Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4172487 - 09/23/15 06:29 PM New guy introduction and questions about controllers  
DanDare Offline
Pilot of the Future
DanDare  Offline
Pilot of the Future

Dorset, UK.
Hello,

I first heard about Woff on Saturday morning; having been motivated to get a flying sim after recent BoB commemorations and discussions about my own family history in aviation. I was originally looking for a WWII game, but cam across this in some reviews and having wanted to give a WWI theme a go in the past I opted for Woff, given all the glowing reports I have read.

So far very impressed. It is far more realistic than I ever anticipated; I fear I may have run into a severe time sink here biggrin - On my fourth pilot now... and fully realised that the game is pretty much 1:1 in time scale. Each of my two missions took over an hour, and there was one a day. I have done one on Monday, One Tuesday: at that pace it would take a real full calendar year to progress the same time in the sim... assuming of course that I play every day, which I won't and that there is only ever one mission issued per in game day, which there won't. I'm assuming most people don't try to run through the whole war? at that rate, assuming it was even possible to survive it would take 4+ years to go from 1915 to 1918

Now revising my original plan of trying to start in 1915 and hoping to last until I get some better planes... not that that is very likely anyway given the difficulty.

Pilot 1: Crashed into fence during training, injured and recovered but destroyed plane on first solo flight. 2nd Solo Flight, crashed into tree and died.

Pilot 2: Skippped training as I did not want to sit through the two demo runs again; went straight to the front. Died on landing on first flight due to stall.

Realised that my Xbox 360 controller was not operating the throttle how I thought and thus speed was issue. Fixed This.

Pilot 3: Got to the end of training but on first free flight section, landed too fast and tipped plane over. Crunch. Died.

Pilot 4: Straight to front and has so far survived two missions over enemy territory, although not seen an enemy plane any closer than a few miles away. None of my bombs hit the target on either run. Also hit a fence on landing in the dark and wrecked plane (but survived) 2nd landing was perfect.

How in the hell my Great Grandfather survived the war in the RFC I do not Know!

Thus far have been using an Xbox 360 controller and thanks to AnKor and this thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3883687 - have been able to get the right stick to work as a fluid view control.

Never the less, I think I want a flight stick, the Xbox controller does not feel right... Issue is the cost. The Saiktek ones are £99.00 + the rudder pedals, £99.00 + TrackIR5 is £139.00 that is a lot of dosh... So.. I have a gift card that can only be spent in Currys/PC world in the UK. They have a selection of flight sticks. Does anyone know if this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-a...764357-pdt.html or this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-a...408617-pdt.html - would be any good? or does one have to go the whole hog and splash out for this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-a...064351-pdt.html

Then the subject of FaceTrackNoir. Their website is a bit hazy as to what works well with it; but if I can pick up a webcam for a few quid and have it work, then buying a £139.00 device seems excessive. Any thoughts on this and recommendations for webcams?

Any thoughts and help muchly appreciated.

About to go try a 1917 campaign... I expect to die pretty quickly.

#4172492 - 09/23/15 06:42 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Welcome to the WOFF Forum, Dan!

Here is a good stick for an acceptable price - the THRUSTMASTER T-16000M

This stick uses a high-resolution matrix, which makes it very precise.

I use SAITEK pedals, and they never failed me.

For the real cockpit feeling, TrackIR is inevitable IMHO.
Costly, but worth the experience - any time!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4172495 - 09/23/15 06:56 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
wave Howdy,

Have fun in the skies of WOFF DanDare pilot

I use a Logitech extreme 3D and it works well. I've used more expensive sticks and pedals but find my favorite set up to be the Logitech stick and a CH pro throttle.

We have some DiD threads going on here you might be interested in which involve flying on corresponding calendar dates to different years in the war.

No ideas on webcams as I've used TrackIr for years.

#4172498 - 09/23/15 07:00 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Dan if you have patience you could wait for Gladiator Joystick

I would first stay to the joystick and do later the TrackIR and pedals.
Facetrack and freetrack, some a satisfy but I never could get them to work the way I liked.

#4172504 - 09/23/15 07:05 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Hi DanDare

Reading about your first experiences reminds me a lot of my own, which were only a few weeks ago
Certainly involved the same amount of crashes and deaths.None of which dampened my enthusiasm for this awesome sim.
You have managed death by fence though, which is something I haven't been able to do yet, so you are ahead of me on that score smile2
You might want to check out this thread http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4167883/New_Pilot_Reporting_In#Post4167883
which documents my first experience with WOFF
I think you will find my experiences sound very familiar smile2

You are right about the time sink. I can testify that when WOFF gets its hooks in you, you cannot let it alone

Regarding the timescale you will find that the campaign engine does skip days when either the weather is too lousy for flying, or when your squadron has too few pilots left to remain a viable fighting force (awaits new replacements)
It may well skip time ahead on other occasions, but those are the only two that I have experienced

You are right that the XBox controller is not suitable for a flight sim
I haven't tried it in WOFF, but have tried it in a few others and just found it really unsuitable for fine control
Plus it just didn't 'feel right'

I know nothing about the Madcatz Cyborg so I cannot comment about that stick

I am using an X52 PRO (very similar to the X52 you have linked to)
I can say that in the two weeks I have been using it I am very impressed

Before I got the X52 PRO I used a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro for about five years, and always found it to be a very satisfactory budget option for a flight control stick
Sure, it doesn't have all the extra buttons and wheels that the X52 has, but the thing is - in a WW1 Sim you don't need all the extra buttons, and you can ignore the wheels that the X52 has as WW1 aircraft mostly had no trim (which is what I use the wheels for in Il-2 1946)

Plus the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro has plenty buttons anyway, as you can see from the pictures in the link you provided

If you are on a budget here is my personal recommendation

Do not spend the £100 on an X52
Spend £50 on the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro and look to get yourself a cheap pair of rudder pedals

The reason for the pedals?
You may be thinking they are unnecessary?
Surely the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro has a twist function that I can use for yaw?

Well - when I first got my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro, I found it impossible to pull the stick without unconsciously twisting it a bit - one way or the other
I would induce un-wanted Yaw every time I manoeuvred
I found that rudder pedals were a necessity for me

Cannot comment on the FaceTrackNoir as I am using TrackIR
Hopefully there will be someone along soon who can advise you about this soon

Finally - a big welcome to the forum winkngrin
You made the right choice posting here
Since I turned up a few weeks ago everyone here has been super friendly and very helpful

By the way - the new guy buys the round

Make mine a pint of Guinness
cheers

EDIT - hey - why did all my Logitech words become links?
Have I missed something??

Last edited by maxpeck; 09/23/15 07:07 PM.

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4172509 - 09/23/15 07:09 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Welcome to the virtual WOFF skies DanDare, you are in for endless days of excitement, fear, joy, sorrow, victory, defeat - the whole gamut really. The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is an excellent stick for the money. TrackIR and pedals are a must, and in that order. Lots of helpful folks here so don't hesitate to ask questions when you need to.

Also, it has been mentioned, but bears repeating - new lads buy the drinks! cheers

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4172513 - 09/23/15 07:12 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
That Gladiator stick looks interesting....

#4172514 - 09/23/15 07:12 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Olham
Welcome to the WOFF Forum, Dan!

Here is a good stick for an acceptable price - the THRUSTMASTER T-16000M

This stick uses a high-resolution matrix, which makes it very precise.

I use SAITEK pedals, and they never failed me.

For the real cockpit feeling, TrackIR is inevitable IMHO.
Costly, but worth the experience - any time!

Welcome to the meat grinder Dan. The stick Olham has suggested is my stick of choice. I have always used CH Pro Pedals and they are fine. As many others have said. TrackIR as soon as you can afford it! Happy flying.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4172518 - 09/23/15 07:17 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: MudWasp]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Originally Posted By: MudWasp
That Gladiator stick looks interesting....

Doesn't it just yep

PS DanDare - just picked up on this
Originally Posted By: DanDare
How in the hell my Great Grandfather survived the war in the RFC I do not Know!

If you have any details and are willing to share I would love to hear more about your Great Grandfather

Last edited by maxpeck; 09/23/15 07:21 PM.

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

#4172520 - 09/23/15 07:19 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Welcome Dandare, I second everything everyone else has said with one exception, I would put TrackIR at the head of the list. I used FaceTrackNoIR when I first started WOFF and it worked mostly. What I mean is it's very fiddly with outside light sources and there were many times when it would lose track of my eyes and I would be stuck. Others will agree, with TrackIR this sim is taken to another level.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4172522 - 09/23/15 07:22 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I'd go with a stick and TrackIr as first purchases.

#4172532 - 09/23/15 07:48 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
DanDare Offline
Pilot of the Future
DanDare  Offline
Pilot of the Future

Dorset, UK.
Wow, thanks for the welcome chaps. Having read a few posts it seemed like a friendly forum. Having watched this last night it got me even more excited about flying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRxDFVagsoQ

Oh, and maxpeck, only hospitalized for two days by a fence so far, death was by tree, falling and flipping so far. From what I know of the history, all quite realistic. I seem to go crunch more than boom though. Not witnessed and actual explosion thus far.

I had a sinking feeling the answer was going to be that I was going to have to spend a lot of money... I reckon It will either be the Saitek or Logitech stick, as I have a prepaid card with a whopping £500 sat on it. Thing was given to me through work as part of a manufacturers reward scheme; issue being it can only be spent in a very few places; high street shops in the UK mainly, and not accepted online to make it even more awkward. + sadly none that sell any pedals or the Trackir. I suppose at least it makes the Joystick 'Free'

I will have to start hunting for the best price on the pedals and the Trackir... as usual they are much cheaper in the US than the UK, but duty and shipping make it prohibitive.

Here is a digital round...

#4172565 - 09/23/15 09:06 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Simple solution, move to the US, nothing is unreasonable where WOFF is concerned. biggrin

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4172582 - 09/23/15 09:48 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK

Oh, and maxpeck, only hospitalized for two days by a fence so far, death was by tree, falling and flipping so far. From what I know of the history, all quite realistic. I seem to go crunch more than boom though. Not witnessed and actual explosion thus far.

Yeah - I have to admit I used a fair bit of artistic licence in my first reports to inject a bit of wit into them smile2
It was mostly just crump - smash
But the basic facts remain the same - I died - a lot winkngrin

In fact -pretty sure my first few deaths were by tree!

looks like we are still even regarding fences
First one between us to actually buy the farm by DEATH BY FENCE buys the other a drink biggrin

And cheers for the beers cheers

Last edited by maxpeck; 09/23/15 10:14 PM.

#4172596 - 09/23/15 10:13 PM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
maxpeck Offline
Genius at Exploding
maxpeck  Offline
Genius at Exploding

London, UK
Having watched this last night it got me even more excited about flying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRxDFVagsoQ

Thanks for posting this DanDare
I remember watching this several years ago on BBC4 one evening

To any members of this forum - I heartily recommend watching this - it really is an excellent documentary about WW1 aviation

Just starting to re-watch it now

#4172642 - 09/24/15 12:25 AM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin

Pilot 1: Crashed into fence during training, injured and recovered but destroyed plane on first solo flight.

Aha. He's discovered the 'Titanium Fences'.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4172710 - 09/24/15 03:38 AM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Dan: I rummaged around through some of my out-dated electronics and found a Microsoft joystick that served me well back in the day. Send me your address and I'll send it on to you. You can't truly fly WOFF without one. Then you can concentrate on saving your pennies and get a TrackIR; again, an absolute must.

Last edited by Hauksbee; 09/24/15 03:43 AM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4172727 - 09/24/15 05:10 AM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Welcome to the forum wave salute

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#4172741 - 09/24/15 08:25 AM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Not that I do so, but TrackIr is usable in loads of other games.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4172771 - 09/24/15 11:35 AM Re: New guy introduction and questions about controllers [Re: DanDare]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
Welcome to WOFF!

I got my trackIR4 from rc simulations. They currently sell the trackir 5 for a whopping £140. I've had a look on e-bay and some trackir 4 sets are available from the states for what works out as just over £100 including shipping. So that gives you some idea.

TrackIR is phenomenal and well worth it, but you can play without it, so if it's too steep for right now, get it later!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM