Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35
#4162833 - 08/29/15 11:04 PM Albatros Dos Challenge  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Welcome to the Wings Over Flanders Fields Albatros Dos Challenge!

The assistance and camaraderie that you get from something like this or Olham's DiD Campaign or the Centenary Challenge if you are new to WOFF will help increase your enjoyment of the sim and make you a better pilot as well.

For this challenge, you will be flying for Germany as a lowly flieger in Jasta 12 smack in the middle of the war!

In order to participate in this challenge you must:
1. Declare your interest and intent in this thread on or before Saturday, September 5, 2015.
2. Create a pilot using the manual squad creation option with a start date of May1, 1917, flying for Germany in Jasta 12 with the rank of Flieger.
3. Commit to flying 3-7 missions per week with this pilot, but no more than one per campaign day.
4. Report at least every weekend in this topic thread with his current successes or failures.
5. Faithfully communicate to your brethren the falling of your avatar when such event actually transpires.

Please enter your pilot at this link:
( Survey Link )
Please update this survey after every few missions, or at least once a week!

This is kind of a "Who's Line Is It Anyway" sort of affair where we try to have fun with good people.
Reporting can be by any of the following methods:
-Text is good
-Pictures are better
-Videos are what this sim is made for!

There were some great reports and pictures and vids in the previous challenges, so look over them if you want some ideas!

This is single elimination, so one death and you are out. Keep in mind that even if you are not playing "dead is dead" in the workshop, at the end of each mission it will still tell you that "Sadly, your pilot has died" if his injuries were fatal so you don't need to switch your settings for this. If you land behind enemy lines with less than DID workshop settings, use these guidelines: in or on the edge of No Mans Land, you escape. Within 5 miles of the front, 50-50 (flip a coin). More than 5 miles behind the lines, you are captured, war over!

When you set up your pilot, click on "Manual Squad Deployment" in the lower right hand corner of the enlistment page. Set up the following screen so it looks like this:

Scoring:

Missions: +2 point each
Time survived: +2 points each week
Confirmed kill: +3 points each
Becoming an ace: +5 points (only once)
Promotion: +5 points each promotion
Medals: +3 points each
Survive to end of Challenge: +10 points
Wounding: -8 points each occurrence

This challenge will have a have a hard end date of Sunday, September 27. That gives us three weeks and a day. You can have a maximum of 23 missions total. Then we can tally the points and declare a winner. You are certainly free to continue to fly your pilot after that if still alive, but for point determination, we need a cut-off date.

The Fine Print: (Rules)
You may use whatever aids you are used to using. Wind should be set to “On”. Please set your weather to “Historical Weather.” Flight model should be realistic and you should have weapons jams and limited ammo and all that jazz...
One other point: I think we can all agree that balloons are too easy to take down as it stands, so on your Gentleman’s Honour, you may only claim a balloon if you are on a balloon busting mission and only the one that is the mission target.
Feel free to lead your flights if you want!

The point is to have fun and we had outstanding support and sportsmanship from all fliers last time and we would love to see some new faces!

As far as time advancement, please follow these guidelines:

Allow time to advance as normal except fly no more than one mission per campaign day (time advance manually as necessary)
For every month of campaign time, you can advance two days on the calendar. (48hr pass to visit mum)
For every promotion, advance five campaign days.
For every five kills, advance 3 campaign days.
For becoming an ace, advance 3 campaign days (cumulative with 5 kills above)

At the end of the challenge, I will tabulate the winning pilot overall and declare him king of all things Albatros (you can duke it out with Olham…)
I haven’t come up with a prize yet, but we will have something. If anyone wants to sponsor the prize, please let me know! ***Update! No less a gentleman than our own Robert Wiggins has just offered up a new copy of "Ace of the Black Cross" The memoirs of Ernst Udet for a prize! Thank you, Robert!!!*** Louvert has also offered to design a custom plane paint job for the winner!!!

Remember though, your first job is to stay alive! You can’t win if you are dead! If I survive, it will be the first one I have finished!

We are starting with the Albatros DII and several of us should survive to get the DIII, so please paint your scout early and often! I know we are all looking forward to some inspired schemes!

Official challenge start time is Saturday, September 5 whenever that starts local to you, grab some QC time in your bird and we’ll be (W)OFF!

I will update this area with pilots and scores as the challenge progresses, so you can always check here for the latest info…

List of Pilots:
carrick58
Rick Rawlings
MudWasp
MFair
Banjoman
CatKnight
Smosh
gaw1
corsaire31
loftyc
RAF_Louvert
Fullofit
Nietzsche
Robert Wiggins
HarryH
Maeran
lederhosen
Olham whoohoo
LowDrag

Strikethrough indicates a pilot's demise, d.n.p. = did not participate, number to the right of the pilot is the final score

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 09/24/15 11:17 PM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4162840 - 08/29/15 11:15 PM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

thumbsup

Great Idea Mr. Rawlings. whoohoo Count me in.

#4162843 - 08/29/15 11:22 PM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: carrick58]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: carrick58
thumbsup

Great Idea Mr. Rawlings. whoohoo Count me in.

You, Sir, are number 1!

winner

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4162846 - 08/29/15 11:33 PM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Looks like a fun time! Count me in.
Jasta 12.....weren't we hooked up with them in a prior challenge?

Hey Rick, random engine failures on?

#4162853 - 08/29/15 11:54 PM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yes, and yes!

#4162879 - 08/30/15 12:24 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Oh Yes! Would not miss it!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4162887 - 08/30/15 12:48 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Now I remember..... the Black-Tails of Jasta 12 yep

#4162890 - 08/30/15 01:01 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Count me in, I haven't died as a German in a long time. biggrin

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4162891 - 08/30/15 01:03 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Banjoman]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Count me in, I haven't died as a German in a long time. biggrin

Well, if my quick combats are any indication, we can fix that fast!

#4162917 - 08/30/15 02:42 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Wow Rick, I never knew that about the Albatros Flug....Fluge.....Albatros Aircraft Company!

Life's been a bit of a mess lately, but I think I can make time to die for Der Vaterland.

#4162919 - 08/30/15 02:43 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Reporting for duty salute

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#4162936 - 08/30/15 04:08 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I will be Elk hunting with my son and grandson near Steamboat Springs Colorado from 12 Sept. to 20 Sept.
With the setting up camp before, taking camp out after the hunt, and packing out the Elk as we get them,there
will be no time for flying.

BUMMER!!

Buy late Sept. all of the butchering should be done and the fall cold snap will have us moving south to AZ
for the winter come mid Oct.

By then I will be ready to have at it with the next challange.

And, many thanks to all of you who offered to help with a disk of 2.12.

This is a great bunch of folks who wander about these threads.

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4162941 - 08/30/15 04:27 AM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

CatKnight, it's really a poorly studied period of German history. Hasse and Louvert could tell you all about it, I'm sure! Great to have you and Smosh aboard!

CW3SF salute the mighty fallen elk that you harvest for us, we'll catch you when we can!

#4162975 - 08/30/15 07:26 AM Re: Albatross Dos Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Damn, an "Albatros Competition" without "Albatros-Man".
It's a shame I can't be in there, Rick, it's a great idea.
But I'm still in treatment and do not know, when I will be discharged and fully back home.

So I can only wish all pilots a really good time and good success - Jasta 12 was a good unit.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4163007 - 08/30/15 11:53 AM Re: Albatross Dos Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

Rick.....good show....this'll stir things up....sign me up please!!! Olham.....tell 'em you need your computer for therapeutic purposes....I know I do. Heeeeere we go...........

#4163019 - 08/30/15 12:59 PM Re: Albatross Dos Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

When you mentioned DOS, I thought this would be a Red Baron 1 challenge. biggrin

I won't have time to participate, but these challenges are always fun to watch!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4163021 - 08/30/15 01:02 PM Re: Albatross Dos Challenge [Re: gaw1]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: gaw1
Olham.....tell 'em you need your computer for therapeutic purposes....I know I do.

Haha, yeah, they might even encourage me. But I'm not fit for full duties yet.
Give me some more time, and enjoy this challenge as much as I would.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4163028 - 08/30/15 01:24 PM Re: Albatross Dos Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

Sadly, even if I feel myself quite confident flying these beauties (specially at the time frame of the challenge), I can´t guarantee I will manage to fly 3 times a week. New job, lots of tasks to do,...sigh. Enjoy guys, and beware of the Strutters!!

#4163031 - 08/30/15 01:30 PM Re: Albatross Dos Challenge [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ha! Nice, Hasse, never looked at it that way! We actually did do a couple of Red Baron 1 Challenges back in the day when they released the mission builder add on...
Great video, Olham, thanks for posting!

#4163035 - 08/30/15 02:41 PM Re: Anybody want to do a challenge? [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
This will drag Olham back into the world of the living!

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM