Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4184342 - 10/21/15 01:59 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Before I got to the end of this I was going to suggest MJ and I am glad you have found a way to get some, if you are not into smoking it it might be better for you if you ingest it through edibles (and the results are much better for pain that way as well) it requires some prep to get it to a usable state and Google is your friend for how to do that but in your case I think it might be best way. It sounds like you have a pretty good attitude, good on you and good luck.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4184362 - 10/21/15 02:38 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I think we'll get the medical MJ soon enough. The resolution last year was poorly worded so it got pounced on for the technicalities of being too easy for just anyone to grow it and sell it. I don't know about recreational, of course, that will certainly take longer.

Of course, when you have presidential candidates saying they're worse than cigarettes rolleyes some people will never learn. That's because they already know so there's nothing for them to learn.

Leave the politics out of it. You have been warned before that Community Hall is not the place for it.

The Jedi Master

Last edited by oldgrognard; 10/21/15 03:54 PM.

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4184421 - 10/21/15 05:03 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I hope things keep getting better for you Nixer. I am going thru a similar (although not as bad) thing now. Got Diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer 6 months ago. CT and PET scans found other stuff in my lungs and on my spine and shoulder blades. I have had several painful biopsy and ultrasound procedures, along with painful radiation and chemo therapies. Next week I am going in to have part of my colon removed. They don't know if I will have to wear a colostomy bag the rest of my life or not. They also wont know how far the cancer has spread until they get in there. My job was terminated because I couldn't get back to work within 90 days. I am 50 years old, and I feel like my life has fallen apart.Your health is everything, nothing comes close.

#4184463 - 10/21/15 06:47 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
You wanna call my labeling of old stupid men as narcissistic closed-minded morons "political", go right ahead. I thought it was more straight forward than that--old men are generally closed-minded morons. *shrug*

That's not what your post said. I'm not going to argue about it. Keep your politics out of Community Hall.

The Jedi Master

Last edited by oldgrognard; 10/21/15 08:22 PM.

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4184528 - 10/21/15 08:40 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
LB4LB, I didn't know you were only 50! It's terrible at any age but I wouldn't expect it at your age.

If you don't mind me asking, would a colonoscopy have detected it early enough? The problem of course is that you don't normally get a colonoscopy until you're 50, by then it can be too late.

I'm 48, getting my annual physical tomorrow (started at 41, mainly to monitor/refill BP medication). My brother is 53 and just had a bunch of non-cancerous polyps snipped, my father has had several and is always getting snipped.

I'm going to push to have one NOW, depending on cost if insurance doesn't pay until 50.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4184550 - 10/21/15 09:25 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
My surgeon said I was young to be having this issue. I had been having stomach problems for a few years. When I would talk to my doctor about my stress and anxiety issues (job changes, taking care of an elderly parent, getting caught up in the housing bubble, etc.) he would say it was all mind over matter. Finally my stomach problems got so bad it started causing me trouble at work (always having to run to the bathroom). When I turned 50 my doctor sent me to a gastroenterologist. He set me up with a colonoscopy. He stated that he had to put it down as a routine screening because my insurance would cover it 100% because of being 50. He said if he put down that I had symptoms, they (Blue Cross Blue Shield) would not cover the whole thing. I had never heard of that. I should have went earlier. My family has no history of this kind of cancer. My stress and anxiety is thru the roof now. My doctor has me on one valium per day (at night so I can sleep a little), and I take one to two hydrocodone a day from the pain of radiation treatment. Imagine the worst sunburn you ever had , times ten, on you crotch, groin, and back side area. Skin turning red, and peeling off. Not only do I have to worry about cancer now, I have to worry about who the heck is going to hire a 50 year old with a history of cancer if I ever to get truly healed. Another kicker, I do not qualify for social security disability because I am only stage 3. I have worked for 34 years, and I get nothing.

#4184560 - 10/21/15 09:49 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: LB4LB]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
LB4LB

Medicaid??

Get on the internet and search for help. American Cancer Society won't do much, but give you a huge referral list for help. I had a local Foundation who paid my Phone and cable bills, that helped.

Hang in there man. I would suggest asking the Doc to switch you to maybe Percocet (Codeine based) for a couple of weeks, then back to Hydrocodone. Rinse and repeat. It may help with a future dependency problem. Not medical advice, just something to talk to your Doc about.

Gotta be tough dude. I told both my Oncologist's one thing the first day I met them.

Cure me or Kill me!I meant it.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4184562 - 10/21/15 09:58 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees

Thank you all for the good vibes and comments. Very much appreciated. I am getting better. yep

For anyone who finds themselves or a close friend, family member in this predicament, just watch what they give you for pain. The Doc's seem to LOVE the synthetics. I did ZERO research on the internet when I was diagnosed with Cancer. I didn't want to become an internet expert and start telling my Doc's how to treat me. I just knew about Fentanyl from watching what it did to my Mom, and I did some research into that when I was getting her OFF a lot of meds when I started taking care of her full time.

They seem to like it and all the synthetics, but most of them have withdrawal symptoms that are much worse than Morphine and Codeine. The organics do make you "higher" I guess, and I had no problem with that. Hell, I was miserable and looking at maybe losing my voice or life. I needed to be higher. smile

Bottom line, if you have a life threatening severe painful illness, due some research into what they are prescribing you for pain. I am really grateful I received Morphine instead of Fentanyl. The withdrawals...well they just suck (still feeling some cramps and now some chills today after 14 days clean) but I would do it again if I had to. Fentanyl withdrawals KILL people and last MUCH longer.

The marijuana thing was not meant to be political at all. It's just ignorance. I started out on this magical Mystery Tour weighing 168 pounds. I now weigh 134 and went down to 128 lbs in September. Pot kept me eating real food for much longer than most patients and I had very little problem with nausea. I really believe I would have ended up hospitalized if pot hadn't kept me eating longer than people normally do.

One final trivia tidbit about marijuana. Some neighbors visitor smelled pot on my balcony one afternoon and the jerk called the cops. This was back in June in the middle of my treatment on a Tuesday, chemo and radiation day. I had just got home and felt like CRAP. So I sparked one up, as I had been doing for weeks out on the balcony.

Awhile later I heard this pounding on the door. It was a deputy sheriff! This guy was big, and not a very friendly fellow at all. Ranting on about pot, saying he could smell it, I could tell he wasn't having a good day. (which was BS, he was gonna come in no matter what I said about a warrant) So, I just said come on in. Right on the dining room table when we walked in there was a paper plate with a couple of buds and rolling papers, along with Morphine, Hydrocodone, Xanax. His eyes lit up, He'd hit the motherlode!

I also had my stacks of medical papers and bills right there (Don't even ask, and I had good insurance), explained I was a cancer patient. He looked at all the bottles of meds, just shook his head and said get all your pot. I did, we went into bathroom and he made me flush it. (after commenting on how strong it smelled) We shook hands and he left. Had to become a little more tricky after that.

Thanks again folks for all the good vibes and thoughts. It's very much appreciated.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4184576 - 10/21/15 10:26 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Nixer, you are right about the American Cancer Society. The first time I called them, the lady I spoke to could neither speak nor understand English. So the call that should have taken about 10 minutes took an hour. I opened a case with them, and now when I call them there is no one there to answer the phone. They don't return my e-mails or voicemails.. The ACS has been USELESS !!! The hospital I have been dealing with set me up with a cancer patient advocate. She has been useless too. Never answers her phone, or returns calls. I am now using COBRA ($524.00 a month). The company that has been handling it, Wage Works, has my account screwed up. I pay them, they take the money out of my bank account and then do not post it on their side. When I go to a doctors visit or pharmacy my BCBS card shows cancelled. I have to call them everyday. More stress I don't need. I am living of a long term disability insurance policy (UMUM) I have from my former employer. So far they have been okay, but slow to pay out. They said that after my surgery next week they will have me on some very strong pain medicine. Cancer is a f'ing nightmare all around. Good luck to you, Nixer.

#4184579 - 10/21/15 10:41 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Nixer... wow. I'm really glad the treatments nailed that cancer for you. I have to say I'm very impressed with how you handled the morphine. A lot of people never manage to find the fortitude to get back off of it.

Well done, and I hope life 2.0 (or is it 3.0 by now?) pans out well for you!

#4184583 - 10/21/15 10:45 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

If they had medicinal cannabis where you were, you could go to a dispensary where you can get oil extracts and drops you could take orally, or get chocolates or cookies. No skunk, nothing to smoke. Technology has gone way beyond smoking it.

It was never a big deal to me. Growing up in a family of alcoholics, I split from home early and did my own thing, hung out with other kids who had more a rebellious streak and they had easy access to it. Never bothered me. It wasn't however until much later in life than I would actually try it for myself and when medical mj became legal, had a prescription for it.

The interesting thing is how much more mentally I have been able to look back and think about things like I hadn't before- with a 50/50 hybrid, half indica and half sativa strains. I was able to think about things in ways I hadn't been able before. I realized just how emotionally dead I was. Life became not only more interesting to me, I gained more clarity into my own faults and shortcomings.

#4184588 - 10/21/15 10:56 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
My radiologist and chemo doctor were okay with idea of medical MJ when I mentioned it to them. They really wouldn't say either way though. My primary doctor was not too supportive of it. I too lost my apatite and lost a lot of weight. Some people say MJ helps a lot with that. I am worried that the stuff today is way too strong for me to handle. I don't like the whole paranoid thing that can happen if you use it. I have friends that have their cards and they have suggested trying it. I don't know, maybe after my surgery I might give it a try. Pain med certainly didn't help with the upset stomach thing.

#4184589 - 10/21/15 10:59 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

That's what it's known for- the munchies. Suddenly food becomes unbelieveably delicious like you've never noticed before, it actually tastes better. Flavors come out stronger and better.

#4184591 - 10/21/15 11:03 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

As far as the paranoid thing, I don't experience that, and I get the strongest doses that there are. But that depends on the person, of course.

But there are two different breeds which come in different strains, sativa and indica. One produces more of a body type high, the other is more of a mental type.

So what it can do is enhance whatever is going on. In other words, if you're paranoid about something already, it can get uncomfortable for someone who is inexperienced with it, it can possibly enhance that feeling, just like it can enhance good feelings. But I would imagine if you're dealing with serious medical complications already, the good will probably outweigh the bad here.

#4184650 - 10/22/15 02:58 AM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Mechanus]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: Mechanus
That's what it's known for- the munchies. Suddenly food becomes unbelieveably delicious like you've never noticed before, it actually tastes better. Flavors come out stronger and better.

Let me explain something to you. I am not talking about medical marijuana to get the munchies, or expanding your consciousness or because you are having a mental problem because of a bad hair day. In my case food became repulsive.

I sat down one morning for a bowl of oatmeal. I freakin loved oatmeal, always have. This time it tasted like something alien. Like a wet bowl of alum with some nice copper and aluminum flavoring put on it. A tuna sandwich...well the bread is like some kind of super absorbent rubber sponge and the tuna could be aged 30 day old soured badger meat for all I could tell. In my case, I think pot delayed this ALOT and mitigated it some too. I haven't had a real meal in prolly 4 or 5 months! Food still tastes like CRAP over 100 days after I finished up my treatments!

Where it really helped is with the chemo induced nausea, one of the most debilitating things about the whole chemo thing. People get it so bad they fall down, vomit up EVERYTHING. I hardly had it at all and that helped me be stronger mentally and physically to endure the treatment.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4184659 - 10/22/15 03:26 AM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Mechanus Offline
Mechanus  Offline

Well, I'm not saying what it does in your case. Another fellow made a statement to the effect whether it can induce appetite- and yes, that's what it can prescribed for in chemo patients who lose that. The reason why is of the known effect of causing the munchies. It's not meant to be any kind of insult to mention that.

And, marijuana is known to also help with nausea as well, so I don't at all disagree with you. And one of the benefits is that it does these things without the same kinds of side effects as prescription pain killing narcotics- which are opiates or opiate analogues. Marijuana is technically not a narcotic (and neither is cocaine), but often under that blanket term, all illegal drugs have been called narcotics, including marijuana, which is kind of where a lot of the prejudice against it comes from.

#4184832 - 10/22/15 03:11 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Nixer, my chemo doctor told me I might expect the very same symptoms you are describing. He said that many foods would be completely different to me afterwards. He also said that chemo can cause painful mouth sores too (I did experience some of that). So yes, chemo does very strange things to the body. I only experienced a little of what you did so far. I have more rounds of chemo to go. My family says I have become crabby ever since I got sick, you bet I have. It really sucks what you have to go thru. Again, I wish you the best of luck.

#4184888 - 10/22/15 05:13 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I just noticed this thread Nixer.
I was floored.
Jeez.

A real nightmare, glad you fought through it....and won.
I'm sure you have some distance to go yet, but for the most part it sounds like you beat it.
Which is, 'very' unusual. I don't think I could have done it.

Wish I could do something for you, make it easier. But we can't help each other, just 'know' the pain you are feeling, think about you, and hope for the best.
Wish you lived closer, wish I had more money and could visit, wish you didn't have to suffer like that.
Sorry about your mom BTW.

And losing the Captains license, but you'll always be a 'Captain' in my mind. Always.
I think it's 'who' you are.

Yeah, it's been a bad time for you Nixer.
Your one heck of a guy to go through all that, and your still fighting.
I'm impressed, but I kinda knew you were that kind of guy.

Keep up the fight, cause after this, it's 'over', on this planet.
Squeeze what you can out of it.

Keep in touch here, please.

Your friend,
Murphy.

"Murphy's Law"
#4184989 - 10/22/15 08:21 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Murphy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Thank you Murphy my friend.

The worst is behind me. Your sentiment is much appreciated. Everyone else' is also.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4185020 - 10/22/15 09:42 PM Re: 2015: Year from Hell OR the Luckiest of my Life? [Re: Nixer]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Best wishes to you, Nixer. And LB4LB.

I hope you feel better great, real soon!

---

Very good discussions in this thread. The MMJ can be controversial, I appreciate the civil discourse.

WC

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.