Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 49 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 48 49
#4163562 - 08/31/15 08:43 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You've got the right provinces for sure. That's what, three trade centers there? If you can take Copenhagen (maybe already have?) that really gives you a dominant position in the Lubeck node. Does France like you? Maybe with LN off France isn't such a scary proposition? They got nerfed in the last patch anyway didn't they?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4163634 - 09/01/15 12:30 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
I was actually on very friendly terms with England, they even offered me a royal marriage. France was doing well, already causing a fuss down on the Spanish border. None of it matters anyway since the latest patch annihilated my save.

Started a new game as Sukhothai, they start off as vassals to Ayutthaya but that's not a big deal, the AI is awful at managing liberty desire and Ayutthaya has a second, Muslim vassal. Should be no problem for us to win independence when Ayutthaya inevitably gets themselves into trouble. Khmer and Lan Xang look quite threatening...

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4165523 - 09/05/15 01:59 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I noticed the auto-update. What's the scoop with the new patch? What new features or what did it change? And that's an interesting choice for a new game. How's it going?

#4165639 - 09/06/15 01:02 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Patch 1.13 - http://www.eu4wiki.com/Patch_1.13

As for my Sukhothai game I got wiped by Lan Xang and had to restart, this time on Easy. Succesfully broke free, had my army crushed by both Lan Xang and Khmer but managed to recover. Eventually gained some ground to the west, taking the coast around Pegu and Ava. Then Ming arrived vassaling the Thai's to the North and declaring me very naughty for daring to be independence. Yeah game over again.

Think I'll try something in Eastern Europe next. Maybe release and play as Kiev or one of the Russian minors.

Edit: Think I'll go for a Hindu prince fighting off the Muslim sultanates that always seem to end up dominating the subcontinent.

Last edited by Security_Device_Enclosed; 09/06/15 03:35 AM.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4165708 - 09/06/15 07:24 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Started as Orissa, didn't realise that I'd have Garjat as a vassal so I'm off to a rather powerful start. Quite a few small nations to pick on for expansion. I get a mission to conquer the kingdom to our south, free claims on a whole nation? Sign me up.

My first move is actually to disband the half my navy, I don't need heavy ships and galleys right now so I'll save the money and use the funds to push my army over the force limits. With a larger army and the help of my vassal the war is over quickly. Once I've built myself up and asserted dominance in the immediate area I'm going to focus on technology and to a lesser extent province development.

Bengal and their Muslim allies are always strong, so I'll have to look out for them.

Edit: Since Orissa's national ideas are largely economical in focus I've taken Quality as my first idea set.

#4166796 - 09/09/15 02:28 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow, that's a big update. reading through the changelog I would say I'm about evenly split between like it, don't like it and don't care regarding the various changes.

Papal AI is now less likely to be militaristic.

The end of the SuperPope!

#4168233 - 09/13/15 08:29 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Like most updates I'm neutral, I don't play 'hard' enough for most changes to really make a huge difference. It is good that they're still updating and trying to improve the game.

Here is a quick update as I hit the year 1500. Going pretty well, with the exception of my capital I haven't really put any points into development. I am slightly ahead in all techs. It'll be interesting when the Europeans show up, I only ever westernised once and that was back in V1.0 during my first game (Oman) don't really remember how it went.

#4168262 - 09/13/15 12:41 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That will be interesting for sure, since so many European powers take the mission to get a foothold in India. I wonder what happens if you hold Goa, would Portugal still get their core there.

#4168275 - 09/13/15 01:31 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Hopefully not, I don't fancy 50,000 angry Portuguese marching on my cities just because they think they own them...

I think Britain also has some special Indian events, they seem to always make for the coast by the late 1500s. Speaking of events Orissa has been quite fun as there have been plenty of unique events, got a bit of free stability and prestige which is always nice.

#4169999 - 09/17/15 09:52 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
All good things must come to an end, sorry VJ it's time to cut you loose. I need your land, man.

Been building up for a while, see Vijayanagar is at war. Perfect time to attack, didn't even need the help from ally Nepal. Lost 3 ships in battle and around 6-7,000 men.

#4170077 - 09/17/15 01:52 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
What year are you in? Have you seen any European expeditions sailing by?

#4170099 - 09/17/15 02:25 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Don't know the exact year those screens were taken but it's the 1500s. I'm hoping to connect the coasts by the time the Portuguese or Brits start landing.

#4170120 - 09/17/15 03:12 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'd say try to grab Goa if you can, because Portugal (as I'm sure you know) gets an event for a core there as mentioned earlier. I looked it up and it seems that if you own it, Portugal still gets the core, but not the province.

I've successfully repelled European invaders as Brunei before, but it wasn't easy. I had planned ahead with a fairly massive navy, but several tech levels below. The only saving grace is the AI tends not to land large enough armies, save England/Great Britain. But I can envision Portugal, Spain, France and England/GB all looking to take your lands at the same time. Looking forward to your reports smile

Last edited by DBond; 09/17/15 06:05 PM.

#4173602 - 09/26/15 10:05 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Well still no sign of Portugal. Apparently the event for Portugal to get a core on Goa is triggered by discovery of India, so maybe they've been eaten by Spain or are just having a bad run. Could delay Europeans showing up until the mid 1600s perhaps?

Anyway here is a quick picture story, Mysore and Assam are vassals.

#4175899 - 10/01/15 04:09 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow. nice. You've really taken over that region. Did anyone give you trouble later on?

#4176319 - 10/02/15 05:45 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Nope, Ming could give me trouble but they're too busy fighting petty wars with nomads. I allied Kathiawar (The big red kingdom in the west) and they've helped me take down some of the small states one by one. I'm a bit worried about running out of time to seize all those free cores that you get fro forming India. Since I don't want to go around breaking truces it's really just the waiting game.

I've been sitting on 3 stability for several years now so I haven't even seen any rebellions (Of course now that I've said that I'll get a bunch of bad events and looming disasters! biggrin )

#4177474 - 10/05/15 05:34 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Well this how far I got before my free claims expired, thanks to advisor's and and administrative national focus I haven't had any problems with integrating all my news lands. Except for one province in the north that rebelled when I tried to convert them to Hindu.

Ming has advanced through SE Asia and we now share a border. Not good. Those red provinces up in the North-West are the Timurids, or what's left of them.

#4182494 - 10/16/15 08:06 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I haven't been so attentive over here lately, apologies. But great job with this run. You have built some impressive empires.

#4182726 - 10/17/15 06:41 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Thanks!

In the year 1696 the Indian subcontinent was finally united by the Orissan Emperor Shavestima Gajapati.
All in all a bit anti-climactic, I spent the last century worrying about Europeans tearing me apart or being invaded by the Chinese and in the end neither happened. The Europeans might still show up but I don't really feel like waiting around.

Finally figured out why Portugal wasn't getting a core on Goa. There is no Portugal.

No idea how a two province minor can be 3000% more powerful than me, I didn't even know I had a vassal until the liberty desire warning popped up. Can vassals be granted by AI warleaders?

#4213060 - 01/04/16 05:13 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ya can't stay away from this great game too long, so I fired it up over the Christmas break and had a look at what's new. I'm all patched up to the latest, but I passed on Cossacks for now. I've snapped up virtually all of the DLC thus far, but $20 seems a bit pricey for the latest. I'll get it when it goes on sale.

I saw there were some new achievements, so thought I'd have a crack. First one I attempted was 'Better than Napoleon'. This requires you to start as France and own as cores Moscow, Vienna and Berlin. I got off to a great start and was in fine shape. Around 1500 or so, just as I got in good position to expand eastward, we were hit with two 10-year Regencies 13 years apart. So we went like 30 years without war, everyone in Europe was a friend.

Then we went to war with Austria who had an empire stretching from Antwerp to Hungary. I ended up taking 5 choice provinces in the Netherlands region, releasing two into a vassal (Holland). AE was high, around 40 I think. And then the whole world joined a coalition. My manpower was gone after the war and when the bastages Great Britain led a coalition war against me and it was all too much and I gave it up as a bad job. I could have recovered no doubt, but thought if I took that much AE from 5 provinces, how would I ever be able to get Berlin, Vienna and Moscow? I'm sure it's possible, but it was beyond me in this save. And it bugs me that Austria can expand at will with no coalitions, ever.

So I'm now doing the 'Ideas Guy' achievement. This requires you to attain 500 ducats per month income while starting as a custom nation using up to 800 points! -- with no more than 3 development. So I made a OPM in the Cape region, and it's hard to spend all of those points with so little territory. A 6/6/6 King and heir (who fell ill, inevitably), great ideas and traditions and still I could only manage 751 spent. It's all going rather well in to the late 1500s and this one should be a cinch.

Page 8 of 49 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 48 49

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.