Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4143903 - 07/07/15 06:38 PM Cougar and Windows 10?  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Personally I plan to stay with Windows 7 until the sims I play "force" me to upgrade but I have a friend wondering if the Cougar works on Windows 10 without issues?

I posted this question in PC HW section but guess this is a better place for it.

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4143913 - 07/07/15 07:05 PM Re: Cougar and Windows 10? [Re: KeyCat]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I can't imagine why not since CCP mainly manages the firmware, and any Foxy programs go directly to the firmware. TARGET should be compatible since that is recent enough for TM to support.

If there are any hiccups they would likely be with the installer, and hopefully the Vista x64 compatibility still works.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4143981 - 07/07/15 10:54 PM Re: Cougar and Windows 10? [Re: HomeFries]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted By: HomeFries
If there are any hiccups they would likely be with the installer, and hopefully the Vista x64 compatibility still works.

I think this is the main concern he has and reason for asking me.

Anyone tried the Cougar with Win 10 and know for sure?

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4178867 - 10/08/15 01:41 AM Re: Cougar and Windows 10? [Re: KeyCat]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

The old Vista-era installer still works. I've confirmed that already.

However, there was a bit of weirdness I had on my desktop where the CCP suddenly stopped recognizing the Cougar, but driver uninstalls and reinstalls wouldn't fix it. Despite this, the Cougar functioned fine in its default plug-and-play state.

I had to go into the Device Manager and forcefully uninstall all the Cougar-related drivers there (it helps if you know the USB VID and PID), particularly the data in/out entries, and then a driver reinstall suddenly sorted everything out. Haven't had any issues since.

I don't think that's just a Windows 10 thing, but it's something to keep in mind regardless.

Also, checking TM's driver download page suggests that for modern OSes, they consider the Cougar a plug-and-play controller to be managed through TARGET like the Warthog. You could technically do it that way, but that's not really utilizing the firmware-level control you can get out of the CCP and Foxy.

#4178922 - 10/08/15 08:46 AM Re: Cougar and Windows 10? [Re: KeyCat]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I'm using it ok on windows 10... eventually.

Installed the drivers using vista compatibility, admin privileges etc. but it wouldn't run CCP because it was missing STTubeDevice203.dll. This was despite having dealt with the exactly same problem with win 7 and knowing to copy it into the windows/syswow64 folder.

Then suddenly it started working ok. I haven't confirmed why, but suspect it was the difference between it being plugged into a USB hub rather than direct. That might have been the fault of the hub cos it was pretty cheap even though it's powered.

I can confirm that despite the problems with the Cougar sofware, it works ok as a plug and play device in windows 10 which is fine if you're happy using Target (I am, on account of using a Warthog throttle).

#4179116 - 10/08/15 05:49 PM Re: Cougar and Windows 10? [Re: KeyCat]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

Once CCP is known to work with win10, will someone post confirmation to this thread? The way I use my Cougar, I need to use CCP (to remove the stock deadzones on x/y) or else my scheme is not usable...

#4179198 - 10/08/15 08:53 PM Re: Cougar and Windows 10? [Re: Brun]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Originally Posted By: Brun
I'm using it ok on windows 10... eventually.

Installed the drivers using vista compatibility, admin privileges etc. but it wouldn't run CCP because it was missing STTubeDevice203.dll. This was despite having dealt with the exactly same problem with win 7 and knowing to copy it into the windows/syswow64 folder.

Then suddenly it started working ok. I haven't confirmed why, but suspect it was the difference between it being plugged into a USB hub rather than direct. That might have been the fault of the hub cos it was pretty cheap even though it's powered.

I can confirm that despite the problems with the Cougar sofware, it works ok as a plug and play device in windows 10 which is fine if you're happy using Target (I am, on account of using a Warthog throttle).

It's not a hub issue, I had mine plugged in directly when that same exact issue happened.

Only it didn't fix itself, or rather, I didn't give it time to. I went out of my way to start uninstalling and reinstalling drivers repeatedly, to no avail until I went into the Device Manager and started uninstalling all the Cougar-related bits there, most notably the IN/OUT devices under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section and anything else with VID_044F&PID_0400 for a hardware ID. Only then did a driver reinstall sort it out.

I wish I knew what caused it in the first place, considering the Cougar works JUST FINE, CCP and all, otherwise.

#4181760 - 10/15/15 01:15 AM Re: Cougar and Windows 10? [Re: KeyCat]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Forgive the double-post, everyone, but I think I'm a bit closer to understanding the issue.

It seems to happen every time I reboot my computer: CCP doesn't see the Cougar anymore, and it continues to not work until I go under the USB controllers section down in the Device Manager and uninstall the Cougar IN/OUT devices there, then reinstall them.

Whatever's causing it, though, isn't just a Cougar-only problem. The Novint Falcon I just picked up won't work after a reboot either, even with the drivers installed. Might have to reinstall drivers there too to get it working, at least until the next reboot.

Something's changed deep into Windows 10 that's making certain old peripherals act up out of the blue, considering these weren't issues under Windows 7 and prior. I shouldn't have to jump through this many hoops just to get something working on each and every reboot.

Okay, just noticed something else: my laptop's been through a few updates and reboots, I plug my Cougar into that, and the CCP and everything work JUST FINE. What gives?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.