Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4201118 - 12/01/15 12:47 AM iM / DI Apache Longbow  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Well, since I can't play LB2 any more (see my previous post), I decided to dust of the old iM/DI Apache Longbow CD and try it.

At first it didn't wanted to install using the Win95 installation (kept saying it my HD didn't had enough space) but after some dance I was able to install it and play it.

Then I decided to install the 3DFX patch. Again, at first it kept trying to detect the installation folder then crashed but after several attempts don't know what I did different) it finally installed.

Now, the problem is that that once it starts, the screen goes black. I tried different glide wrappers, but the same thing happens with all of them.

I also tried the same method Flyboy has on his site for the HIND version without any luck.

I know is doing something because if I take out the CD, it complains about it, but that's as far as I have been able to go.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4201224 - 12/01/15 10:22 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
If you don't mind playing in software mode, you can use DOSBox to run it.

Dependeing on the version of the game you may have graphics from newer engine (used in later F-16 Fighting Falcon)

Or the original graphics engine

Here is the taste of some missions you play

#4201226 - 12/01/15 10:36 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
But if you're searching for alternative to Longbow 2 and you are willing going through DOSBox (which isn't that hard if you played DOS games back in the day) I recommend trying Longbow 1 or Gold (with added Korea campaign) it runs without problems and is better alternative than DI Apache Longbow IMHO.

#4201249 - 12/01/15 12:17 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Thanks Damson. Yeah, I have LB Gold running on Win95 mode (could never make it work in DosBox as it keeps prompting me for the CDs, no matter how many tweaks I tried, including mounting images, mounting the real CD, etc.) and finished it a few times.

I just want to play some of the games I used to like in the "good old days".

Regarding the different versions, I though I had the 1998 version but the graphics look like the original version. Might have to look on ebay for the 1998 version (couldn't find it in Amazon).

Anyway, If I don't insert the CD, it takes me to the network window (network play) but doesn't goes much farter than that.

Last edited by The Punisher; 12/01/15 03:11 PM.
#4201492 - 12/01/15 10:57 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

some progress:

Was able to get it partially running using the Glide Wrapper (and settings) found in Flyboy's Hind section and disabling the music and animations in the prefs.cfg file.

I am able to open it and move around. When I try to fly, it works for a second or two then the screen goes black but it is still working on the background.

If I hit ALT+TAB, the screen comes back but then goes about 1/4 of the screen.

So far no luck with dgVoodoo.

#4201624 - 12/02/15 12:43 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: The Punisher
Thanks Damson. Yeah, I have LB Gold running on Win95 mode (could never make it work in DosBox as it keeps prompting me for the CDs, no matter how many tweaks I tried, including mounting images, mounting the real CD, etc.) and finished it a few times.

If you were able to install the game in DOSBox that means that you properly mounted the first CD.

While in game and going flying the game will prompt you to swap CD.

You can do it in different ways in DOSBox:

1. If you mount your CD/DVD ROM drive and use your phisical CD's you just swap them like in the past days.

If your CD/DVD ROM drive is letter D:\ in windows then you should put this at the end of your dosbox.conf
Quote:

mount d d:\ -t cdrom

2. If you use disk images of your CD's then you can mount them in DOSBox in two ways:

• As a queue of 3 CD's assigned to 1 virtual drive in DOSBox
Quote:
imgmount d c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg_cd1.iso c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg_cd2.iso c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg_cd3.iso -t cdrom

it will mount the first CD, then while in DOSBox you can press CTRL+F4 to swap to next image defined in dosbox.conf file.

Note that if your path to the image file contains at least one space then you must use double quotation marks or the image won't mount! Below is an example for the files named as "lbg cd1.iso" instead of "lbg_cd1.iso".

Quote:
imgmount d "c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg cd1.iso" "c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg cd2.iso" "c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg cd3.iso" -t cdrom

• As a 3 CD's assigned to 3 virtual drives in DOSBox
Quote:

imgmount d c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg_cd1.iso -t cdrom
imgmount e c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg_cd2.iso -t cdrom
imgmount f c:\dosgames\iso\lbg\lbg_cd3.iso -t cdrom

Then you don't have to swap them while in game, you can completely forget about that as the game "sees" all the CD's at the same time and will not prompt you to switch disks at all - most convienient solution - I personally use it.

3. Similar to 1. solution you can use your windows virtual device instead of phisical one (you must have software to emulate virtual device which can mount CD/DVD images - for example Daemon Tools):

If your virtual device letter is E:\ (in windows) then in dosbox.conf you add:

Quote:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom

and when game prompts you to change the CD you must mount another image with Daemon Tools inside windows.

I just want to play some of the games I used to like in the "good old days".

Regarding the different versions, I though I had the 1998 version but the graphics look like the original version. Might have to look on ebay for the 1998 version (couldn't find it in Amazon).

Be sure it's SoldOut release. I got mine on ebay some time ago dirt cheap (in jewel case).

Anyway, If I don't insert the CD, it takes me to the network window (network play) but doesn't goes much farter than that.

That's normal. It was this way so if you had 1 CD you could still play multiplayer with a friend.

#4201628 - 12/02/15 12:58 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Last time I tried DI Apache I had a strange issue where my collective would only be recognized for half the throw of the axis. VERY annoying. I think it was via DOSBOX, as I don't recall getting the Windows version to ever work, and certainly never the 3dFX version.

Been awhile so I may be mis-remembering.

Back in the day, this was the helo sim I thought would be the big Multiplayer breakthrough. Back then, Voice Comms were almost unheard of, and IM/DI never even put text chat into the game making mulitplayer relatively useless. I did fly some MP at a sort of LAN meet with a friend. In a later patch they added some rudimentary canned messages to Wingman or CP/G but it was never really adequate.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4201702 - 12/02/15 04:03 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: damson]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Thanks Damson. Already tried all the mounting options, but wherever I start it, it keeps prompting for the CDs.

As for the CD version, I did some search and saw that the 1998 version has a different CD cover with the words Sold Out. Mine is the standard DI version (green and white CD covers and manual).

Last night I had some issues and had to do a Windows restore back from the weekend and lost all progress and had to start again. This time the 3dfx patch didn't wanted to install. As soon as it started, said "Detecting installation" (or something like that) and crashed so I had to patch it manually (manual copy of files) and I am back to were I left with the game partially running.

Lots of searching on Google but information is very little, must findings are either about LB2, Apache LB Assault or the real thing.

I could easily just play DCS BS or install EEAH/CH but none of those give me "the feeling" (heck, I could never withstand EE terrain, even with all the new textures released by some great folks, as soon as I see those river beds or forest borders, I have to close it).

Anyway, not sure were to go from here.

#4201708 - 12/02/15 04:08 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: Recluse]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Hi Recluse

Thanks for checking!

I also have problems with my old Sidewinder Joystick in DosBox . Throttle and cyclic re mixed. If I use the throttle, the helo turns and if I turn the joystick, it goes up/down.

I got it running setting the compatibility mode to Win95. One thing I noticed, with the standard Win95 version, the joystick hat only works to the sides and sown, not up. With the 3dfx version, it works all the way. if I could find why it changes screen size (and avoid it), it will be great.

#4201804 - 12/02/15 07:23 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Open up the DOSBox.conf and under the joystick section, set

SWAP34=TRUE and it should fix your stick issue.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4201819 - 12/02/15 07:55 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
What a memory! DI Apache Longbow, great game, but always prefered Hind. I also loved Jane's original Longbow, still have the CD's around, maybe I need to try it again, the Panama campaign was amazing!!

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4201850 - 12/02/15 09:01 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Hi Stratos

Yeah, both Jane's LB version were awesome but LB 1 + FPK holds a special place in my heart and mind!

#4202003 - 12/03/15 09:50 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
What is FPK?

-To the Graveyard!!

#4202004 - 12/03/15 09:53 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
hendrack Offline
hendrack  Offline

Austria
Flashpoint Korea, was an addon to LB1.

#4202007 - 12/03/15 10:12 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Ah! Had that one too. But it was really hard.

-To the Graveyard!!

#4202381 - 12/03/15 09:48 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Update: Was able to get it running on 3dfx mode with dgVoodoo 2.4 but:
- Even with all settings to full screen, it runs in a Window (which comes up a little down and to the right)
- Runs very, very slow.

Also got LB2 running with dvVoodoo 2.4 but instead of crashing after mission ending, the screen goes black and nothing happens.

Last edited by The Punisher; 12/03/15 10:59 PM.
#4202529 - 12/04/15 08:42 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
jens198 Offline
jens198  Offline

Nuremberg, Germany
Good Old Games has DI's Apache Longbow for a few bucks ... ( LINK )

Jens

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
#4203050 - 12/05/15 09:54 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Thanks Recluse!

Got it working on DosBox but haven't been able to get it fully working on Win95 with 3dfx (non 3dfx version works fine too).

I am able to open the 3dfx version and move around, but when I try to fly, it works for a second or two then the screen goes black but it is still working on the background.

If I hit ALT+TAB, the screen comes back but then goes about 1/4 of the screen.

#4204545 - 12/10/15 01:21 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
I never could get into DI's Apache Longbow. It was just too simplistic after playing Jane's LB2... not to mention too many inaccuracies in the avionics, sensors, weapons, etc.

#4204828 - 12/10/15 09:45 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Hi Flyboy

Glad to see you around!!!

I see both of them just as different products for different play moods, been LB2 the real deal and DI's Apache Longbow a "stress killer" but since I still can't get LB2 to run, I will trade for DI's Apache Longbow. I can run the DOS version in DosBox but is too fast to control. In Win95 runs fine but not the 3dfx version. I finally gave up trying. I will start to play the Win95 version as I start vacations.

#4204869 - 12/11/15 12:30 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I always thought it was interesting that all the helo sims (DI Apache/Gunship!/Comanche/EECH etc) all featured the ability of the FCR in the LONGBOW/Comanche to prioritize targets with associated symbology on FCR/TSD. Of all them, the one we consider the MOST authentic (LB2) lacked this functionality!! I mean, you could set the FCR mode to LOW PRIORITY and see only wheeled vehicles (trucks, artillery) MEDIUM (Tanks, APC's) and HIGH Priority (SAM/AAA).

I always thought it was a CHEAT in the other sims until I read that is is a "real" feature. Have to say, though, I felt like I had better SA seeing everything in LB2 as the symbology was displayed the same way so you could see at a glance what was around you. It was annoying for example, to go Tank Plinking in MEDIUM Priority mode and totally miss a nearby SAM site until it had you locked and was launching!!

Last edited by Recluse; 12/11/15 12:32 AM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4205012 - 12/11/15 01:37 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Yeah, in hindsight, there were several features in various sensor modes in LB2 that were not present. However, it did also offer many things that other sims didn't. In LB2, targets were only prioritized if you created a PFZ around them (if I remember correctly). One feature that LB2 exclusively offered, but I never really used as I couldn't see the point of it, was the ability to 'zoom' on an FCR target. All it appeared to do was isolate that target so that it was the only one on the display. I'm not sure what purpose this has in the real thing either… one theory of mine (probably way out) was to use it in high clutter environments, whereby you focus more radar energy on the target to add better chance of classification. Don't know.

#4205064 - 12/11/15 04:43 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Wondering IF the original Longbow will work on DosBox? Will love to play those Panama missions again.

-To the Graveyard!!

#4205388 - 12/12/15 08:01 PM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: The Punisher]  
The Punisher Offline
The Punisher  Offline

Well, surprise, surprise, I got it running with 3dfx!!!

Set compatibility mode to WinXP SP2
Used dgVoodoo 1.5

Global Settings:
-all off
-Render API set to Direct3D9

Glide settings:
-D3D texture: 16 bit
-Always wait fir at least one vertical Sync: checked
-Texture Options: All Unchecked
-LFB Access: Enable LFB Access
-Texture Mem Sixe: 65536kb
-Resolution: 640x480 (other resolutions make it to crash, screen go black or screen gopes crazy once you start flying)
-Miscellaneous Options: All unchecked

Did a few tests and so far is working fine except:
- Sometimes works slow for a few seconds, then goes back to normal.
- Joystick throttle inverted: Throttle up - hello goes down, throttle down - hello goes up (didn't happened with plain Win95 version).

#4205472 - 12/13/15 12:21 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: Stratos]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted By: Stratos
Wondering IF the original Longbow will work on DosBox? Will love to play those Panama missions again.

It absolutely DOES!

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4205563 - 12/13/15 11:23 AM Re: iM / DI Apache Longbow [Re: Recluse]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Originally Posted By: Recluse
Originally Posted By: Stratos

It absolutely DOES!

Great news!! Now I only have to find those damn CD's...

-To the Graveyard!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.