Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4204459 - 12/09/15 08:48 PM Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 3  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried to re-create these games using Arma3?

I've been playing around with the editor for a while and it looks like it would be possible to do even going so far as to do a full campaign and training your tank crew etc. Certainly there's enough units of the right era to make interesting encounters and good multiplayer options for multicrew tanks and the like.

I've got a little random mission generator built that picks an area of the map, assigns some random units under your control and gives you a (basic) mission to kill the enemy.

Am I crazy to try such a thing? smile

M1 Tank Platoon REDUX
---------------------

Current Version: 1.0 BETA

Download Link (Arma3): Please grab a copy from the Steam Workshop. Just search for "A3 Tank Platoon" or just "Tank Platoon"
Video Link (youtube): You can view a video of how the mission works here - A3 Tank Platoon Video

This is the first initial version of my attempt to remake the original M1 Tank Platoon by Microprose using the Arma 3 editor. The aim is to try and re-create (as best as possible) the feeling of M1 Tank Platoon using modern day software with the final goal being to have a fully functioning campaign generator and tank crew upgrade path.

REQUIRED SOFTWARE
-----------------

You will need a copy of Arma 3 as well as
Red Hammer Studios RHS:USAF
Red Hammer Studios RHS:AFRF
Both can be found here : Red Hammer Studios

CUSTOM ACTION MENU CONTROL - PLATOON COMMAND
--------------------------------------------
This new action menu gives you access to some very useful commands. Most are designed to be used in the High Command mode and allows you to take command of High Command units, remove drivers or gunners etc so you can tag along as well as complex orders for loading and unloading troops.

It also contains the Mission Support menu which gives access to air and artillery support.

You also start the main mission from here by choosing the Tank Crews LOAD UP! option.

UPDATES
-------
V1.0 BETA
- I have now released this on to Steam's workshop. You should be able to find it by searching for "A3 Tank Platoon" or just "Tank Platoon"
- As this is now on the workshop I will be only keeping that up to date.

V0.8a
- Added tasks to the mission to help guide the player
- Added tracking to enemy units so the mission now knows when all enemy units are destroyed.
- Added two successful outcomes to the mission. 1 when 70% of the enemy is destroyed and 1 when 100% of the enemy is destroyed
- Removed some more unecessary hint pop ups.

V0.7a
- Resized maps to 4km x 4km. This helps get into combat much quicker while still leaving room to manoeuvre. Feels much closer to the original M1 Tank Platoon in terms of quick combat than the original 5km x 5km maps used.
- Added code to help aircraft maintain their airspeed. Forces them to fly faster and helps them avoid enemy fire. A-10 based aircraft have a lower setting, AV8B a mid setting and the arma 3 Buzzard has the fastest setting. Downside is it leaves them less time to shoot.
- Any mechanised infantry assign to you in the mission will have each squad of infantry set as a separate High Command unit (Troops1 - 4). This gives much more freedom to drop infantry squads at multiple locations and have them recon an area or set up multiple firing positions. Their transport units can then be deployed elsewhere.
- Added hint messages showing whether CUP or RHS add-ons are detected.
- Faster mission start up
- Removed other hint messages

V 0.65
- completely re-written the unit spawn code to safely spawn vehicles and infantry
- Main commander (player) now cannot be killed allowing you to select another tank when yours is destroyed or damaged.
- Both allied and enemy infantry are selected from 4 different types (normal infantry, weapons squad (AA+AT), AT Team, AA Team)
- High Command groups are now named sensibly so you now know what they are without having to ask for their status.

V 0.6a
- Added new battleground so there are now 2 the game chooses from at random.
- Added the ability to switch tanks via the Action Menu. This works much better than using TeamSwitch (which is now disabled) as it will keep access to the Action Menu and High Command Menu.
- Added custom loadouts to aircraft.
-----The CUP AV8B now has mavericks instead of bombs
-----The Buzzard now has 4 missiles instead of 2 missiles + 2 LGBs
-----The WipeOut has had its bombs replaced with 4 missiles making it very deadly
- Infanry squads have been reduced in size to max size of 6
- Allied infantry squads are now picked from 4 different types
-----Squad - 6 man team with light anti-tank
-----Weapons Team - 6 man team with light anti-tank and anti-air weapons
-----AT Team - 4 man team with guided anti-tank
-----AA Team - 4 man team with anti-air weapons
- Enemy infantry squads are picked from a single type with light anti-tank and no anti-air weapons to help aircraft survive better.
- Allied infantry are now in a separate team to their transport allowing you to drop them off and have them move more easily through woods etc. Useful for scouting and not risking vehicles.
- Mission now chooses a random time of day for the mission
- Mission now chooses a random weather condition from fine to overcast + rain. There is no fog as the AI seems to cheat and can shoot you before they become visible!

V 0.5a
- Added support for Community Upgrade Pack (CUP) vehicle pack ( CUP Pack or from the Steam Workshop)
- You can now use RHS and CUP mods together, own their own or not at all smile
- Vehicle arrays and player tanks now chosen correctly depending on addons available.

V 0.4a
- Mission now starts with your tanks and crew in parade mode. This will be used in the future for handing out promotions and medals after a mission. For the moment it allows you to take a good look at your crew and tanks.
- New Action Menu Control! Mission will start with the new action menu open with three options
Option 1 - Mission Support - Allows you to call in air and artillery support.
Option 2 - Unit Command - SEE ABOVE FOR FULL DETAILS - Contains a whole load of advanced unit controls for both High Command and Squad Command.
Option 3 - Tank Crews LOAD UP! - this starts the mission by loading your crews in to their correct tanks and starts a 5 second count down to mission start.
- Helicopter and Airplane support are now autonomous and will engage as they see fit. They have an on station time of about 5 minutes after which they will bug out and return to base to refuel and re-arm. They will then be available to call again.
- Added patrolling additional forces who will randomly patrol enemy POI locations. Their appearance is totally random so you will have to be aware when moving to the target location.
- Tweaked artillery (at the moment it will always be available in the new Action Menu).
- FULL SUPPORT FOR PEOPLE NOT USING RHS ADDONS. If you are not using these addons then when starting the game you will be placed in an M2A4 Slammer UP and the mission will use only Arma3 default units.

V 0.3a
- Tweaked spawn points so vehicles should no longer spawn in the sea!
- Reintroduced the random chance of getting support units.
- Added some battlefield life. You will now see both allied and enemy aircraft transiting the battlefield. They will not take active part in the mission, but will feedback intel on enemy positions if they spot any and they can be shot down.
- If you do not have the Red Hammer Studios addons installed the game should fall back and substitute in Arma3 default vehicles (not fully tested)
- Enemy vehicles should do more interesting things rather than just sit there as they now have fuel!

V 0.2a
- I have now moved this mod to Arma 3. Seems more likely people will have Arma 3 and Arma 3 is still being supported. Also, it removes any issues with DLC as Arma 3 includes all DLC elements (you just can't personally use them if you don't own them, but the AI can smile ).
- I have built a single map on Altis with multiple start points and enemy encounter points. Work in progress at the moment, may need to tweak encounter points later.
- Added custom helicopter and aircraft AI to increase survivability. Arma 3 AI consists of fly straight at enemy, shoot, fly over enemy at slow speed, get shot down. The custom AI works by dynamically assigning waypoints to the aircraft. When the aircraft shoots there will be a random delay before new waypoints are assigned which should make the aircraft turn away from the enemy before it gets too close, it will the retreat towards allied lines and then line up for another attack run.
- Improved Allied spawn code. Should stop units spawning on top of each other or colliding causing the unit to fly up in the air. To do this all units must spawn stationary (i.e. no fuel). Once all units are ready, fuel will be restored.
- At the moment the mod is set to give you something of everything. So you'll get supporting tanks, mechanised infantry, artillery and full air support.
- Arma 3 vehicles are also used, but I may remove these as I'm not sure if they are balanced against the Red Hammer Studios vehicles.
- Aircraft custom load outs have been removed. I'll add them back in the next update.

V 0.1a
- Simple random mission generator for Takistan map.
- Missions will take place on a random 5km x 5km chunk of Takistan. Currently there are three 5km x 5km maps that I've created which cover the North part of Takistan. It looks like I should be able to create another 4. The rest of the map looks too mountainous for tank battles.
- Only one mission type is available at the moment which is a straight forward attack an enemy position. Future missions will include patrolling several points, defending a position and an open battle. Other possible mission could be more complex such as rescuing downed pilots or providing support of allied units already in a battle. Not sure what other mission tanks take part in!
- Your start position and the enemy position will be chosen at random from a list of suitable locations
- Your assigned forces will be chosen randomly but can comprise of 1 or more from Armoured Support (Tanks and/or Anti-Tank vehicles), Mechanised/Motorised Infantry Support with deployable infantry, Helicopter Support, Air Support and Artillery Support.
- Mission task and assigned forces will be detailed in the NOTES section of the map screen.
- Assigned units can be commanded using High Command (CTRL + SPACE usually)
- Enemy forces are randomly created with a higher chance of less modern units appearing (but more of them i.e lots to shoot!)
- Support units can be called in via the text menu when inside Tank 1 (this is for multiplayer support later)
- A-10 has modified loadout to include 6 mavericks which replace the guided bombs it usually has seeing as the AI can't use them without a laser designator.
- AV8B has 6 mavericks replacing the 6 bombs it usually has seeing as the AI is a bit rubbish when using them.
- F35B has 2 mavericks instead of its laser guided bombs.
- Aircraft have a modified script running to try and get them lined up for attack runs and then when they fire to get them to turn away from the enemy ready to line up again instead of just flying over the enemy slowly and getting shot down. You can see it automatically assigning waypoints when you call them in. It's some what successful, so at the moment they currently take no damage at all.

KNOWN ISSUES
- there is no ending for the mission...you'll have to decide when your happy to call it a win (or loss!)
- Sometimes units will spawn on top of each other and die. I think I've fixed it for all blufor units, but opfor my still get it sometimes.
- it takes about 10 seconds or so for the mission to fully create all units etc. You will know when the mission is ready as you will get the MISSION BRIEFING section in the map notes detailing where the enemy is etc.
- you can go outside the mission boundaries.
- enemy never deploys air support
- enemy never uses artillery
- Smoke artillery doesn't seem to work
- Support aircraft will appear in the High Command menu so you can order them around if you want. You will see alert messages detailing what the aircraft is doing and you may see the aircraft leave and then re-join the High Command menu. This is all by design at the moment. In the future aircraft will be autonomous and you will not be able to order them around apart from deciding when to call them in.

Last edited by MixedupJim; 01/12/16 08:10 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4204722 - 12/10/15 03:08 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

No go for it.
We armour sim enthusiasts need innovative people to try new things
I would certainly give it a try.

#4204822 - 12/10/15 09:35 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

I've had a bit more of a play today and it looks pretty do-able.

I've got a fairly basic random mission generator working. Any suggestions where to pop the files for people to try?

Not sure if I can attach zip files to posts on this forum...

#4204825 - 12/10/15 09:38 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Hammer* Offline
Hammer*  Offline

Norwich, CT
If it works and your having a good time with it, Go for it!
Most of us spend way more time than we should pretending to kill people, so crazy is the norm around here.

Yep, I don't post allot. But I still love you.
#4204827 - 12/10/15 09:45 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
I think that's fabulous! Very interesting development, I miss M1TP!

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#4204833 - 12/10/15 09:56 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Yeah, I played the original so much when I was younger (that and F15 Strike Eagle II)....I remember I'd just had a creative labs sound blaster for Christmas that year too and couldn't believe the sound effects!

The re-playability was fantastic, they just don't make 'em like that any more frown

Last edited by MixedupJim; 12/10/15 09:57 PM.
#4204843 - 12/10/15 10:43 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
If you're talking about the original M1TP Jim then yes.That was almost responsible for a divorce in my household.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4204855 - 12/10/15 11:29 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: Chucky]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chucky
If you're talking about the original M1TP Jim then yes.That was almost responsible for a divorce in my household.

Me too, also a lack of sleep, just one more mission
That bloody campaign mode. LoL

#4205026 - 12/11/15 02:29 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: marko1231123]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Originally Posted By: marko1231123

Me too, also a lack of sleep, just one more mission
That bloody campaign mode. LoL

Yes, the original just had something about it that the sequel just missed. I think it was the combination that you had just enough room to make tactical maneuvers, but not so much that it took very long to get in to combat while really wanting to keep your tank crews alive and hoping, at the start if each mission, that you'd get the Apache AND A10 in the same mission!

Love to hear what else people think made it special....especially as that's what I'm trying to capture in re-making it.

#4205046 - 12/11/15 03:37 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
For me it just had it all.Game play was king.I re-visited the PC version a few years back using DosBox.I was amazed that I could still remember most of the commands.It all came flooding back.

The fact that you could detach units from a platoon for scouting etc.Create pincer attacks,it seemed that you could do whatever you wanted.I used to love seeing what support I had for a mission.A platoon of M-60's? M113's,anti-tank infantry? Figuring out how best to utilize them.Artillery:smoke or H.E,MLRS,you had it all.And if you were lucky,the A-10,Apache or the OH-58.

I used to get really annoyed when I lost a really experienced crew doing something stupid.That's enough reminiscing for now...

As for the sequel? Nah,not even close.

#4205057 - 12/11/15 04:22 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Well, I've got a test version up, see the initial post for full details and download link.

It is single player only at the moment, but everything should work for 4 player multiplayer (each player commands a tank in the platoon) as long as the server is NOT dedicated (but I haven't tried it myself yet).

#4205063 - 12/11/15 04:39 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Ah damn,I don't have any of that DLC.Any chance of a YouTube video of it in action?

#4205075 - 12/11/15 05:35 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: Chucky]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Ah damn,I don't have any of that DLC.Any chance of a YouTube video of it in action?

No worries, I've put up a LITE version which uses Chernarus and just the units from the base Arma 2. There's only 1 map for Chernarus but it does have more mission locations. Should be enough for you to see how it all works - I will update to a version that can detect what DLC you have installed at some point . smile

#4205087 - 12/11/15 05:58 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Thanks for that,most appreciated. I'll get Arma 2 re-installed later.

#4205102 - 12/11/15 06:32 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: Chucky]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

For me it just had it all.Game play was king.I re-visited the PC version a few years back using DosBox.I was amazed that I could still remember most of the commands.It all came flooding back.

The fact that you could detach units from a platoon for scouting etc.Create pincer attacks,it seemed that you could do whatever you wanted.I used to love seeing what support I had for a mission.A platoon of M-60's? M113's,anti-tank infantry? Figuring out how best to utilize them.Artillery:smoke or H.E,MLRS,you had it all.And if you were lucky,the A-10,Apache or the OH-58.

I used to get really annoyed when I lost a really experienced crew doing something stupid.That's enough reminiscing for now...

As for the sequel? Nah,not even close.

I still have the original manual spent hours studying it.
Also The original M1 used to employee tanks on a reverse slope defence.
And it was a hell of a job to flank them.

Last edited by marko1231123; 12/11/15 06:32 PM.
#4205163 - 12/11/15 09:33 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Jim,I'm in need of a little help.

I put the mission file in the 'mission' folder but when I run it I get 'You cannot play/edit this mission;it is dependant on downloaded content that has been deleted.CATracked_E'

I have a fresh Arma 2 install and I downloaded the 'Lite' version of your file.

I do have Operation Arrowhead but it's on DVD and Arma 2 is on Steam.I did try to combine the 2 once for DayZ when it came out but I'd have had better luck performing my own brain surgery than getting that completed.

I do have Arma 3 but I guess this is 2 only?

#4205296 - 12/12/15 11:56 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: Chucky]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Hmmm, not sure what would be causing that. I'll double check to make sure there are no vehicles being used that aren't in the base Arma 2...

...ok, it should be working now. I've uploaded a new version so try that smile . I've been able to play it by launching vanilla arma 2. smile

Last edited by MixedupJim; 12/12/15 12:43 PM.
#4205445 - 12/12/15 11:10 PM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Yes,it's now working! thumbsup

#4205560 - 12/13/15 11:12 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: Chucky]  
MixedupJim Offline
MixedupJim  Offline

Awesome, I've noticed that the Aircraft support doesn't seem to work in vanilla Arma2...think it might be because of the custom loadouts. Everything else played well though, but the lack of thermal on the tanks makes it a bit more tricky to spot the enemy smile

#4205567 - 12/13/15 11:53 AM Re: Remaking M1 Tank Platoon 1/2 in Arma 2 [Re: MixedupJim]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'll be honest Jim,I'm going to have to learn how to play it.I only ever dabbled with Arma 2 and I've never used the squad function.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Arma series.I love what it can do,plus it looks great,but I hated playing it.But the chance to re-live one of my all time favourite games,well that's something I don't want to miss out on.Thanks for your effort in trying to do this and if you develop it further I could be persuaded to pick up the complete version as it's now quite cheap if it means I can fully take advantage of your work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.