Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4197046 - 11/21/15 05:01 AM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

Non WWI release ? What format if CFS then anything with large formations may not work. How about WWII ? in low number of aircraft at one time Flying Tigers or Britian Sqns in Burma ? or The land down under flying Lend Lease Old a/c 2 engine or one engine.

image hosting 10mb limit

screen shots

upload foto

free image hosting

#4197069 - 11/21/15 08:15 AM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Hahaha, you guys can dream faster than I can read...! biggrin

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4197091 - 11/21/15 10:18 AM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well since everyone is throwing out SWAG's here I think it would be a big mistake to jump into the already well represented WW2 aerial combat market UNLESS the sim OBD gets into (and with what game/graphics engine?) does something really special to set it apart from the already crowded, yet limited market, genre.

WOFF in WW2 would of course be cool but would it be a big seller?

And based on the snail-like pace of WOFF development (and no offense intended I get the reasons) how long would it take to put out a well rounded product that will sell well out the gate? And it's going to be developed simultaneously with continuing WOFF stuff that's not exactly flooding my hard drive? And sell from the outset is a must if the goal is a marketable product that makes money.
I think the days of putting out half finished products, and then expecting people to jump on board with cash and time, is over in the jaded WW2 aerial market if the goal is high volume sales. Unless the intent is a work of passion and not economics.
Just my two cents...

#4197130 - 11/21/15 01:07 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
@ Raine:
Nice. You know, most people don't realize, how fast some of these 20ies-30ies Cars are... until you fly past them with 200+ Kilometers on the Autobahn biggrin

If we are talking about Non-WW1-Air-Combat, there really aren't a lot of Options other than WW2. Personally, the early Jet-Age of the 60ies looks interesting to me... but I don't know of any Air-Combat in this Time...

#4197133 - 11/21/15 01:18 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

It's history repeating itself. Duke, it is about money as the devs have made that clear more than once - and I can't blame them for that intention. It's a business and they need to make money and which WW1 isn't doing for them. Remember previous post where they said that they'll only add features, etc... if it's worth their time and money.

History has shown that devs who make WW1 aviation games always leave for better pastures like thirdwire and 777 did for WW2 just to name a couple.

I'm stating the facts and in no way complaining about anything. I'll just accept it. It's an inevitable end which was destined to happen... if you believe in that kind of stuff.

#4197139 - 11/21/15 01:48 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
I'm not tired of WWII at all. At all. That'd be like saying I'm tired of sex. But I *am* lonely for some Western Front action, since the Eastern Front has dominated for so long. Modern WW2 western front sims are significantly under-represented, beyond the Battle of Britain, which is just a small portion of the war. I thought I'd get the Western front itch scratched a couple years ago with DCS, but that's turned into an 80 dollar mistake for me--flying a P-51 over Nevada is NOT an ETO sim.

What if they just remade CFS3 properly? CFS3, OBD-style? Been so long since I've flown CFS3 I don't even really remember it. But they turned it into a fantastic WW1 sim. Could they turn it into a fantastic WW2 sim? Seems they could.

Plus, then:

#4197160 - 11/21/15 02:34 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
It wasn't about "blame" Olham and I get what the point of a business is.
For you and JFM I like WW2 also - all I was saying is that it is already a crowded field and to break into the market (with the CFS3 engine) might be very tough...if the goal is to make a self-sustaining business. Is it going to be another game engine? I won't hold my breath for a top to bottom make-over at the current pace.

Personally I would really like CFS3 (or WW2 in general) to get the WOFF treatment I just wonder if that is a smart way to go...if the point is to make money?
There are a lot of good and pretty good sims out there already. For "WOFF WW2" what is going to break it out from all the others?
Again I repeat development time is critical in this day and age and that has not been a OBD strength but that is no ones fault just a fact IMHO.

Of course this is all idle talk as we have no idea what this "non-WW1" sim will be.

#4197179 - 11/21/15 03:43 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
I repeat STEAMPUNK MECHA SIM set during an alternative WW1 thats gone on into the twenties and huge steam and diesel powered Mechs dominate the Battlefield. You are part of a Squadron so it could still be very much like WOFF but your controlling a huge Steam powered Contraption

Last edited by Wodin; 11/21/15 03:44 PM.
#4197182 - 11/21/15 03:52 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Or using the WOFF engine and current visual assets but this time you manage the squadron, planning flights, carrying out High Command Orders, dealing with logistics, awarding medals, confirming kills, issuing leave\rest, making sure new pilots are getting extra training and assign them to some experienced pilot whose traits will have an effect on how the new pilot gets on, managing air crews and assigning air crew to each pilot, air crew all have skills and traits and gain experience which can effect the pilot they look after whilst in the sky. Make sure there is enough to do and plan and get involved in that will effect how your squadron performs. Onto the actual flight side of things you can watch your flight in game, the current J key setting is the actual way it would play by default.

#4197188 - 11/21/15 04:05 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Some good points, Duke. But I see a vast wasteland as regards the western front of WW2. Not as bad as the PTO, or MTO, but still. Wings of Prey lacks a cohesive campaign and Strike Fighters is "Sim light" and old as dirt. What else is there that isn't so old it was made for Win 98? That's not a challenge or anything. I could be clueless. If so, I want to buy what I'm missing!

With OBD, WM wrote, "this is a given." To me, that means it's already underway or plans are underway. I.e., they've already hashed over all this stuff long ago. Plus, "we are working on a new non WW1 product..." ARE working, present tense. Unless he doesn't mean what he says--and WM strikes me as a no-BS guy--wheels are already in motion. And my speculation is the comment "non WW1" is intentionally vague, so they aren't coming off any more info yet as regards a specific theatre or war.

In any event, please no tank sims.

#4197191 - 11/21/15 04:21 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

I am always amazed, how long the devs can "keep their mouths shut" so to say - if I was in their shoes,
I would probably not be able for very long, to keep things like these new plans secret.
But I guess I know them well enough by now: they WILL keep it secret, until it is in it's final
stadium of development.
So our guess-work can continue here for many more pages - we will still be clueless.

But speculating is fun, isn't it?
Here is a well-made video about the "Flying Tigers" of Burma, to fuel your phantasies...

#4197202 - 11/21/15 04:41 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Hehe....diverging markets!
I, for one, would love a GOOD tactical tank sim covering both the Western and especially Eastern fronts. My grandfather fought on the Eastern Front for 4 years (as a side note my other grandfather fought in North Africa and Italy for the US of A). Fascinating theater and quite over looked by western readers. There was a paucity of info but that has been changing since the fall of the old Soviet Union. So much so that a lot of things people thought were always true (like the Germans could have relieved Stalingrad but for HQ interference or Citadel would certainly have succeeded in April) turn out to be apparently very incorrect...or at least need reexamination.

A modern Panzer Elite (the original!) would be cool.

#4197229 - 11/21/15 06:26 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: JFM]  
almccoyjr Offline
almccoyjr  Offline

Austell, GA.
JFM:

Of course, you could *really* surprise me and go this route:

Oh my LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2 weeks I can finally remove "Mig Alley" and finally lay it next to "Red Baron" and "Red Baron 3D" w/ "Full Canvas Jacket / Hell's Angels" addons.

plug_nickel

#4197307 - 11/21/15 10:59 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted By: Olham
I guess the devs won't tell in such an early state, or don't even know themselves, what they will go at.

In the second case, maybe you need some inspiration, devs?
Well, I am craving since many years for a good Pacific Theater simulation.
I mean, one with a really good single-player campaign.
Just my desire for something non-WW1...

Originally Posted By: Raine
And Lagonda. Had a chance to drive a 34 Lagonda Rapide in a rally in 2011. Experience of a lifetime.

Had to google that car; never heard of it before. Looks like a brother of a Bugatti?

Olham,

This was it. It was a couples rally. Not at all competitive, just semi-organized drinking and driving in Sardinia. This is taken in the Gotthard, en route to Genoa.

#4197365 - 11/22/15 01:17 AM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Wodin]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Wodin
How about a Steampunk Mech sim set during an alternative Great War.

Spot on, Wodin! 'Couldn't get much better than that.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4197366 - 11/22/15 01:21 AM Re: Sorry.. [Re: JFM]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: JFM
Oh, well. Just gimme one of these, please:
And one of these:
And one of these:
And one of these:
Or--dare I dream it--

Good going, Jim. You know how to wish big!

ps: 'must say, this has developed into an interesting thread, even though a totally irrelevant discussion. If the past is any guide (and it usually is) the Great Glacial Dev's have already made the big decisions and are now inexorably set on their path. What I wonder is, will they now get quit of the CFS3 engine? They got married to it in the first days of OFF, and once wed, no man could put asunder. But now they have a chance for a new, firey young thing. I don't know jack about gaming and game engines, but I've poked around at various programs that promise to explain it all...and don't. In the course of which, what I have found is that there are a lot of game engines out there waiting to be bought, leased or just downloaded. We've come a long way since CFS3. I'd be much surprised if the Dev's remained tied to CFS3.

Last edited by Hauksbee; 11/22/15 01:50 AM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4197370 - 11/22/15 01:37 AM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Hauksbee]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Thanks mate. Yeah would be fun. You could keep the none combat aspect of WOFF as you've be in a Mecha Squadron.

I'd want the sim part dark and diry with mud a blood covered Mechas churning out smelly thick smoke. Have a detailed damage model aswell. Lots of different Mecha models for particular jobs, fast ones for recon, a wide range of different anti mecha mecha trading arms for armour or speed or size due to big heavy tech etc etc..the german mechas be brightly coloured etc etc..I'd have some powered by steam, others diesel and more advanced ones using Tesla. SOme are one man Mechas, others have upto say four men. Some on legs others on tracks.

Originally Posted By: Hauksbee
Originally Posted By: Wodin
How about a Steampunk Mech sim set during an alternative Great War.

Spot on, Wodin! 'Couldn't get much better than that.

Last edited by Wodin; 11/22/15 01:48 AM.
#4197508 - 11/22/15 03:26 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Raine]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

[quote=Olham]Olham, This was it.
This is taken in the Gotthard, en route to Genoa.

Boy, it's a beauty! and someone let you drive this car? Is that you in the seat?
I wonder how it must feel to drive such a rarity I guess I would be VERY anxious to damage anything...

#4197514 - 11/22/15 03:36 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Yes. I'm the old ugly guy in the seat. It was a very generous and well-to-do Swiss friend with an amazing car collection who invited us to drive one of his cars. He drove a 29 Bentley. He was very trusting. The Lagonda has a centre throttle (left to right it's clutch, throttle, brake); an Armstrong-Whitworth pre-selector transmission, and purely mechanical brakes. Under the hood is a 4.5 litres inline 6 cylinder engine. Top speed is about 120 mph but the faster I did was 80 (120 km/h) on a wet autostrada. Terrifying but fun.

#4197523 - 11/22/15 03:56 PM Re: Sorry.. [Re: Raine]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Yes. I'm the old ugly guy in the seat.

You know that's fishing for compliments to write such words, right?
But the res is too low, and you are too far away; so all I can see is, that you may not
be looking as unbearably beautiful as Beau Geste, but could be a British news moderator.
That is as much compliment as I'm willing to give. biggrin

Terrifying but fun.

Yeah, I believe that! Like flying a Spitfire too low, maybe!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM