Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 46 47
#4205006 - 12/11/15 12:40 PM The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Hi all,

As in the New Year's Resolution topic discussed, here's your chance to share, shame, be shamed, find encouragement or simple check what others are doing in regards to nutrition and exercise. We've seen a lot of threads touching this, why not combine it.

For myself, I've been working out twice a week since two or three years, but started taking things a bit more serious this past May.

As a result in June (after a month vacation + lots of moving about) I needed a new hole made in my belt (no, not on the end wink ). Weight is down to 80kg but muscles are visibly improved. Sporting visible abs and well defined arm muscles, but not a bulky bodybuilder - I don't plan to either, I'm a Racer and that's what I aim for.

I do all my exercise at home with affordable and sometimes improvised gear. For nutrition, I don't care that much what I'm eating, but more on the amount of. Not counting every single calorie either, but I've gotten good at estimates. Currently aiming for an average of 1600 per day (1400+1400+2000 in three days) which is quite low, but then I have a sitting job and my daily need is about 2200 max. 1600 avg loses me not quite half a kilo per week which is a sustainable deficit.

My current goal is to get away from my 80-82.x weight fluctuations and make it a 78-79.9 fluctuation, i.e. I don't want to see a leading eight anytime I step on the scale. While retaining the muscle I have AND raising my daily input back to 2000 without weight gain.

This weekend is going to be hell because of extra plans - company christmas party tonight, Spa tomorrow.

Since the party today includes a buffet, I'm taking 2000kcal for the day, meaning tomorrow and sunday I'll be at 1400.

Today so far I've got a Muffin for breakfast (400) and a Kepab Pita with Chicken (600). That leaves about 1000 for the buffet tonight, and I'll drink wine, not beer. Going to miss my regular exercise tomorrow, adding a bit extra for sunday instead.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4205008 - 12/11/15 01:13 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I have a 30 min/10km each-way ride to work which I do five days a week without fail. That's about it for regular exercise these days because arthritis in my right foot means I've had to quit running (boo). Never been anywhere near a gym in my life, and consequently have no muscles above my waist smile

Eat relatively healthily without really paying much attention to calories, but having done so in the past reckon I'm on about 1800. Probably drink too much. Net result of all that means I'm usually around 72-74kg.

#4205044 - 12/11/15 03:33 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
I've been working out with P90X for about 3 years now. Actually, I've done several varieties of those "intense" home workouts, but settled on P90X2. I don't look like those guys on the videos because I eat whatever I want. But I am in very good condition. I take my dirtbike out and ride enduro at least once a week; I'd like more, but riding areas in the U.S. have been dwindling and I live on the east coast which is even harder to find places to ride legally.
I want to start being more careful in what I eat.
I'm 46 years old and I'm currently at about 20% body fat and should be down around 14 or 15%.

So, with the goal of lowering body fat, I have cut down (but not cut out) on the following:
Beer
pastries and other sweets
High fat/sugar/salt meals

#4205045 - 12/11/15 03:34 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
@RSC -- What do you race?

#4205076 - 12/11/15 05:39 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Goblin]  
axman Offline
axman  Offline

NYC
I started working out consistently in 2006 at the age of 44, and have been working out regularly 3 to 4 times a week.
3 of those workouts are one and a half hours long and include a 10-12 mile bike ride, followed by 45 minutes of machine-based weight lifting (i.e not free weight but weight "nmachines").

Despite all that, at 5'4', though I had put on alot of muscle, I had ballooned to 170lbs.

It wasn't until I reformed my diet that I started losing weight. I changed not only what i was eating (no more pizza, burgers, fries, etc.) and started putting more veggies and fish on the plate. I also cut by more than half the amount I was eating at night.

As a result, over the last 2 years, I have dropped 25 lbs, and feel great. Diet was key. Doc told me losing weight slowly lasts is a better option, as you get used to your new diet. You're less likely to feel hungry or back slide.

As someone once told me, no matter how much you work out, you can't outrun a bad diet.

Last edited by axman; 12/11/15 05:40 PM.
#4205081 - 12/11/15 05:49 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Cool thread.

Who else is willing to post fridge pics?

I've had family visit, look in my fridge and pantry and then tell me there's nothing to eat in my house. LOL.

BTW, that's not mold on the red bell pepper, it's a sticker. Also, the freezer pull-out drawer is filled up with sweet potatoes.

++++++++++

I realized just this morning that every time I grab a handful of almonds (about 1/4 cup) I'm eating 170 calories. Holy Smoly! We're going to break it all down this weekend and figure out just how much I've been eating, I'm sure I'll be shocked.

Attached Files Fridge.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 03:47 AM.
#4205089 - 12/11/15 06:01 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Also, we're going to need some before and after pics, like this...

Two with ex-sister-in-law, then forward progress...

Attached Files DSCF4289.jpgMark_Fat.jpgDSCF1623.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 03:48 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4205096 - 12/11/15 06:11 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
axman Offline
axman  Offline

NYC
Nice goin', Mark!

#4205103 - 12/11/15 06:32 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks, but that last pic is old (sorry). I'm almost there again, I have to add about 10 lbs. or so to that pic, plus some grey in the goatee.

Recent pic (kind of cheating since I'm not standing)...

Attached Files LSU_5.png
Last edited by MarkG; 03/03/17 03:50 AM.
#4205257 - 12/12/15 07:55 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
My fridge is basically empty. There's two cans of beer inside and some dark chocolate.

I'll reply more in depth as I make time, currently damn busy.

#4205303 - 12/12/15 12:48 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Eating cleaner for me is all about what's available in my house, although healthy food can still be abused as I'm figuring out (nuts, raisins, cheeses, breads, etc.).

There's no convenient gym location (we tried it for a year, too far) so we bought our own. Eventually we'll upgrade the weights/bench.

Note: Wife works out with weights twice a week (also treadmill each morning and yoga on Mondays). Women don't get scary Madonna arms or Kelly Ripa over-ripped bodies by doing normal regular workouts with a home gym. I don't know what these women do to look like that but they must live in the gym and push super hard (not my speed, a little toning is good but don't overdue it, keep your body feminine - just my opinion).

Attached Files DSCF3896.jpg
#4205328 - 12/12/15 03:42 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Nice equipment, all you really need.

How much wrights do you do?

I'll post part of my routine tomorrow.

#4205350 - 12/12/15 04:46 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
I've been pushing weights for 15 years now. I try to get to the gym 4 times a week, but only do half an hour on each body part. I'm not in bad shape for my age and job I suppose. I had a bad shoulder injury that kept me sidelined for a few months so just trying to get back to where I was.

I was managing to decline press some useful numbers, on a machine, not free.

My diet is poor, not too fussed about what I eat, other then no fried stuff cos it knackers me IBS. Oh the joy of shift work.

#4205490 - 12/13/15 01:56 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Nice equipment, all you really need.

How much wrights do you do?

I'll post part of my routine tomorrow.

Uh, hmm...kind of embarrassed about this one, but I shouldn't be (I'm the only guy I know IRL who lifts *anything*) so here goes...

My main weight set came from Sears...

Weider Pro 290 W Home Gym (80 Lb. Vinyl Weight Set)...
http://www.sears.com/weider-pro-290-w/p-00615891000P

IIRC, it was on sale for just under $100.00 and I bought one for me and one for my father (his iron weights were packed away and just too much for him to deal with anymore). It's all at my house now so I now have a combined 160 lbs. of vinyl weights...

8 x 15 lbs., 4 x 10 lbs. = 160 lbs.

Plus an adjustable 30 lbs. max. dumbbell set.

Problem is that the original bar holds a max. of only 100 lbs., so I bought a new bar (the black one in my pic) that holds 120 lbs. (and to have a separate bar until I purchase a real curl bar). The bar itself is 10 lbs. (not a "real" 45 lbs. bar) and I'm currently bench pressing 120 lbs., 3 sets of 10 reps. For curls, military and the rest I'll make a note of it on my next workout.

<Timothy, USAFMTL and other gym rats are probably laughing their asses off right now!> biggrin

My shame isn't that I have weak upper body strength, my shame is that I haven't really progressed in a long time (I quit challenging myself with more weight and/or reps). In other words, I've become lazy with my workouts.

Besides the bars, I don't think my bench can safely hold much more weight than I'm using anyway. I would still recommended it for a starter set, especially if money is tight.

++++++++++

For our next anniversary (Jan. 9) or shortly after (once we clear some room) we're going to upgrade to an iron set (plus my father's weights), including individual dumbbells and a sturdier heavy-duty bench where I can comfortably widen my grip. She'll keep using the old set (she likes it).

#4205509 - 12/13/15 03:55 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I thought this might be relevant to the thread.

I don't know how many of you are willing to post this much information or if you have recent numbers, the blood work on my last physical about 6 weeks ago was...

GLU: 94
ALT: 27
CHOL: 222
TRI: 134
HDL: 42
LDL: 154

I was surprised that my sugar was over 90 (usually mid-80s) and that my cholesterol was a little high. I'm taking a harder look at what I'm eating (starting with all the nuts, obviously).

I am on high blood pressure medication, although it's been reduced from where I started back in 2008. I'd like to get off of it completely and was told that was a future possibility, we'll see.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4205528 - 12/13/15 06:36 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
FDM4BGE Offline
FDM4BGE  Offline

Hi,

I'm a 180cm and not far from 50's. Lost weight 100kg to 75kg after the 17 months without diets/programs.

I didn't count the calories or use gyms. Just did hikes, light running, in- & outdoor climbing and mostly body weight training at home. A 10kg kettle ball, rubber-bands and nowadays also hangboard(edit).

Drop the sugar, glucose syrup and corn syrup products and start eating the unprocessed foods as much as possible. A lots of green salads without dressings, which often contain sugar and/or syrups. Only a olive oil. Plenty of it. Also berries, nuts, eggs, fishes and oatmeals are good.

Eating is a habit and your stomach is getting use to big portions very fast. Just cut those portions and take at least half of the plate salads and then the rest. Never pile up. Drink lots of water. NO sweet sodas. Feeling hungry time to time wont kill you.

No, the desserts are not mandatory. Really.

Life is light smile

Last edited by FDM4BGE; 12/13/15 03:54 PM.
#4205603 - 12/13/15 03:13 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
So, a bit more time to reply.

Goblin asked what I race... a 675 Daytona Supersport on Circuits. Bulk is my enemy wink

What Axman says about diet is 100% true... realistically you can't burn more than 500 or 600 excess cal per day (unless you really have a go at it for multiple hours) and it's very easy to add these 600kcal just with bad food.
Of course building muscle raises your average burn rate, so that helps indirectly.

Mark, that ain't so bad for benching. I lack a proper bench, so I do pushups (with feet on a chair and pushup grips, which I figure puts about half my weight - 80kg on my arms). I do 3 sets with 25 reps - I do that actually for all my exercises, it's a number I find easy to remember.

No current blood work for me, so couldn't say, but it wasn't bad when we checked this summer.

I ate bad on friday (Christmas Party) and yesterday, so I figure these two days at 2000kcal didn't really lose me any. Want to make it a small meal today - 350g of Chicken Breast, two handfull of vegetables and a few cashew nuts stir-fried in the wok. That will be about 600kcal, with lots of protein. I always eat after workout, which today will be:

3x25 Pushups
3x25 Side Situps (25 each side) with 6kg weight behind my head.
3x25 straight situps (from laying flat, legs locked into bench) with 6kg weight behind my head.
3x25 Back Dips (with your back to the bench, put your weight on your hands, stretch the legs away, and use your arms to lower/raise your body)
3x25 curls with my Tera Band Rubber for each hand (Bizeps).

Five exercises with three repetitions each counts as 15 points in my system. I try to do 30 points a week - so usually two more days of nine points each. I like working out at home because in between sets I can get to my PC, check Facebook, do something - which makes it less of a drag to spend the time training.

#4205610 - 12/13/15 03:57 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
FDM4BGE Offline
FDM4BGE  Offline

RCS,

Pretty nice workout right there.

#4205615 - 12/13/15 04:24 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Thanks. Still at it as I type wink

It's a bit high repetition at 25, but I don't have better resistance/weight at home, and it's anyway better for definition and endurance. Oh, and to clarify... I do five different sets, then another five, then another five. Not 3x25 of the same exercise after each other, it would kill me.

#4205624 - 12/13/15 04:43 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
FDM4BGE, the eating you suggested is about where I'm at now (right down to yesterday's Quaker Oats while adding cinnamon, walnuts, honey, raisins and wheat germ). For example, you'll no longer see salad dressings in my pics (avocado oil instead) nor will you see processed cheeses ("cheese food" and "cheese product"). I eat everything you mentioned on a regular basis. I enjoy a good homemade salad with lots of ingredients, only cheat is a little crunchy toppings (being replaced mostly by pumpkin seeds).

Except that I'm still going to eat the occasional desert (preferably homemade) and I do believe you should at least have an idea of how many calories you're consuming, especially if you eat a lot of higher calorie healthy foods like fruits and nuts.Also, our priorities today are much different, if we had to choose between replacing the large-screen TV or the treadmill (similarly priced when new), we'd choose without hesitation.

EDIT: In Jax, FL we had plenty of sidewalks and a nearby park to run and walk, owning a treadmill wasn't a necessity.

++++++++++

RSColonel_131st, you're using body weight for your exercises, good job man. I'm not there yet. wink

Also, full honesty disclosure...I don't push/finish the third set unless my wife is home to spot me.

Attached Files DSCF2234.jpg
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.