Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
#4245810 - 04/02/16 05:29 PM Re: WOFF GOLD ***** [Re: Polovski]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

In my opinion, a fully dynamic campaign for a WW1 flight sim wouldn't mean the same thing as it does for sims that model modern warfare with its incredibly powerful weapons systems.

For example, a few well-handled modern military aircraft (fixed wing or helos) can wipe out a whole tank battalion practically in a matter of minutes. That just wasn't possible in WW1 days. Aircraft had very little direct impact on the ground war compared to later conflicts. Their most important roles were in reconnaissance and artillery co-operation. Tactical ground attacks didn't really achieve anything decisive and strategic bombing was still in its infancy. They could barely hit their targets when bombing from a high altitude!

Today, it's extremely difficult to fight a conventional war with success if your enemy has air superiority. Your combat units and supply formations will simply be wiped out from the air. But this wasn't yet the case in WW1. Aircraft simply lacked the killing power they had a quarter of a century later in WW2, not to mention modern days.

Currently WOFF does have some dynamic aspects, like a limited number of airplanes and pilots for squadrons. If you suffer too many casualties, your unit will be grounded until replacements can be delivered.

If more dynamism is added to WOFF's campaign system, it would have to be mostly small things to keep everything as historically accurate as possible. But the nature of the Great War in the air simply makes it impossible to have a fully dynamic campaign in the style of Falcon or Longbow 2.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4249237 - 04/13/16 12:28 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: Wolfstriked]  
SirMike1983 Offline
SirMike1983  Offline

I would buy WOFF Gold. But I agree that the engine is long in the tooth and can always use upgrading.

Originally Posted By: Wolfstriked
Many misconceptions have arisen over the last few weeks.
Here are OBDs plans for the future:

1) There will be ongoing addons for WOFF2 - this is a given.

2) We are working on a new non WW1 product - this is a given.

3) We are contemplating a WOFF Gold (WOFF3) and deciding what should be in it if at all.

Item 3) is the only debate going on on our side - in other words we are contemplating is the core WOFF engine done - or do we put more into it.
Not more planes - that falls into category 1) - but more sim engine/system/code functionality.....

Well thats our current roadmap.

WM

Wow,just found this after reading thru alot of past posts.Did not know about the Non WW1 project.Or that WOFF 3 is being decided on the idea that the WOFF engine is done or should more work be put into sim engine/system/code functionality.....
Would love to hear what the ideas are of tweaks done to the sim engine and think that the WOFF players should also be valuable in giving suggestions as to what should be next step.I for one find WOFF to look a magnitude better than the other flight sims I play and wonder if a new engine would give the same look.That said the new project is not WW1 related so....

#4249249 - 04/13/16 01:40 AM Re: WOFF GOLD [Re: SirMike1983]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: SirMike1983
I would buy WOFF Gold. But I agree that the engine is long in the tooth and can always use upgrading.

They decided to call it WOFF 3 and the dev page for it is here:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/woff_expansion_3.html

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics