Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23
#4158070 - 08/16/15 11:07 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Well, I missed that. Didn't think that event had triggered yet. Well before historical event. I'm not doing well remembering what has happened earlier in this AAR.

That makes me think that declaring war on Germany is even more reasonable then. Give Germany another front requiring troops. Push into southern Germany/Austria, seize some but stay in the mountains. Do what you can to cause France to remain in the war. UK and now U.S. Forces will be flowing in. I think that the Allies are now at the point where all it would take is Italian participation to start the collapse.

Or you can just sit it out since it appears that the Allies are now capable of beating the Axis without your participation. It will just be a little longer and more grinding.

I guess it comes down whether you want to participate or not.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4158083 - 08/16/15 12:24 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: oldgrognard]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Well, I missed that. Didn't think that event had triggered yet. Well before historical event. I'm not doing well remembering what has happened earlier in this AAR.

Ehrm... yeah. I'm kind of the whole responsible for that!
:P

I swear that if I had more free time I'd play more... duck

Quote:

That makes me think that declaring war on Germany is even more reasonable then. Give Germany another front requiring troops. Push into southern Germany/Austria, seize some but stay in the mountains. Do what you can to cause France to remain in the war. UK and now U.S. Forces will be flowing in. I think that the Allies are now at the point where all it would take is Italian participation to start the collapse.

Or you can just sit it out since it appears that the Allies are now capable of beating the Axis without your participation. It will just be a little longer and more grinding.

I guess it comes down whether you want to participate or not.

That's exactly the same question I ask myself.
Declaring war on Nazi Germany is a strong statement of intention. And something I want to do.

My weakness now is simply the fact that my army is not mobilised yet.
That means only one third of the men is manning the war machine.
Right now I don't remember if that's just to save IC and/or money or something even more, but I did it for a reason.
Should I act right now even if I'm attacked by a 1-to-1 division ratio and even with my strong defensive posture (which is indeed) I still field a third of the enemy forces.

IIRC mobilisation takes around three months and
We're rapidly approaching October.
My best bet is mobilising ASAP and declare war in December, new year's eve.

That way I still get to see some fortifications finished, some heavy divisions rolling out the factories and harsher weather for the attacker.

It'll be no Russian Winter, but every little help for the defence is more than welcome.

May the Gods be with us.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4158121 - 08/16/15 02:35 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I believe you will see your Reserve divisions flesh out in about two weeks.

If you want to make an impact on the war and want to help unhinge the Germans, I still say wait a week and watch what's happening. If it still looks good then mobilize. After about two weeks of mobilization, then declare war and quickly push into southern Germany/Austria.

A question will be what kind of war will you declare. Limited to just acquiring some territory or a total war that participate in conquest. I have found that one thing the game does not do well is in assigning which territorial acquisition it affords you.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4158316 - 08/17/15 08:44 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

EDIT: Pics will come tonight...

I made my call and mobilized.
By the breaking of dawn upon the first day of October the order was dispatched.
If all goes well, actually just as OldGrognard said, in a couple weeks everyone will be at the ready.

This will impact my consumer goods and supplies a bit, increasingly as the men leave home and reach their assigned positions.

But I checked how the industry goes and that will be of a little bother.
Quite some stockpiled stuff helps immensely as well.

I recalled the units from the border with the now reclaimed Switzerland and dispatched them to reinforce the Italian/Austrian border.

What I felt necessary was also re-direct some research from interesting side-shows (I was trying to push fighter and interceptor technology, but given my limited airframe numbers and Industrial capacity to produce them, it would have been quite a waste) to full blown support for tanks and infantry.

(more details when pics will be in, as my memory is spotty)

The industry gained more Steel Production and further fortresses are being either built or existing ones hardened.
If everything goes nicely by February my defenses will be quite the bone to chew...

I actually have two possibilities here, for the declaration of War.

1) Make a stand in my VERY strong defensive posture, wait for the waves to crash on it and react.
2) Make a bold more capture a couple of undefended regions (one of which has a very useful airport) and hunk down there.

The latter would give me the chance to drive a wedge in their soft underbelly and prepare for further operations at the cost of trying to hold a position exposed to an encirclement.
It would probably take more Division than I can muster now to pull this off, or a LOT of luck.

OTOH Standing still allow me to gauge accurately enemy strength, development and techniques from a kind of safer POV, and eventually -if an opening or a weak spot is determined, act on a counter-attack.
It also, unfortunately, makes me lose the ever important surprise factor, making it harder to try and gain any ground.

Choices, choices...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4158433 - 08/17/15 02:20 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
ForSquirrels Offline
Veteran
ForSquirrels  Offline
Veteran

looking forward to see how this goes.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

XBL: fmdckr81
#4158457 - 08/17/15 03:08 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

If you want to go on a (limited) attack, I'd envisage something like this:
Build up a mobile mountain corps/army that shall thrust forward just behind the Swiss front, basically two or three regions north via Innsbruck, and then cutting west to the northern Swiss border, sacking the enemy troops between you and your new allies.
This looks like a nice little operation that may quickly yield some fruits. And even if you can't sack some enemy troops in a pocket, it may move the front out of the Alps into favorable terrain for the allied troops to push forward into southern and central Germany.
But to be quick the main forces for such a thrust needs to be pure mountaineer divisions (maybe supported by engineers). No artillery/AAA/AT/armor/... whatever may slow down theses divisions. Theses support units can follow behind with regular infantry to secure the corridor. But in mountaineous terrain these support units may be terribly slow, and the move I think of is via five or six mountaineous or hilly regions.

P.S. Is the German thread level toward you high enough for a declaration of war by you?

P.P.S. Have you already given the USA the right of passage through your teritories?

#4158467 - 08/17/15 03:33 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: WhoCares]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: WhoCares
If you want to go on a (limited) attack, I'd envisage something like this:
Build up a mobile mountain corps/army that shall thrust forward just behind the Swiss front, basically two or three regions north via Innsbruck, and then cutting west to the northern Swiss border, sacking the enemy troops between you and your new allies.

Thought about that. Unfortunately I really can't produce units to spare for that...

I'll provide in depth screenshots.

Originally Posted By: WhoCares

P.S. Is the German thread level toward you high enough for a declaration of war by you?

P.P.S. Have you already given the USA the right of passage through your teritories?

1) Yes, very much so.

2) yep, basically ANYONE and their mother's in law can pass... :/

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4158613 - 08/17/15 10:05 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Here's the realisation I do NOT want to ally with Albania.

Plus they are drifting (with no external influence) wayyy more towards fascism than Democracy.
I have half an idea to let them take the high road to perdition and THEN annex them.

Gaming the game? Probably. wink

Here's the beginning of the mobilization of my Army.

The Northern Frontline. Little troops threatening me, mostly are pressuring the Swiss bleeding into Germany.

Here the surprise. I'm allowing Ethiopia free...

MUHAHAHAHAH! Never. I'm just making a puppet state out of them. Why? Simple.

Look here.
This is what was once a mess of RED. Yes the revolt risk has been absolutely canceled, freeing troops that I can now move home.
You know- the war about to break and stuff...

Now- now it's all peaceful. Plus I get direct access to all their goods at no costs.
Seriously this was a stroke of genius. (Eh, what reading a manual does to the gaming skills...)

These are the troops formerly guarding ex-Swiss territories, now free to be employed better.

Research. This is quite useful as rare materials are hard to come by. Specially for Italy. This is a NICE improvement.

Adjusted researches for defensive purpose.

Adding some more forts to the building queue makes for a nice extra bonus at little impact.
That said I HAVE to increase the IC output... *overthinking*

In the meanwhile French are helping BElgians in recovering more and more land... Gods I love those guys! biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4158641 - 08/17/15 11:55 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Declaration of war against Germany in December then? I like that, the timing is so appropriate.

Phone call from Rome to Berlin: "Hello Adolfo, merry Christmas to you. Since you like cumgespurten and bombsgedroppen so much a present in style is just on it's way by express delivery via the Tyrolean border. Oh, and have a nice day."

#4158643 - 08/17/15 11:58 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

By the look of it, why not. The only thing is, some of my best divisions and the Fortifications are going to be ready just by the end February...
Makes me think.

LOL @ the phone call! biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4158652 - 08/18/15 12:49 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I think building divisions/air units is a better investment than the fortifications. But then I'm more offensive minded. I would push forward to hold the mountains in southern Germany/Austria and take the city of Innsbruck. It will take a little bit away from Germany and proportionally give a bigger bump to you. And everything that weakens Germany adds to the ability of the Allies to stay in France.

This is a great AAR.

#4158723 - 08/18/15 08:14 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Ah, the pleasant feeling of the wind through the hair while dashing in a daring attack!
Who doesn't like that! biggrin

But I must be honest I lack the punch and the numbers to pull it off.
Reading back what I did in the early years of this AAR now I know that I lost many chances to improve the industrial capacity...

Now I can either produce only a limited amount of units per year or I could also lower the training and produce worse trained units. But that's not me.
I'm sending my best men/workforce to fight for a good cause- I'll never let them sacrificed for a piece of land.
That's something the was done in reality, I really dislike it.

The soft underbelly of Germany is exposed but it still holds enough fight to smash through my thin layer of defence and then it's mostly a boring ride to Rome.
I like your thinking OG and I'd LOVE to do it. But realistically speaking I simply can't afford any gambling of that magnitude.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4158767 - 08/18/15 11:37 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I just happen to consider that I can't really keep lolly-gagging much longer...
As I keep on drifting towards Fascism (thanks to Japan political arm-twisting) I'm afraid it could reach the point we're too "close" to start a war.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4158923 - 08/18/15 04:05 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
"What is thy bidding my master?"
"Recall the troops from Africa! They are my LEIGON of best troops I want them at the forefront of our new directive!"
"At once, My Master."
"And get some rest Lord Guido, I fear there may be long dark days ahead."
"As you wish".

Lord Duce has commented. smile

Last edited by Comrade_Hedgehog; 09/03/15 12:16 PM.

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4158973 - 08/18/15 06:05 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

LOL, you know... I was missing you. wink

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4162629 - 08/29/15 01:27 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
And ......

#4162642 - 08/29/15 01:50 PM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Surprise update wink
Let's see when anybody finds out...

Having Pacified Africa with a Puppet Government I can withdraw some of my troops, nearly *GASP* THIRTY-THOUSAND souls and relocate them to the European Theater!

Now that's a good move. Why? Well on the Northern Italian border I've got an average of less-than-twenty-thousand soldiers for region to defend them.
Sure there's Armor, planes, artillery and some tricks up my sleeve- but you need the grunts for ground control...

This will help- we DO have a war ahead...

As such relocation takes place I start grinding out heavy metal, and 6 Armor brigades are what I need to reinforce the border troops.

Trying to yank Albania from the iron grip of the Nazi I try the Commercial-Arm-Wrestle.

We'll see where this leads.

Also more good news- Now we can create armored Self Propelled Artillery.

And looking at the tables they are much better than the Rocket SP Artillery- mainly due to the heavy investment in the tech tree.
Basically I've figuratively shot myself in the foot by wasting so many resources in making SP Rocket Artillery a reality- wasted lots of good resources... Damn Fog of War (in a generic sort of sense!).

And now some bad news, slowly Germany gained over France.

Sure it's ONE region- we'll see how it'll hold.

Now- THIS is good.

This allows me to put a fifth Brigade in a division. Increasing this way flexibility and, obviously, firepower.
And seriously who DOESN'T need MORE firepower?! biggrin

This moves makes me think, if France can spare more units to help Switzerland shoving on the border *maybe* that loss along the Belgian border wasn't so serious... we'll see.

Finally, after nearly a month at sea the shaken and suddenly cold African veteran are home.
First batch goes filling this gap here...

You guys over... there.

Ah! Very well- a new wing of CAS planes. Yes this model is old, but as soon as it's deployed it'll get upgraded. (Odd gameplay mechanics if you ask me...)

And I'm glad to report that at the end of the month France is holding splendidly.

Oh Gods. Did I speak too soon?! D:

Until next time.
Ciao!

Last edited by komemiute; 08/30/15 12:01 AM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4162870 - 08/30/15 12:14 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Yeah that was a bit mean. Here. Update. smile

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4162881 - 08/30/15 12:27 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I'm enjoying this. Been playing the game a lot myself since you hooked me on it. The wife came in to see why I was glued to the computer and when I showed her all the economic, tech, diplomatic, military units, etc she just said " and you find that fun " ? "That would be too much like doing computer work not fun". My wife doesn't understand me.

#4162972 - 08/30/15 07:02 AM Re: Italy at war - The alternate history of WWII [Re: komemiute]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I've found that what keeps me from firing up this game is my fear of making a gross mistake and ruin everything...

It was the same when I started drawing.
If the piece was coming nicely I would stop doing it

Silly, uh? smile
I just love my pixeltruppen. biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.