Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4089001 - 03/07/15 07:08 PM Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Thanks for this wrapup Lee, I was wondering what Win10 was going to be about, and the XBox angle explains it.

I dread every single Windows release because almost inevitably it means one of my legacy games won't run anymore.

Win8 nerfed Battle of Britain II and Cliffs of Dover. Thankfully a coding whizzkid found a workaround for running Cliffs of Dover within a shell that he coded, but a workaround for BOBII was never found so the only machine I can run it on is a four year old Win7 laptop that I keep around purely for that reason.

OK, yes, it was built in 2005 for WinXP so I definitely got my money's worth before Win8 killed it nearly eight years later, but now with another flavour of Windows coming, free or not, I wonder which games it will choke on now.

Or, am I being 'glass half full'? Maybe BOBII will run on Win10?!

I can definitely wait to find out...

In my opinion the various flavours of Windows, good or bad, have all been more about driving the Microsoft money machine than adding real new features to the OS for PC users (I accept Win8 gave tablet and touch screen users something new). Ever since Win95 the OS has consisted of nice icons on your desktop that you click to run programs and...yeah that's about it. It got better search, auto update (which it needed because it is so vulnerable to hackers) and really, not much other innovation.

That cynicism though is probably because I don't know or care what goes on under the hood, unless it porks my favourite programs!

H

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4089155 - 03/08/15 03:55 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

Windows 10 is supposed to bring with something that will be especially beneficial to gamers which is Direct X 12. According to report Direct X 12 will bring substantial performance and efficiency improvements( 30 % and up) to both cpus and gpus and will work with existing gaming hardware for the most part. It will come as a free upgrade for one year for all those currently running Windows 7 and 8.1. I think just for that it will be the way to go. I think Direct X 12 may allow more people to game even with entry level desktops or laptops and those with average graphic cards will be able to ramp up the settings in their games.... I am personally optimistic.

#4089488 - 03/09/15 08:51 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
In my opinion the various flavours of Windows, good or bad, have all been more about driving the Microsoft money machine than adding real new features to the OS for PC users ... Ever since Win95 the OS has consisted of nice icons on your desktop that you click to run programs and...yeah that's about it.

That doesn't seem like a very fair summary to me.
Windows 98 was the culmination of an essentially DOS operating system with a GUI shell. Windows NT was the real innovation driver back then, and marrying the two to something that was relatively solid and relatively well-performing and suitable for consumers in its configuration etc. was a HUGE accomplishment. Windows XP was the culmination point of that development cycle but it showed its vulnerabilities to cyber attack more and more.

Vista/7 addressed, above all, much of the Cyber vulnerabilities of the conventional NT...2k...XP architecture with the rather clever invention of a virtual file system on top of the real file system, memory obfuscation, UAC, etc.; this dropped the vulnerability of the operating system to a level that is second only to openBSD as far as I can tell.
Also, they dared to deviate from the established UI conventions with Vista/7 and probably made 7 the best Windows ever. Win 8 probably had the right idea about providing software developers with a uniform environment for both server, desktop, and mobile devices, it just came too early/with an inconsistent UI (which I, I must admit it, hate with a passion despite "Classic Shell").

You haven't mentioned the HUGE innovations that MS pulled off in the server/back office area - probably because you were never actually exposed to them, but they were massive. The UI changes that you noticed, they are more or less just the packaging. What happened below the surface was arguably much more important. And then there's also the entire DirectX area. Windows 95 started with, what? DirectX 3?
One of the biggest mistake MS made IMO was to try and force Vista and Win 8 onto the market by trying to leverage DirectX (making DX10 exclusive for Vista, DX12 a Win10 exclusive, etc.) That prevented many game developers from actually using these API frameworks, and rather sticking with DX9 for a long time.

#4089489 - 03/09/15 08:57 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: frinik22]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: frinik22
Windows 10 is supposed to bring with something that will be especially beneficial to gamers which is Direct X 12. According to report Direct X 12 will bring substantial performance and efficiency improvements( 30 % and up) to both cpus and gpus and will work with existing gaming hardware for the most part.

The performance gain for gamers will be much smaller, maybe 5%.
Just like with Mantle, the high performance gain figures are coming from anaemic platforms (slow processors combined with weak GPUs), but nobody in this forum is using them anyway. Constantly feeding the "30%! W00T!" rumor mill isn't helpful as it will only generate unjustified expectations.

Quote:
It will come as a free upgrade for one year for all those currently running Windows 7 and 8.1.

...probably at the price of invalidating the old license so you can't go back once that you activated 10. That may be an acceptable price for many, but one should be aware of snags in the EULA.

#4089720 - 03/09/15 05:24 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Just want to point out that streaming is limited to your network.

Ie you cant go on a business trip and stream a game from your XBO at your house.

Obviously with geeks like me, theres a simple workaround, but the input lag would be horrendous.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4089739 - 03/09/15 05:56 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: Ssnake]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
In my opinion the various flavours of Windows, good or bad, have all been more about driving the Microsoft money machine than adding real new features to the OS for PC users ... Ever since Win95 the OS has consisted of nice icons on your desktop that you click to run programs and...yeah that's about it.

That doesn't seem like a very fair summary to me.
Windows 98 was the culmination of an essentially DOS operating system with a GUI shell. Windows NT was the real innovation driver back then, and marrying the two to something that was relatively solid and relatively well-performing and suitable for consumers in its configuration etc. was a HUGE accomplishment. Windows XP was the culmination point of that development cycle but it showed its vulnerabilities to cyber attack more and more.

Vista/7 addressed, above all, much of the Cyber vulnerabilities of the conventional NT...2k...XP architecture with the rather clever invention of a virtual file system on top of the real file system, memory obfuscation, UAC, etc.; this dropped the vulnerability of the operating system to a level that is second only to openBSD as far as I can tell.
Also, they dared to deviate from the established UI conventions with Vista/7 and probably made 7 the best Windows ever. Win 8 probably had the right idea about providing software developers with a uniform environment for both server, desktop, and mobile devices, it just came too early/with an inconsistent UI (which I, I must admit it, hate with a passion despite "Classic Shell").

You haven't mentioned the HUGE innovations that MS pulled off in the server/back office area - probably because you were never actually exposed to them, but they were massive. The UI changes that you noticed, they are more or less just the packaging. What happened below the surface was arguably much more important. And then there's also the entire DirectX area. Windows 95 started with, what? DirectX 3?
One of the biggest mistake MS made IMO was to try and force Vista and Win 8 onto the market by trying to leverage DirectX (making DX10 exclusive for Vista, DX12 a Win10 exclusive, etc.) That prevented many game developers from actually using these API frameworks, and rather sticking with DX9 for a long time.

Hi

Respect what you say, it is all fair enough, but a lot of what you stated there is kind of irrelevant to this particular home PC OS user.

- better cyber security? they would have fixed their own flaws or lost the wars to another OS - should they get credit for fixing what was broken in their own OS? Was introducing a whole new OS the only way to fix it? Really?
- "deviated from UI conventions" with Vista? Icons, clicked with a mouse. Not really such a deviation unless I missed something big.
- server and backend innovations - why should I care, as an entry level home user? I play games on servers, yeah, and Linux or Oracle probably could or do power that too? Happily showing my ignorance there.
- DirectX? As you say, could or should be independent of OS anyway.
- you didn't mention easier home networking? yay, for the X% of users who bother with networking their PCs. We have five PCs at home and I still see absolutely no need, and have never networked my PCs.

Apart from fixing things they break themselves with each new product introduction, the main reason for new versions of Windows is simple: in marketing it is called 'lifecycle management'. Or 'how can I get someone to buy something they have already bought, all over again, when what they already have is not broken?' You either do it by introducing compelling new features (rare actually but ipod to iphone is an example), or forcing the user to upgrade by backwards incompatibility (eg Playstation) or manucturer (OEM) level contracts which force the upgrade on the user. MS uses a bit of the former, and a lot of the latter. Try getting a PC with Win7 pre-installed these days...even though it is still supported.

Why is it that so few people have upgraded from Win7? Why do so many still use Vista and XP for goodness sake! Is it because people are just plain lazy, dumb or broke? Nah, it's because the new Windows flavours don't offer very much at all which is truly new and people generally just upgrade the OS when they upgrade their PC because of MS deals with PC manufacturers.

H

[Linked Image]
#4089749 - 03/09/15 06:18 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
The problem is that Win7 was a pretty darned good OS. My current laptop was purchased just before Win8 was released. It still runs everything I throw at it, including new game releases.

Why would I pay to upgrade to Win 8? Now, a free upgrade to Win 10 is probably going to get my attention, but I doubt I will jump on the offer until the last moment (unless the general consensus is that Windows 10 is a real winner). I will probably be looking to buy a new gaming laptop by then anyway.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4089978 - 03/10/15 07:58 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
You'll only have a year to decide - it's a 'free upgrade' for 12 months if you have Win7.

MS website says this "Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year! And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time for no additional charge."

Why would Microsoft give you this great new software for free?

As with any free software, they have a plan to make money through the platform - XBox games? App store? It has to be much bigger than that - my take is the new OS is intended to be more than just a digital shopfront for content, like iTunes/GooglePlay, it will be a sophisticated advertising delivering system.

Microsoft does not think small, their competitor is Google (not Mac OSX) and they want a bigger chunk of the advertising revenue that Google dominates.

Windows 8 already introduced 'ads in apps' for devs through the Microsoft Advertising Exchange feature, so you can bet this will be core to the update, and the apps you buy through Win 10 will be increasingly ad funded.

This OS is going to collect information about everything you use your PC for, and sell it to advertisers, then deliver advertisements to you through the various apps and programs running on it.

It will be totally free - at the cost of your privacy.

H

[Linked Image]
#4089989 - 03/10/15 08:51 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
frinik22 Offline
frinik22  Offline

I think it's no secret that Microsoft want Windows to become a serious alternative to Android on portable devices( smartphones, tablets, phablets etc). MS thinks that this is where the market will keep growing for the foreseeable future much more than pcs or laptops and they know they are virtually absent with Android and Apple gobbling it.

If they can offer a user-friendly , cross-platform OS an alternative what better way to start than to offer it as a free upgrade. If they can reduce the fractioning of their own OS market then they could try moving into Google and Apple's preserves with greater authority.

#4090008 - 03/10/15 10:28 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'm opposed to having ANY form of advertising forced on me,that is why I use stuff like adblock etc.If M$ think they are going to bombard me with advertising then they can shove 10 right up their arse,free or not.

*sorry,had a bad night,not feeling to charitable atm*

Last edited by Chucky; 03/10/15 10:30 AM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4090049 - 03/10/15 12:15 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
- better cyber security? they would have fixed their own flaws or lost the wars to another OS

I'm not so certain about that. The entire world didn't really pay attention to issues of cyber security despite being warned about it decades prior to when it became a really big issue. Whenever I received a virus by email and wrote back to the sender that their machine appeared to have a problem, I usually received very hostile replies. I personally talked to people who don't worry about their computer being part of a bot net, as long as they can still play their World of Warcraft or whatever their latest passion is. That they are aiding and abetting cyber criminals, it's something that they either suppress or they don't really care about it. They only wake up when their machine stops working, or if their own credit card data get stolen.

In this general atmosphere of ignorance and irresponsibility it still seems like issues of cyber security are a nerd topic except when the individual user gets to experience the result of some internet worm or a DDOS taking down his internet access or whatever. Also, most users are simply incompetent grasping the fundamental concepts of cyber security. I have heard numerous times the argument "I have a virus scanner, I'm safe".
Good lord, make it rain brains!

Quote:
- should they get credit for fixing what was broken in their own OS? Was introducing a whole new OS the only way to fix it? Really?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Fixing bugs costs time and money. Actually, it tends to cost more in the long run than the addition of a new gizmo. Your post - please don't take it personally, it's not meant as an attack - is the perfect illustration of consumer schizophrenia. You are willing to pay for "new features" but expect software to last forever and to be maintained forever without paying for it.
For ANY software developer with lifetime cycles exceeding one or two years that's a fundamentally untenable situation. You get blasted in public for NOT fixing bugs, but you also get blasted for trying to charge for security updates. Creating commercial software without bugs and holes and exploits is impossible beyond but the lowest level of complexity, particularly if you are working for a hardware platform that has billions of possible configurations with independently developed drivers and a more or less cavalier attitude towards driver development by the component vendors. If it is a Windows application that is at fault, it's a "Windows problem". If it is a driver issue, it's a "Windows Problem". If it is a dangerously ignorant and careless user, it a "Windows Problem" because Windows is popular. If the government interferes and demands a secret backdoor in the operating system, or infiltrates the developer with its own spies to plant such backdoors without knowledge or consent of the manufacturer, it's a "Windows Problem".
Windows always gets the blame.

Sometimes Microsoft deserves it, don't get me wrong. But a lot of their positive effort is often overlooked.

We as the customers are part of the problem. If we only pay for new features, that's what we'll get as soon as the market stops growing exponentially. New features, or, if a software tool/operating system reaches maturity, a lot of pseudo-features. The successor to Win 7 should probably have received two or three times as much development time as Win 8 actually received. But for Microsoft that means that they are losing a lot of money. So there was a strong incentive to wrap up the development when they did, to clad it into new clothing with its questionable and apparently unfinished "Metro" UI and dump it on the market. With 20/20 hindsight that move probably hurt MS more than it helped. On the other hand, maybe it WAS necessary to make a big splash in the pond to show the worlds' software developers that MS had not yet given up the market for mobile devices, and that they would in fact consolidate their multiple platforms into one common API framework.

Quote:
- server and backend innovations - why should I care, as an entry level home user?

Because home users would never deliver the money that was needed for sustained development. Do you really think that PC gamers are a customer group beyond game developers? Even NVidia is trying to establish their GPUs for general computing. Yes, the overall games market is huge, but it's also fractured among consoles, mobile devices, and "the" PC which in fact is anything from an XP powered laptop with integrated graphics to your i7 machine with SLI graphics card and whatnot.
Games are important to NVidia as a marketing tool. The essence of their marketing is "You want beautiful games? Buy our latest GeForce!". Games are important to Microsoft because of their popularity with consumers in general, as a driver for businesses to keep their computers somewhat up to date and in line with their employees' expectations.

Where is the myriad of Linux games? (Other than on Android)
Will Apple take over the games market? (Other than on iOS)

Games for PC == Games for Windows.

The reality is, DirectX is the one API framework to which the developers turn to unless they really have a few spare developers who want to flex their fingers with a code port to other platforms, or most likely, they port the code from a console and while they are at it, porting it ALSO for OSX doesn't cost that much more effort. Linux ports? Crickets. Maybe with Steam.
Mobile platforms are about the only area where game development other than for consoles or Windows is an option; primarily because the mobile market is big enough and because the devices are powerful enough. Also, because Apple was a first mover with the establishment of a digital distribution platform other than Steam. Google/Android imitates Apple, and because Android phones are usually cheaper they have such a large market share that as a developer you can't afford to ignore it.

Quote:
- DirectX? As you say, could or should be independent of OS anyway.

I suppose you could try and wrest it from Microsoft's cold, dead hands. What "should" be is not what "will" happen.

Quote:
Apart from fixing things they break themselves with each new product introduction, the main reason for new versions of Windows is simple: in marketing it is called 'lifecycle management'. Or 'how can I get someone to buy something they have already bought, all over again, when what they already have is not broken?'

We are coming to the same topic, but from different angles. The fact is, the operating systems are broken (all of them, no exceptions). Like infrastructure, they are in constant need of maintenance. Because hackers are like water flowing through micro fissures, then freezing to expand them to cracks, then ruining it completely. You simply need to check the operating system constantly for those fissures and patch them up. It's a neverending task, but one for which you as the OS manufacturer only get paid once, when the PC is sold over the counter. How is that supposed to work without lifecycle management, unless the market is growing fast and sales of new OS licenses can finance the maintenance effort?

#4090109 - 03/10/15 01:37 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Why would Microsoft give you this great new software for free?

Because of the platform effect.
The more people migrate to 10, the more attractive the new, unified software development environment that they are creating since 8 becomes to software developers. With a sufficiently large application supply they will probably win back a sizable portion of the market. This is something that Google and Apple cannot offer because they have virtually no roots in the business IT market. MS must expand the usage of Windows 10 as fast as possible, and the easiest way to do so is to convince the owners of existing Windows versions to migrate faster than with the hardware cycle. It is a somewhat costly move, but if it helps to bring down the market share of Windows 7, and to eliminate Windows 8 both in practice and from public memory, it puts them into a much better position to attack the other platforms where you still have a growth market.
The strategic threat for Microsoft is a stagnating market for the reasons I listed in my previous post.

Quote:
As with any free software, they have a plan to make money through the platform - XBox games? App store? It has to be much bigger than that - my take is the new OS is intended to be more than just a digital shopfront for content, like iTunes/GooglePlay, it will be a sophisticated advertising delivering system.

So far MS has been adamant in their statements that they do not intend to monetize their customer base. I tend to believe them, actually (to the extent that "trust" is a workable concept with any large organization) - and be it for the sole reason that monetization of their customer base would probably be business suicide for them. The dangers of such a move backfiring on them are much bigger than the measly advertisement revenue that they might generate from it.
No, I think MS simply wants to repeat its old success formula by dominating not only "the PC" as a single platform, but to win a dominating position across multiple hardware platforms. MS has always been a "mass market business". Their strategic bet in 1982 was that the personal computer would become immensely popular so that the operating system could be sold rather cheaply. Their move in the 1990s was that once that consumers experienced a personal computer, they would demand one in their office as well. Now they see that mobile devices are replacing the PC in the consumer world, and they are late to the party. Given that they are now in the role of a party crasher, the only way to win back sympathies is to bring some free booze to it. Of course, the true aim is to expel the original hosts from the location, but for the moment there's free booze.

Quote:
Microsoft does not think small, their competitor is Google (not Mac OSX) and they want a bigger chunk of the advertising revenue that Google dominates.

I agree, OSX is irrelevant. But above all, Microsoft does not want to lose (which is not the same as trying to wrestle the advertisement business from Google). MS is fighting for its long-term survival. They utterly depend on the business IT market, but business is influenced by the people working in it.

People want mobile, personal computing?
MS better starts delivering it before Google starts working on business IT back-end solutions. That's it, really.

Quote:
Windows 8 already introduced 'ads in apps' for devs through the Microsoft Advertising Exchange feature, so you can bet this will be core to the update, and the apps you buy through Win 10 will be increasingly ad funded.

True. But there is no way that Microsoft will be able to force software vendors to sell their software through the MS App Store. Will there be developers that try to monetize their own customers on the Windows platform? Sure.
Will Microsoft eliminate all alternatives?
No way in hell. They might try to make it really comfortable and all, but business IT will never tolerate "App Store" purchases as the sole method for software deployment. And as long as MS must keep the traditional ways of software distribution open for the businesses it will remain open for the consumers as well.

MS has tried to establish a lot of junk in the last decades - "MS Wallet" and whatnot. They all failed because consumers simply were unwilling to buy this. I'm pretty certain, MS will try and keep establishing other needless stuff, just like they try to push the cloud and online user accounts on everybody. Well, they can try. But they can't force us, and they know it.

#4177901 - 10/06/15 12:14 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Win10 is bad for gamers because Microsoft have blocked disk based Securom/Safedisk DRM on it. They made that a retro block to Win7 too but you can run a command to allow it in Win7/8 but not on Win10. And they said DRM is all good.

#4178096 - 10/06/15 01:17 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: rezerekted]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: rezerekted
Win10 is bad for gamers because Microsoft have blocked disk based Securom/Safedisk DRM on it.

How many gamers out there still run games off a CD/DVD?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4178585 - 10/07/15 01:32 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Win10 is bad for gamers because Microsoft have blocked disk based Securom/Safedisk DRM on it.

Very rarely these days.
But it is my preference to do so if possible.
Not a fan of steam and the like.

#4182220 - 10/16/15 08:49 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: marko1231123]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Very rarely these days.
But it is my preference to do so if possible.
Not a fan of steam and the like.

If you go into the EB Games shop near me and other music / game related stores there are shelves of old cheap games still in cases that use the old copy protection types. These budget games are still popular. Not as cheap as steam or GoG sales but people buy them pretty quickly.

Regards MarkL

MarkL
#4182304 - 10/16/15 12:52 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: markl]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: markl

If you go into the EB Games shop near me and other music / game related stores there are shelves of old cheap games still in cases that use the old copy protection types. These budget games are still popular. Not as cheap as steam or GoG sales but people buy them pretty quickly.

Regards MarkL

I don't know where you live but EB Games went out of business in my State several years ago and "Gamestop" only stocks console games.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4185121 - 10/23/15 04:27 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
I still have and run flight sims off CD/DVDs. Actually prefer them that way.
As an example, I recently had to reinstall FSX and ran into problems doing so in W 7.
Could it be that the MS DRM retrofit may be responsible for it?
If so, how do you get around it? Legally.

#4215531 - 01/11/16 05:53 AM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: HeinKill]  
streakeagle Offline
streakeagle  Offline

Seffner, FL USA
My wife believed the MS icon that said her laptop was verified Win10 ready. She loves having the latest tech and saw no reason not to upgrade. Unfortunately, her HP Envy laptop had a custom AMD/ATi graphics chip, and it was old enough that AMD warned that it would not provide a proper Win10 driver for it. Win10 did not work well with the basic driver provided by AMD to MS. No problem, revert back to Win 7, right? Only the Win10 installation did all kinds of damage to the Win7 installation. Many things are permanently broken. Easy, system restore, right? Wrong. The Win7 system restore was deleted/disabled. I did restore the functions that she needs, but I would have to locate her old conventional hard drive and wipe the newer SSD to get her OS back to the way it should be... but all the patches and software she has installed since the conversion would be gone.

I haven't ever used Win8, but in my brief experience with Win10 before reverting to Win7 on her laptop, I hated it. I will go to Win10 when my games require it (DX12). I suspect that will be after the free installation period has passed. So, until I buy a new PC, I suspect I will keep running Win7 64-bit, which has served me very well and looks like it will do so for at least 2 or more years.

If I wasn't a PC simulation gamer dependent on DirectX, I would just go to LINUX. Thank goodness DCS and Steel Beasts Pro PE lag a bit behind on the DX implementation so I don't have to go to an OS that I don't want or need.

forum: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
discussion: an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic
censorship: practice of suppressing a text or part of a text that is considered objectionable
#4215605 - 01/11/16 12:24 PM Re: Windows 10 and the future of PC gaming [Re: streakeagle]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: streakeagle

If I wasn't a PC simulation gamer dependent on DirectX, I would just go to LINUX. Thank goodness DCS and Steel Beasts Pro PE lag a bit behind on the DX implementation so I don't have to go to an OS that I don't want or need.

If I wasn't a PC gamer at all I wouldn't even have a desktop. I'd be fine with just an MS Surface tablet and my smartphone.

Then again, PC gamers really represent a tiny fraction of the market that Microsoft is targetting with their new OS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.