Hop To
#4151579 - 07/29/15 04:08 AM Home Automation Anonymous  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Anyone else here a control freak? smile

I spend hours upon hours getting my home computer network, devices, media hub PC, security cameras and environment control system set up juuust right ... and I’m just scratching the surface of Home Automation!

I’ve become obsessed with making all these great (low cost) gadgets work dependably, 24 by 7 but I’ve had mixed results.

Any affordable 100% success stories would be appreciated! ...

One component I’d really like to replace is Emby (http://emby.media/). It’s ok as a music hub but not as a video hub and it handles Chromecast even worse.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4151659 - 07/29/15 11:41 AM Re: Home Automation Anonymous [Re: Linebacker]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
You are not alone with that obsession smile

Been into HA since the 80's and it's been a slow market for sure but with the new buzzword "IoT" flying around expect that things will change rapidly coming year!

Since I'm a electronics engineer by trade I've built most of my stuff myself as well as making own protocols etc. but I intend to start replacing stuff with WiFi and BLE nodes since TCP/IP (and also 6LowPan) is the future.

There are tons of HA protocols available and new ones being "hyped" every month now - it's really a mess! In the long run only a few will survive and since TCP/IP is all over the globe already it's IMO a safer bet than anything else.

/KC

>> It's all about teamwork! <<
#4151693 - 07/29/15 01:13 PM Re: Home Automation Anonymous [Re: Linebacker]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Every time I take two steps into it I wind up taking two steps back out when the setup fails.

Just the simple idea of a universal remote often falls on its face as I find functions I couldn't map to the universal one or some function in a sequence gets missed and I have some things turned on and some turned off.

In the end, I've largely sided with simplicity of design over theoretical simplicity of use (since the latter rarely stays simple).

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4151698 - 07/29/15 01:20 PM Re: Home Automation Anonymous [Re: Jedi Master]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
In the end, I've largely sided with simplicity of design over theoretical simplicity of use (since the latter rarely stays simple).

Yea, simplicity is one of the harder parts when making/getting a HA system. It must work 99.9% of the time and be really easy to setup and use (in other words wife/kids friendly) else it won't be used at all after the novelty wears off.

I try hard to follow the KISS "rule" when I decide to do anything and some tasks is better to not automate since they are quicker/easier to do like you always done.

/KC

#4151997 - 07/30/15 12:36 AM Re: Home Automation Anonymous [Re: KeyCat]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
With respect to those universal remotes like the Logitech Harmony line, I found that when I had mine, I’d more often than not be telling the remote where it’s going wrong to get a set of devices running in the proper mode with the push of one button.

It finally and inexplicably broke and I never bought another one. My remotes are just on/off buttons for me now anyway since I use my tablets or phone for controlling media playback throughout the house.

Keep it simple is definitely a good rule.

Originally Posted By: KeyCat
There are tons of HA protocols available and new ones being "hyped" every month now - it's really a mess! In the long run only a few will survive and since TCP/IP is all over the globe already it's IMO a safer bet than anything else.

Wow, I didn’t know there were so many protocols. I’ve been concentrating on using IP and what hasn’t been so simple (for me anyway) is getting a really dependable WiFi system set up in terms of keeping a solid connection to my Chromecast, cameras, etc. It’s actually been quite fun learning how these WiFi range extenders actually work and how to configure them properly. You’ll often find me walking around the house looking at my WiFi Analyzer app (check it out at the Google Play Store) checking signal strength, channels, mac addresses etc etc.

Anyway, getting back to my media hub ... I think I already looked at Plex and didn’t like it as much as Emby which is why I ended up with Emby but found out that even with a good Wifi network, it’s not cutting it in terms of video playback and Chromecasting. I think I’m going to try Kodi next.

I’m also interested in getting a solid data backup plan in place (network? cloud?).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

#4152006 - 07/30/15 01:11 AM Re: Home Automation Anonymous [Re: Linebacker]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
I do a lot of wireless sensor development that leads into home automation. Can't answer any of your questions but just wanted to say, whatever you install, make sure it's secure. And for God's sake change the default address settings. Simplest thing you can do.

#4152115 - 07/30/15 11:34 AM Re: Home Automation Anonymous [Re: Linebacker]  
KeyCat Offline
KeyCat  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted By: Linebacker
I think I'm going to try Kodi next.

I'm running Kodi and it works great for me. Combined with a Android tablet and the free remote control app named "Yatse" it's easy to search for films/music from the couch.

Quote:

I'm also interested in getting a solid data backup plan in place (network? cloud?).

I prefer to keep my data within my own walls. My solution is a cheap NAS running Linux (also acts like WWW server, VPN, MySQL database etc.) where I backup data from all my machines then once/twice a year I mirror the NAS to a external HDD and store on another location.

/KC

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.