good. Objectively seen, it was a "pretend-simulation" that successfully cast the illusion among people who had never been in an M1 that it was a faithful recreation of it.

But that's plain wrong, I'm sorry to say. I guess I'll burn at the stake for saying that.

M1TP2 wasn't much of a progress over the original, as far as realism of procedures are concerned.
Gameplay wise, while developing your crews wasn't a bad move, I'm still torn about it because the rookie crews were borderline inept, far worse than even the worst recruits that I ever had the displeasure to train in real life as tank crews. And late in the game you had colonels as vehicle commanders, but shouldn't promote gunners beyond the rank of Major so not to "upset the chain of command"? Yeah, riiight...
So, the whole logic of "promotions and medals make people more competent" is completely upside down.

You couldn't really plan your mission before starting it, so even when the mission said "deliberate defense" you never had a chance to deliberate but always were in a state of rapid improvisation. Which may have contributed to a more intense game experience, all right, but it doesn't portray real life very well.

Finally, the question always is whether as a game developer you want to follow your own ideas or to just recreate what other people designed before you. Maybe the people at that site chose to simply remake old classics, and earn their money that way. Which is okay. But others would rather do their own thing, particularly if the original concepts are found lacking. If you think you can do a better job, why limit yourself to creating exactly the same thing, except for better graphics?

Having made the transition from M1TP-1/2 to SB
I would agree with Ssnakes comments.
I reached to stage in M1 were I very rarely lost a battle/campaign. used to think I was general Patton on the battlefield. LoL
Even adjusting the game script to change rides, I used to use soviet kit sometimes just for the fun of it
When I first played SB I got a reality check, I got my ass handed to me on a plate time and time again.
Then I started chatting with some RL Tank crews who played SB learned a lot from them.
Its a shame Armoured warfare is a relatively niche. there's a lot more to it then charging around the battlefield blowing #%&*$# up.
I will sign the petition though I don't think I have ever enjoyed a game more then M1TP.
But if its a simulation you want go for SB,

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.