Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4160883 - 08/25/15 06:51 AM Playing with History  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

“..and in the meantime?”
“this could be considered, a trial run. Until the next programme is ready.”
“You’ll be playing with human’s lives. Despite our superiority, we do owe some degree of concern to lesser beings..”
“We’re not the gods of yester-millennia, we owe them nothing. Besides, they will be clones, our original blockade and quarantine will be unaffected. I won’t allow any contact to leave the experiment. “
“Your hypothesis is quite interesting, yet we have not experienced war on this scale.”
“everything will be in order, the resources we can take from nearby gas giants, and the energy from solar sources, it will be purely isolated, a scientist’s dream. It was a crazy time, and to replicate it, albeit with a few alterations, it could be interesting.”
“I assume you’ll not interfere?”
“quite the contrary, I’ll use the mind control devices we used on the Alitians so successfully. How would the individual human.. nations respond? As a sociology and political study, we could understand how they think better.”
“primitives and mud-crawlers think alike.”
“Indeed, but these mud-crawlers had an entire war, confined to one planet. Never in our long history have we fought such an isolated war.”
“you’ll report to the council review? Weekly?”
“of course, as best as I timeously can. There will be delays of course.”
“Then I approve, do not resort to our beam cannons. Their minds might not appreciate the extra-terrestrial, they had enough on their cuisine -dispensary model.”
“Excellent. A human expression, How quaint.”
And with that, the relay connection collapsed. Marian had his signature, and the programme could commence. A small opening around the side of his humanoid figure where his mandibles were stored opened, ever-so slowly, and a harsh barking sound emitted for what passed as his species display of amusement.
But enough of that. He had plans to put in place.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4160885 - 08/25/15 07:10 AM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

2nd January 1936 Committee Review Report 2

In the interest of science, I have decided to attach myself to the neural capacitors on certain individuals whom I have chosen to follow. Allowing me a complete picture of their life, from thoughts to sight, smell, touch – everything. It helps to gather empirical data when one is studying human civilisation, and none more to when one can access their neural processes, something completely invasive and harmful to actual human specimen. Our Clones have the necessary links that bypass our earlier, primitive methods of “observation”
My first target is a young second lieutenant of the Soviet Air Force, flying ground-bomber planes. His viewpoint in future will of particular import. His recollections follow.

My first flight! I have passed all my exams! Had countless hours of instructor drills and training, and now I am here, 2nd of January, 1936, me, Victor Avilov, who has been given a pass to the SU-25, combat air support plane. I wield death and destruction to and mud-crawlers who are below me. Err, obviously, after a few training flights that is.
Luckily, I get my first one at 9:00 am this morning.

An Su-25 at our base, earlier last year, it’s too cold to leave the aircraft outside in our winter months.

Fortunately, I can use our advanced technology to get an image outside of our subjects mind. His post-card photo’s he adds in his journal will not be enough for our purposes.

My SU-25 in the hanger

I slowly started up, following the checklist, and headed out towards the runway. A few important eyes would be on me, so it’s best to follow everything by the letter.
One of my friends was in his trainer aircraft taking off. Alexi. He had signed up to be a fighter aircraft pilot. I regard the SU-25 a more tangible support aircraft to my fellow army brothers on the ground.

A Trainer Aircraft used by the USSR to train upcoming fighter aircraft.

At the runway, I steadied my nerves, closed the cockpit, and cranked the throttle to maximum. Holding the brakes, I released them when the plane started to move.

We were off!

Coming up at around 2000 metres, I could survey the area. It was still a winter morning, and it was great to be in the air at last! I steadied myself and got used to the controls, the SU-25 is a rough, yet solid aircraft.

It may be useful to give a picture of the aircraft the USSR uses at the beginning of 1936 that I have set in my world parameters for this experiment.

The Su-24 is largely still experimental. The SU-24, a bomber aircraft, which has a high speed, as seen here. it is intended to enter service in 1938-9.[i]

A mig-21 flight was near by, this fighter was almost obsolete at this time, but I’ll have to convince a few minds of it war-weariness.

After a short, 20 minute flight, it was time to land, navigating using the steam gauges, I lined up my approach on the nearby runway

Coming in to land, you can see the runway lights, a very useful aid. Landing speed should be about 270- 330 KM/PH, but a decent airbrake, and a parachute attached to the end of the aircraft can stop the aircraft in no time.

Landing was quite rough, I had come in too high, and perhaps slightly fast. Nevertheless, the aircraft landed safely, and I could taxi out to the station and debrief with my commander. For a first flight, I had passed my tests.

[i]I’ll leave Victor, I have important matters to interfere with to get my experiment to my taste. I have selected him in order to get a feel for the fighting on the ground, yet from a bird’s eye view. The Combat Air Support Arm of the USSR will be essential to its military operations in future years.
I will have further reports coming in over the next few weeks.

#4160898 - 08/25/15 09:54 AM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

4th January 1936 Committee Review Report 2

After altering a few variables I had failed to consider, I now have further expanded my observation controls to other characters in my experiments. A lieutenant attached to the USSR ground forces. In consideration of the human species, his intellect and command ability are notable- nothing our own beloved Martian Corps would take note of- but his insights may give further expression to our aims. I first observe him here, at his military base.

Ah, a beautiful sunny morning. Russia, last year’s winter felt so long, I’d feared I’d never be warm again. Anyway, tis’ I, Alexander Popov, Lieutenant of the Red Army, attending my first briefing of my new command. –but more on that later-

I'm attending the briefing with my superiours, we're discussing our supply and logistical problems as well as my recent promotion. I'm the happy fellow on the lefthand side with his arms folded. my thanks to one of our aides for this photo.

Here we're surrounded by our armoured formation, a BRDM providing much needed anti-armour tank destroyer weapons, and our main battle tank, the T-55 for our armoured punch.

the T-55A tank. a new and proud addition to our Soviet Armed Forces

the Soviet Formations and High Command will soon be going under a serious reformation programme.
You’ll detect an under-tone of distress at the USSR’s military capability. Its leaders had serious doubts about its military prepared-ness and quality. Its armoured forces are minimal and its vehicles are inferior compared to its neighbours. Its resources, however, are vast. Something we’ll see over time. Efforts are being made to develop new improvements and designs by intelligent scientists and engineers. I may give an overview soon of technological improvements sooner.
But first, I have work to attend to. This experiment is but yet in its infancy.

Last edited by venerablesteele; 08/26/15 12:37 PM.
#4163715 - 09/01/15 07:47 AM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

4th May 1936 Committee Review Report 3

Having observed the entire world for a few months to get my bearings, I now return briefly back to Russia. You may find the jumping about strange, but it is important to see and understand the human way of thinking. Their fears, concerns, delights and angers. Our quarantine one day may have to come down, and we should be able to understand them.

A BRDM and T-55A tank column advance their way to their assigned deployments along the soviet polish border.

Here is the Soviet answer to superior armoured forces, their Tank Destroyer units. Chiefly equipped with ATGM BRDMS, the Soviets hope to stop armoured forces with these slow-moving missiles.
I follow Grisha Denikin, a young Soviet Tank Commander, fresh out of training.

Today we drove another 100 kilometres. Its hard. The roads are not meant to take tank tracks and tanks are not meant to be driven for long stretches on road. The trains are under strain, so some of us have to drive. The commander, of course, gets the train, but us lowly peasants get the road.

Grisha turned out from the turret.

there will be many troops movements and re-equipping in future. I've directed a few minds in the Politburo to have concern over the world's rearmament, especially the recent provocations in germany. Its time the Soviets respond in kind.

#4194690 - 11/15/15 01:18 PM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

12th September 1936 Committee Review Report 4

At hidden locations deep within the Russian Interior, Russian Technicians, scientists and field engineeers conduct extensive testing, development and creation of new prototypes hastily demanded by the Politburo.

Sensing some disquiet in the west due to the re-armament and the advancement to power of Hitler, the Politburo is beginning to realize its military shortages in upgrades and sufficient tanks.

The new T-55A, already in production phase having passed the prototype stage.

Here Soviet Scientists test out various procedures and train technicians on the operation of the BRDM and the T-55A.

the Latest airforce trainer, the L39C, here in Czech livery, is awaiting the next batch of trainee pilots.

Su-24 Bomber undergoing maintenance

A new and unique design, a aircraft capable of hovering! while still in its early stages and the military is still evaluating this craft for military uses, a "helicopter" can hover in the air.

here, it is undertaking its first flight, to much delight of the crew.

Here, detailed above, are some of the latest developments of the Soviet armed forces. Scientists and bright-minds are under heavy working hours and take plentiful risks to keep the Soviet motherland in step with the other powers. while it is behind in many regards, great strives forward are expected in the future.

Last edited by venerablesteele; 11/16/15 08:51 AM.
#4194929 - 11/16/15 01:45 AM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
Diavolaccio Offline
Diavolaccio  Offline

Italy
Wow, what a cool mix of games in that AAR, keep posting mate!

#4195184 - 11/16/15 05:58 PM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Nice! thumbsup

#4239130 - 03/12/16 02:31 PM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

Committee Report 5 20 November 1936

The politburo, under my subtle control, begins initiating various reforms and economic changes. The 5 year plans are in effect, and societies and communities are pressed into collective farms. Some protest, but not for long.
This coming years will be tough, but we have to adapt.
This no doubt tests the will of our clones, but the research possibilities are still exciting.
Around the USSR, various military units are deployed to ensure peace and order.

The tension and anger expressed at such measures taken by the politburo has dramatic effects for some provinces, whose citizens turn to violence.

21 November 1936

I turn to a village in Western Russia, South of Moscow.
Angry citizens riot against a passing military convoy and destroy an armoured tank. Troops withdraw and count their losses, before being order into the fray.

I nervously finger my weapon. My first assignment! My heart beats steadily. My name is Viliski, and I’m barely 17. I find it curious that I can be taught a weapon but I’m not allowed to drink alcohol yet. I might break the law if the stress continues like this.

Our old truck halts before the village up ahead. Shooting and burning flames can be heard. Smoke rises.
Alright comrades! There is the rebel village! They dare defy our great leaders! Let us go and remind them of their loyalties. Off we go! Get out! Get out!

Our sergeant shouts, an old man who drinks heavily and smokes almost constantly. Its amazing he hasn’t become broke from such consumption.

We quickly dismount from the truck and start up the road.

Bullets start to fly nearby.

CONTACT! RIGHT SIDE! ENEMY ACROSS THE FARM!

our squad opens up on small figures firing at us from across the road. Quickly we push up the road as the light returning fire cracks above our heads. We seem to be better shots. Most civilians don’t practice with their weapons the way we have to.

We move up to the village, covering each other as we go and as we were trained. My shots are shaky and unsteady. I don’t aim to kill anyone.. ..

A few of the older ones are more used to this sort of thing. One of the crazy ones even cracks a smile. Its amazing that human life can seek this out.
We beat back any attackers. Snipers shoot at us from the windows and far trees. My squad members lay down fire and either injure them or drive them away. The enemy are not determined soldiers.

A map of the area shows our current position.

I go through one of the side streets and come across a soldier, face down in the dirt, one of the ones who shot at us. His life is gone. No dignity or grace in his current circumstances.

I feel the urge to throw up, but I manage to keep it down.

My squad mates take casualties, but my leader urges us on, and returns heavy fire.

Our medics come across the slain corpses of the tank crew.

After another 25 minutes that seem a life time, the last rebel is sighted, and killed.
A few our our own won’t join us at the bar tonight, but our squad leader seems impressed, shouting and congratulating us, slapping us on the back as we walk back to our vehicle., but I don’t share in my squadmates happiness.

The Russian Reponses are firm and brutal. Any uprisings are quickly put down across the country. By and the large the changes are quickly accepted and productivity improves. This will be necessary for the times ahead.

Last edited by venerablesteele; 03/12/16 02:32 PM.
#4240000 - 03/15/16 10:06 AM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Wow! As has been stated, such a great job of combining so many games into one fantastic alternative history AAR. I'm still a bit confused by the technology and armament gaps, but still immersive nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing much more.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4241655 - 03/20/16 07:11 PM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

Comitee Review 1937 March

The start of the year brings a few advancements in the USSR’s inventory. Specifically, a new tank upgrade is envisaged for the T-55 line. I foresee that the tank warfare will be integral In the upcoming wars, yet the Russians remain slightly less convinced. I believe it may be important to get the Russians involved in some smaller wars for the purposes of testing ideas and tactics for the Russians to come round to my way of thinking.
Having access to the clone’s mind is so far providing a useful data base for our experiments and conclusions. It helps us understand them more.

The T-55 AM, an upgraded version of the T-55. it features an Anti-Aircraft gun, and the KTD-2 Laser rangefinder, which soviet designers are newly developing.
Unfortunately, the newer tanks will not be available for every tank division. Some divisions will have to go for the earlier models. Our crack divisions (once we deem them so) will be equipped with the newer models.

Soviet Technicians installing ugrades.

I take the committee to a new pilot's first bombing qualifications run.

Here we are, another bombing run. I remember my first flight! the excitement, the fear, the desire to succeed and the immense wonder of flight. now of course, the fear is less, but the excitement and the wonder still remain. I've trained with cannons and a few rockets, but this time we've had an extended budget, so I can use some iron bombs on an old training row of broken trucks.

I set my flight time for 8:00 am, in perfect flying conditions. Spring is lovely for flying.

starting my engines and surveying the airport, as the engines spool up and the low whine begins to start. I run through my check-lists and give the all-ok to the ground crew.

a roar erupts across the airport as the Mig-21 patrol races down the runway.

I taxi past the civilian passenger planes. I hear Soviet Air Command is developing a massive transport plane, intended to transport troops and tanks by the air. what a sight that would be!
all taxied, and granted permission, I spool up the engine on full power while holding the brakes.

and lift off!

I pull up and lift up the gear, while watching my rate of climb and my airspeed.

I begin my turn towards the bombing range.

once level flight is achieved, I can get my bearings, the target is a few kilometres south of the lake, (to the right).

I gain sight of the target, and begin my bombing dive. I lower the gunsight, switch on flaps to steady the bombsight, and line up the target..

Release! I'm a little too the left, but here's hoping...

I pull out of my dive, and see explosions rattle off to my left as I pull away. I'll come around for another pass with my rockets.

rippling them in salvo's I appear to hit a few targets. remembering my training, I fire off a few flares to prevent the anti-air craft missiles. while this is a training mission, when its for real this will be essential.

I come around for another pass, this time, using my guns. most of the targets are destroyed, and now its time to merely wrap up the survivors.

with most of my ammunition expended, I begin the flight back home. as I look across the bombing range, I just see billowing smoke and flames. A bomber's favourite sight! .

catching sight of the airport, I radio tower and begin my approach, I'm a little high, but nothing that an airbrake and a dive can't sort out.

final flare as I hit the runway.

touchdown!

I deploy the drogue shoot and the plane slowly rolls to a steady ground speed.

I turn off the engines and let the cool air of the earth wash over me once the cockpit is opened. success! I hear the ground crew running up and the smiles of the ground ordinances team. they must be impressed. I'm getting good at this.

I wonder what the real thing is like?

#4241656 - 03/20/16 07:12 PM Re: Playing with History [Re: venerablesteele]  
venerablesteele Offline
venerablesteele  Offline

Responses to feedback from the commitee

Quote:
Wow, what a cool mix of games in that AAR, keep posting mate!

Quote:
Nice! thumbsup

Quote:
Wow! As has been stated, such a great job of combining so many games into one fantastic alternative history AAR. I'm still a bit confused by the technology and armament gaps, but still immersive nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing much more.

Thanks guys!

My original goal here is to showcase my HOI 3 campaign as the USSR with an image of what it would be like on the ground. to that end I have found a few games to simulate and image what it would be like. I'll stick to the HOI time line and I create missions for myself to complete and post the AAR.

I've added the story elements to keep a few twists and intrigue here and there.

as for the timeline and armament gaps, I've roughly got an idea in my head of "eras" corresponding to different types of tanks and weapons used. for example, 1939-41 would be the t-55, t-62 & t-75 tanks versus leopards or whatever the like. laser guided bombs and such will make an appearance, to much fan-fare!

I'll be posting the HOI overview soon, but this is just to set the scene and introduce the characters.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.