Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 47 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 46 47
#4376782 - 08/28/17 09:10 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Cool! He seems like a good guy. Lots of good info and he's very prolific.
Kind of disappointed after my weigh in, just saw 5 lbs. As different as my clothes fit, and the way I've felt, I was expecting a lot more than that.
Decided I'm going to try to step things up and add some cardio-only days to the mix during the week...if I can recover enough to handle it without ruining my regular days. We'll see how it goes this week.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4376788 - 08/28/17 09:58 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
IMO, a weekly weigh-in is a good reference of progress (bi-monthly even better), especially if you have a ways to go. I haven't messed with any body fat measuring tools yet, and I keep forgetting to ask my GP about it (he may do it and I'm sure it would be more accurate). But clothes are the way go, IMO, especially a pair of non-stretchable jeans and t-shirt of appropriate size, tells you all that you need to know. The clothes I wore to the Kansas concert Sat. evening, I've never been able to wear before (purchased last Dec. in Atlanta), so I know I'm going in the right direction.

I was looking over my calendar at lunch, music dates are about to become sparse (nothing between Sept. 8 - Dec. 30, unless something new pops up). So I'm repeating 2015 with tickets for LSU's homecoming Sept. 30th against the Troy Trojans (whoever that is). The cheapest nosebleed seats, guaranteed to burn calf muscles just walking the steps to the top of that stinking stadium, not to mention all the walking to-and-from the stadium and around campus before the game. I don't give two flips about college football, but I remember my legs feeling like Jell-O after the last time we went. smile

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4376886 - 08/29/17 03:21 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I'm doing 4 weeks. I don't know how to actually measure body fat, so I'm just using the scale and my pants fit. LOL
The calf machine is a torture device, but progress is pretty fast! Also a good tool to know if your low on potassium. If you're going to cramp up, that will be the one to show you!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4376928 - 08/29/17 07:08 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
For Body Fat, get a caliper. Really easy once you learn how to use it.

http://www.weightrainer.net/skinfoldbf.html

Might not be totally accurate (I guess you could be 2% off, it gets more accurate with more measuring points) but it works very well in charting progress for yourself.

#4381406 - 09/26/17 01:44 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I did get the caliper, so I'll have it for later comparison.
Had a good 4 weeks. Lost 8 lbs, short 2 of my goal, but I can tell it's offset by some amount of muscle gain, so it's OK. I feel like I lost a few more than 10 in fat. Wearing clothes I haven't in years and probably 4" off my waist.

I bumped my workouts up to 6 days a week. 45 min on the stationary bike every day, and 45-60 on weight machines every other day. Sundays off to recuperate. Diet is coming along very well. Actually having to try to eat enough to hit calories for the day. This 4 weeks I'm working on even less sugar and cutting carbs while upping the protein more.
To hit my goal for my birthday, I have to average 10 lbs every 4 weeks. I don't want to ease up on muscle gain, so I have to figure out the right balance quickly.

#4381448 - 09/26/17 08:57 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Slowly building back my routine myself. Summer break really kicked me out of the habit.

Found a small gym in walking distance, not part of any big chain, reasonable prices. I might look into moving my regime out of my apartment... they sure got more options than I have.

#4381737 - 09/27/17 06:39 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Only thing I have to report is that after spending Saturday walking the LSU campus before the football game (probably close to 6 miles [9.6 km]), I wasn't limping on Sunday. Yahoo! biggrin

Also, benching 140 lbs. (63.5 kg), 3 sets of 10. All of my weight training exercises have increased by 10 to 20 lbs. (in 2.5 to 5 lbs. increments) so progress is being made, however slowly. As a 50 year-old non-gym rat, I can live with that. I'm totally maxing out my bench capacity now (also with the leg exercises) so I'm going to have to do something about it soon before I get hurt. smile

RK, you're on fire! thumbsup

RSC, I wish I had a gym close by vs. squeezing a larger heavier-duty bench in a limited space. Might have to do some rearranging that I didn't want to have to deal with to make room.

We did a BF estimate (without a caliper) and...eh...I'm not posting that just yet. smile Thanks for the info, though. Going to get a caliper soon.

The sun is in the east
#4381848 - 09/28/17 12:52 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted by MarkG
We did a BF estimate (without a caliper) and...eh...I'm not posting that just yet. smile Thanks for the info, though. Going to get a caliper soon.

LOL biggrin You're among friends, don't worry... wink

I really feel like my Pectorals are out of size with the rest of my body. I got decent arms, abs, strong neck, but the pushups I'm doing are not triggering the breast to grow proportionally.

That's why a gym might be an option, I just hate binding contracts for multiple months. Need to see if I agree with their "points" system and if it's cost efficient. Or I need to find a better pushup style.

Bench press would be grand but I really don't have the space for that. Working with two separate dumbbells I lost one a while ago trying to pick it up and dinged the hardwood floor heavily. Never went beyond 20kg per hand so 63 is pretty solid!

Also spent 50mins on the crosstrainer yesterday, haven't done that in a year. My left knee is giving me a bit of trouble today, maybe I should start slower to build some stabilizing muscle.

Last edited by RSColonel_131st; 09/28/17 12:53 PM.
#4381893 - 09/28/17 04:07 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I found lots of caliper and measuring tape sets on amazon for very little. It's got plenty of instructions, but I'm still not completely sure I did it right. It doesn't matter much as long as I do it the same every time to see progress.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074FFPRQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I don't think any gyms around here require contracts anymore. Pretty much everything is just month to month and agree to their rules.
RS you probably just need more variety of exercises to hit all of the chest muscles.

#4381899 - 09/28/17 04:35 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Down to 222. 40 from goal.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4381902 - 09/28/17 04:42 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Awesome! Getting closer and closer.

#4382158 - 09/29/17 10:48 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
So...how does it feel getting your waist back, gentlemen? The way it makes your abs and upper body feel tighter and stronger, more masculine. Awesome, isn't it? biggrin

++++++++++

We've plotted a ~10 mile (16 km) trek around LSU campus using Google Earth, to cover before the game tomorrow evening. Just getting to our seats in the top section of the stadium will require lots of ramps and steps, should be quite a workout.

The sun is in the east
#4382292 - 09/30/17 08:51 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It's NICE. Last month I noticed I could comfortably wear my multitool on the front side of my belt again instead of the back. LOL
I can put on shirts and not have to do the push out and spread with my hands from the inside.
My belt wraps around to my side. I'm going to have to trim it down in a week or two.

Still a long way to go, but visual progress should speed up as the tree trunk narrows. wink
Dropping a couple of pounds makes more difference when your circumference is smaller. LOL

#4382420 - 10/02/17 01:21 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Gotta tell y'all a story, and I swear I'm not exaggerating even in the slightest...

Wife and I had a great time at the LSU game yesterday, didn't quite get in our 10 miles as we ran into family and lost a little time. She picked up the pace heading back to the stadium, I cranked up my Shuffle earbuds and stayed with her, huffing and puffing (my ego will no longer let me say, "Hold up a minute!"). We find our gate and go through check-in (ours was express as we had no bag/purse) and there's a HUGE group of people just standing around. We stood with them for a moment until she figured out they were waiting for elevators. Then she sees the ramp just a little ways over and we take off.

This was our first time in the newer nosebleed section, you can either take an elevator to the top or walk the ramps/steps. The ramps take you to the top of the original stadium, then steps (like in a typical building, but wider) take you to the top concourse.

In this *tremendous* crowd of people (see pics on "College Football!!!" thread), we saw only two other people walking the ramps, which were all but deserted (see pics below)...

Once we reached the steps (an additional 4 stories, I think) we did see a few more people, but no more than 10. Some were sitting down at the base of the landing taking a break, while others were slowly making their way up. I was secretly proud of all of them as you could tell they were struggling but putting forth the effort.

We step out onto the concourse and walk to our section, noticing the two banks of elevators let people off right at the concession areas (hotdogs, nachos, popcorn, sodas and beer). smile

I dunno, but I bet in the 1970's/80's those ramps would have been filled with people not wanting to wait for an elevator.

Attached Files LSU_stadium_ramps_01.jpgLSU_stadium_ramps_02.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 10/02/17 02:31 AM. Reason: correction: 4 stories, not 5

The sun is in the east
#4382429 - 10/02/17 03:45 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
They may have still been there at halftime! I'd say you got in your cardio.

#4384310 - 10/11/17 06:40 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Any of you guys using tracking apps for watching your intake macros and exercise?
I've been using Lose It! which has a free version, but I upgraded after a couple of months when I figured I was sticking with it.

#4384317 - 10/11/17 08:22 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
For Calorie Counting it's all in my head.

For Exercises I got a simple Excel table to make sure I rotate them appropriately.

#4384330 - 10/11/17 10:38 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Any of you guys using tracking apps for watching your intake macros and exercise?
I've been using Lose It! which has a free version, but I upgraded after a couple of months when I figured I was sticking with it.

I'm using Samsung's S Health on my Samsung S7.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4384645 - 10/12/17 10:50 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
We don't have any gadgets, like RSColonel_131st we keep a spreadsheet on a clipboard hanging in the office gym to keep up with our weights/routines. I'm not disciplined enough to count calories, I just do the best I can and keep Sunday open for any splurging and treats (always starting Sun. morning with blueberry or pecan pancakes, sausage, maple syrup and a glass of milk).

++++++++++

I'm doing so well with my feet not hurting after lots of walking (with some running) that we're pushing up our NYC trip from October of next year to April. I'll take plenty of pics on the Intrepid and other points of interest, but also of us hiking the 1,576 steps (86 floors) of the Empire State Building.

++++++++++

I'm taking another small online break, going to push out of this stagnant rut I'm in and prove (to myself and to my wife) that I can actually finish something I've started. And not just physical but also some mental efforts (education and accomplishments). I can't wait to take our final abs pics (the closest we'll come to a 'finish line') and I have some catching up to do since I don't do yoga or very much core work (adding to regular routine tomorrow).

The first of the year (time of year this thread was started) will soon be upon us, so let's get the lead out, fellas! attack

For me, the key to pushing past the final hurdles to ultimate sweet victory is found in a number...

I'll get back to this later... wacky

The sun is in the east
#4384704 - 10/13/17 08:32 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted by MarkG
The first of the year (time of year this thread was started) will soon be upon us, so let's get the lead out, fellas! attack

Holy Molly. Almost two years on this thread.

You're right, that is a wakeup call for some additional effort. Especially before the holiday season.

From monday on I'll shedule four trainings per week, for at least four weeks.

Not going to flip out on the diet, one or two more cardio evenings should account for some weightloss instead.

Page 25 of 47 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.