Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4146679 - 07/14/15 11:25 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I'm with Para_Bellum on this.

I'll be the first to recognize that ED's business model and heavy-handed forum moderation are worthy of criticism, and I don't begrudge anybody that right (especially those who have been unjustly banned from the ED forums). But there is a difference between criticizing a product and spewing bile that pulls the topic toward negativity. Excepting Scrim (Force10 addressed his post), what we are seeing is the same group of posters who post the same bile regardless of whether said bile is germane to the topic at hand.

What has happened here is that a thread about a video showing smooth frame rates with cannon fire, rockets, and rear view mirrors has become a slogfest of insulting the lack of a release schedule (yes, we're all disappointed but nothing has changed), ED's handling of RRG's Kickstarter promises (this horse is deader than a Monty Python parrot), the lack of a WW2 theater (this can only happen after DCSW 2; nothing has changed), the aforementioned heavy handed forum moderation, as well as additional ad hoc comments that are not worth mention.

I'm fine with discussing the FM/DM of the WW2 aircraft; I'm as frustrated as anybody about this. I also recognize that this is unlikely to change until calculations are offloaded from the CPU to the GPU so that the CPU can address this without frame rate hits. I just think that we should get this topic (and other DCS topics) away from the constant anti-ED bile and keep any criticism related to the subject at hand.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4146682 - 07/14/15 11:31 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

Does the mirrors indicate much in that film? Personally I've got little FPS drops when I'm that high up. It's more when I'm lower down that I've got a problem, then I can get an FPS drop of 20-25.

#4146684 - 07/14/15 11:39 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: HomeFries]  
Tyco Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker
Tyco  Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker

Westerly
Originally Posted By: HomeFries

I'll be the first to recognize that ED's business model and heavy-handed forum moderation are worthy of criticism, and I don't begrudge anybody that right (especially those who have been unjustly banned from the ED forums). But there is a difference between criticizing a product and spewing bile that pulls the topic toward negativity. Excepting Scrim (Force10 addressed his post), what we are seeing is the same group of posters who post the same bile regardless of whether said bile is germane to the topic at hand.

What has happened here is that a thread about a video showing smooth frame rates with cannon fire, rockets, and rear view mirrors has become a slogfest of insulting the lack of a release schedule (yes, we're all disappointed but nothing has changed), ED's handling of RRG's Kickstarter promises (this horse is deader than a Monty Python parrot), the lack of a WW2 theater (this can only happen after DCSW 2; nothing has changed), the aforementioned heavy handed forum moderation, as well as additional ad hoc comments that are not worth mention.

I'm fine with discussing the FM/DM of the WW2 aircraft; I'm as frustrated as anybody about this. I also recognize that this is unlikely to change until calculations are offloaded from the CPU to the GPU so that the CPU can address this without frame rate hits. I just think that we should get this topic (and other DCS topics) away from the constant anti-ED bile and keep any criticism related to the subject at hand.

+1

The bottom line is that DCS is a very good game and a I have personally had a heck of a lot of fun with it. Does it have its probelms? Yes. Is ED just about the worst a company can get when it comes to PR? With the exception of maybe BP, Yes. What I have trouble understanding in this forum is why there are those among us who find it necessary to separate the population into the Pro or anti ED camps. I am dissapointed at ED and I am sometimes annoyed at it. But then I remember that DCS is a game I like to play with my friends and despite ED's numerous shortcomings they have still delivered a good product and are committed to improving it. It would be nice to see people actually talking about the game itself, such as scrims AI comment, rather than reletlessly attacking ED and the people who dont hate them as much as you do.

#4146685 - 07/14/15 11:39 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  

I do not understand.On forum ed you only have a cultural discussions, no one complains, and even people are happy with another delay(ROTFL! yes is true biggrin )
Why do not you visit ed forum , and do not read ed forums, but here complain that someone expresses an opinion?
Still the same group of posters want ban all others, who do not praise ed.

#4146686 - 07/14/15 11:40 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: HomeFries]  
speck01 Offline
speck01  Offline

California

Gotta agree wholeheartedly, but if those in charge here at SimHQ don't see it that way, I'll have to respect that, it's their site and everyone has to make their own (unsuppressed) choices about whether they want to keep visiting or not.

#4146688 - 07/14/15 11:45 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: HomeFries]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

If I want to criticize I will criticize. I have a right to, as I put a hefty amount of change into the dcs ww2 product 2 years ago. To criticize the delays of the ww2 product is germane to a post that is about the ww2 product. If you want to see all criticism of ed as bile, then you have a problem that only you can solve.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4146695 - 07/15/15 12:13 AM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum

I understand the difficulties of providing a fair forum moderation and respect the work you guys do for the community but if you honestly don't realize what's happened here over the last 6 months with the influx of a small number of individuals mostly banned on the official forums whose sole activity over here is to grind an axe with DCS and its developer and how this forum has changed for the worse I am not surprised about the state of it any more.

Let's be clear about something here. I'm here to make sure the rules of SimHQ are enforced...basically that no personal insults are being leveled at anyone. Members are free to post their thoughts/likes/dis-likes/ about the product as they wish as long as they follow the rules.

It is not my place to investigate every user that posts a negative opinion and see if they have been banned at ED and decide what their motivation is for having an certain opinion. It sure seems like instead of countering their negative opinion with your own...the finger gets pointed at myself/SimHQ for allowing the opinion to be here.

While some of you are saying how bad things are here...I can remember times that were much worse..2013 was a particularly nasty time from what I remember. Things aren't the best right now...but they aren't as bad as some are stating.

I generally check in several times an hour...so I see every post and see it go weeks without any ugliness, but as soon as there's a dust up...everyone shows up with criticism on how the site should be run. It's getting old.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4146699 - 07/15/15 12:34 AM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
it is my belief that a forum exists for people to share their points of view - and since we have been free of the unpleasant "answers" of people directly connected with the developer, these forums have been quite civil and posts have overall been very respectful.

there is nothing wrong in negative posts - repetitive or not, if they are based on facts and stated in a polite way.

And they can be posted as many times as a member feels necessary, no one is being forced to read them.

my 2c.

#4146700 - 07/15/15 12:37 AM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I'll be the first to recognize that ED's business model and heavy-handed forum moderation are worthy of criticism, and I don't begrudge anybody that right (especially those who have been unjustly banned from the ED forums). But there is a difference between criticizing a product and spewing bile that pulls the topic toward negativity.

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
If you want to see all criticism of ed as bile, then you have a problem that only you can solve.

And reading comprehension is something that only you can solve.

Last edited by HomeFries; 07/15/15 12:38 AM.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4146702 - 07/15/15 12:45 AM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Cobra847 Offline
Cobra847  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
it is my belief that a forum exists for people to share their points of view - and since we have been free of the unpleasant "answers" of people directly connected with the developer, these forums have been quite civil and posts have overall been very respectful.

there is nothing wrong in negative posts - repetitive or not, if they are based on facts and stated in a polite way.

And they can be posted as many times as a member feels necessary, no one is being forced to read them.

my 2c.

I would strongly disagree, and this thread is a prime example.

Director | Art Director

Heatblur Simulations
#4146707 - 07/15/15 12:51 AM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: scrim]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: scrim
Does the mirrors indicate much in that film? Personally I've got little FPS drops when I'm that high up. It's more when I'm lower down that I've got a problem, then I can get an FPS drop of 20-25.

That always depends on where your mirrors are pointing, sky or gou, not the height. The problem with them is that the engine has to render two scenes when they're up. They will probably always hit the FPS bad, and I mean in every game, not only in DCS. At least we don't get the Arma 3 treatment.

#4146709 - 07/15/15 12:54 AM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: HomeFries]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Y
I'll be the first to recognize that ED's business model and heavy-handed forum moderation are worthy of criticism, and I don't begrudge anybody that right (especially those who have been unjustly banned from the ED forums). But there is a difference between criticizing a product and spewing bile that pulls the topic toward negativity.

If you want to see all criticism of ed as bile, then you have a problem that only you can solve.

And reading comprehension is something that only you can solve.

This post from the guy who said "keep any criticism related to the subject at hand"
Did someone mention an agenda?

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4146711 - 07/15/15 12:56 AM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: Cobra847
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss

my 2c.

I would strongly disagree, and this thread is a prime example.

and you are fully entitled to disagree.

no one is forcing you to agree with my point of view.

wink

#4146891 - 07/15/15 02:26 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

There are some things in the video that amazed me and some things that disappointed me. The disappointment were the scenes that appeared to be over Georgia. There is probably a big billboard somewhere that says Georgia won't change with DCS2 and, if so, I missed it. Nevada looks great as always. The target visibility enhancements have a potential to be some of the biggest improvements with DCS2. Zooming is to me a real immersion killer. Rise of Flight's biggest fault to me was one of its greatest features to everyone else, the ability to identify an impossibly small target 8 miles away in low contrast light.

[Insert Chuck Yeager 50-mile quote counter-argument here]

If Normandy looks plausible, we will all be playing this nearly as much as we will be complaining about it.

#4146900 - 07/15/15 02:51 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: Johnny_Redd]  
Revelation78 Offline
Revelation78  Offline

VA
[quote=Revelation78][quote=Johnny_Redd]
Let me quote the post you quoted but failed to comprehend in your eagerness to mash away at your keyboard
"..the after kickstarter revision"
Those were made by ed. Let's forget about the FACT that ed were a partner in the kickstarter for a moment and go with your train of thought...
Ed picked up the pieces and did what? Finished 2 half finished aircraft and released them. Where is everything else? Everything else has been relegated behind Nevada, hormuz, the f18 and everything else that they have on their plate. I don't expect to see the completion of all that ed has promised in regards to "fulfilling" the kickstarter untill 2017 at the earliest. I would like to be proven wrong but with their track record of delays I doubt I will be.

Yes, hold ED accountable for unrealistic timelines given by the original manager that left the project to die? ED wasn't a partner until the project was going to fail, let's not have facts get in the way though...

DCS WW2 was brought on AFTER those other projects were already in the pipeline. So ED should have stopped all other development to get you your planes faster?

How about some facts summed up nicely:
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11-off-...tml#post2021191

#4146926 - 07/15/15 03:45 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
This is not meant to be a mirror image to ED's site, where any positive talk is subject to being thread-bombed by complaints since ED's site is all just lollipops and rainbows where a negative comment gets dealt with harshly.

You want a place where you can be negative all the time and any positive posts are banned?
Start your own and have at it, spew away.

There is a difference between making a point and belaboring it, yet it seems like many people are incapable of making that distinction. It takes ONE post to make a point. If you think it takes more, you have issues. To repeat it multiple times in a thread is, in a word, tasteless. To repeat the point in multiple threads that are at best peripherally related daily just to give yourself the chance to state it again and again is tacky and uncouth under the best of circumstances, but is likely far worse.

If you honestly fear that if you don't make your point multiple times per threads, in multiple threads, that people will miss it or forget it, you have serious self-esteem problems. If you say it once, and no one comments, then repeating it won't make them finally see it and agree with you because in all likelihood they disagreed, but it will likely piss them off. What possible benefit is it to piss off other people who don't see it in the same light as you? Do you actually believe you're going to change anyone's mind?? rofl

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4146947 - 07/15/15 04:30 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: Smokin_Hole]  
Rakowar Offline
Rakowar  Offline

Originally Posted By: Smokin_Hole
There is probably a big billboard somewhere that says Georgia won't change with DCS2 and, if so, I missed it.

The black sea map doesn't change with DCSW2. It's the same map, but just running in EDGE.

#4146950 - 07/15/15 04:42 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
Rakowar Offline
Rakowar  Offline

Quote:
There is a difference between making a point and belaboring it, yet it seems like many people are incapable of making that distinction.

So, there's a fixed number of times someone's allowed to voice a certain opinion? For future reference, what is that number and who sets it?

As well, does this law also apply to similar sentiments but in reference to different events? I.E. if I express disappointment at an announcement of a delay, and then 3 month later a further delay is announced, am I allowed to be disappointed at the subsequent delay? Or am I only allowed to be disappointed by the first delay? Or is there a certain number of delays I'm allowed to be disappointed in before I'm not allowed to be disappointed anymore?

If you don't mind, could you point out where this formula is outlined in the forum rules? I'm having a hard time finding it. Cheers.

Quote:
You want a place where you can be negative all the time and any positive posts are banned?

Actually, we've already got a forum where we can speak freely. It's called SimHQ.

(Edit: Well, sort of "freely". We do still have the ED secret police lurking here, and their followers crusading to silence any/all criticism. Thankfully the SimHQ staff are on the side of freedom of expression)

Last edited by Rakowar; 07/15/15 04:44 PM.
#4146961 - 07/15/15 04:56 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: Jedi Master]  
Zoomie13 Offline
Zoomie13  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
This is not meant to be a mirror image to ED's site, where any positive talk is subject to being thread-bombed by complaints since ED's site is all just lollipops and rainbows where a negative comment gets dealt with harshly.

There is a difference between making a point and belaboring it, yet it seems like many people are incapable of making that distinction. It takes ONE post to make a point. If you think it takes more, you have issues. To repeat it multiple times in a thread is, in a word, tasteless. To repeat the point in multiple threads that are at best peripherally related daily just to give yourself the chance to state it again and again is tacky and uncouth under the best of circumstances, but is likely far worse.

If you honestly fear that if you don't make your point multiple times per threads, in multiple threads, that people will miss it or forget it, you have serious self-esteem problems. If you say it once, and no one comments, then repeating it won't make them finally see it and agree with you because in all likelihood they disagreed, but it will likely piss them off. What possible benefit is it to piss off other people who don't see it in the same light as you? Do you actually believe you're going to change anyone's mind?? rofl

The Jedi Master

Good post, Jedi! thumbsup

#4146965 - 07/15/15 05:00 PM Re: DCS World 2 Preview - WW2 Air Combat [Re: beagleboy03]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Just for the record, next sunday stream is supopsed to be done on the old map, with some quick mission run on both new and old rendered to show the differences.

According to the latest info (If I'm not mistaken), the old map will retain old 3D mesh and objects count, but will have a bit of texture overhaul (courtesy of Mustang's modding workshop). So the main difference is going to be lighting and shading. We haven't seen much of the Caucasus in EDGE, so I'm looking forward to checking this stream out.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.