Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4146601 - 07/14/15 08:45 PM DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus  
DarkFib3r Offline
DarkFib3r  Offline

Back in September 2014, Asid posted the following (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10673.690):

"...Training

DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus

Basic training in this context assumes that students are ‘newbies’ not only to Steel Beasts but to armoured vehicle operations generally. Students should have completed the tutorial section for the tank used during the training exercises and be competent in operating it. The training takes place on the SB map representing the Puckapanyal military training area, north of Melbourne, home to the Australian Army’s School of Armour.

Training progression, dependent of individual students’ expertise, will be: Tank Commander, Section Leader (Two tanks), Platoon Commander. Exercises will be repeated as required to ensure individuals gain experience in each role in a timely manner.

Phase 1.
Phase 1a. Map Study. Covers, but is not necessarily restricted to:
1. Terrain awareness. How to use the map view to provide a good mental picture of the terrain and plan routes from one point to another to minimise the possibility of ambush and maximise offensive potential.
2. How to move along those routes using the mutual support method known as ‘travelling overwatch’, in which only one section of two tanks moves at any time, while the other section over-watches their progress and engages any enemy that threatens that movement.
3. How to identify good battle positions
4. How to approach and leave such battle positions, minimising the chances of detection.
5. Communications within the platoon during such manoeuvres.
Phase 1b. Pure manoeuvre training with no enemy putting into effect lessons learned in Phase 1a.
Takes place on the ‘open country’ section of the range with a platoon of four tanks plus a ‘C.O’ tank manned by an instructor.
Phase 1c.
As above but students can expect to encounter and deal with light enemy resistance.
Phase 1d.
As above but with increased enemy resistance.
Note: Students should expect varying enemy resistance during all exercise from this point forward.

Phase 2.
Phase 2a. Introduces the concept of tanks in support of a Mechanised Infantry Company. The MI will normally be run by an instructor as Company Commander while students man the tanks. Open country lane. Tanks lead.
Phase 2b.
As per Phase 1c, ending with the infantry in position to make an assault on a defended hilltop objective.

Phase 3.
Takes place on the more wooded lane of the range. Mech Inf leads. Although the Company Commander is the Mech Inf commander, it is the job of the tank platoon leader to identify potential ambush points and ask the Mech Inf commander to clear them before proceeding.
Phase 3a, 3b, 3c.
Selected exercises from Phases 1 and 2, depending on individuals’ progress, but the final exercise is as per 2a."

I am quite interested in taking this type of training, especially under the tutelage of some of the SB veterans out there. Is there an appetite to hold one of these training sessions? I think I have a decent grasp of the M1A1 and M2A2. I have also been practicing with the SEP, but still need some more work with the CITV and battlesight engagements. I think the biggest challenge is the time difference - I am from central Canada (GMT -5) and I know a lot of the veterans are from Europe. But I also know there are extremely experienced North Americans who might be able to run something like this.

If there is any interest in holding something like this again, please let me know!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4146625 - 07/14/15 09:28 PM Re: DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Just visit the fan site, and post your request in the multiplayer board. I'm sure someone will take you by the hand. smile

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4146661 - 07/14/15 10:50 PM Re: DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Assassin7 Offline
Assassin7  Offline

DarkFib3r,
i see that you are already a members of the Dogs of War. Just drop me a PM and I can help you with the M1A2 SEP. Also I can give you more information in regards to your posts and more things to come for the Dogs of War.
Thanks

Last edited by Assassin7; 07/14/15 10:54 PM.

Proud member of Kanium
#4146967 - 07/15/15 05:19 PM Re: DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Lumi Offline
Lumi  Offline

Finland

Hi there DarkFib3r. This is Lumi. If you ever need someone to play with and wish to do some multigrew. I'm always up for that. When ever I can. Just let me know when, and I will try to be there. smile

This what you planned here look's all great! Would love to do that kind of stuff with you. smile

You can find me from DOW TS and forums if it's urgent.

Sincerely ~ Lumi

Proud member of Dog's of War VU
http://www.DogsofWarVu.com
#4147877 - 07/17/15 08:50 PM Re: DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus [Re: DarkFib3r]  
DarkFib3r Offline
DarkFib3r  Offline

Thanks for the replies! I am on vacation as of next week, so I will be able to plan something with you, soon. I am assuming that the Steel Beasts TeamSpeak server is down and that you guys are now linking up on SimHQ. I'll try to jump on soon to chat with you all.

#4148040 - 07/18/15 12:01 PM Re: DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The SB.com Teamspeak server is up again since last Wednesday, with new moderators.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4149610 - 07/23/15 01:03 AM Re: DOGS OF WAR MBT Basic Training Syllabus [Re: DarkFib3r]  
Assassin7 Offline
Assassin7  Offline

Thanks for showing up, It was very good training and I hope you learned a lot. TTL dude

Proud member of Kanium

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.