Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4182125 - 10/16/15 01:06 AM OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out: Link to article

Microsoft has really pushed Windows 10 to the point where its getting annoying first they automatically installed a service that ran all the time to show the Get Windows 10 icon, and then they started automatically downloading Windows 10 onto peoples computers even when they didnt want it. Now because of an accident they automatically triggered the installer on some peoples computers.

From ArsTechnica:
Windows 10 upgrade installing automatically on some Windows 7, 8 systems
For the first year of its availability, Windows 10 is available for free to most Windows 7 and 8 users, and Microsoft has been trying to coax those users to make the switch by delivering the operating system through Windows Update. Until now, the OS has been delivered as an optional update; while Windows Update gives it prominent positioning, it shouldnt be installed automatically.
This system has already generated some complaints, as Windows Update will download the sizeable operating system installer even if you dont intend to upgrade any time soon, but, over the last couple of days, the situation seems to have become a little more aggressive. Weve received a number of reports that peoples systems are not merely downloading the installer but actually starting it up.

And from ZDNet:
Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out
Reports are circulating that some users are being presented with dialog boxes that only give them the option to start the upgrade process or reschedule it for a later date. Others are finding that the Windows Update screen is only offering them the option to begin the upgrade process, with other system updates being hidden from view.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4182143 - 10/16/15 01:50 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Lewis Offline
Lewis  Offline

Maritime Oregon.
I get a lot of chaff about my still running XP Pro, but it's things like this that make me glad I still do.

I wonder if Pol has considered doing a Linux patch for WoFF, It would be really hard to build from ground up I imagine.

Did you know that SDoE and Fighter Squadron WWI was developed on Linux OS systems?

Barmy OFFer in questionable standing, maybe collapsed in a corner?

Join the few, the touched, the moon spacklers.

[image]http://combatace.com/uploads/profile/photo-65486.jpg[/image]
#4182242 - 10/16/15 11:06 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
I just did an update this morning and did none of the "Optional" updates and just the "Critical" ones.
The first "Optional" update I looked at closely was W10 related so I skipped them all.
Hopefully MS didn't deem me going to W10 as " Critical".

#4182243 - 10/16/15 11:13 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just read the article.
I really cannot believe that there has not been some massive scream about MS's high-handed behavior in this matter.
I am stunned stupid by the whole thing and the fact they are playing this way....and being allowed to get away with it.
Wonder how many semi-computer literate folks have been forcibly "upgraded"?
Millions I bet.

#4182245 - 10/16/15 11:15 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Lewis]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Lewis
I get a lot of chaff about my still running XP Pro, but it's things like this that make me glad I still do.

I wonder if Pol has considered doing a Linux patch for WoFF, It would be really hard to build from ground up I imagine.

Did you know that SDoE and Fighter Squadron WWI was developed on Linux OS systems?

I wish there was a VIABLE alternative to Windows. I would drop them in a hot second.

#4182262 - 10/16/15 11:47 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
It's Microsoft...business as usual!

" In vino veritas "
#4182306 - 10/16/15 12:52 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Yeah, I've noticed this. It's very annoying! It's my computer - MS should have no right to decide when I must upgrade my OS.

I'm surprised that companies are allowed to behave like this. Well, okay, I'm not really surprised anymore. It seems they can get away with anything, as long as they grease the right politicians.

If there was a true alternative for Windows that would allow me to play all my sims and games without problems, I'd ditch Windows quicker than you can say "MS sucks!"

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4182340 - 10/16/15 02:06 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just booted my machine up for the first time since this mornings "Critical" updates.
No sign of W10 shenanigans.
Next time I Update I will be most cautious with everything!

#4182448 - 10/16/15 06:24 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Duke, you wonder, why there is no Protest...
a new Generation has risen. We call them Cell-Phone-Zombies.
They do not really differ from regular Zombies. Like them, they are aimlessly lurching around, bumping against Obstacles from Time to Time and keep mumbling and groaning senseless Vocals.
They don't decompose as fast as normal Zombies, and instead of eating human Brains, they permanently need to touch the Screens of their Cell-Phones and look at them.
While a regular Zombie can be taken out by a shot in the Head, that won't work with the Cell-Phone-Zombie, because he has uploaded all higher Brain-Functions into the Internet.
He can only be taken out by separating him from his Cell-Phone.
Sounds easy, but this is an almost impossible Task...

#4182456 - 10/16/15 06:34 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
It's also a change in the philosophy of personal computing, gone are the days where you buy the software and it's yours, now you are just licensing it for your use. I'm not a supporter of Microsoft, but what they are doing isn't new. It sucks for sure, but IMHO it will only get worse. I can see a day where you don't own any software, you're only licensing the use of it.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4182462 - 10/16/15 06:55 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
On my PC the KB3035583 update came through on the critical updates list, but is in fact the 'nag' installer. Also you'll find folders, probably on your C Drive which end in BT or similar. These are the back up folders generated by the Windows 10 installer, in case you want to restore your original OS within the first month of installing Windows 10. These folders are massive in size.

You can uninstall the KB nag through control panel (view all updates) and delete the OS back folders by using Clean Manager (via the start, search function). However they will probably reappear in the next 'optional' updates!!

Last edited by Sandbagger; 10/16/15 06:58 PM.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4182481 - 10/16/15 07:45 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Banjoman]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
It's also a change in the philosophy of personal computing, gone are the days where you buy the software and it's yours, now you are just licensing it for your use. I'm not a supporter of Microsoft, but what they are doing isn't new. It sucks for sure, but IMHO it will only get worse. I can see a day where you don't own any software, you're only licensing the use of it.

Yep - makes me sad. I do like that Steam is pushing linux support with their steamboxes - it's not a perfect solution (since games through steam are still very much the whole 'you have a license to use this rather than owning it') and obviously many things don't support it, but even so, the support today vs. 5 years ago is pretty astounding. The good thing is the pressure it adds for good graphics drivers/etc.

Heir to the honors associated with the Order Sphenisciformes
#4182513 - 10/16/15 08:59 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Nietzsche]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Originally Posted By: Nietzsche
Duke, you wonder, why there is no Protest...
a new Generation has risen. We call them Cell-Phone-Zombies.
They do not really differ from regular Zombies. Like them, they are aimlessly lurching around, bumping against Obstacles from Time to Time and keep mumbling and groaning senseless Vocals.
They don't decompose as fast as normal Zombies, and instead of eating human Brains, they permanently need to touch the Screens of their Cell-Phones and look at them.
While a regular Zombie can be taken out by a shot in the Head, that won't work with the Cell-Phone-Zombie, because he has uploaded all higher Brain-Functions into the Internet.
He can only be taken out by separating him from his Cell-Phone.
Sounds easy, but this is an almost impossible Task...

I am afraid you speak much truth sir. All those sci-fi books I read as a kid, about strange futures for mankind, and what people are willing to give up may be coming true!
And thanks SB - off to check if that KB wormed its way aboard.

#4182782 - 10/17/15 12:39 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
@Ace:
Steam is the perfect Example for a great Idea turned Evil. Did you know, that Yanis Varoufakis (former Minister of Treasury of Greece) was Chief-Executive-Whatever of Steam's User-Data-Analysis-Department, before?

#4182994 - 10/18/15 07:49 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

My Windows 7 box is not connected to the web at this time to hopefully avoid the win10 problems.

I too wish there was an alternative.

Regards MarkL

MarkL
#4183304 - 10/19/15 08:58 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: markl]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: markl
My Windows 7 box is not connected to the web at this time to hopefully avoid the win10 problems.

Regards MarkL

You really do not really need to stay out of the web,you just "have" to exclude automatic Wiindows updates,that's all! My Win 7 machine has never seen an MS update ever,and it's well and alive thumbsup
@Duke to see those "phantom" MS folders you have to turn on the ability to show"system hidden "files",or you'll never find them but they are there for sure eating your disk precious space. hahaha

" In vino veritas "
#4183305 - 10/19/15 09:07 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: markl

Regards MarkL

You really do not really need to stay out of the web,you just "have" to exclude automatic Wiindows updates,that's all! My Win 7 machine has never seen an MS update ever,and it's well and alive thumbsup
@Duke to see those "phantom" MS folders you have to turn on the ability to show"system hidden "files",or you'll never find them but they are there for sure eating your disk precious space. hahaha

" In vino veritas "
#4183339 - 10/19/15 11:49 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Already on it sir but thanks for the reminder.

#4183418 - 10/19/15 02:43 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
is W10 that bad???

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4183423 - 10/19/15 02:51 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: lederhosen]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted By: lederhosen
is W10 that bad???

It sounds like a bit of a lottery.It's ok for some.I was using it but came across some issues.I've just reverted back to 7 on my gaming laptop and it's probably never going to see 10 again.My only reason for wanting to use 10 (apart from a free O/S) is DX12 gaming and my current laptop doesn't have DX12 hardware.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4183488 - 10/19/15 05:23 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Chucky]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted By: Chucky
Originally Posted By: lederhosen
is W10 that bad???

It sounds like a bit of a lottery.It's ok for some.I was using it but came across some issues.I've just reverted back to 7 on my gaming laptop and it's probably never going to see 10 again.My only reason for wanting to use 10 (apart from a free O/S) is DX12 gaming and my current laptop doesn't have DX12 hardware.

Well, we had an earlier discussion on this thread. Some of us were put off by the way Micro$oft was handling the "free" upgrade; they didn't tell you that they were installing updates that were sending info about your system back to M$, and then they "premptively downloaded" the update to people's drives with absolutely no notification - including mine, which was already really tight on space to start with. That's just bad manners. It's supposed to be YOUR computer; so to my mind that's no different than if they suddenly showed up and took a room of your house for an office for one of their minions.

As well, with the new Win10, privacy seems to be eroded even further, if one can claim there is any privacy anymore. But more importantly, the EULA allows them to detect and disable any software that they deem to be "pirated" - not just your copy of Windows, but any software - as well as disable any "unauthorized devices" (whatever in the world that means). Further, with Windows 10 there is no opting out on updates - you have to take them, and what if the stupid thing bricks your box? It's not like THAT's never happened...

Now I know - before you click the box, you should read and understand every word of the EULA. And before you install an update, you should review them and click through to every Knowledge Base article about what the particular update does, as the description in Windows update has long been a completely undescriptive paragraph directing you to the KB article. But what general user can even come close to such lofty ambitions? I sure don't have the time, and despite a reasonable education, cannot stay awake long enough to read a EULA, much less understand the crapola contained therein. So we have no excuse, I suppose, but it still feels like a breach of trust.

There's my take. soapbox

Best,

Tom

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4183645 - 10/19/15 10:20 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

I also have had the Big W10 push on my machine every time I boot up. Additionally, I have been having a lot of window updates that I wish I knew what was in them. reading

#4199415 - 11/26/15 02:53 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Well, it happened to me. After studiously avoiding Win 10 until the usual start-up bugs had been ironed out, I stupidly switched automatic updates back on because I'd missed a couple of months' worth somehow, and that was that:

"Install Windows 10 now or schedule for later."

No get-out clause. Nothing. Caught with my trousers down.

So, I now have Win 10.

There are good web guides out there for managing all the privacy stuff, which is quite scary, although not being a criminal or a terrorist, I don't have anything to hide, and there is also a little program called OhShutUpWin10 which enables you to be even more selective about what gets back to M$ and its partners (whoever they might be).

There is also a way to disable automatic updates in Win 10, and that's to set your network connection as metered, i.e. as if it were a phone or tablet. Doing so stops auto updating and M$ just informs you when new updates are available for download/installation, and you just click yes to accept and install.

My big question is: has anybody run WOFF yet running Win 10??????

Fingers crossed...

#4199419 - 11/26/15 03:06 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Russkly]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: Russkly

Fingers crossed...

I'll answer my own question: it seems to run fine.

Phew!

#4199544 - 11/26/15 07:36 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

WOFF1 works with Windows 10 - you need the latest patch (v1.27)
WOFF2 already worked on Windows 10, but as always best to have the latest update installed (currently v2.13).

See the website.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4199874 - 11/27/15 06:54 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Polovski]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Pol is the final word, of course, but thought I'd share my experience:

WOFF worked in Windows10 just fine for me for about 2 days. However, the Win10 drivers for my 7870 ATI card were total crap (ATI and Win10 graphics driver problems are well documented...wish I had done more research before installing Win10).

Long story short, the Win10 drivers bricked my GPU, destroying the 3D portion of my graphics card (it looks like they didn't play nice with the fan control and GPU burned up). I was forced to reinstall Windows 7 and install a new graphics card.

My guess is that anyone with an older graphics card and older drivers is bound to have problems. ATI has dramatically increased their support for DX9 in their new Crimson software (replacing Catalyst) and newer Omega drivers, but that effort seems to be directed to their new cards. I was never an early adopter of new operating systems, I would rather wait until driver issues are sorted. I should have stuck with that, but the Win10 update notices WERE SO INSISTENT.

After re-installing Win7, I blocked the Win10 updates by opening Windows Update and hiding the following updates:
KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB2990214
I no longer get the annoying Win10 update notices. I can restore and install those updates later if I choose to do so, maybe when hell is about to freeze over.

On the plus side, I'm very impressed with Crimson software and my new ATI R7 370 budget graphics card. Despite having the same chipset as my old 7870, it seems to run about 20% faster. Time will tell if Win10 is worth migrating to again.

Last edited by BirdDogICT; 11/28/15 04:32 PM.

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#4201296 - 12/01/15 03:07 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Is this OK with FCC??

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4201500 - 12/01/15 11:32 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Yeah - the sods have just caught me too
Every time I boot up I am given a choice to install or postpone Windows 10

I installed GWX control panel to kill it
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Seems to work OK so far

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4201505 - 12/01/15 11:52 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT

WOFF worked in Windows10 just fine for me for about 2 days. However, the Win10 drivers for my 7870 ATI card were total crap (ATI and Win10 graphics driver problems are well documented...wish I had done more research before installing Win10).

Long story short, the Win10 drivers bricked my GPU, destroying the 3D portion of my graphics card (it looks like they didn't play nice with the fan control and GPU burned up). I was forced to reinstall Windows 7 and install a new graphics card.

My guess is that anyone with an older graphics card and older drivers is bound to have problems. ATI has dramatically increased their support for DX9 in their new Crimson software (replacing Catalyst) and newer Omega drivers, but that effort seems to be directed to their new cards. I was never an early adopter of new operating systems, I would rather wait until driver issues are sorted. I should have stuck with that, but the Win10 update notices WERE SO INSISTENT.

After re-installing Win7, I blocked the Win10 updates by opening Windows Update and hiding the following updates:
KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB2990214
I no longer get the annoying Win10 update notices. I can restore and install those updates later if I choose to do so, maybe when hell is about to freeze over.

On the plus side, I'm very impressed with Crimson software and my new ATI R7 370 budget graphics card. Despite having the same chipset as my old 7870, it seems to run about 20% faster. Time will tell if Win10 is worth migrating to again.

Just noticed your post and also noticed that you haven't specified other updates that should be blocked.

Add the following to your list

KB2505438 (Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts)
KB2670838 (The EVIL Update, breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websitges fuzzy, Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install)
KB2976978 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB2977759 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3022345 (Windows Telemetry)
KB3044374 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3068708 (Windows Telemetry)
KB3075249 (Windows Telemetry)
KB3080149 (Windows Telemetry)

The telemetry stuff relates to Microsofts data gathering (spying) on your activities

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 12/01/15 11:55 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4201534 - 12/02/15 01:51 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Thanks, RW! This crap makes my blood boil.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
#4201550 - 12/02/15 02:50 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: HumanDrone]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
Thanks, RW! This crap makes my blood boil.

+10 to infinity on that!!

(System_Specs)

#4202167 - 12/03/15 04:26 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
The count is 13 of these M$ downloads---- so far.

Is this "BIG BROTHER" sneaking under the tent flap??

Should I first change "M$ download" to let me choose what I want to download and install after I read it?
Then uninstall all of the 13 "above" M$10" "spywear"!

Any thing else to do? This whole "we know what is best for you crap" is contrary to my 28 years of military
"protect and defend" pledge.

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4202174 - 12/03/15 04:37 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Hi all,

I've just come across this little utility which removes the Win 10 ad and pop up:

http://win10wiwi.com/

I've run it on two Win 7 64 bit computers and all the Win 10 nags have gone. Interestingly one computer decided it needed many Microsoft Office and Windows security updates after running the program and the other machine decided to update Origin files afterwards but did not want to update anything for Office or Windows. Both machines seem to be running fine.

RedToo.

Ps The utility also offers to remove some Windows 7 and 8 components that are known to collect and send usage and behavioral data to third parties.

Last edited by RedToo; 12/03/15 04:52 PM.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4202181 - 12/03/15 04:47 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: CW3SF]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: CW3SF
The count is 13 of these M$ downloads---- so far.

Is this "BIG BROTHER" sneaking under the tent flap??

Actually, it is more like he is coming in through the front door!!

Should I first change "M$ download" to let me choose what I want to download and install after I read it?
Then uninstall all of the 13 "above" M$10" "spywear"!

+1 to that!

Any thing else to do? This whole "we know what is best for you crap" is contrary to my 28 years of military
"protect and defend" pledge.

Just take the time to read up on those updates. Use web to search for the "KB" change name and see what it does. It's a pain in the A$$ and a waste of valuable time but it is necessary to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak!

It's also worth while checking these sites for their assessment of MS updates:

SmallNetBuilder (do a google search, I can't remember the actual address)

Do a google search on this string: "MS windows spying" . It will reveal a lot of info on Win10.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)

#4202198 - 12/03/15 05:13 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Add this optional MS Update to "the ones to avoid" list

KB3112343

(System_Specs)

#4202599 - 12/04/15 02:20 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
RedToo listed a web site ( just above in this thread ) of " 10WIWI.COM " THAT "SOLVED THE WIN10 issue.

Who else has run that? And how did it work?

All of you "GURU" folks check this out, is it the answer or not!

IMO

#4202628 - 12/04/15 03:30 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: CW3SF]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
RedToo listed a web site ( just above in this thread ) of " 10WIWI.COM " THAT "SOLVED THE WIN10 issue.

Who else has run that? And how did it work?

All of you "GURU" folks check this out, is it the answer or not!

IMO

I tried that Http address for 10WIWI.com and it wasn't a valid address. I suspect RedToo had a typo in it.

(System_Specs)

#4202759 - 12/04/15 08:34 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Robert, I just went to RedToo's post just above and went to that web site to rid all of Win 10.

It looks good --- but then I am not up to speed with the rest of you folks. That is why I made the request
for the "GURU's" to check it out.

Are they for real or full of hidden adjendas frought with even worst crap than M$ 10.

#4202763 - 12/04/15 08:52 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
OK, what have I done wrong. I went to RedToo specified web site "http://www.10wiwi.com/" and got the following back from my browser:

(System_Specs)

#4202769 - 12/04/15 09:09 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Robert you have the url as 10wiwi.com actually as listed above it is win10wiwi.com

Normally I'd be a bit leary of installing something like this.
I'd do a bit of checking to see if it seemed legit.

Fortunately I've already removed the original update.

I found this.
http://www.newswire.com/press-release/users-can-now-retake-control-and-block-windows-10-sneaky-and

It does seem legit but use at your own risk.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4202799 - 12/04/15 11:00 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Stache]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Stache
Robert you have the url as 10wiwi.com actually as listed above it is win10wiwi.com

Normally I'd be a bit leary of installing something like this.
I'd do a bit of checking to see if it seemed legit.

Fortunately I've already removed the original update.

I found this.
http://www.newswire.com/press-release/users-can-now-retake-control-and-block-windows-10-sneaky-and

It does seem legit but use at your own risk.

Thanks Stache for identifying my error and yes I agree with your concerns. I have no intention of installing it, I just wanted to check out the site info. My system is already clean.

Thanks for your concerns and suggestions.

(System_Specs)

#4202889 - 12/05/15 07:51 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

#4203948 - 12/08/15 02:12 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
FYI

New post today - watch out for MS December updates.

Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

http://www.computerworld.com/article/301...html#tk.rss_all

Looks like the battle continues - Guess I'll have to check out that GWX Control panel.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4203983 - 12/08/15 03:32 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Stache, Thanks for the info.

I lack the expertice to fight the "WINX" take over, so I will give this"GWX get rid of Win 10" ,or atlease control the takeover a try.

BUT FIRST--- I would like you experts to give a rating on just how good this is along with "does it do harm".

More info please!!

#4204002 - 12/08/15 04:26 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: FsFOOT]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: FsFOOT

Well, I took the plunge and investigated GWX Control panel. I installed it and it seems to do what it says it will. Installs fine and has a good interface. The one thing I don't like about it is that it wants to start every time you boot and there is no way to turn that off. You have to respond to a prompt to run or cancel the program on each boot. It also is not listed in the Control Panel Programs and Features list so you cannot remove it from your system so easily. I had to go into reg edit to remove it's entries and then delete all traces of it from my disk drives and it was installed on all my OS disks that I boot from in my multi boot environment. That is not nice.

I have removed the program and will not re-install it unless the developer gives me control of when and how I want it to run.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)

#4204276 - 12/09/15 12:43 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Welp, I had it again last night. When I booted, it gave me the "Upgrade now or download & upgrade later" box, which I simply closed. I checked the drive, it didn't download (I always show all files & folders in the file managers, and all icons on the task bar, or tray...) I noticed the shield on my shutdown button, but no updates icon in the tray, so I ran windows update - low and behold, in the "optional updates" the "Upgrade to Windows 10" was checked WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! I made sure all updates, "important" and "optional", were unchecked - and when I shut down, it installed 23 "important" updates anyway.

Now I'm better than many at this junque, I suppose, but certainly not as good as many here - I owe a bunch of you thanks for the information. RW, it looks like I'll be uninstalling some updates tonight - you've made the list, now I'll check it twice!

This is simply rotten, impolite, heavy-handed behavior. The ordinary user would be upgrading and they wouldn't know how to stop it, and probably just shrug their shoulders and resign themselves to the inevitable. It deeply, deeply ticks me off. And I absolutely marvel that there isn't more noise about it. They probably have themselves covered legally in the mounds of tedious EULA text, but even so, I think an Attorney General or other suitable gov't. official could go after them. When I was offered the upgrade, it said I had up to a year to do it - it said nothing about unsolicited downloads and automatically selection options behind my back, and putting up nag boxes with no way out - at least for the average user.

charge cuss banghead

#4204293 - 12/09/15 02:06 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I just used the link that RedToo provided and I didn't have any problems.

#4204686 - 12/10/15 01:29 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: RedToo]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted By: RedToo
Hi all,

I've just come across this little utility which removes the Win 10 ad and pop up:

http://win10wiwi.com/

After seeing Banjoman's post I decided to try this as well, and it works well so far. Today there has been no Windows 10 update. It may be my imagination, but the computer seems to boot more quickly.

#4204744 - 12/10/15 03:49 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I'm sure it's not your imagination, that app removes a lot of junk that's unnecessary.

#4205884 - 12/14/15 04:03 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Same here, I used RedTo's "tool" and so far so good.

A few "win 10 " blue boxes, but after clicking on the small X they go way and ZERO Windows downloads
after I start to shutdown my PC!

"Ata Boy" to RedTo !!

#4207641 - 12/18/15 09:04 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Watch out for KB3035583 MS update. It pushes the Windows 10 upgrade and it just showed up again in my download today. Fortunately I don't have my system on auto.

Keep your eyes peeled for this. They keep reissuing it.

(System_Specs)

#4207652 - 12/18/15 09:19 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
I have installed the GWX control panel.

Did it before doing the updates.

It does have a monitor mode which you can choose to enable.

Robert I am not seeing the same results you reported.
I am not getting a window asking me to ok it every PC start.
And for me, it does show up under programs and features with an uninstall option.

So on mine, GWX reported I did not have the GetWindows10 program running, as I had stopped it a while ago, so my system was not nagging me.
However guess I did not do it quick enough as the GWX program found the windows 10 download directory with its 6.2GB on my C drive.

GWX 10 removed that.
I also set GWX to disable operating system upgrades so I would not have to worry about new updates.
I have also enabled monitor mode to catch anythings else.

The GWX Author has posted...
December 15, 2015: I'm half-way finished with the next major update. If you've noticed Microsoft re-enabling your Windows 10 settings while you weren't looking in the past couple of weeks, this update's gonna be for you.

December 1, 2015: I've gotten some very interesting reports from people using the new Monitor Mode feature. Different PCs are seeing different Windows 10 settings get re-enabled for mysterious reasons. They're not false alarms; these settings are really getting re-set by Windows (it's not happening to everybody, just certain users/computers), and I'm doing research and testing to see what I can do to stop it once and for all. To those of you observing this strange behavior: Hang in there; the next version of GWX Control Panel will have some some features intended to help you regain control and better understand what's happening on your PC.

So Like always - INSTALL at your own risk.

Googling for GWX Control panel finds numerous hits.

#4207675 - 12/18/15 10:23 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Stache, I think you misunderstand me. What I am saying is that the "Windows Update" process shows that The MS KB3035583 is being sent out again as another MS Update which you can choose to install or not. I just wanted to warn everyone that this is about the 6th time MS has re-issued this update, so watch for it and delete or hide it.

(System_Specs)

#4207730 - 12/19/15 12:26 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Robert,

I was following you. And thanks for letting us know abut the KB.

I was referring to your previous post about GWX Control panel.

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Well, I took the plunge and investigated GWX Control panel

The one thing I don't like about it is that it wants to start every time you boot and there is no way to turn that off. You have to respond to a prompt to run or cancel the program on each boot.

It also is not listed in the Control Panel Programs and Features list so you cannot remove it from your system so easily. I had to go into reg edit to remove it's entries and then delete all traces of it from my disk drives and it was installed on all my OS disks that I boot from in my multi boot environment. That is not nice.

I have removed the program and will not re-install it unless the developer gives me control of when and how I want it to run.

Best Regards

I am not seeing a prompt to run or cancel GWX Control Panel on each boot.

I am seeing an option to remove GWX Control panel under programs and features.

----------------

And it looks like the option in GWX control panel to disable operating system upgrade in windows update should lesson the concern of having to keep eyes peeled to check all the updates each time to see if MS reissues the update.

#4207756 - 12/19/15 01:26 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Stache]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Stache

I am not seeing a prompt to run or cancel GWX Control Panel on each boot.

I am seeing an option to remove GWX Control panel under programs and features.

And it looks like the option in GWX control panel to disable operating system upgrade in windows update should lesson the concern of having to keep eyes peeled to check all the updates each time to see if MS reissues the update.

Stache, Your first two points are good news. I did not find an entry for GWX in the "programs and features" list in Control Panel. I wonder if I had the same version as you.

I also had a prompt to run it each time I booted up.

This is all very strange. Maybe I will go have another look at that program and try it again. Can you tell me the version number of the one you are running?

Best Regards.

(System_Specs)

#4207763 - 12/19/15 01:58 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
GWX version is 1.6.0.1 from the about box.

From the site I chose the installer option
Version: 1.6.0.1
Date: November 24, 2015
Platform: PC 32/64
* Download Installer *

I did not choose the standalone executable option.
* Download Stand-alone *

#4209641 - 12/24/15 03:24 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I installed GWX some time ago, and sofar so good. Win updates are set to let me see them before instaling.

Question, Will GWX automaticaly offer the update to help keep win 10 out of our PC's or will they just download it in to the original GWX?

Win 10 pop up still comes on once in a while but when I check the X it is gone for a few more days.

Does any one have an idea as to why Win would do this sneeky & invasive procedure?

#4209719 - 12/24/15 07:12 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
In a word, because they can.

#4209907 - 12/25/15 11:51 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: CW3SF]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Does any one have an idea as to why Win would do this sneeky & invasive procedure?

A few things, all IMO of course!

1. They don't wan't Windows 7 to become another Windows XP and do whatever it takes - that includes force feeding Windows 10 to not so computer savvy people - to kill it.

2. This way the stats looks like Windows 10 is a "major success" due to the quick adoption and they use that as another argument hoping that other will swallow the bait.

3. Because they are starting to get desperate after the Windows 8.x fiasco where they drove people over
to Linux/Mac so in short they are affraid to loose the their dominant position on the desktop market.

I still use Windows 7 and will continue to do so for many years until I find good reasons to update to Windows X or switch OS completely. For now I don't see anything that benefits me with Win 10 over Win 7, on the contrary since I would have to reinstall everything from scratch and verify that all my programs/sims/HW works without issues - if it ain't broken don't fix it!

BTW, after testing W10 and also noticing that many SW developers follow MS new GUI style in their new releases I wonder if anyone else is prefering the "old classic GUI style" over the new one?

/KC

Last edited by KeyCat; 12/25/15 07:51 PM.

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4209938 - 12/25/15 03:31 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Robert and the rest of you "GURU's" are keeping up with this issue. THANK YOU ALL for this effort. KeeCat thanks for your hypothesis on why Win 10 is being pushed at us.

Questions, is KB3035583 the only "bad" download on the last few weeks ( after I and others installed GWX )?
Also, does GWX intercept and remove these automaticaly?

I have Ten Win 10 downloads ready and wonder what to do with them. Assume KB 3035583 should not be installed!

Merry Christmas to all.

#4209977 - 12/25/15 06:05 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: CW3SF]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Robert and the rest of you "GURU's" are keeping up with this issue. THANK YOU ALL for this effort. KeeCat thanks for your hypothesis on why Win 10 is being pushed at us.

Questions, is KB3035583 the only "bad" download on the last few weeks ( after I and others installed GWX )?
Also, does GWX intercept and remove these automaticaly?

I have Ten Win 10 downloads ready and wonder what to do with them. Assume KB 3035583 should not be installed!

Merry Christmas to all.

I would say "Yes" on both accounts, In particular, I have not seen any further updates that would force win10 onto us released at this time but I can't speak for everyone out there as each PC has a different environment.

Merry Christmas

(System_Specs)

#4215292 - 01/10/16 04:10 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Fortiesboy Offline
Fortiesboy  Offline

U.K.
Well, I have just read this after a frustrating afternoon. I thought that today I would use the wife's laptop which has been dormant for a few months now that a tablet is in favour.
After I used it -it runs Windows 7 - I switched it off and then the automatic updates started . Took ages for the many updates, after which the computer ran so slow it was'nt true.
Eventually I used system restore which says it has restored me to before today. And I have stopped automatic updates. And I am defragging ,but gawd knows what has been done to the computer now that I have just read this thread.

#4215995 - 01/12/16 08:54 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Russkly]  
Russkly Offline
Russkly  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: Russkly
Well, it happened to me. After studiously avoiding Win 10 until the usual start-up bugs had been ironed out, I stupidly switched automatic updates back on because I'd missed a couple of months' worth somehow, and that was that:

"Install Windows 10 now or schedule for later."

No get-out clause. Nothing. Caught with my trousers down.

So, I now have Win 10.

There are good web guides out there for managing all the privacy stuff, which is quite scary, although not being a criminal or a terrorist, I don't have anything to hide, and there is also a little program called OhShutUpWin10 which enables you to be even more selective about what gets back to M$ and its partners (whoever they might be).

There is also a way to disable automatic updates in Win 10, and that's to set your network connection as metered, i.e. as if it were a phone or tablet. Doing so stops auto updating and M$ just informs you when new updates are available for download/installation, and you just click yes to accept and install.

Fingers crossed...

The above post was from pre-Christmas, and I've subsequently also installed Win 10 on my laptop, because, frankly, I quite like it!

Using the O&O Shut Up 10 programme (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10) to control privacy settings and using the metered connection to avoid automatic updating or changing of settings, I'm finding Win 10 fine having upgraded from Win 7.

I'm absolutely no power user, but it seems to do everything Win 7 does but a bit faster and a bit slicker. Boot is faster as is programme start-up.

Most importantly WOFF runs seamlessly.

So, in summary, I too was annoyed by the Win 10 force feed, but, having been caught out by M$, I'm actually enjoying the Win 10 experience...with some caveats that one can control.

#4216144 - 01/12/16 04:54 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
That is good news ---- I hope so??

I guess time will tell, and this thread needs updating by you folks that understand more about this issue than I do.

Research and experiments on W10 should give us a better idea if it is OK or not ( or better ??).

What say you who are opposed to W10!

#4216254 - 01/12/16 09:01 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Here is one more MS Update you may or may not wish to load. Sounds like it is a lead in to allow upgrade to windows 10.

Update for windows 7 for x64 based systems (KB2952664) here is what it says:
This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

(System_Specs)

#4217258 - 01/15/16 03:17 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I am still holding off on installing any of the 15+ M$ updates that have come in over the past several weeks.

Russkly has had a positive result with Win 10.

How many others have had up or down results from Win 10?

If someone has a "spare" PC, install Win 10 and then give it a go with WOFF and any thing else you want to
see how Win 10 does. That would give us information needed to make a choice on how to proceed.

Do we fight or join up with Win 10?

#4217275 - 01/15/16 03:45 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

I will eventually upgrade my OS, but not for this rig, which is perfectly set up for running WOFF and my other sims.

The constant "Get Win 10! It will fix the world and cure cancer!" harassment by M$ seems to have gone away after I installed GWX.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

#4217344 - 01/15/16 06:11 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Alpenman Offline
Alpenman  Offline

I use windows 10 64 bit. I had to set both the WOFF.exe and CFS3.exe to use Windows xp SP3 compatibility. It would work without it, but I received crashes when exiting a missions if I didn't.

#4217434 - 01/15/16 11:26 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
The insidious tendrils of Microsoft seem to get deeper into our OS's with each release. I personally am not happy with the extent of their control of the OS in the Windows 10 release. I won't be going there unless there is no option and if I do it will only be for specific application compatibility in the future and on a separate boot system. Right now Win 7 does it all for me.

(System_Specs)

#4217589 - 01/16/16 09:45 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

If only there was a true alternative for M$ products for gamers, I'd stop using Windows right away. But there isn't, at least for now.

#4224623 - 02/02/16 09:26 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Here we go again with Microsoft releasing updates that push Windows 10 on us!

Microsoft's patching problems this week aren't dire, they're just annoying. And two patches we've come to know and loathe top the list.

KB 2952664 is the Windows 7 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade. It's now up to version 10. Microsoft might get it right one of these days. Last month Microsoft changed the patch's rating from Optional to Important. This time around in Microsoft's official list of updates, the patch is back to being Optional. Microsoft's explanation for KB2952664 states:

"Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

Introduction
This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."

KB 2976978, the Windows 8/8.1 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade, is now up to version 11. It, too, was changed from Optional to Important in early June; it, too, is now marked Optional again in the official list.

(System_Specs)

#4226011 - 02/06/16 01:56 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
One more update has come out today that will prep u for Win10. Watch for KB3123862

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 02/06/16 01:58 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4226020 - 02/06/16 02:24 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
My stack of Uninstalled M$ patches is Very Large. Good thing I have a big hard drive for my OS.

Those and others will stay there until all of this is sorted out.

Are we the only group looking at this?

#4226082 - 02/06/16 07:05 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: CW3SF]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
My stack of Uninstalled M$ patches is Very Large. Good thing I have a big hard drive for my OS.

Those and others will stay there until all of this is sorted out.

Are we the only group looking at this?

I agree with your first sentence. Regarding the last sentence, I know there are many others also looking at this. You just have to google and you hit many reports.

Cheers

(System_Specs)

#4226135 - 02/06/16 09:48 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Tango717 Offline
Tango717  Offline

Abbotsford,BC
Salute Fellow Pilots!

First of all I would like to thank Panama Red, Robert Wiggins, and many other folks that brought Windows 10 avoidance help to our attention. It sure saved my bacon.

In way of thanks, I would add one additional tip that has so far worked for me 100% of the time.

If I just stop and disable the Windows Update service, the operating system can trigger and start up the service again at different intervals without your knowledge and you could wind up with Windows 10 or other updates (Or KB's) that you don't want.

If you stop and disable the Windows Update service plus the Windows Modules Installer, Windows Updates will fail to run and execute properly under manual or system trigger start up.

Windows Updates needs Windows Modules Service to run even though it is not listed as a dependency.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit pro and I have also used this scheme successfully on my wife's laptop which is running Windows 8.

I just wanted to share this tip that has worked for me so far.

Tango

#4238368 - 03/10/16 02:15 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
You know, I'm ready to stove through someones's desk at M$ with a full swing of my woodsplitting maul!
Tonight they installed (again) the Windows 10 nagware icon, AND a Windows Performance Recorder that apparently ran ran automatically - I had to uninstall it. Is there any way to find the KB's in this list easily? I've found a few but now It's such a pain trying to find them all, they aren't in any numerical order. Do i just go the GWX route? This is too time consuming! Stinking sneaky snakes!

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB2990214

Just noticed your post and also noticed that you haven't specified other updates that should be blocked.

Add the following to your list

KB2505438 (Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts)
KB2670838 (The EVIL Update, breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websitges fuzzy, Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install)
KB2976978 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB2977759 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3022345 (Windows Telemetry)
KB3044374 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3068708 (Windows Telemetry)
KB3075249 (Windows Telemetry)
KB3080149 (Windows Telemetry)
KB3112343 too! (copied in by Human Drone to complete the list)
The telemetry stuff relates to Microsofts data gathering (spying) on your activities

#4238372 - 03/10/16 02:33 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Here's a list of everything that I could find on the thread. sorted to make it a little easier.

KB 3139929 (just found out about this one tonight) Link here
KB 3112343
KB 3080149 (Windows Telemetry)
KB 3075249 (Windows Telemetry)
KB 3068708 (Windows Telemetry)
KB 3044374 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB 3035583
KB 3022345 (Windows Telemetry)
KB 3021917
KB 2990214
KB 2977759 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB 2976978 (windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB 2952664
KB 2670838 (The EVIL Update, breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websitges fuzzy, Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install)
KB 2505438 (Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts)

Blast it all I don't have time for this. Why aren't the torches and pitchforks coming out?

#4238432 - 03/10/16 08:24 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
"Resistance is futile"

#4238448 - 03/10/16 10:23 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
DIH:
Nice quote, but I counter with "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". winkngrin

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4238465 - 03/10/16 11:58 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well actually, taking just WOFF graphics into account, W10 may be a winner.
Just talking WOFF graphics quality now. I ain't taken the blue pill.
Hope to get more testing this weekend.

#4238567 - 03/10/16 04:50 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
DIH:
You have say this several times, but what do you mean by W10 has better WOFF graphics than W7 ???

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4238627 - 03/10/16 07:27 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Again I have just started but off the top, in areas that are of course difficult to quantify, it seems with W10 the light, shadows, reflections, and color are much improved.
Too soon to tell about the area of performance. Should know this weekend.

#4238637 - 03/10/16 08:05 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Panama Red
DIH:
You have say this several times, but what do you mean by W10 has better WOFF graphics than W7 ???

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Given that the graphics card is the same in both systems I would expect no difference in quality.
If it's a subjective opinion it would be nice to confirm it with something substantial. On a subjective basis the only way to be sure would be to run two like systems side by side one with W7 and one with W10.

Duke, do you have a dual boot with W7 and W10. If so some screen captures on each OS might be helpful.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 03/10/16 08:06 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4238640 - 03/10/16 08:27 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
That would indeed be helpful but unfortunately I do not.
I am not disagreeing with your notion that there shouldn't(?) be a difference I just feel that there is.
Perhaps the W10 drivers are getting the "best" out of my GTX 970 and the rest of my system? Dunno...

EDIT: Grammar! Got to stop typing into little phone screen without reading glasses.

Last edited by DukeIronHand; 03/10/16 10:42 PM.
#4238669 - 03/10/16 10:00 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Duke just admit it, you're trying to get all of us to switch to W10. Do you get a commission or something? biggrin

#4238678 - 03/10/16 10:39 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Hehe...that would defintely be "dirty money." May be more honor in taking a pay-off from a drug cartel. Least their honest SOB's.
Not to beat the MS drum but if you do try it you have 30 days for a "one-click" roll back to your old OS. For my newer system (granted a big game machine with 90% of it being WOFF) there were no problems in the change over.
I thought the graphical difference in WOFF was quite dramatic but perception can be a funny thing I suppose.

#4238706 - 03/11/16 02:09 AM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: DukeIronHand]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
"Resistance is futile"

Very true, Duke, very true. Eventually it WILL happen. But I need a bigger SSD drive first, plus I want to be able to keep the privacy factor as high as possible. And I ain't got the time to get into an SSD swap. Or... addition...!

Plus, it just burns my hide they way they've handled this. I'm no moonbat conspiracy type, but in many ways we are starting to act like "sheeple". as others have said, if there was any other way to WOFF besides Windows, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

#4238811 - 03/11/16 12:47 PM Re: OT.....Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out [Re: Panama Red]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Oh I am not disagreeing that the malware-type action and method by MS in the roll out of W10 was BS. Unfortunately they are the only game in town.
If someone would give me a viable, working alternative I would gladly drop them in a hot second.
I don't need all the damn bells, whistles, handholding, and "help" just a clickable interface to launch .exes's.
Oh...and do my taxes once a year. I get enough "serious" computing at work.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM