Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4182238 - 10/16/15 10:40 AM Longstop  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I spotted some mention of Longstop whilst browsing yesterday.Is this a planned future DLC? Is it something to do with you Flashburn?

The name stood out to me because it was mentioned in Spike Milligan's war memoirs.He was at Longstop.I'd be very interested in playing this.

An excerpt from a poem he wrote...

Longstop Hill, 22 April 1943

That April day
Seems far away
That day they decided to kill
Lieutenant Tony Goldsmith RA
On the slopes of Longstop Hill.

Last edited by Chucky; 10/16/15 10:47 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4182246 - 10/16/15 11:16 AM Re: Longstop [Re: Chucky]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
It was mainly me and Krabb with Gravi support. I was aiming at the 2 battles at longstop. The 1st, 1st and then the 2nd. The map was vary far along. The issue that we ran into was lack of needed assets. I could do alot but not everything. In short, we needed money. Not a lot, but more than we had which was 0.

My thinking was it was better to do it right than some half assed hack job. I still feel this way. I also liked making the map. Was a lot of work and hats off to Andrey for doing the needed back work for editor and season file. There was some tepid interest by a publisher but the offered funds where way to low and frankly insulting. Can I say this? Oh well, I did. I was not involved with any of that. I just pitched the idea to Gravi and started making stuff.

The concept is IMO golden. A small DLC or even small game. Focused around the area of Longstop. Was one of 2 critical battle areas that stopped the drive to Tunis in Dec 1942 and opened another route to Tunis in April 43. 1st battle had the British Cold Stream guards capture half the hill and then re-leaved by US forces. Where then, everything started to go tits up. At day brake after the hand over it became clear that only 1/2 the hill was captured. Somehow in planning despite maps that showed the hill had 2 parts this went unnoticed. US forces that actually got close to where they where suppose to be attacked right off. But where green and did not go well. One company with tank support totally screwed up and attacked the area around the rail way station and where totally wiped out. Free French forces also where about in the opening bit. ww1 gear VS German armor did not work out well. Cold Stream guard returned to the hill, but was too late. On Christmas day 42 a counter attack around the North of hill threatened to envelope everyone on it. Everyone that could beat feet. That ended the drive to Tunis and set the stage for such fun things as the Battle for Sidi bu Zid and Kasserine Pass.

2nd battle was the battle that gave a reprieve to the Churchill tank. Its debut battle went like crap.... All left stuck or destroyed in France with that moronic raid across the channel. The hill was vary steep. No one thought tanks could get to the top. The churchill COULD and did. They attacked with infantry, forgot who. And kicked the Germans off the hill. Was bloody thing, but the anti tank guns where facing the valley. SO the tanks simple went point blank from behind.

That was to be longstop...

Last edited by FlashBurn; 10/16/15 11:22 AM.
#4182249 - 10/16/15 11:29 AM Re: Longstop [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Thank you for your reply Flashburn. I take it then that it's permanently on hold,that's a shame.

#4182251 - 10/16/15 11:35 AM Re: Longstop [Re: Chucky]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Also we looked into Kickstarter. I was advised not to try by my people. My current state is precarious do to stupid injury after service in Iraq. Since any funds would go threw me, i would of course have to pay taxes. That is not an issue. The sudden money following to me might dick up things on my end. Still fighting with the US Veterans Administration and well, I am really poor. Go to war, get dicked up and in pain. Left to rot and fight those #%&*$# for the next 5 or 6 years. And then Ukraine tax laws are truly retarded. 1/2 of foreign money gets sucked up by their government. Makes things near impossible. Probably have to bribe some chump to get around that. As small scale thing, makes no sense to invest in any small scale international business with any out fit in Ukraine do to this.

Still want to this thing. Not that long ago it may have happened. But chances are even if it magically got funds I would most likely be left sitting out.

#4182257 - 10/16/15 11:42 AM Re: Longstop [Re: Chucky]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Just pretend this is a P38 lighting or a Hurricane with a bunch of stupid sized cannons.

#4182263 - 10/16/15 11:48 AM Re: Longstop [Re: Chucky]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Forgot... that working Tiger tank at Bovington and in the movie Fury was knocked out around the base of Longstop by a churchill tank. Not that battle but same area and time frame. biggrin

Theres a little mini battle right there...

Across the river about 2 clicks away US forces fought a big engagement with German Armor. Was a mixed bag. Some units broke and ran after taking murderous fire. Others like with a dude named Kern (my middle name even) held fast and beat off a german column of tanks and Panzer grenadiers.

My point is that while the idea was focus on longstop. The area was a hot bed of fighting between late Nov. - late Dec. And then once the mud returned to dirt in April. There is more than enough to warrant an entire GTOS style game here. Or tank sim...cough... panzer elite...

Nov. - Dec. A mixed lot of British, US and Free French. April... its all British.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 10/16/15 12:26 PM.
#4182309 - 10/16/15 12:58 PM Re: Longstop [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
It would be nice to get my hands on a Churchill yep

There is a plaque at Bovington with my name on it as a contributor to the restoration of Tiger 131.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.