Hop To
#4197844 - 11/23/15 09:54 AM Steel Armor boxed on Steam  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
Hi guys

I bought the boxed edition of Steel Armor a couple of weeks ago, from Amazon. I've noticed that support for the boxed version is not up to that for the Steam version (there is only one single update for non-Steam, non-Gamersgate and that was April 2015).

With that in mind, I'm reluctant to buy the Basra DLC, and am even considering my options with the sim itself.

Anyone know if it's possible to get the sim activated on Steam (not just as a non-Steam game, which wouldn't be of any use)? I have my doubts, as there is no code of any kind with the boxed edition.

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4197847 - 11/23/15 10:04 AM Re: Steel Armor boxed on Steam [Re: FlashHeart]  
FlashHeart Offline
Old fart
FlashHeart  Offline
Old fart

52°56'N 0°02'W (UK)
I just found this statement by a mod on the Graviteam forum, last month:

Quote:
DVD version has very low priority and will be (if will be at all) updated far less frequently.

Sounds like the DVD is a con, to me - file 13 job and no more purchases from that dev - and I don't care how high the standard of their actual sims are. If this statement is fact, why still sell the boxed version?

Oh, and a relevant review on the Amazon product page, too.

"The way you keep forgeting things, you'd think you'd remember"
- my wife
#4198654 - 11/24/15 07:49 PM Re: Steel Armor boxed on Steam [Re: FlashHeart]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Flashheart that boxed version you have is probably from UIG (publisher) not GT(developer). The rights to SABoW was reacquired by GT I do believe around 3/15. As such the UIG version is obsolete and was never supported by UIG. GT supplied a few unofficial patch's to the community while the title was still in UIG's hands. My advice is to try and get a refund for your boxed version from Amazon and reacquire SABoW through STEAM or Gamersgate (I would recommend the STEAM version as it's update quicker then the Gamersgate version).

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you have to try and understand GT's position on versions of SABoW that were sold by UIG, GT was only the developer not the publisher at that time. As such GT was only paid to make the game and were never contracted for further development or even patchs. As I said earlier GT did supply the SABoW community with unofficial patch's at GT's own expense and they were under no legal obligation to do anything for SABoW while UIG owned the full rights to the title. But as with any company GT had to draw the line somewhere concerning support for titles who's rights were originally owned by someone else.
If you want I can check and see if I have any of the unofficial patches GT supplied the community for the UIG version. I can't say if they would work for sure since I never tried them with a hard copy of SABoW (I only owned the UIG Gamersgate version).

I do agree that someone needs to put a review up at Amazon steering people away from the UIG hardcopy of SABoW.
Cheers.

P.S. I did go and check those versions of SABoW on Amazon and they are the older UIG versions. GT probably cannot stop UIG from selling what it has in inventory and private owners are probably trying to dump their UIG copies to get the STEAM or newer Gamersgate version of SABoW.

Last edited by godzilla1985; 11/24/15 08:00 PM.

"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.