Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 469 of 608 1 2 467 468 469 470 471 607 608
#4156825 - 08/12/15 07:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

Yep! All those familiar names, now moved on...along with many others who are not on that roster.

We are having beautiful weather right now but a deluge is forecast to be upon us soon, something like a month's rain in two days they reckon. Widespread flooding is expected with people wading about in wellies and paddling around in boats and inflatables of all shapes and sizes. Floating furniture, ruined carpets and marooned livestock have been familiar news items in recent years.

Tonight at around 11PM we will be out gawping at the heavens, hoping to catch a sight of the Perseids meteor shower. The sky is clear at the moment but things have a way of clouding up quickly when any such event is expected. rolleyes

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4156839 - 08/12/15 07:58 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Amazing, all those names, some of which I don't recognize, or remember at all.

I do remember getting Rowan's BoB at around the time it was released, certainly there was a demo on a disc that came with a PC Magazine which I tried, and upon getting the game I lurked the very BoB forums for tips and tricks, quite some time before actually becoming a member.

I've noticed that Dux's weather reports are very similar to what I would be able to tell about the weather here, so I'll just run outside now to watch for the Perseids and make a wish or two: smile

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4157111 - 08/13/15 03:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
MG:

Pretty much what I did as well very early on. In fact I was lurking about before I bought the Rowan BoB. As for BoB2 WOV, I found that in a discount bin and bought it not even knowing if it would run on my old box. It did on that computer and still does on the XP machine. Not fully patched of course. Sad to say it does not run at all on my new computer due to the hardware configuration. I am pondering making needed corrections to my hardware. Other vintage flight sims run well especially Maddox games like the IL2 series. Beautiful graphics and fast frame rates. Fate you can be so ironically cruel.... wink

Our Dux keeps a weather eye out all the time. I do sincerely hope the flooding predicted was far less than expected. I'd hate to think of the old boy splashing about going hither and yon cast upon the flood current in his old well-plugged cast iron bathtub.

Picture that in your mind's eye with me. There is a billowing fitted bed sheet rigged upon a pair of cross treed Elder branches. Dux seems to be using an old acoustic guitar as a rudder strapped to the back of the old tub. And what seems to be a very old and tattered pair of Y-fronts is flapping on the end of a trussed up mop handle. Yup that is Admiral Dux's flagship. Hmmmmmm. There seems to be a name scrawled across the bow..... "HMS Leaky Bottom". OK, but I must wonder as perhaps you do too; does that refer to the unusual vessel or to Dux? smile

Considering the similarity of your weather apparently the prevailing weather patterns favor it. Much like where I live and where C51 lives. Though he is nearly 1000 miles north of me so often when he mentions his current weather in one or two days hence I get something similar. That does not however ever seem to include the deep snow he often gets in winter or the amazing summer cool he has experienced this year. Our normal weather pattern would be West to East but that is influenced markedly by the direction and power of the Jet Stream and also influenced by the close proximity of the warm waters of the Atlantic Gulf Stream to our coast.

Dux, did the grass ever grow high enough to risk flying the Fokker this summer? I'd like to see a Dux made video of her in flight. (that was a rather broad hint wasn't it MG?)

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4157758 - 08/15/15 10:07 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

The Fokker is still on top of the bedroom cupboard, awaiting repair. Wouldn't take much to do what is required. It just remains one of those jobs to do.

As I type, the sun is breaking through and could herald a return to summer weather. We haven't much time left now before September brings autumn gold to the leaves and an evening chill begins to make itself felt. I think the Swifts have already left for warmer climes. They were late arriving in May but I haven't seen any around this morning...

The worst of the recent downpour was delivered to the south-east so we were at least spared much of that.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4157909 - 08/15/15 08:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

I understand other pressing matters can take presidence over such lesser things. Perhaps one fair day in Peaks of storied Derbyshire, when a benign wind blows softly in the right direction and the richly scented, un-mown grass of summer is reaching high in that sun drenched meadow, she will lift her wings upon the air currents and fly toward the sun again. I can see it in the theater of my mind. wink

My friend you fair wax poetic in you description of your weather. That makes me hungry for another Dux-built story. while I wait for that let me say I am relieved to know you were spared the brunt of that inclement weather. With the heat we have experienced this summer I yearn for fall. Alas fall-like weather for us may be some time distant. Ah well, at our age, cold or hot, windy or calm, no matter what the weather may be, every additional day is a good day. Admittedly some are a lot wetter than are others.

Encouraged by MG, I believe you mentioned a refurbished bicycle is in your possession. Are you still doing some biking when the weather permits?

How about music? Still playing in the "garage" or are you getting a few gigs? My son and his step-son are playing together a bit every week now. T is teaching M who is just beginning. M is also playing football and participating in competitive motocross this year. He has been quite successful in Motocross winning several trophies. Some of his "trophies" only show up on X-rays however. It is a dangerous sport. There was a time when I began to think M was attempting to beat Evil Kanival's Guinness record for most broken bones in one sport. I guess that is sometimes what it takes to win?

How is BoB2 working with the additional RAM?

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4158128 - 08/16/15 02:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I'm happy to report the sighting today in the air over my premises; two Harvard's, I believe from the Swedish Air Force Historic flight - two others were missing as the flight according to my information was to consist of 4 aircraft. And just to top it, a Spitfire Mk. XVI graciously passed over my head 10 minutes ago. Eliptical wing shape clearly visible. biggrin

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4158140 - 08/16/15 04:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

What good luck! C51 managed a ride in a Harvard and it took several hours to take any of the huge smile off his face. Now that Dux is flying again I do hope he didn't shoot the other two planes down by mistake...

We saw that very Mark of Spit at the Air Heritage Museum in Hamilton Ontario. The first and only Spitfire I've ever seen in person. That was a thrill.

#4158179 - 08/16/15 08:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT, Jens,

Another fine picture of the Spitfire XVI - and that appears to be the flag of the Isle of Man in the background...not often seen. I could have done with an extra leg myself on Saturday night as I staggered back home.

We went over to Sheffield a few days ago to a music shop where we gained valuable intelligence regarding the type of equipment we would need when we strike out for one last attempt to earn undying fame. On Tuesday the garage will be reverberating to 'old school' instrumentals as we continue to build up the programme. I have a few ideas for our first gig which will include gathering together a captive audience of friends and relatives. Just how long they will remain friends, or we find ourselves dis-owned by relatives remains to be discovered...

WOV is running OK but I haven't started a campaign just yet.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4158208 - 08/16/15 10:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Universal fame shall be yours I have no doubt. Be careful what you wish for. You are already famous around here you know so it may well be only a matter of time. Kieth Richards is still doing pretty well. Whom ever embalmed that fellow did a fantastic job apparently. That little known band he is associated with just played a gig not too far from here. I understand there was quite a crowd that came to see and hear those old guys perform.

Staggered back you say? I cannot even imagine a confirmed teetotaler like you indisposed by daemon alcohol. wink

As for moi, I haven't been blotto since I regained consciousness on the return flight from Canada. Canadians are a friendly bunch. I never went thirsty while I was up there. And I must say that C51 and his dear wife are wonderful hosts. We gathered some neighbors along with his wife and we visited an Irish pub one evening mostly for the music but for the local beer as well.

I am told I had a great time. All agreed that I greatly helped the musicians remain on course by beating the heck out of my table top somehow keeping perfect time. I had been a fair drummer once upon a time you know. I am proud to say that in spite of being practically legless that night I never fell down even once. Of course my hands and knees got rather dirty on the way back to the car.... bottles

Do you remember that painful time when Olga got a whiff of that rather obvious cloud of ladies perfume surrounding your tunic and decked you with a full bottle of Chateau Thames Embankment (Vin.that very morning)? In the ensuing free for all you decided departing was the better part of valor and crawled through the creaky unbolted door of the archives. Still groggy from the strike on your head, you fell or rolled down all 3,000 crumbling steps to the bottom.

Lying there groaning on the cold stones you made out through the gloom several cases of what appeared to be dusty wine bottles stacked in racks there exposed in the glow of the open door far above. LeRoy had placed it there to protect the last remaining bottles of fine Bordeaux from the heavy German bombing.

It was quite some time before we even missed you. When we did, I immediately organized a gallant search party. At first we looked in all the usual places we'd found your nearly lifeless body in the past. No luck there. Then the sound of the odd cork popping at all hours of the day and night and the distant breaking of empty bottles eventually took us in the right direction.

Opening the archive door wide and fearing the worst,the cringing sound of the most horrid singing imaginable confirmed where you were. Once we knew you were among the living we just closed the archive door and left you to your singing. Was it 5 days or 6 before you were able to stand again much less crawl up all those steps? LeRoy sadly reported to me the demise of every bottle of wine he had so carefully carried to safety. As for your nibs, you were never fitter. No sign of even a hangover.

No, I cannot even imagine you incapacitated by alcohol. smile

#4160806 - 08/24/15 09:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT, Jens...

"Passare il vino e portare sul Mig 29!"

Manfred von Richtofen

#4160836 - 08/25/15 12:12 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

!!!! Vino indeed. I do not know if the plane is fully loaded or not but I suspect that the pilot may be...

Thanks for posting that.

#4160878 - 08/25/15 06:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

I think it would have been flown at minimum weight - after a protracted search for volunteers to enjoy the ride. eek

Manfred von Richtofen

#4162230 - 08/28/15 02:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

A protracted search I am sure. One perhaps that reached into all local drunk tanks, opium dens and asylums. smile

Here is what to me was an interesting story regarding the highest scoring Mustang pilot in the ETO. I was only vaguely aware of the pilot and totally unaware that Maj. Preddy was a North Carolinian. Sadly, this great ace died due to friendly fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBNj-2siJMg

#4162567 - 08/29/15 07:30 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

I had certainly heard of Major Preddy as a fighter pilot here in the ETO. Enjoyable and historic footage with comments from the vets, now mostly departed. Aerial supremacy in 1944 was afforded to a huge extent by the P51/Merlin combination and the pilots who flew that famous fighter must have seen themselves as being at the very forefront of combat development! Good post. yep

Manfred von Richtofen

#4167293 - 09/10/15 05:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

JRT, Jens and all...

Christmas shopping nonsense is already gearing up in our supermarkets with placards and early offers appearing with a monotonous regularity.

We haven't even had our last getaway yet. That will be next weekend with six of us and two doggies off on another trip to the fair isle of Anglesey. We are enjoying something of an Indian summer this week but it will be expecting too much for it to last throughout the month.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4167312 - 09/10/15 06:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Shocking news OldDux, about the premature Christmas shopping nonsense. Absolutely shocking.

Here, one tries to stay one the bike as the weather allows. Some days the wind has been so prevalent that my progress on those rides must have looked like an old Gooney Bird sideslipping.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4168384 - 09/13/15 06:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

After enjoying a three day live stream from the Goodwood Revival featuiring lots of vintage cars and planes this week-end, I was on the search of some more YouTube goodness and indeed, I found some very interesting programming, in light of the forthcoming 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britian.

This is rare and never seen before, by me at least. Enjoy!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4168513 - 09/14/15 07:20 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

Jens,

Thanks for posting that. I didn't recall it before but it is well worth watching. In those days it became almost fashionable to denigrate the efforts of our war heroes but I am pleased to see that Bader's story was well represented by Eamonn Andrews on This Is Your Life. There are many more characters and personalities from around that time who appear in the programme who are sadly, also, no longer with us.

We had been travelling to south Wales on a birding trip when the news came over on the radio that Bader had died while attending a dinner the night before.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4168862 - 09/14/15 09:55 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Sorry for your troubles Dux. When I was diddling away my Christmases in the Shopping Center Industry the main complaint we heard in my offices was that our retailers were beginning to celebrate the Christmas season too early and getting earlier every year. I'd hear complaints that the holidays were beginning to run together.

I just couldn't see it. At my house Santa always road a broomstick, carried a pumpkin and had a pet Turkey. Didn't everyone? wink

I wonder who went first, Bader, Lee Mallory or Kieth Park?

#4169250 - 09/15/15 06:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Watching the programme myself, I was struck by how utterly annoying I find the concept of "this is your life"; You go to the trouble of assembling a dozen legendary characters and then you spend 90% of the time listening to the presenter droning on and on. I'd much rather just have been a fly on the wall on such an occasion and let the old boys talk amongst themselves.

I must admit feeling a bit sorry for Bader, who had to get up and sit down an endless number of times. Only Dolfo Galland tried to dispense with the bother.

Tonight there's an hours show on Channel 4, commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Battle.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Page 469 of 608 1 2 467 468 469 470 471 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.