Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4175091 - 09/29/15 08:29 PM Oh well, I was wrong....  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

In reference to this old thread where WM accurately pinpoints why my 1918 campaigns were not running smooth: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4115615/Re:_Mid_to_High_End_System_-_M#Post4115615

Of course, I had to find out for myself and here's how....

After working like a dog for the last few months (and still at it), I managed to first get a 980 Ti which I used for the last few weeks and then today I bought a skylake to replace my sandybridge. Let me tell you that my GPU upgrade did not improve the sluggish 1918 by much, but the CPU upgrade was like night and day. Folks, this sim IS CPU DEPENDANT and I cannot stress this fact enough. I strongly believe that any CPU upgrade of 2 generations or more and you'll notice a HUGE difference in performance.

Too bad I'm still stuck with RL issues otherwise I'd be playing this game night and day with my new system upgrade.

#4175129 - 09/29/15 09:52 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Cool and thanks.
Good to know...well more properly to have it confirmed.
Hopefully you'll get more stick time in soon!

#4175207 - 09/30/15 01:28 AM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Hmm, but can I do that on my Asus P8P67 Pro MB? I've been thinking about some upgrades...

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4175233 - 09/30/15 03:52 AM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Back when CFS3 was made CPUs were all single core and growing more powerful at a rate they aren't today.

#4175328 - 09/30/15 12:46 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

My aging system is still serving very well even with the latest updates. My CPU, while not a monster by any means, does have a fair amount of heft to it. Just for reference here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
CPU Fan: Arctic Super Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4 x 4gb) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA
Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite
Video Cards: 2 EVGA GTX 460 SC 1024mb cards in SLI configuration
PS: Corsair HX 850 Watt
Windows XP Pro 64-bit OS
LG 27" flat screen LCD monitor, 1920 x 1080 native resolution
Four large case fans, plus the PS, CPU, mobo, and card fans
Saitek AV8R joystick
Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals
Track IR4 with IR5 software

Sliders are set at 5-4-4-5-5, Ankor’s shaders are cranked up full, and clouds are one notch below highest setting, and WOFF runs very smoothly even in late war.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4175332 - 09/30/15 12:51 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ha! I have that same joystick, Lou, or at least the Pacific version... I've been pretty pleased, it works quite well for my dumb southpaw flying style!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4175340 - 09/30/15 01:01 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Rick, I've made a field modification to mine by splitting the slide controls from the body of the JS and moving them to a custom housing on the port side of my keyboard. Feels much more natural to me this way.

Yikes! I need to do a bit of dusting. biggrin

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4175376 - 09/30/15 02:52 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Sliders are set at 5-4-4-5-5, Ankor’s shaders are cranked up full, and clouds are one notch below highest setting, and WOFF runs very smoothly even in late war.

That's a 100% correct in your analysis. If you're happy with what you have, then there's no reason to upgrade anything. My advice was a personal experience for those who are undecided on what to upgrade in their system and mainly play WOFF.

I was a bit hesitant at first because I didn't know what to expect jumping from a 5 year old system into the latest technology. But now I see what all the hype is about and don't regret my decision to replace my system.

Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
Hmm, but can I do that on my Asus P8P67 Pro MB? I've been thinking about some upgrades...

Depends on what your budget is for upgrades. You're sitting at about a Sandy or Ivy Bridge, so basically where I was at. The motherboard architecture changed so much since those older models, that you'll notice a difference if you go that route. A video card upgrade will only yield limited results due to the older architecture as it's hindered in many ways as I found out.

It's not cheap to buy a new CPU, motherboard and RAM, but it is somewhat futureproof at least for another 5 years or so. Unless they invent time travel by then or we get overrun by super robots....
transformer

#4175393 - 09/30/15 03:28 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
My throttle , keyboard, and flight stick are set up like yours Lou. Different products, but I like the set up.

#4175540 - 09/30/15 07:33 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Yikes! I need to do a bit of dusting. biggrin

Indeed, that was the first thing I noticed about your room. And what's with all those old clothes on the wall? Don't you have a closet to hide them in, or a Salvation Army to give them too...?

Also, for what it's worth, I'm running an Nvidia 660Ti, w/ 2gb of memory, and 1918 framerates run in the mid 30's.

#4175545 - 09/30/15 07:46 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Dusty the kitten is good for those tight low spots... rofl

My card is the same specs loftyc. I get better frames rates for that time, but the CPU is running at 4.3

#4175603 - 09/30/15 10:45 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Roger that, Lou, I don't use the throttle due to its awkward placement in my setup. Hey, that's a good looking mug there! Coffee is for winners!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4175608 - 09/30/15 11:01 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well dust aside (lucky I have no pic of my place) I like your monitor Lou as, visually, it's the same as mine.

#4175862 - 10/01/15 03:05 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I went inside to try and Over Clock my CPU and was scared away.

After pushing F2 quickly as my computer started and going to the "over clocking" instruction area I was
in side a GEEK ROOM that I could not understand.

I escaped and plan to have one of my friends come over and help me through this soon.

Some of you looking at My "RIG" could you hazzard a guess as to how much I could "over clock" the CPU
or what else could be done for FRAPS improvemen?

Thanks

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4176018 - 10/01/15 07:32 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone

My aging system is still serving very well even with the latest updates. My CPU, while not a monster by any means, does have a fair amount of heft to it. Just for reference here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
CPU Fan: Arctic Super Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4 x 4gb) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA
Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite
Video Cards: 2 EVGA GTX 460 SC 1024mb cards in SLI configuration
PS: Corsair HX 850 Watt
Windows XP Pro 64-bit OS
LG 27" flat screen LCD monitor, 1920 x 1080 native resolution
Four large case fans, plus the PS, CPU, mobo, and card fans
Saitek AV8R joystick
Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals
Track IR4 with IR5 software

Lou why are you still using XP 64bit????

#4176063 - 10/01/15 08:34 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Indeed CPU is very important, we mentioned that a few times over the years. Raw MHz speed is better than multi cores (which wont help), and decent cache size etc.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4176151 - 10/01/15 10:36 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: dutch]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Originally Posted By: dutch

Because Dutch, it works great for WOFF, it's not a resource hog, and I already own it. I do have Windows 7 on my laptop if that helps make me seem less a computer Neanderthal.

[Linked Image]

#4176340 - 10/02/15 08:41 AM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

CW3SF you should be able to overclock very well with that, Asus Maximus VI Extreme is designed for overclocking and good CPU and memory.
It has tools for overclocking just be reasonably simply. Best to find a forum with similar setups and read a few sticky posts - certainly I am sure you friend could.

To improve FRAPS, disable it! and instead use the built-in HARDWARE based NVIDIA "Shadowplay" look that up on NVIDIA website for how to use, very simple.

You access it from "NVIDIA Gefore Experience" tool installed for some time with latest NVIDIA drivers.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4176949 - 10/03/15 03:36 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone

Originally Posted By: dutch

Because Dutch, it works great for WOFF, it's not a resource hog, and I already own it. I do have Windows 7 on my laptop if that helps make me seem less a computer Neanderthal.

I'm also considering XP64, because indeed you can reduce this OS to zero, if using the blackviper.com barebone adjustments.

#4179311 - 10/09/15 01:55 AM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Blackviper barebone adjustments? I may have to investigate, though how I'd get back to XP at this point could be a problem...

Now speaking of upgrades, DO WANT! HOLY MOLEY, DO WANT! That's not a plug specifically for Dell, but man, could you imagine WOFF on one of those bad boys? ( Danged if I'd want two, who would want a splut right in front of you like they show) But of course a body would need a kickin' good graphics card and all the clock cycles you could push from a processor to keep all those pixels behaving at 60 fps...

So basically I just gut my box... I need a bigger SSD (guess I could keep the one I have + the spinner), new MB for a new Skylake processor, a couple of grand for a massive monitor, and quite a few Benjamins for a whopper graphics card... Probably will end up needing more juice out of the power supply, too, 1.05 KW isn't enough these days eek

Talk about barmy - I built this in late 2100 and barely have time to fly as it is!

I wonder who my wife will hire to draw up the divorce papers? wink

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
#4179374 - 10/09/15 10:22 AM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

As for overclocking:
my ASUS P8P67 mobo's EFI (Bios setup) has a button for a moderate overclocking.
But when I press that, the values for my DDR memory are getting changed.
Should I reset them manually there, to the values they should have?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4179413 - 10/09/15 12:38 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

(Warning, I'm a bit off-topic here, if i should just make a new thread then please just tell me so. My reason for posting here is that I'm concerned that my CPU might be the problem possibly, as it is definitely older?)

Hey, I'm new here, just got this game after being a little dissatisfied with the sterility of RoF's campaign mode. I installed the game last night but was kind of disappointed with the performance I was able to get out of it.

PC Specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom II 965: 3.4 Ghz Quad Core
Graphics: Radeon HD 7950 (3GB Memory)
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Installed on Crucial 250GB SSD.

Stick: Logitech Extreme 3d Pro
Headtracking: DiY IR clip using OpenTrack

Game is v2.12 (installed v1, installed expansion to v2, patched to 2.12)

So my problem is that once I've started the game i get solid 45-60 fps except when I turn my head (especially when parts of the plane such wings/tail come into view) I get maaajor fps loss/stuttering, down to 1-5 fps for a second and then it goes back up to 40s+.

First... is this normal? :P

I've tried reducing all the graphics sliders, disabling my antivirus, reducing display resolution (made it worse if anything so I put that back to 1080p), disabling dx9 shaders (game crashes when i do that), manually reinstalling dx9, and restarting my computer, and none of that seemed to really impact it at all. I did mess with the headtracking settings in opentrack and that definitely made the movement of the headtracking more smooth but i still get the fps loss.... it's like, kind of playable if i don't move my head very often but it's kind of immersion breaking. I'm not really sure what else to try. :P

Heir to the honors associated with the Order Sphenisciformes
#4179430 - 10/09/15 01:21 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Welcome to WOFF, AceofPengwins!

Firstly the Anti-Virus: most modern AVs should have a setting called "Use Gaming mode" or similar.
If that is activated, your AV will postpone all and any tasks but the absolute necessary,
once it sees that you started a game.

Your system specs are more than enough IMHO.
So here is some advice from a simmer, for whom WOFF runs fine with a lesser system.

A. Put the "graphic sliders" on 5, 3, 4, 5, 5

B. Open the "Catalyst Control Center" for your graphic card (right-click on the desktop, then select it from the pop-up)

1. Select "Games" > "3D Applications" on the left
2. Set Anti-Aliasing Mode to "Override application settings"
3. Set Anti-Aliasing Method to "Adaptive multi-sampling" or even "Supersampling"
4. Set Mode for Anisotropic Filtering to "Override application settings"
5. Set Quality of Texture Filtering to "High quality"
6. Set Wait for Vertical Refresh to "Always on"
7. I have "Open GL" activated - try out both for yourself
8. Set Tesselation Mode to "Use application settings"
9. Set Max. Tesselation to "Use application settings"

SAVE these setting as "WOFF" - see my screenprint.
Before each WOFFing, make sure you select these settings in the CCC.

Now you should be fine. Please report.
Good luck and have fun!

PS: you sure DID know, that Penguins can NOT fly, did you? Mmuahahahahaaa!!! duck

#4179434 - 10/09/15 01:38 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: Olham]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Thanks for the reply Olham! I'll give that a try as soon as I get home from work today and reply with my results.

RE to PS: That's why God gave us the aeroplane! Putting penguins back in the sky that nature denied us. smile

#4179439 - 10/09/15 02:01 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: AceofPengwins]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: AceofPengwins
That's why God gave us the aeroplane! Putting penguins back in the sky that nature denied us. smile

You mean like this little rascal, "Mr. Penguin" ? biggrin

(S.E.5a drawing from "Wings Palette"; "Mr. Penguin" from "Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers")

#4179443 - 10/09/15 02:07 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Gee, but he will NEVER be able to reach the rudder controls with those short legs biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4179447 - 10/09/15 02:14 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
...but he will NEVER be able to reach the rudder controls with those short legs biggrin

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!
Yeah, I guess he'd need to have little Mr. Penguin rudder pedals installed!

For all who missed "Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers" - here is the hilarious train chase
with the little Mr. Penguin...

#4179449 - 10/09/15 02:17 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Olham

The Wallace and Gromit series are one of my favorite. I just love them all.

(System_Specs)

#4179450 - 10/09/15 02:18 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Me too, I love Wallace and Gromit. rofl

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4179451 - 10/09/15 02:20 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: AceofPengwins]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

(Warning, I'm a bit off-topic here, if i should just make a new thread then please just tell me so. My reason for posting here is that I'm concerned that my CPU might be the problem possibly, as it is definitely older?)

Hey, I'm new here, just got this game after being a little dissatisfied with the sterility of RoF's campaign mode. I installed the game last night but was kind of disappointed with the performance I was able to get out of it.

AceofPengwins, you'll most likely get more replies if you post this either in the technical thread or in the hardware thread.

If it's just WOFF that's giving you trouble, then the problem most likely is either conflicting driver or unoptimized game. However, if it's a general problem with games/programs, then you'll need to check your hardware.

Disable/turn off OpenTrack and see if WOFF runs better while using the HAT switch on your joystick. If there's no difference, then start by reducing WOFF's resolution in workshop two or three ticks down. Still no difference, then go bare minimum on graphic settings as Olham suggested or even lower. Still no difference, then troubleshoot:

1. Re-Install v1.27 (not v2.12) in Windows 10 without joystick, pedals, etc... plugged in to see what happens
2. Start plugging them into the USB one at a time and test to see if anything changes
3. Upgrade to v2.12 and test it again as above.

Or you can use your own methodology and process of elimination to find out the "problem" area. In any event, you'll eventually see where the problem lies.

#4179464 - 10/09/15 02:36 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Who said penguins can't fly?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4179491 - 10/09/15 03:55 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Not me, I've seen it with my own eyes.

[Linked Image]

#4179494 - 10/09/15 04:04 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Haha, don't you guys have anything better to do with your time.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4179498 - 10/09/15 04:08 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

Not me, I've seen it with my own eyes.

rolleyes, master artist that you are, I think the wool is being forced down over my eyes again! biggrin

Lou, it's good to see you getting some breaks from RL commitments!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 10/09/15 04:09 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4179503 - 10/09/15 04:15 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
OLHAM --- GOOD to see you back, helping people and jumping into the mix of fun and information.

Penguins can fly, but only with JATO. Landing speed is a bit high.

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4179506 - 10/09/15 04:17 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: Banjoman]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Haha, don't you guys have anything better to do with your time.

Banjoman, it's my day woff.

#4179508 - 10/09/15 04:27 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Penguins are rather good at flying in style.

#4179511 - 10/09/15 04:29 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Olham: I changed my catalyst and game settings as you suggested and that definitely helped some, it's definitely good enough to play now although I'm hoping to get it a bit smoother still. Thank you! And the picture is exactly what I had in mind haha.

Old Hat: Thanks! It's definitely just WOFF, Rise of Flight for example works pretty flawlessly. Thanks for the suggestions too, I'm sure I'll get it narrowed down eventually. smile

Fullofit: Haha, nice!

RAF_Louvert: hahaha that's great! Can I use that?

Thanks guys, really enjoying this community already. smile

#4179512 - 10/09/15 04:34 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: AceofPengwins]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

It's all yours Sir. And call me Lou, my full forum moniker sounds far too formal.

Oh, and nearly forgot - new lads buy the drinks!

cheers

[Linked Image]

#4179524 - 10/09/15 04:53 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Nietzsche Offline
Nietzsche  Offline

Grevenbroich, Germany
Lou, be careful, what you wish for... you might get Tomato-Juice... bottles

#4179527 - 10/09/15 05:10 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

It's all yours Sir. And call me Lou, my full forum moniker sounds far too formal.

Oh, and nearly forgot - new lads buy the drinks!

cheers

WITH ALL THE NEW GUYS LATELY, IT SHOULD BE QUITE A BASH!

(System_Specs)

#4179555 - 10/09/15 06:17 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Well if AceofPengwins is buying I'll have a bottle of this

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4179560 - 10/09/15 06:32 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

From PENGUIN books to PENGUIN beer in a minute, eyh?

Did I hear something like "new guy buys the drinks"?
In that case, I'll have a virtual Warsteiner (must be ages ago,
since I had a good virtual German Pilsener).

#4179563 - 10/09/15 06:52 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: Olham]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Originally Posted By: Olham
That's why God gave us the aeroplane! Putting penguins back in the sky that nature denied us. smile

You mean like this little rascal, "Mr. Penguin" ? biggrin

(S.E.5a drawing from "Wings Palette"; "Mr. Penguin" from "Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers")

One of my younger two sons was about 8 or nine years old when that came out. He said that creepy Penguin scarred him for life! I think his name was "Feathers McGraw" but I could be wrong. I should forward your picture to him, it still creeps him out!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread, now in progress.

#4179594 - 10/09/15 08:25 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Virtual drinks from my local brewery!

Although maxpeck your suggestion sounds quite good, I need to figure out how to get a bottle of that!
Thanks Lou!

#4179599 - 10/09/15 08:32 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Unfortunately it is not made any more - was a limited edition thing

Real shame - I think Tactical Nuclear Penguin is an awesome name for a beer

And 32% ABV eek

Last edited by maxpeck; 10/09/15 08:44 PM.

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4179784 - 10/10/15 01:55 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: OldHat]  
AceofPengwins Offline
The Flying Penguin
AceofPengwins  Offline
The Flying Penguin

Thanks guys! I have it running quite well now. It was a combination of initially bad graphics settings, and needing to change the tracking settings in opentrack to clean up an initially noisy system. I'm now happily flying training flights in preparation to deploy to the front!

and maxpeck, that is a shame!

#4179805 - 10/10/15 03:03 PM Re: Oh well, I was wrong.... [Re: AceofPengwins]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: HumanDrone
One of my younger two sons was about 8 or nine years old when that came out.
He said that creepy Penguin scarred him for life!
I think his name was "Feathers McGraw" but I could be wrong.

That name sounds familiar to me.
Geeze, we never know how strong an impact some stuff may have on kids at that age, do we?
I was 12 or 13, when I saw a bit of James whales' "Frankenstein" (what a great mask on Boris Karloff!),
and I only saw the final bit where the monster tries to escape, and then gets trapped in the burning mill.
Couldn't even see the end title cause my ma came in, saw what I was watching, and switched it off.
But this mask was engraved into my brain now - it haunted me for many years, until the film was repeated
several years later, and I could see the whole story.

Thanks guys! I have it running quite well now. It was a combination of initially bad graphics settings,
and needing to change the tracking settings in opentrack to clean up an initially noisy system.
I'm now happily flying training flights in preparation to deploy to the front!

Great to hear that, Mr.Penguin!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM