Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
#4166198 - 09/07/15 09:31 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Someone told me that if you criticise BOS you're a Hater with No Brains, and even if something you claim had any merit whatsoever it's probably Facebook's fault.

Apparently.

#4166208 - 09/07/15 09:50 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
Is it a Russian thing to never admit a fault? I mean I have seen some dumb developers before, but never some so in denial that it makes me cringe like the BoS team.

And this other thing people keep talking about their budget, time, and resources. Where are they getting this information? Certainly NOT from 1c. They wouldn't allow some of the simplistic information I doubt they have shared any financial info. So this talk about no money, no time, etc....it's obviously not fact.

It seems even if theyou had a large budget, the talent with this team seems to be lacking. How did I come to that assumption?

Well aside from lack of sp, vr support, a sound engine that does not work and horrible sp implementation, they decided to use old cod models, and already outdated engine, and get it out the door asap. Then they want people to NOT point out the flaws. Police the forums etc.

This is all related to the OT.

Last edited by lokitexas; 09/07/15 09:54 PM.
#4166219 - 09/07/15 10:17 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: lokitexas]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Originally Posted By: lokitexas
Is it a Russian thing to never admit a fault? I mean I have seen some dumb developers before, but never some so in denial that it makes me cringe like the BoS team.

Many of their decisions have certainly left me shaking my head. I so want the sim to be a huge success and something I would love playing as a SP guy, but nothing currently attracts me to it. Undoubtedly I am not alone in this either, which I am sure reflects in their early access sales of BOM.

I keep reading their forums, hoping for something that will entice me back to it. They stated there will be improvements to the campaign, but from what I can tell it is not all that much. I hope it is.

I believe the BOS team headed by Loft are their own worse enemy, I don't know maybe the Russians are happier with it who knows. I think at this point even Jason is left shaking his head and not able to do anything to influence any direction of the sim.

I do not recall ever being so disappointed in a new combat flight sim, as I have been in BOS.
Regarding OR support, it may just be they are not going to spend the resources for it, not knowing what the future for the sim is going to hold. If it manages to hang long term and more development, then perhaps they will take a more serious look at upgrading it to more of today's standards.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4166222 - 09/07/15 10:35 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Did not know of any BoM sale...there was a BoS sale

But maybe I missed it?

Cheers Dakpilot

#4166223 - 09/07/15 10:36 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
This post explains why at the moment OR is not being pursued in BoS.

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#4166224 - 09/07/15 10:37 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
It doesn't take a genius to figure out the flight sim genre isn't big enough to support large development teams. Flight sim developers have to set priorities, for their limited resource time. As much as VR is the future, I'm sure BOS currently has much higher priorities, if you go by all the basic features forum users suggest that are wrong, or unfinished in BOS.

Hopefully VR will eventually make flight sims popular enough again to support large development teams. We have yet to find out if the first consumer versions of VR headset resolutions are good enough for flight sims. Hopefully not, but early VR maybe the domain of more graphically simplistic flight sims.

edit... Loft has been a huge supporter of VR from the moment he first seen the DK1. Unfortunately implementation of the Rift became a "bridge to far". I have no doubt that could change if they see I viable way that it could be done.

Last edited by Chivas; 09/07/15 10:44 PM.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#4166225 - 09/07/15 10:41 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: Bearcat99]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bearcat99

Technically that posts states why in May of 2014, not necessarily at this moment. Perhaps it is still relevant at this moment, I do not know.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4166226 - 09/07/15 10:55 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

I aee bongo has a very mature forum name at BoS

may offend, do not look if you may be

Click to reveal..
DD_fuckyouassholes

LoL I guess that leaves no mistaking his point of view

Cheers Dakpilot

#4166230 - 09/07/15 11:06 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
I always give an honest opinion, not that this has anything to do with the subject at hand, just another desperate attempt to distract attention away from the nasty truth.

Besides I am perma banned at BOS forum, if they choose to keep my forum presence it's their problem.

Last edited by bongodriver; 09/07/15 11:08 PM.
#4166234 - 09/07/15 11:22 PM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Dakpilot Offline
Dakpilot  Offline

Well I am sure the world will rest easier now that the 'nasty truth' and scandal of a year old thread has been brought to every ones attention winkngrin

the whole issue really is old news with all answers given ages ago

Cheers Dakpilot

#4166240 - 09/08/15 12:07 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: dburne

Technically that posts states why in May of 2014, not necessarily at this moment. Perhaps it is still relevant at this moment, I do not know.

Come on are you serious... ? Technically?

It is why they stopped working on OR .... That it happened when it did and no more input on OR to the contrary makes it just as relevant today as it was when it was said...

Originally Posted By: bongodriver
I always give an honest opinion, not that this has anything to do with the subject at hand, just another desperate attempt to distract attention away from the nasty truth.
Besides I am perma banned at BOS forum, if they choose to keep my forum presence it's their problem.

Oh the drama...........

The fact that you would even go so far as to change your forum name to what you did ... says more about you than it does about anything at BoS. The fact that you would even drag this topic up to "discuss" over here .. knowing the history .. after it has been rendered moot a long time ago and granted .... the OP at IL2 possibly did not know that but you did. Granted... I did not link to that post or that thread before I locked the one in question.. but we both know why it was locked.

Of course you are entitled to discuss what you like where you like... except the IL2 forum of course.. but that Oh poor innocent me routine is old.... You have always been a straw everywhere you go as long as I have known you or known of you .. and by a straw I mean one that stirs a drink.. not dried foliage.. That is what you do... you stir the pot.. stir the drink... and you love it.

#4166241 - 09/08/15 12:18 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: Bearcat99]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

It is why they stopped working on OR .... That it happened when it did and no more input on OR to the contrary makes it just as relevant today as it was when it was said...

Of course I was serious, that post was in May of 2014. You thought perhaps I was not??
Lot of things can change over that amount of time, as was evidenced in what happened with BOS.

Last edited by dburne; 09/08/15 12:18 AM.

Don

#4166248 - 09/08/15 12:39 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: dburne]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA

Of course I was serious, that post was in May of 2014. You thought perhaps I was not??
Lot of things can change over that amount of time, as was evidenced in what happened with BOS.

OK.. fair enough...

Considering the fact that it was not a popular decision... (mostly the reaction was either opposition or indifference.. which signifies not popular.. to me anyway..) I would think that giving an update that was not "Hey guys we have reached a point where OR is developed enough and BoS is developed enough where we can consider working with it again.." would not be wise. Let sleeping dogs lie. That is why I locked the thread.. because there is no indication that things will change so why let a thread roll on with the ensuing debate concerning an issue that is not going to change. If at some juncture in the future it becomes evident that support for OR will resume there will be no shortage of active discussions on the subject..

#4166278 - 09/08/15 03:43 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Bloody hell, I wonder how many times I'll have to fight the complete misinformation that the IL2 BOS fans usually push as a justification to dismiss VR in sims:

You do not need to run any game/sim at 75 or 90 fps to use an Oculus or Vive VR HMD. You can render the sim at whatever you want (higher is still nicer), 25fps, 40fps, etc, and display the whole thing at 75fps or 90fps for headtracking adjustments using a nice method call asynchronous timewarp.

That's how I can run FSX with OrbX scenery (eg OrbX Cairns Airport in the OrbX green region) and complex aircraft (eg Captain Sim 707) and weather (REX) and happily fly in a smooth heaven thanks for FlyInside FSX. Same thing in Prepar3D. Not to mention plenty of other amazing games or demos, some of them DX9, other DX11.

Pretending that BOS was forced to abandon VR support because of Oculus was completely dishonest, and that's a major part of why I will never buy anything again from them.

#4166282 - 09/08/15 04:05 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
Who said they were forced to? They decided it was not worth it given where the sim was and where occulus was going as far as how many folks have it at the time and in the immediately foreseeable future. Whether that was a wise decision remains to be seen. Whether it not that decision will be reversed also remains to be seen. I see this thread as just another mountain out of another molehill.

#4166286 - 09/08/15 05:24 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
You mean that they decided to break a promise they made to early backers. That's all I need to know to judge whether it was wise or not as far as my money is concerned.

"Another mountain out of another molehill" is an interesting way to describe the reaction to a long series of broken promises and it's starting to sound like a very broken record to me. I'm not a vocal troll, I have only posted a few times about IL2 BOS (maybe 5 or 6 times in total?) but my guess is that I'm not the only one to be part of a grumpy silent group (possibly majority), so allow me to voice my discontent for once - you won't see me developing much more, my main reaction to that fiasco remains simple but effective - I haven't pre-ordered BOM and won't buy it.

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 09/08/15 05:24 AM.
#4166288 - 09/08/15 05:30 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
.. but my guess is that I'm not the only one to be part of a grumpy silent group (possibly majority) ..

You're not.

#4166298 - 09/08/15 06:35 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: bongodriver]  
bongodriver Offline
bongodriver  Offline

England
Bearcat, don't make this all about me (again), all of this is the creation of 1CGS and their broken promises and outright lies.
I am not the one who banned myself from the forum, my reaction to it is frankly justified and my forum name change was kinder than it should have been.

#4166333 - 09/08/15 11:23 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
SharpeXB Offline
SharpeXB  Offline

You do not need to run any game/sim at 75 or 90 fps to use an Oculus or Vive VR HMD.

Yes you do need 90Hz. See the min recommend specs for the OR here.

"On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering."

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
#4166337 - 09/08/15 11:41 AM Re: The Oculus debate [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
You mean that they decided to break a promise they made to early backers. That's all I need to know to judge whether it was wise or not as far as my money is concerned.

"Another mountain out of another molehill" is an interesting way to describe the reaction to a long series of broken promises and it's starting to sound like a very broken record to me. I'm not a vocal troll, I have only posted a few times about IL2 BOS (maybe 5 or 6 times in total?) but my guess is that I'm not the only one to be part of a grumpy silent group (possibly majority), so allow me to voice my discontent for once - you won't see me developing much more, my main reaction to that fiasco remains simple but effective - I haven't pre-ordered BOM and won't buy it.

What promise as far as OR goes? There was no promise of OR... There were references to it in DD50, 79 and 80 from Zak and more posts from Jason in other areas but the post I linked above has all the information as to why they decided to back out of it .. but there were never any promises for the rift.. The closest thing to a promise was that it would be available in the early release Alpha .. and it was.. but if you look at other posts by Jason on the subject .. there were issues with it.

I wonder how many people in this thread who are so offended actually have an OR besides Hooves and Bongo.. and of course Bongo no longer even has BoS... so.. rolleyes what is the point of this thread other than just to stir the pot and complain about something that has not been fully implemented for clearly stated reasonable reasons, in a sim that the OP no longer even has .. nor will ever buy again most likely.

Sometimes this forum reminds me of a Marx Brothers movie.. without the funny...
..and just for more reference ...

Last edited by Bearcat99; 09/08/15 12:06 PM.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.