Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4170734 - 09/18/15 11:59 PM Never played SABOW, got questions  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Like the title says, I've never played SABOW but I've purchased it years ago due to the awesome screenshots. Never got around to installing it.

I've played Steel Beasts and World of Tanks and I'm currently enjoying my time with War Thunder Ground Forces. I never could get into SB because it felt too complicated for me and I never really understood what was going on. I know the same could be said if a non-aviation enthusiast started playing Falcon BMS or DCS A-10C, and I know that "if I just put enough time to learn it, it's a great sim." Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to commit to SB. I stopped playing WoT because, well, it just got too much of a grind. I liked my SPGs and TDs and they just didn't work with their matchmaking system. I like War Thunder now because there is the ability to one-shot tanks and kill due to ammo or fuel explosions, crew knockout, etc. However, I'm hitting the upper tiers now and with the recent rash of SABOW screenshots, I thought I'd poke around regarding this sim.

I've watched a few YT videos and the game seems quite slow compared to the Arcade battles of War Thunder. I'm not yet sure if that's a good thing.

So, on to my questions:
1. How does this compare to SBPro? Aside from better graphics, I know little of both sims but at least I have a little time in SB.
2. How does this compare to War Thunder? In terms of realism of shell rounds, armor slope, etc.
3. No multiplayer aspect for this game, correct?
4. In WT, I drive the tank with WASD keys and control the turret with the mouse. Who drives the tank when I'm shooting? Who spots for targets when I'm driving? How are their "skill levels" determined?
5. How much "AI babysitting" is done in this game? I know I'm the tank commander and maybe even the squad commander, but who controls the other tank squads or the infantry?

I'm going to go back and try to watch a few more YT videos of this game, if there's a tutorial series that you guys know about and can recommend, I'd be greatly thankful. I have limited "game time" so the better I use it, the happier I am. When I was teaching new pilots how to fly and fight in the A-10C, I always tried to "get to the good stuff" (read: killing things) as fast as I can so that the student's interest wouldn't disappear. I'd like to get to the good stuff in SABOW as soon as possible as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4170752 - 09/19/15 01:03 AM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

I picked up both games at a sale last year at Gamergate but so far have only tinkered with them both, big learning curve and I hardly have much time due to family commitments. But I have found a few people who have posted tutorials. Often searching for the author and playlist gives me good results then I use the free version of youtubedownloader to get them.

For SABOW a lot of the tutorial videos are for the older interface so you have to watch out there. Not sure if you purchased the older version if you get the new interface by updates.

Hopefully the below links will work.

Firstly "Sim Deck"
He has posted a series on SABOW & Operation Star, with a few new ones last week for SABOW
https://www.youtube.com/user/getonstag

Secondly "FrankieHustla"
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrankieHustla
Has tutorails

Thirdly "Eciton Raider"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiZbwL24ceoU21DDyXJy0Aw
His videos are using the old interface so some are not relevent, he has tutorials and game play series, qyiet a few.

There are many others of course. If you know of any others with tutorials using the new interface for SABOW please post the user / uploaders name here, any for operation star as well.

The new shooting range in the new interface is quiet good, but they need one for both tanks.

Also make sure you get the latest patches & manual from graviteam.
http://graviteam.com/patches.html
http://graviteam.com/HELP.html

Cheers MarkL

MarkL
#4170771 - 09/19/15 02:31 AM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks MarkL! I'm hoping that the interface change is just a UI re-skin? Namely how to engage targets and command troops are still the same, just that the buttons are located elsewhere or are of a different icon?

Does the game itself have tutorials?

- Ice
#4170848 - 09/19/15 12:28 PM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
Sagal Offline
Sagal  Offline

France
Hi Ice, I've started SABOW 1 week ago, I took it because SB Pro pe was too expensive (and as a test to be sure I'm sufficiently motivated to invest time on realistic tanks simulation before probably buying it at the end of the day). Even for reaching the target it is difficult and despite the manual and the guide available on this website I needed two youtube tutorials to understand the process: one for the T62 and one for the M60.
I think the link to the review below should answer most of your questions. So far I can recommend this sim, you really feel you are in a tank in a combat situation specially with 3 screens. I will post in a couple of days, my settings at ch hangar as I tried alternately to the mouse to use ch pro throttle, fighterstick and pro rudder.
http://combatace.com/topic/85814-steel-armor-blaze-of-war/

Last edited by Sagal; 09/19/15 12:35 PM.
#4171106 - 09/20/15 11:20 AM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Thanks MarkL! I'm hoping that the interface change is just a UI re-skin? Namely how to engage targets and command troops are still the same, just that the buttons are located elsewhere or are of a different icon?

Does the game itself have tutorials?

The interface on how to engage targets looks like it has changed a little bit, but from looking at youtube videos I am gradually working it out. I did not own the first version so cannot comment fully on that aspect.

As tutorials, not in the sense I think you mean, just gunnery practice, but watch the simdeck and other tutorials and you will get a good start.

Cheers MarkL

MarkL
#4171134 - 09/20/15 01:26 PM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
Asid Offline
Dogs of War
Asid  Offline
Dogs of War

There is an extensive tutorial system built into SABOW. This consists of missions, documentation and real time prompts.

Hope this helps

Regards

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

www.DogsOfWarVu.com
#4171139 - 09/20/15 01:50 PM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the links and the help!

Anyone want to take a shot at answering my direct questions? And another one -- what happens when your tank is killed? Can you take command of another tank?

For some reason, this game makes me want to go play Combat Mission Battle for Normandy instead. dizzy

- Ice
#4171151 - 09/20/15 02:54 PM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
Asid Offline
Dogs of War
Asid  Offline
Dogs of War

1. How does this compare to SBPro? Aside from better graphics, I know little of both sims but at least I have a little time in SB.

I have SB Pro and SABOW. I have countless hours in SB Pro both single and multi-player.
SABOW does a great job of :
• Combined arms.
• Simulating the M60 and T62 to a very high level.
• Physics.
• Great developers
• And much more.

However SABOW only allows you to enter the 2 aforementioned tanks. SB Pro has many tanks.

2. How does this compare to War Thunder? In terms of realism of shell rounds, armor slope, etc.

There is a lot of realism and immersion in SABOW. It models everything you have listed with the added bonus of excellent interiors which are interactive.

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,1013.0.html
http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,999.0.html

3. No multiplayer aspect for this game, correct?

Not at this point in time.

4. In WT, I drive the tank with WASD keys and control the turret with the mouse. Who drives the tank when I'm shooting? Who spots for targets when I'm driving? How are their "skill levels" determined?

You can pre-set a route and the AI driver will take you there. You can also issue orders to the AI driver while you are in another position using the WASDXE keys. The AI TC spots for you when you are in other positions. The AI takes over all positions that you are not occupying at the time. Skill levels are determined in the “Options” menu. You can set realism levels which include cumulative experience gain.

Option: 4.10 Realistic experience growth.

5. How much "AI babysitting" is done in this game? I know I'm the tank commander and maybe even the squad commander, but who controls the other tank squads or the infantry?

The AI controls them unless you change this in the options menu to allow you to control all friendly units.

Option: 4.13 Player controls allied forces

You can issue orders to the infantry.

Anyone want to take a shot at answering my direct questions? And another one -- what happens when your tank is killed? Can you take command of another tank?

Yes

I am a member of a VU which uses SB Pro as its main armour simulator. Quite a few members have either purchased SABOW or have added it to their list. SABOW is an excellent simulator

Heres the demo. It is missing a lot of new features. It will give you a taste though.
http://graviteam.com/SABOW/sabow_setup_apr15_demo_int.exe

I hope this was helpful

Regards

www.DogsOfWarVu.com
#4171166 - 09/20/15 03:29 PM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the replies Asid. I do have SABOW and have patched it to June 2015.... which I trust is the only patch I need, correct?

I've had a few goes at target practice.... I wonder why sometimes the TC will give me range to infantry but not to the tank that is nearby? Either way, seems good fun as far as shooting goes.

No MP is a major bummer though. I love playing WoT and War Thunder with my boys.

- Ice
#4171183 - 09/20/15 03:56 PM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
Asid Offline
Dogs of War
Asid  Offline
Dogs of War

Thanks for the replies Asid. I do have SABOW and have patched it to June 2015.... which I trust is the only patch I need, correct?

I've had a few goes at target practice.... I wonder why sometimes the TC will give me range to infantry but not to the tank that is nearby? Either way, seems good fun as far as shooting goes.

No MP is a major bummer though. I love playing WoT and War Thunder with my boys.

I have the Steam version. GamersGate is usually close behind with patches.

CTRL+ H = forbid fire on infantry. Also just designate another target works. If it's happening when you are the TC then you can override the gunner as well (F5)

Let me know if you need any help. The Dogs of War Vu have a dedicated TeamSpeak Channel and I can help you there.

Regards

www.DogsOfWarVu.com
#4171190 - 09/20/15 04:11 PM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Just wrapping my head around how the tank works and how to kill stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I want to tackle the wargaming side of things though. Maybe my brain is just scared of the mental load biggrin

- Ice
#4171388 - 09/21/15 09:49 AM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
markl Offline
markl  Offline

The good thing is you can just take your time. I am quiet busy and just give it a go every so often.
Don't be i a rush. I too am finding it hard but just plod along every so often.

I just go back to something easier between trying these harder games

Regards MarkL

MarkL
#4171883 - 09/22/15 11:01 AM Re: Never played SABOW, got questions [Re: - Ice]  
Asid Offline
Dogs of War
Asid  Offline
Dogs of War

Just wrapping my head around how the tank works and how to kill stuff.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I want to tackle the wargaming side of things though. Maybe my brain is just scared of the mental load biggrin

Thats the beauty of SABOW. You can just create a quick battle and have some killer fun...Like this...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4171881#Post4171881

www.DogsOfWarVu.com

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.