Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
#4198898 - 11/25/15 07:03 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Progress, young padawan, you make.
Not done you are, however.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4199007 - 11/25/15 03:22 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Behemoth Offline
Behemoth  Offline

Boston, MA
You ROCK, Kome! Thanks for not giving up the War. RL can suck at one's free time, I well know.
-B

#4199147 - 11/25/15 09:48 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

So- after the longest time...

The fist screen is a good start without having to go through the mandatory MAP-Beginning.
In the middle left side there's the manufacturing closest to delivery- Three fat pieces of fortresses to bolster our defenses on the mountain.
Right side top corner the splitting of the Industrial Capacity. (IC points)

Out of 120 six and a half are for upgrading actual military units with the latest technology advancements.
This is both interesting and to be considered carefully, as completing the research for a new set of guns for the fighters or tanks is not enough- you also have to produce and field them...
Reinforcements are points spent to restock divisions with machines or ammo.
Supplies is... well, pretty much self explanatory- an army march on its stomach.
Productions are points spent on manufacturing displayed on the left side...

Consumer goods is what the population needs to keep on living.
All in all it looks sustainable. For now.

The good old research screen.
Most important now is the bottom bar with my current "expertise" in the related fields, and the leftmost bar- showing what's going to be researched soonest.

As of now a number of Armoured forces related goodies.

Ok, no A map is useful. As I begin around halfway into March situation is oddly different from real History.
Germany steamrolled its way over Poland but nearly immediately (and almost a year early) tried to take France by force.
Failing. Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg are basically gone. TO make things even more odd Switzerland sided with the Allies and was invaded.
With little success I might add.

A couple of weeks goes by and suddenly the fortresses upgrades are nearly there. (Red Elliptic Circle)
Unnoticed it went the big over-usage of stored Supplies (Green Elliptic Circle)

My problem is that even if I had double the Industrial Capacity it would still be far too little.
Having built those fortresses I really have to have the industry to catch some breath.

Luckily by the end of April a new Industrial plant is completed and I deploy it... It doesn't looks like much but it will be two very badly needed IC points more.

When assembled in the region I chose. A week- usually.

I finally can look back, at the end of this session, having reached halfway into May- and nothing new on the western front.

All the while the researches went on like this...

Good news for the tanks crew...

and the infantry...

The boffins managed to push the mind behind aircraft design forward...

And politically speaking, since I'm still affected negatively by the Japanese influence I try to act more friendly towards my immediate neighbors.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4199209 - 11/26/15 12:20 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
What is your Grand Strategy at this point ? Ride it out neutral or go for a declaration of war on Germany ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4199494 - 11/26/15 05:47 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I did some math and checked with the intelligence guys.

It looks grim.
I was kind of sure I could declare war, and wanted to do so- for two good reason:

1- Declaring war on Germany would prove beneficial as it would put me also against Japan- which is allied with the Nazi.
I would therefore break free of the influence Japan has on me and start building trust within the Allied forces.

2- I'd get to finally see some action. Maybe even conquer a new region or two. Ok, this reason is crappy.

As of now I have deployed on my front line on the Italian side of the Alps nearly 270 thousand soldiers while the Germans have just as spare soldiers laying around dozing off over 1 Million.

I simply can't hold up against that. Even with a very strong defensive posture and my fortresses.
My main problem is I mainly have Infantry. Very very few armor division.
After working so much for Combined Arms bonus and Mechanized Infantry bonus- I simply lacked the Industrial capacity to make enough vehicles.

My aircraft crewmen are valiant but you need a boot on the ground to hold the land... frown

One thing I'm thinking now is to simply button up and hold on at least as long as my Armoured Corps aren't ready.
It will take at least one more year but there's no need to rush against my ruin. I'd rather take the Scenic Route wink.

So- I do have a big amount of Armor incoming but it will take its sweet time.

How's that for Strategy?

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4199503 - 11/26/15 06:21 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Ok- This is big. Really big. Like a big huge Bear that you totally didn't see coming and now taps on your shoulder.

But let's go in order...
In a way to try and improve the relations with the other good guys I allow more of them to walk on my Nation's ground.

I also notice that finally two Armored divisions are getting ready.
The small +3 number between the 100% and their cost in IC is the amount of queued units of the same type.

I'm honestly giving all it got. Onward!

And then...
BAM!

Mobilization is the last step before invading a country.
Russia is, as we speak (or sort of), cracking its knuckles and staring badly at someone.

*GULP*

I really hope it's Germany.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4199508 - 11/26/15 06:33 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
As soon as there's a major engagement between Germany and the Bolsheviks you should stab the Nazis in the back. You would thus honor the best Italian traditions as well as do it for democracy, or something. wink

As I understand it from your previous explanations you can't declare war without actually invading somewhere (which would have been my favorite option). But a few token cross-border raids into Switzerland or Austria should be enough. You don't want to get decisively engaged, of course. Just do enough to justify the declaration of war. Once that war is declared, stop escalating and go on the defense.

#4201016 - 11/30/15 09:18 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
The Russian Bear is on the move.
jawdrop

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4201140 - 12/01/15 01:33 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Snake, actually you have to declare war before you can invade. Game won't let you attack or cross into country (unless you have transient rights) unless you declare war.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4201617 - 12/02/15 12:07 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Well then, why not declare war, and then do nothing?
I thought that wasn't an option?

#4201755 - 12/02/15 05:44 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Oh trust me- there's no such thing as a war declaration with no results...

Basically you'd witness a barbaric horde of hate, steel and guns invading whatever they can.
I put up whatever defense and last from a week to a months- depending how well my airpower works.

Trust me- it's hell on earth. With a fantastic vista (Italian Alps).

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4202034 - 12/03/15 12:16 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I wasn't suggesting that there would be no response, but the question still is if the Germans are ready and willing to commit a substantial force to invading Italy through the (contested) Alps while the Soviets are mobilizing their army at the same time. I would definitely NOT do that; particularly not after a botched and mired invasion of France AND Switzerland - at least not until after defeating the Bolsheviks (and even then France is the more pressing issue).
So you actually MIGHT be able to declare war without immediate consequences, other than cozying up to the Allies (which, I seem to remember, was your primary goal).

#4202041 - 12/03/15 12:47 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Thanks for the continuation of the AAR, komemiute.

Those figures you posted don't look too optimistic, but come on: Germany is still fighting with France and - compared to the real history - utterly underperformed so far. Furthermore they got the frontline in Switzerland at their hand. And now Stalin woke up and smells an opportunity. I sense some sort of panic in Berlin now.

This puts your not too good figures somewhat in perspective, doesn't it?

May I propose that once Germany and Russia are at each others throats and fully engaged you will declare war on Germany then? You don't even have to invade, just play it cool - send pinpricks, that should do to keep them busy. They can't properly fight at too many frontlines, and I'd say three frontlines just fill that bill.

Besides, you know Italy has to show up at the victors side in the end. wink

#4202046 - 12/03/15 01:02 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I'm with Ssnake. If your strategic goal is to join the Allies, then declaring war on Germany is the only option I know of. It comes down to timing. The mobilization by the USSR is a major development. I'd say give it about two weeks and if USSR attacks Germany, that is your starting gun. Since Germany is stalemated in France and Switzerland, everything that hurts their position adds to the success of the Allies. So the sooner Italy adds to Germany's problems the better.

I know that you worry about German ability to mount a powerful attack. However, I don't think they have the reserves to do so. They are fully engaged and not succeeding. Any forces sent against Italy will only weaken them where they are already stalemated.

I would give this USSR situation two weeks to develop. Then declare war and attack as far as you can and stay in the mountains. Seize Innsbruck, Villach, Klagenfurt line in the mountains. This will take a bite out of Germany's resources and add to your own. If you maximize the use of your mountain troops, you might be able to isolate and eliminate that German Corp in Filisur by quickly pushing into Davos and then Chur. That would have them surrounded by you and the Swiss. Isolated and out of supply. That would really put Germany back a bit. You would have not only the mountain advantage, but would be occupying the Swiss fortifications in those two provinces.

#4202247 - 12/03/15 05:59 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
AbuM Offline
AbuM  Offline

Whats your air force like anyway?

Unity is power.
#4203792 - 12/07/15 10:36 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Ahem.

#4203850 - 12/08/15 03:58 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Come on komemiute declare war on everybody and go out in a blaze of glory. biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4204142 - 12/08/15 10:42 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Off for a little trip to the kids. Will be back soon... smile

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4204143 - 12/08/15 10:45 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
No more bambini!

Bombsgedroppen!
All' arme de pixelli!

#4205204 - 12/12/15 01:15 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Beginnin mit das yellin' und screamin' und bombsgedroppen !

Page 19 of 23 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.