Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4161645 - 08/27/15 07:15 AM Potentially stupid question-landing HUD?  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

OK, I realize this is a basic, near arcade survey sim.

And I have poured over the key control web page/site.

But how do I switch back to a landing/nav mode in the HUD so I can get the ILS to work? Or at least without a gun piper in my HUD? How do I do this?

Thanks in advance,

IamFritz

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4161706 - 08/27/15 01:14 PM Re: Potentially stupid question-landing HUD? [Re: IamFritz]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
In the main menu do to Options -> Controls and in the 'Controls' menu press the 'Customize...' option.
In the Keyboard Customize menu that will popup, look for the "gunsight mode" commands (actually they are two of such commands, the 'Next gunsight mode' and 'Previous gunsight mode') located under the Weapons Commands section. Those are the keys that will change your HUD menu if and when you're flying an aircraft equipped with a HUD.

For the ILS projected in the HUD, you have to change the gunsight/HUD mode to NAV mode but note (if I'm not mistaken) not all aircraft that are equipped with HUDs will have the ILS needles projected in the HUD.
For example I do remember that the F-14 (which comes with SF2:North Atlantic) actually has ILS needles projected in the HUD but if I'm not mistaken the ILS will only appear on the HUD (in the F-14) when your HUD is in NAV mode and your landing gear is extended/lowered.
Regarding other HUD equipped aircraft in SF2, I'm not sure but again I believe that some may not be equipped with ILS needles in the HUD (only on a cockpit instrument). This is likely accurate since if you notice, these Strike Fighters series sims are designed to model aircraft up to the very early 80's (up to 1982 to be more precise) and actually centers more on aircraft of the 60's and 70's where HUDs where a novelty (or something futuristic) and therefore rare and ILS projected in the HUD was even rarer!

#4164556 - 09/03/15 03:11 AM Re: Potentially stupid question-landing HUD? [Re: IamFritz]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

Got it. I'd hoped it was as simple as knowing the correct name for the button.

Thanks!

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#4164626 - 09/03/15 11:07 AM Re: Potentially stupid question-landing HUD? [Re: IamFritz]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
When Strike Fighters (and later Strike Fighters:Vietnam) came out there were no aircraft equipped with HUDs.
This means that all aircraft had gunsights only (instead of HUDs) and while gunsights aren't HUDs they still have 3 modes (Air-to-Air, Air-to-Ground and boresight/static or something like that).
The commands that change those modes are (like mentioned above) 'Next gunsight mode' and 'Previous gunsight mode'

It was only when Strike Fighters:Europe came up that the first HUD equipped aircraft came up (the F-15A, the A-10A and the Harrier Gr3).
Of course that HUD equipped aircraft don't have gunsights (they are replaced by the HUDs) and since gunsights in Strike Fighters have 3 modes just like the HUDs (Air-to-Air, Air-to-Ground and NAV) it makes sense (at least IMO) to reuse and apply the gunsight commands into the HUD.

Glad that I could help.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.