Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4176725 - 10/02/15 10:34 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: maxpeck]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: maxpeck
Just remembered another couple of FNG tips Dan

2 - change your fire button from the trigger on the stick to a button on the throttle
seems we unintentionally 'twitch' when using the fire button on a joystick which can throw your aim off
Having it on the throttle negates this
I do not know how true this one is - but it sounds reasonable so I have given it a go winkngrin

It's called "flinching" in the shooting world, and why so much time is spe t on the range eliminating it. "SQUEEZE" the trigger, do 't yank or pull it quickly is the order of the day.
Add to that, staying calm and relaxed.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 10/02/15 10:36 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4176755 - 10/03/15 12:10 AM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
.Dan, if you've not found it yet, you should read the following primer on the DH2, written by Dej for the OFF version of this kite:

Thanks, mate. I never knew that thread existed.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4178550 - 10/07/15 11:25 AM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
DanDare Offline
Pilot of the Future
DanDare  Offline
Pilot of the Future

Dorset, UK.
So a quick update as I have been hectically busy. Managed to get a luxury 4 hours in on Saturday; spent the time in QC, mostly in a Pup or Se5, against various contemporary planes (only single opponent), on varying Ai levels. Happy to report that I was not shot down once; although I did kill myself crashing into my opponent once... – Still the joystick sensitivity changes have made all the difference.

I only had a short amount of free time on Sunday, but decided to face my nemesis and start a campaign in 1916 in RFC 24 flying the DH2. Sergeant Peter Wilson. First mission saw me going on a patrol over enemy lines; A flight was attacked, but by the time we reached them the enemy had run. Rest of the patrol was quit; except when cycling the base to land the TAC kept flashing ‘System Failure’ – the engine started to feather and die just as I landed... Lucky!

Mission two was on Tuesday night: it was a patrol behind our own lines; just B Flight. We ran into 2 Aviaks early on, but the squadron Aces shot theses down in what seemed like seconds, before I could even get close. The fight had left the flight in disarray; and during the re-form I spotted a spec off to my 9 O’clock. One of my flight turned to wards him; so I followed... having a different angle I actually reached the plane first which turned out to be a lone EIII; he turned into me and got a short burst into my wing; I managed to just outturn him before one, then two other of my flight joined and engaged him in a downward spiralling fight. Again he was shot down by the leading Ace before I could get a shot in!

Return to base was uneventful; all planes landed safely. I survived; fired zero rounds.

Having got [more] used to the DH2 I will take back calling it a travesty. Certainly the sensitivity changes on the stick make it much easier to fly, because the reduced deadzone results in less jerky behaviour. Main thing I am having a problem with is throttle/speed contol in the DH2 – I have been using only 100% throttle combined with blip. As I thought that was all rotary craft had; however I never hear the rest of my flight blip their engines and am overshooting them at 100%. In the brief 1915 campaign I undertook (in the Morane Parasol) I was better at staying in formation because I could hear my flight leader blip his engine - would simply cut when he did.

Now let us see how long young Peter survives!

Really loving the sim so far; only wish would be that the guns were animated like rise of flight. I have not used that sim; however most to the videos I have watched are made using that. Woff team have clearly done an outstanding job otherwise as the graphics do not otherwise seem as far apart other reviews seem to convey... I wonder why Woff is so relatively little known compared to RoF? – at least most internet search on the subject bring up RoF or related posts, very little about Woff.

#4178645 - 10/07/15 03:28 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I would guess that it's because ROF has multiplayer and WOFF doesn't. It seems that today if a game doesn't have multiplayer then it doesn't get much attention.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4178734 - 10/07/15 06:42 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Glad to hear you are loving it Dan thumbsup

Once it clicks it really gets the hooks in you, doesn't it?

Best of luck in the DH2 - you are a braver man than me salute

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4178738 - 10/07/15 06:51 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
DanDare Offline
Pilot of the Future
DanDare  Offline
Pilot of the Future

Dorset, UK.
Any thoughts on the DH2 throttle control anyone?

#4178739 - 10/07/15 06:53 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I love the DH2. It was very agile for the time and I've had a lot of success in that plane.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4178741 - 10/07/15 06:54 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: Banjoman]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
I would guess that it's because ROF has multiplayer and WOFF doesn't. It seems that today if a game doesn't have multiplayer then it doesn't get much attention.

This is why I was so disappointed with IL 2 BOS
I put money into the kickstarter for it, thinking it would be a current gen update of IL 2 1946, with all the possibilities for modding and offline SP campaigns that I have in '46 (and '46 still rates as the best ever WW2 aviation sim I have ever played)

But no - turns out it is really geared toward online MP
Which the few times I have tried playing it seems more like an aircraft version of Doom or COD - sorry not interested

The SP campaign does not deserve the name campaign
It is just a brief series of unconnected missions, flying for different squadrons.

Its sole purpose seems to be as a 'trainer' for the MP game, where you level up your pilot by getting XP to unlock upgrades for your aircraft

I am sure this approach is very popular with a lot of people

Left me feeling very sad though sigh

Last edited by maxpeck; 10/07/15 06:56 PM.

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4179585 - 10/09/15 07:57 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
DanDare Offline
Pilot of the Future
DanDare  Offline
Pilot of the Future

Dorset, UK.
Poor Peter, on his first mission he gets engine failure, on his second he gets shot up and on his third it is a bloody blizzard and his flight leader rams him when landing... luckily we both survived... for now. 3 missions, 3.52 hours flight time and 3 near death experiences.

Still struggling with DH2 speed control, I swear the rest of my flight use a throttle, despite supposedly not having one... I never hear them blip their engine. It is making formation flying rather tricky.

#4179587 - 10/09/15 08:01 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Originally Posted By: DanDare
3 missions, 3.52 hours flight time and 3 near death experiences.

WOFF summed up in one neat sentence winkngrin

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM