Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4151965 - 07/29/15 10:26 PM Battletech KickStarter  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
New Battletech KickStarter coming this fall apparently, the description definitely sounds good:

http://battletechgame.com/
Quote:

TACTICAL MECH
COMBAT RETURNS TO THE PC.

Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.

Hopefully it doesn't suck and die like Mechwarrior Tactics did..

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4151976 - 07/29/15 10:50 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
It's hard to imagine that they would come up with something that would be WORSE than MW Tactics was.

Honestly, it's mind-boggling how bad that game was. I've never seen anything so incomparably worthless in the PC world before.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4151978 - 07/29/15 10:53 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Talon Offline
Talon  Offline

Tampa, FL USA
I'm interested. I remember playing Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception and Crescent Hawk's Revenge; loved those games. I also enjoyed the MechWarrior series but skipped Tactics. I played a demo but it did not engage me as much as the older games. If Harebrained captures the essence of the older games I think they will have a hit on their hands.

--T

Support simulation in the classroom.
#4151996 - 07/30/15 12:32 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I did not like tactics though I loved MW2, MW3, MW4, MC1 and MC2....

Can't do MWO though which is funny since I love playing War Thunder. I think MWO is just too fast for me.

- Ice
#4152005 - 07/30/15 01:10 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I'd love to have a Battletech game similar to the Card Hunters game.

#4152008 - 07/30/15 01:12 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: Talon]  
Feetwet Offline
Son of Birmingham
Feetwet  Offline
Son of Birmingham

Houston, Tx
Originally Posted By: Talon
I'm interested. I remember playing Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception and Crescent Hawk's Revenge; loved those games. I also enjoyed the MechWarrior series but skipped Tactics. I played a demo but it did not engage me as much as the older games. If Harebrained captures the essence of the older games I think they will have a hit on their hands.

--T

The description reminds me of the same 2 games. Loved those and have been craving something similar forever. I'll have to keep watch.

MWO callsign Feetwet
#4152033 - 07/30/15 02:37 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
There was a game loooong ago on the Amiga called MechForce (it was my introduction to Battletech). It was a shareware game, turn based tactical hex map kinda game.
Loads of fun - you could design custom maps, mechs, and missions; you could roll characters and advance them as they gained combat experience, you collected salvage and C-bills, awesome stuff. Hope this game winds up something like that was.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4152037 - 07/30/15 02:49 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah I loved the BT Crescent Hawks games (on the c-64), one good sign is this is supposedly going to be developed by Harebrained Studio which have done a good job with the recent Shadowrun games (which I was a backer for).

Fingers crossed.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4152039 - 07/30/15 02:55 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

Yeah Harebrained did an awesome job with the Shadowrun license. To be honest if they simply take the table top rules, and just make it graphically awesome I'm in big time. I still pull out my mechs and rulebooks and play solo, as all my old gaming buddies have moved. I do hope it's classic Succession Wars up to the Clan Invasion, but who am I kidding, I'd buy it even if it was dark age.

-Jenrick

#4152056 - 07/30/15 04:50 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo
There was a game loooong ago on the Amiga called MechForce (it was my introduction to Battletech). It was a shareware game, turn based tactical hex map kinda game.
Loads of fun - you could design custom maps, mechs, and missions; you could roll characters and advance them as they gained combat experience, you collected salvage and C-bills, awesome stuff. Hope this game winds up something like that was.

I know what you mean, we played that on a friends Amiga for hours and hours in college. It was fun rolling up a pilot, building and then hitting the maps. It was fun to set fire to the forest and fight from the water for the heat/cooling effects.
If this game is like that, I'm in.
I think there's a version of that out there somewhere in an Amiga emulator, I used to have a link. Didn't mess with it enough to get it running though.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4152087 - 07/30/15 09:37 AM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: kludger
Yeah I loved the BT Crescent Hawks games (on the c-64), one good sign is this is supposedly going to be developed by Harebrained Studio which have done a good job with the recent Shadowrun games (which I was a backer for).

Fingers crossed.

Yep.

yep

I have high hopes for a turn-based BT game. Will certainly support the kickstarter campaign.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4152139 - 07/30/15 01:14 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
So are we going to get an actual game here or another free to play arena shooter...

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4152178 - 07/30/15 02:01 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo

I know what you mean, we played that on a friends Amiga for hours and hours in college. It was fun rolling up a pilot, building and then hitting the maps. It was fun to set fire to the forest and fight from the water for the heat/cooling effects.
If this game is like that, I'm in.
I think there's a version of that out there somewhere in an Amiga emulator, I used to have a link. Didn't mess with it enough to get it running though.

Come to think of it, I DID pick up an Amiga emulator ages ago, I should fire it up. I know I burned all my Amiga stuff to disk, I have it around somewhere. I'll see if I can't get that going again.

I used to make custom missions and release them on the Aminet, I had a good number of them out there. Making missions was almost as much fun as playing the game!

I had forgotten about setting forests on fire, I also liked the melee and dropping down from jump jets onto somebody. And of course the explosion sound when you blew up an engine was sweet, sweet music!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4152381 - 07/30/15 10:21 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: Peally]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Originally Posted By: Peally
So are we going to get an actual game here or another free to play arena shooter...

It will be a turn-based tactical game with a merc-style campaign with RPG and squad management elements.

Think more of the old BT games for the C64/DOS rather than MechWarior Online.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4152396 - 07/30/15 11:20 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I'm fine with a hex/turn based game. I hope the campaign has a story and it's entertaining, as well as a dynamic campaign. Online co-op would be good.
Can't say I'm all that interested in MP, but that would be fine if SP and co-op are the focus.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4152559 - 07/31/15 01:31 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I would be OK with that as well, the game certainly sounds interesting. What I don't want is a beautiful trailer of something I want and years later get something playable but completely half assed in comparison (MWO) wink

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4152726 - 07/31/15 10:39 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Well, considering Harebrained Schemes are the creators of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in the last decade, I do have high hopes for this one.

#4152728 - 07/31/15 10:45 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Clydewinder Offline
Clydewinder  Offline
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Well, considering Harebrained Schemes are the creators of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in the last decade, I do have high hopes for this one.

+1

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4152732 - 07/31/15 11:06 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: kludger]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

I refruse to get my hopes up.....

Until someone tells me to.....

...I am weak

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#4153136 - 08/02/15 04:55 PM Re: Battletech KickStarter [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I'm fine with a hex/turn based game. I hope the campaign has a story and it's entertaining, as well as a dynamic campaign. Online co-op would be good.
Can't say I'm all that interested in MP, but that would be fine if SP and co-op are the focus.

I'd be into that as well.

-Robert Heinlein

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.