Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4216457 - 01/13/16 01:38 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
I just tried the workshop version in A3.

I cannot comment on much because I didn't get a mission complete yet, but I noticed one thing:

Once I disembarked my damaged tank, I was able to go stare a BMP in the eye at pointblank range, get shot at by the whole ennemy army, with many hits but no wound at all. I elected to kill the whole ennemy infantry with my new god mode, but lack of antiarmor weapons made me leave the mission before it was completed.

AI tank crews seem as stupid as ever, and Altis offers very good cover for those pesky BMPs, won't be easy.

Thanks for this mission cheers

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4216507 - 01/13/16 03:38 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: rollnloop.]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Originally Posted By: rollnloop.
I just tried the workshop version in A3.

I cannot comment on much because I didn't get a mission complete yet, but I noticed one thing:

Once I disembarked my damaged tank, I was able to go stare a BMP in the eye at pointblank range, get shot at by the whole ennemy army, with many hits but no wound at all. I elected to kill the whole ennemy infantry with my new god mode, but lack of antiarmor weapons made me leave the mission before it was completed.

AI tank crews seem as stupid as ever, and Altis offers very good cover for those pesky BMPs, won't be easy.

Thanks for this mission cheers

yes, one of the things I had to do is make the player invincible. This is down to the fact it is a single player mission and so there is no respawn ability.

In the original M1 Tank Platoon you could switch to a different tank if yours was destroyed, to simulate this in Arma3 I need the player to survive the destruction of their tank - hence you cannot die.

i will be changing this shortly so that you are only invincible for a short duration. Just long enough to switch to another tank.

#4216528 - 01/13/16 04:36 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
Good idea.

Another thing, probably not mission related though ?

When turned in, using max zoom switches to IR vision, and zooming out doesn't revert to day vision.
When turned out, binocular view would be appreciated.

Thanks again cheers

#4218016 - 01/17/16 04:38 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: rollnloop.]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

Good idea.

When turned in, using max zoom switches to IR vision, and zooming out doesn't revert to day vision.

Thanks again cheers

This depends on the mod you're using. RHS tanks are much better than CUP or vanilla, IMHO, and let you use your binos when you're turned out. Also, the vehicle optics and fire control are superior. Plus, they look way better.

#4218020 - 01/17/16 04:51 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

I posted some suggestions on the scenario's workshop page, but I'll post 'em here too.

1. Recommend you either create the option to pick RHS, CUP or Vanilla units or you make separate versions of the mission for each mod pack. I have CUP and RHS installed, and the scenario defaults to the CUP vehicles. I'd much prefer RHS, but I'd also prefer not to exit out of the game and deactivate all the CUP stuff I'd still like to have in.

Maybe when you start the scenario, you let the player pick a unit to be a part of? For example, 1-7th Cavalry of the 1st Cavalry Division would have RHS M1A2s. 2-66th Armor of the 1st Armored Division would have CUP M1A2s. Support units would be associated with these - one RHS unit would have M2A2s, another RHS unit might have M2A3s, etc. It'd let the player select the kind of unit and mod set he wants to play with.

2. Also recommend you never use dismounted infantry
. They're way too slow for a mechanized battle. Give them IFVs or APCs or Humvees or something, otherwise you might be waiting for 30 minutes for infantry to even get to a town to clear it.

3. Final recommendation for now is you rationalize your orders of battle. Don't just mix and match - a US tank platoon belongs to a tank company, which belongs to a combined arms battalion that is part of a brigade combat team. Don't just throw assets into a mission because they're cool or random - add them deliberately because that is what a tank platoon would have supporting it. The battalion scouts are in humvees or JLTVs. The infantry are in platoons with Bradleys. 155mm artillery support or battalion 120mm mortars. Give us a sustainment unit with fuel, repair and ammo HEMTTs in every battle, and mark their position on the map (or assign them to us in HC).

Playing the scenario, I'd get Dingo squads assigned to me, or HY-55s for attack helicopters. Why? A US tank company would have infantry in Bradleys, scouts in Humvees and AH-64s or A-10s as air support. Don't be generic when you don't have to be - more variety isn't always better!

Likewise for the OPFOR, use realistic templates. For example:

Force 1: Motor Rifle - picks from 2-3 BTR-70/80/82 platoons and 1-2 T-72 platoons, with ATGM and recon support.

Force 2: Mechanized Rifle - picks from 2-3 BMP-2/3 platoons and 1-2 T-72 or T-90 platoons, with some recon support

Force 3: Tank - picks from 2-3 T-72 or T-90 platoons and 1-2 BMP-2/3 platoons, with some recon support

For all forces, add random supply convoys, air support, artillery support, and/or air defense support.

#4218898 - 01/19/16 01:46 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: Hellfish6]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hellfish6
I posted some suggestions on the scenario's workshop page, but I'll post 'em here too.

1. Recommend you either create the option to pick RHS, CUP or Vanilla units or you make separate versions of the mission for each mod pack. I have CUP and RHS installed, and the scenario defaults to the CUP vehicles. I'd much prefer RHS, but I'd also prefer not to exit out of the game and deactivate all the CUP stuff I'd still like to have in.

Maybe when you start the scenario, you let the player pick a unit to be a part of? For example, 1-7th Cavalry of the 1st Cavalry Division would have RHS M1A2s. 2-66th Armor of the 1st Armored Division would have CUP M1A2s. Support units would be associated with these - one RHS unit would have M2A2s, another RHS unit might have M2A3s, etc. It'd let the player select the kind of unit and mod set he wants to play with.

. They're way too slow for a mechanized battle. Give them IFVs or APCs or Humvees or something, otherwise you might be waiting for 30 minutes for infantry to even get to a town to clear it.

3. Final recommendation for now is you rationalize your orders of battle. Don't just mix and match - a US tank platoon belongs to a tank company, which belongs to a combined arms battalion that is part of a brigade combat team. Don't just throw assets into a mission because they're cool or random - add them deliberately because that is what a tank platoon would have supporting it. The battalion scouts are in humvees or JLTVs. The infantry are in platoons with Bradleys. 155mm artillery support or battalion 120mm mortars. Give us a sustainment unit with fuel, repair and ammo HEMTTs in every battle, and mark their position on the map (or assign them to us in HC).

Playing the scenario, I'd get Dingo squads assigned to me, or HY-55s for attack helicopters. Why? A US tank company would have infantry in Bradleys, scouts in Humvees and AH-64s or A-10s as air support. Don't be generic when you don't have to be - more variety isn't always better!

Force 1: Motor Rifle - picks from 2-3 BTR-70/80/82 platoons and 1-2 T-72 platoons, with ATGM and recon support.

Force 2: Mechanized Rifle - picks from 2-3 BMP-2/3 platoons and 1-2 T-72 or T-90 platoons, with some recon support

Force 3: Tank - picks from 2-3 T-72 or T-90 platoons and 1-2 BMP-2/3 platoons, with some recon support

For all forces, add random supply convoys, air support, artillery support, and/or air defense support.

Hi Hellfish6,

Yes I saw your comments in the workshop. Definitely good ideas smile

I do like the idea of choosing realistic vehicle compositions.

Do you have any more information about what vehicles would appear with other vehicles and sizing etc? Also, any information about infantry group composition would also be really useful.

Really, any information would be greatly received and I shall of course credit you as a technical consultant in the mission smile

#4218899 - 01/19/16 01:50 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: rollnloop.]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Good idea.

Thanks again cheers

Yes, that's the RHS tanks (and 1 reason why I don't personally like to use them). I like to be able to switch optics modes myself...not be forced into thermal which is useless if vehicles are parked with engines off. They do have superior zoom though (I assume much closer to real life M1A2 tanks), but the forced thermal at max zoom kills it for me.

I've certainly not been able to find a way to switch it off smash

Last edited by MixedupJim; 01/19/16 01:50 PM.
#4219171 - 01/20/16 02:01 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

Originally Posted By: MixedupJim
Originally Posted By: Hellfish6

Hi Hellfish6,

Yes I saw your comments in the workshop. Definitely good ideas smile

I do like the idea of choosing realistic vehicle compositions.

Do you have any more information about what vehicles would appear with other vehicles and sizing etc? Also, any information about infantry group composition would also be really useful.

Really, any information would be greatly received and I shall of course credit you as a technical consultant in the mission smile

Yeah, I can definitely help. If it's easier, I can make the units - both friendly support and enemy - as an Arma3 mission for you, and you can copy/paste or merge as you want to. Let me know and I can put it on dropbox or something.

Also, have you thought about other mission types?

Maybe like:

-Reconnaissance: where you have to go to a place (player is present trigger?) but killing the enemy isn't as important? Or a "OPFOR unit is detected by player" type of trigger to look for something specific - a headquarters or supply depot maybe?

-Defend: have the enemy attack the player's position.

-Meeting engagement: have the player and the enemy meet and fight over someplace in the middle of a map (like a town or crossroad or base or something).

Just ideas.

#4219237 - 01/20/16 05:42 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

Oh, I just played the latest version and had a great time doing it. My lone M1 platoon took on a mostly BMP/BMD force with a couple of T-80s thrown in there. Getting used to commanding tanks in Arma3 is paying off. No losses for the first time!

I did almost run outta ammo, though. Gotta pay attention when you're firing from a hill that your gun barrel has as clear a LOS as your sights. I was wondering why I couldn't even see my tracers - turns out they were impacting a bump that my gun was pointing at but I couldn't see.

You've got a great mission here. Certainly the best tank mission I've played in any of the Arma series.

#4219519 - 01/20/16 07:10 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Hi hellfish6,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying it so far...hopefully it can only get better smile

If you could do a quick mission with the relevant units that would be awesome. That will make it really easy for me to translate it over to the mission generator smile

I like the idea of a recon mission, hadn't thought of that one. I think that could crop up as both a primary mission and also as a side mission (once I've got those working) smile

Even missions where you are not authorised to directly attack enemy positions yourself but have to do it via air/artillery support would put a bit of a different spin on things. I'm not sure if tanks would be used as a forward air controller, but would be fun to mark enemy units with smoke artillery etc

The meeting engagement is exactly what I have got planned (although I called it a move to engage mission) where both forces will move towards a single point and fight for control.

With regards to ammo resupply etc, I thought I would add in a random chance for a FARP to be present on the map somewhere. This would give you the option to rearm/refuel tanks, but probably not repair them (i still think this might be unrealistic during a battle - maybe repairing up to a max of 50% to simulate field repairs?)

Last edited by MixedupJim; 01/20/16 07:16 PM.
#4219681 - 01/21/16 04:40 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

I did RHS unit templates first, if only because those are what I use most often. I'm happy to do CUP or vanilla-specific versions if you like with the units they have (which could potentially include CUP's US Marines if you want to make them an option).

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00058896844684474309

Turn on markers (F6) to see descriptions and recommended numbers. Bluefor is near the airport and the OPFOR is out on the salt lake.

US Forces are what a tank platoon in a modern armored brigade combat team would expect to have for support. TUSK Abrams wouldn't be used outside of major cities, so I didn't use them - feel free to add as an option for support forces.

I broke the OPFOR templates down into a few categories:

Easy, which depicts a mid-80s style Soviet motor rifle unit. Early T-72s, BMP-1s, BTR-70s and rather unimpressive other elements.

Average, which depicts a late Soviet or Russian motor rifle unit up until about 2005 or so. T-80s, BTR-80s, BMP-2s and respectable supporting forces (artillery, aviation).

Hard is a modern, contemporary Russian motor rifle battalion tactical group through about 2020. Basic T-90s, BMP-3s, BTR-80As, and good support forces.

Extreme difficulty depicts a contemporary Russian tank battalion tactical group - more tanks (advanced T-90s), advanced BMP-3s, Ka-52s for air support, and other bits and pieces you'd expect to see.

I also did a Soviet/Russian Air Assault (VDV) forces if you want to do them too - a Soviet era one with mixed BMD-1s and BMD-2s or a modern Russian one with BMD-4s and 2S25s.

#4222463 - 01/28/16 11:08 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Hi Hellfish6,

That sounds awesome! I shall be doing some work on the mission over the next few days.

I love that you've broken them down in to era's. That means I can make the mission briefing quite accurate when saying what units you are likely to encounter and what type of force has been spotted.

Thanks for your hard work, this should help make the mission even closer to the original.

#4230383 - 02/17/16 10:36 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Just a quick update...

I have now completed the upgrade of the mission generator so that both Allied and Enemy forces are chosen form realistic company sized compositions.

Big thank you to Hellfish6 for sending me some awesome force layouts to use. I also found an online version of the manual for M1 Tank Platoon 2 which also detailed force compositions etc. This means when the briefing says you are going to engage a Motor Rifle Company then you will encounter the correct forces (including HQ platoons) and not just some random selection, right down to the correct platoon sizing for different vehicles (e.g. early T-72s will come in platoons of 4 not 3) and correct infantry units (e.g. AT units for HQ platoons).

There are still some limitations. If you play with only Arma 3 standard units then there really isn't much variation between groups and Arma 3 units will still show up even if you are using CUP or RHS.

This doesn't mean you will always know exactly what you will be up against as I have included reinforced companies as well as standard companies. In addition, companies may have already lost units in previous battles (i.e. they are now under strength) and also the ability for other forces to be attached to a company e.g. AAA attachments or Anti-tank attachments etc

The mission now generates a selection of optional targets for the player to attack if they so wish. These include things like FARPS/Supply Points, C3 positions, UAV controllers etc.

I have also updated the unit lists to include the latest vehicles from the CUP & RHS addons.

The downside is that infantry units have been downsized to only 4 units per squad. This prevents the game slowing down due to large numbers of AI but it still gives a good impression of infantry groups.

Finally, the mission is now completed when allied forces have occupied the target position rather than once a set number of units have been destroyed.

The added bonus of taking so long to build arrays to do this is that I can then utilise them in any future military missions. I'm thinking Gunship 2000 or Silent Thunder re-makes smile

Last edited by MixedupJim; 02/17/16 10:47 PM.
#4237954 - 03/08/16 07:52 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

If anyone is interested - I've setup a Kickstarter to help make this mod. I know it sounds a bit controversial but unfortunately real life is getting in the way of being able to dedicate much time to this project.

I really want to produce something that is of commercial quality rather than it going the way of a lot of complex mods and only getting half done or totally abandoned.

Anyway, here is the link - M1 Tank PLatoon Kickstarter

Development will continue either way....just a lot slower without kickstarting it smile and of course the mod will be available to all when finished either way in line with the ArmA license agreement.

#4238730 - 03/11/16 04:02 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

Backed. smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.