Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4195795 - 11/18/15 07:09 AM Star Wars Battlefront  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Anyone else playing?

My origin name is Snapdad. Add me and we can do some co-op or team stuff.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4195949 - 11/18/15 06:27 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Yea bought it yesterday but I have doubts about how much time I'll spend with it.

I'm finding it to be a bit disappointing, gameplay-wise. Graphics, sound, ambiance are all terrific but theres something lacking with the gameplay. Doesn't help that there are no squads.

I was hoping this would play more like Battlefield with a SW skin but it's much, much more casual than that.

I think the lack of maps and the thin variety of weapons are going to limit this games staying power.

I played it for only about 2 hrs before being compelled to boot up Fallout 4.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#4196064 - 11/18/15 11:43 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Agree Leemz... I've played about 12 hours, every mode... it's fun but not great... and like you said no squads, no IN GAME COMMS... make this game a SW COD not a battlefield... no teamwork, no tactics being used.

disappointed.

#4196889 - 11/20/15 08:54 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
yeah, and what's scary is that some people are saying that, to get the most out of it, you need to buy the season pass. What? So you need to spend another $50, about $110, total, to get the most out of it? Ummm, I don't think I'll be doing that.

If you strip away the Star Wars skins, this is a completely mediocre FPS game. Contrarily, if they pretty much just threw SW skins on BF4 you'd have one hell of a kick-@ss shooter set in the Star Wars universe.

They went out of their way to NOT make this a BF4 clone and, unfortunately, they wildly succeeded. Much to the games detriment, I'm afraid.

I'm curious to see if this title will evolve over time. And, I'm also curious to see what EA will do with the franchise. Allegedly, they have the rights to SW for about another 10 years so it'll be interesting to see if they develop any other genre of games. I'd love to see some games like the old Dark Forces or Jedi Knight series or an X-Wing/Tie Fighter space combat game.

This game engine looks like it would make a terrific Dark Forces/Jedi Knight type of game. I'd love to see them give it a try.

Last edited by LeemzHQ; 11/20/15 08:55 PM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
Edgar Allan Poe
#4196893 - 11/20/15 09:00 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Was very hyped about a new Battlefront. After playing the beta I gave it a pass. Sounds like I made the right choice.

I don't know that it'll be any better with time. They tend to release expansions, not changes to the core gameplay.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4197204 - 11/21/15 04:47 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Well, don't go by me. I played it for a couple more hours yesterday and, ummm, well, it's starting to grow on me. LOL

The graphics, sound, music, ambiance, etc. is just so good that it sort of sucks you in. Mind you, I still have concerns over its staying power but there'll be new FREE DLC on December 1st (providing you pre-ordered it).

And I'm worried about the grenade spam once most players rank up high enough to unlock all the explosives. But, yeah, I'm feeling better about it now than I was 48 hours ago.

It's in no way, shape or form a Battlefield game, but then again, it really wasn't supposed to be, was it? I didn't play enough of Battlefront 2 to really remember what it was like, and it was a long time ago. By the time I got into Battlefront 2 on the PC the servers were nearly empty and the people online were so much better than me that I got owned with startling regularity and I didn't stick with it long as a result.

My suggestion, if you're on the fence about it, try to rent it from Redbox or something and give it a weekend before deciding.

Edgar Allan Poe
#4197673 - 11/22/15 10:00 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I played enough to know unless they change half the underlying game it's not something I'm interested in (a CoD game with lasers).

A true Battlefront game would be cool, but I have other games to fill my ADHD shooter needs wink

#4197790 - 11/23/15 05:14 AM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
MadFinMoses is my game name

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#4200212 - 11/28/15 10:09 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I agree with a lot of his points/arguments... and then no squads or comms, kills the teamwork UNLESS you only play with friends on a party line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzvKDWcZkQs

#4200221 - 11/28/15 10:38 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
3instein Offline
3instein  Offline

Falkirk,Scotland
TotalBiscuit gives his impressions. He doesn't seem to like it either, don't blame him as apart from the sound score and setting it is bad, IMO.

Mick. smile

"An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will be eaten last"

Winston Churchill

#4200256 - 11/29/15 01:25 AM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Magnum]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Ok, well, this dude (Breaking Benjamin Singer) is not the most articulate man on the planet. And, while I agree with some of what he says, many of the things he talks about are also present in games like BF4 (i.e. snipers can kill you with one shot, someone in a tank can kill you out of nowhere, helicopters and jets can kill you from a long way off, etc.).

Honestly, I hated the beta. Hated it. The full game is better. But even when I bought the full game it took me several hours of gameplay to start to like it. It's not Battlefield, but it was never supposed to be. I wish it was more like Battlefield but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

I disagree wholeheartedly on one thing, however. I think the game IS fun. Lots of fun, once you accept it for what it is (i.e. a more casual shooter).

Granted, if you strip away the Star Wars theme you have a mediocre FPS here. BUT, the SW theme counts for a LOT of the enjoyment. The sights, sounds, music, ambiance, etc. all combine nicely for a fun experience.

This guy, to me, sounds like the type of guy who has been used to dominating in games like BF and CoD, where veterans of the game have an advantage over newbs because they've unlocked (or bought) all the weapons/vehicle upgrades and are laying waste to the inexperienced gamers.

Personally, I like that everyone has an equal opportunity to play as a Hero. Because you know damn well what would happen otherwise. Guys like him would spend the entire round playing as Luke, or Han, or Vader or the Emperor or Boba Fett and he'd finish at 59-1. As it is now, that's unlikely to happen, which I think is a good thing.

Last edited by LeemzHQ; 11/29/15 01:27 AM.

Edgar Allan Poe
#4200779 - 11/30/15 02:57 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: 3instein]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: 3instein
TotalBiscuit gives his impressions. He doesn't seem to like it either, don't blame him as apart from the sound score and setting it is bad, IMO.

Mick. smile

He sums up a lot of why I really disliked playing the game. It's an extremely shallow version of Battlefield.

#4201611 - 12/02/15 10:37 AM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Can you use a joystick to fly the TIE fighter and X Wing?

#4201818 - 12/02/15 07:55 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Trooper117]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
Can you use a joystick to fly the TIE fighter and X Wing?

I'm on the Xbox One so I really don't know.

Honestly, the aircraft fly like crap. You can't barrel roll or loop on your own. You're limited to performing those types of maneuvers as part of a "perk" (called Star Cards) in the game. Very odd design choice there, considering that aircraft in BF4, while in no way should be confused with a proper flight sim, handle far better.

If you're looking at this to do mostly air combat (and I mean AIR combat, there's no space combat) then you're better off looking elsewhere. But the infantry combat is fun.

Edgar Allan Poe
#4201882 - 12/02/15 10:27 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
To late... I'd already bought it frown
You are right, the air side of it is total crap!

Do you know... one day, someone is going to do a modern version of X-wing Alliance, and on that day I will dance with joy.
But what we have now is a dumbed down version of BF4 in a Star Wars setting, and I think I'm being kind there...

Having said that, it is gorgeous and beautiful to look at, but the game itself leaves a lot to be desired.
The one thing I can say is that I have played as Boba Fett and got to kill 100 rebels!

#4201955 - 12/03/15 01:49 AM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Now that they have the license, perhaps they'll do a proper space combat sim at some point in the future. I'd also love them to do a Dark Forces or Jedi Knight game with a compelling single player experience.

But, yeah, the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter series were flat out awesome.

It would be awesome if DICE would open the code for, perhaps, Battlefield 3 and let people mod it to add some Star Wars skins. That would be outstanding.

Edgar Allan Poe
#4204309 - 12/09/15 02:43 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
If they remake X-Wing it's going to be horrifying, mark my words. That style of game is long dead.

#4204508 - 12/09/15 11:32 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Snap]  
II_JG77_Con Offline
JG77_Con
II_JG77_Con  Offline
JG77_Con

I wont be buying it .I played the beta its not for me . Dum down game . Disapointed too .
Now X-wing as in a flight sim ..yep ill have that .

#4204514 - 12/09/15 11:53 PM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Peally]  
LeemzHQ Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
LeemzHQ  Offline
360 Gamertag = Leemz
Hotshot

Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Peally
If they remake X-Wing it's going to be horrifying, mark my words. That style of game is long dead.

Not sure if I agree. Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are very popular. I think if they did a proper recreation of the X-Wing or Tie Fighter series it could be outstanding, providing they resist the urge to make it an arcade shooter. And, of course, they'd have to completely re-do the flight models. They're atrocious in Battlefront.

Edgar Allan Poe
#4204646 - 12/10/15 10:46 AM Re: Star Wars Battlefront [Re: Peally]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Originally Posted By: Peally

Don't agree one bit... who knows what could happen in the future. It certainly doesn't have to be the current makers of Battlefront to give us an improved X Wing Alliance either...

Go onto any thread about Star Wars and this train of thought will generally crop up... many gamers into science fiction and Star Wars have been asking for a properly fleshed out and modern approach to Star Wars space combat.
Who knows... eventually someone may listen smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.