Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
#4143226 - 07/05/15 10:51 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Yeah, I think it's a cool MOD, too. But a bit of a chore to install. Anyways, it doesn't bother me, so I'll just keep updating it whenever I think of something to add to it.... like now.

I always wondered why my fuel tank would be the first thing to get punctured after a ground attack or dogfighting two seaters. Well, I found that one of the fuel tank hit boxes were set so low that it would only take one bullet to hit it and voila! fuel leaks. So, I just added more hit points to that one hit box and now I only get fuel leaks on about a third of those type of missions instead of every single one.

Download link is in the OP. Need to uninstall old MOD and re-install the new a single group at a time.

NOTE: I always forget to mention to remind folks to uninstall ALL MODS before updating WOFF with a patch or ADD-ON.

#4143228 - 07/05/15 10:54 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Just to speed things up I found two groups at a time works just fine also.
Keep up the good work sir!

#4143374 - 07/06/15 12:28 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
There's a lot of reading here, so I'll ask, but what happens if one does not install one at a time and puts all the files in at once?

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4143380 - 07/06/15 12:38 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The fuel tank is in smaller chunks for specific reasons within WOFF's code - we have fire spreading and so on. WOFF has it's own damage code running for most thing not CFS3.

Just 1 small hole in your tank would technically make it leak, like 1 small hole in the bucket.
So around 1% damaged in real life gives you a leak of course. wink

There's zillions of factors to take on board, most bullets would pass through half the craft, until they hit something solid, bit of frame, fuel tank, oil tank, pilot, gun, engine and so on.

There are fuel lines, too and from the engine and so on very easy to get a leak if you take a few hits.

Anyway each to his own.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4143400 - 07/06/15 01:12 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Thanks Pol for the additional information reference the DM.
I put all the info in the bank for future use and decision time.

And CA if you try to add all the files all at once to WOFF you will get a bunch of start-up errors as WOFF cannot "process" them all at once on start-up.
If an on giving this a try go one or two groups at a time.

#4143403 - 07/06/15 01:16 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I installed it one at a time as directed, so was met with no issues.
Just wanted to know, curiosity always becomes me biggrin

#4143408 - 07/06/15 01:23 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Well like I said above you can go two at a time and it worked fine for me and cut the time by....half obviously!

#4143421 - 07/06/15 01:59 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thanks a bunch, Duke. thumbsup I hope you enjoy the MOD, CaNy and please report back your experiences so that I can make adjustments. yep

Pol, I agree with your real life assessment as well as Duke's previous explanation of how bullets travel when hitting WW1 aircraft and it also makes a lot of common sense. However, I am crippled by not being able to see the CODE or where the damage boxes are located. So, my edits are done after I've flown a few QCs and a campaign mission or two just to get a feel of how I would like damaged aircrafts to behave and what I would like to see in mission outcomes. So, yes, I understand that a single bullet hole will cause a fuel leak, but for me it is not fun to see it happen to me and the AI on alomost every airfield/railyard/frontline attack mission, so I beef up the hit points a bit and get a fuel leak on about a third of missions - which seems reasonable.

Also, an important factor to consider is that most folks here would not fly a WW1 aircraft in a real mission during that time period the way they play the game now. Why is this important? because now you still need to change the game's outcome after each mission enough to make it feel like actual WW1 taking into account all those folks who play while taking unrealistic chances.

Also, by using my MOD, there is a greater chance that the AI pilots will survive longer which makes the feel of this sim more in line with what I'm reading in actual combat reports. I could be wrong, but it seems the real life average loss of pilots who were stationed close to the front was about 2 to 4 per squad per week - varies with location, offensive push, etc. This is close to what I'm trying to simulate in my MOD.

So, this DM MOD is limited, but that's the best I can do and it's fun, so far. Of course, I wouldn't mind OBD to consider a few of my DM adjustments and implement them in a patch.... Well, just a thought. biggrin

Last edited by OldHat; 07/06/15 02:06 PM.
#4143434 - 07/06/15 02:15 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
I think OldHats DM is excellent but I like WOFF's default Damage Model now too. I could go with either one and be happy. I think at this point though, IMHO, the best way to reduce scoring to realistic levels is to literally fly WOFF DiD style. No labels, no automatic pilot, no time compression, Encounters set on Normal, etc. That will result in several things:

1. See fewer enemies because there are no labels
2. Of the enemies that you see, fewer engage because you have encounters on Realistic rather than High
3. Fewer combats results in a kill when AI runs away because AI Always Engage is set to OFF
4. Fewer kills because without labels, it's easy to lose sight of enemy planes during furball combats
5. Fewer kills when AI drops to low altitude behind their own lines and you refuse to follow them down due to potential ground fire (even if there isn't any in the sim, you don't drop too low as a rule)
6. Player fights more cautiously when they literally have dozens of hours flying time invested in their pilot, so they don't take nearly as many crazy chances in combat. - Ask Creaghorn!
7. Player is more likely to get "bounced" by enemy AI due to no labels and pilot fatigue.
8. Claims denied for any number of reasons; no witness, someone else got the kill, etc

and I'm sure many more that I haven't thought of.

To be sure, the new DM or OldHats great mod also help factor into reducing the players tally once combat occurs, but I think the main reasons the tallies were so slow is because it's a big sky and they were slow moving planes with limited visibility and men flying them who took as few risks as possible with their own lives. Remember - the Brass weren't up there watching what they were doing. It was a lot easier to avoid combat if possible and nobody down below would be the wiser!

I don't think players can go wrong with either DM (OldHats or WOFF's) but I also think there's a limit to how much one particular aspect can go towards reducing overall kills. There are a great many factors that go into determining the rate at which players bring down enemy aircraft and the DM is just one of several that I think play an important role in that.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4143589 - 07/06/15 09:08 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes good points Hellshade. One of the big problems is making a sim in which you can easily "live again" be the same as real life where you get 1 big go, and then it's all over.
As we saw previously over the years one man's hard damage model is another's easy DM but small refinements are very hard to qualify / quantify too as it depends on that and so many other factors.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4143646 - 07/07/15 03:03 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Another patch!! Another MOD update!! eek2

Wait a minute...if I post the update, then OBD will release v2.11 tomorrow and the cycle will never end.... I need more coffee... mycomputer

Instructions to install the update is in the OP.

#4143895 - 07/07/15 06:06 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
Tried method one, simply replacing groups 2 and 6. Had no troubles whatsoever. Great Mod.

#4151994 - 07/30/15 12:24 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Update to v2.12 on OP.

#4152063 - 07/30/15 05:18 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Nice!
Thanks OldHat.

#4152873 - 08/01/15 12:45 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Oldhat what are the group 1 group 2 group 3 etc folders ?

#4152993 - 08/01/15 09:30 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Jim Bobb: When you update JSGME you must do it one or two groups (two works fine) at a time. OldHat goes into detail a few pages back. If you try to update everything at once, the game will have errors.

Old Hat: I've been experimenting with your mod this afternoon. So far I'm liking it alot.

Pros for me:
As noted by others, the primary furball/dogfight is lasting alot longer: 2-4 minutes. Not only does that make a prettier sight, but some interesting tactics as you have to dodge this way and that.

It's still not TOO difficult to get a kill - something I worried about as I'm a pretty mediocre player.

The AI's tactics seem to have improved. Perhaps that's just a result of their better staying power, but I just LOST a duel with a Sop Tripe that kept trying to lure me into the trees. We circled at about 50 feet altitude for 3 or 4 minutes, I was getting the upper hand, and just when I was sure I had him I overshot, he plinked me a few times, and into the trees I sailed.

Cons for me:
It might be too hard for the AI to kill each other (I'm not using your damage reduction mod). I ran an all AI 11 on 11 QC duel, and only 1 A/C went down. Something I need to keep an eye on.

Again, thanks alot Old Hat. I may have to relearn some of my beloved tactics now.

#4152997 - 08/01/15 09:36 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: JimBobb]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: JimBobb
Oldhat what are the group 1 group 2 group 3 etc folders ?

Sorry, for not including the instructions anywhere, as I made a mistake in thinking everyone already read them in the previous posts.

So, here they are (some have reported that it also works by activating 2 groups at a time as well):

The way I word my instructions are confusing to most folks, so it's my fault. To clarify my instructions, here are the steps in pictures:

Step 1: unpack the MOD into JSGME so that it looks like this.

Step 2: Activate the first Group. Then start WOFF and launch a Quick Combat mission (fly only for a few seconds). Then exit QC and out of WOFF.

Step 3: Activate the second Group and do the same in QC. Then exit out of WOFF

Last Steps: Continue to repeat the same until all groups are loaded into JSGME and you're done.

#4153072 - 08/02/15 04:59 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Oldhat,I don't think you need to exit out of WOFF completely as just exiting the QC session worked for me in installing your mod.

#4153079 - 08/02/15 06:04 AM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thank you for sharing that, Wolfstriked. This alleviates the tedium of the MOD's installation a bit.

CatKnight , Thanks for sharing your experience with this MOD and I'm glad to see that you're liking it.

I have played with this MOD installed since about mid June. Overall here are my observations:

- Consistent mission outcomes. I average about 1 AI pilot loss per week. In fact, my pilot usually dies before I can see how long the sqaud will survive.

- Dogfights do last a bit longer. But AI fatigue soon kicks in for both enemy and friendly planes usually resulting in everyone escaping for home.

- Two-seaters: unless (a) you're a marksman, or (b) have an ace within your flight, or (c) have a great advantage over them like outnumber or outclass them, forget about scoring victories. They will shred you to pieces and still make it home in time for lunch. Also, the rest of your squad will usually ditch a disadvantageous fight before they get too badly injured.

Also, I have modified the vision distances further out so that ambushes only happen during low visibility conditions like cloudy days. With better visibility, the AI planes have ample time to react either to escape or pursue a fight. I'm still undecided if I'm going to keep the defensive visibility values where planes don't notice you too quickly approaching from below and behind. I know it's already included in stock WOFF, but I've delayed the reaction times a bit more. I'll keep testing this one.

So, bottom line is that I will not make any more changes to this MOD until OBD releases another DM revision or patch.

#4153114 - 08/02/15 01:25 PM Re: Aircraft DM MOD for v2.xx [Re: CatKnight]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Catnight, the 2.11 update included some DM changes to allow more control for AI when damaged anyway so unless you flew a lot with that to test first before applying a mod (100s of missions) then it's hard to say of course.

Regards,

Polovski,
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.