Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
#4118033 - 05/08/15 08:41 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Yeah, always a bit sad that SF2 dropped MP. Would have brought a lot of fun to the game, especially given that the AI wingmen often leave a lot to be desired.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4146566 - 07/14/15 07:58 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

http://www.leatherneck-sim.com/f14/

Shame about late 2015 being out of the question, but that was pointed out as liable to change and being the most advanced module to date, understandable.

#4146571 - 07/14/15 08:09 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: scrim]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Originally Posted By: scrim
http://www.leatherneck-sim.com/f14/

Shame about late 2015 being out of the question, but that was pointed out as liable to change and being the most advanced module to date, understandable.

There goes my plans for an F-14 Birth-mas present to my self sigh

Oh well, Leatherneck can take as much time as they feel necessary. I want properly done Tomcat more than a quickly done Tomcat.

Also the site looks awesome, props to the web developer.

Off to greener pastures
#4146577 - 07/14/15 08:19 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

My estimate of late 2016 is sure looking good. When you consider they were supposed to just announce new projects in Feb and here we are in mid july and they still haven't announced them, I will actually be shocked if we see the F-14 in 2016. Funny part is, the F-14 website is actually 2 months late.

Last edited by Mustang60348; 07/14/15 08:20 PM.
#4146587 - 07/14/15 08:26 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Couldn't help notice this description.

"The F-14 will built upon our proprietary component based flight modeling system. The aircraft will be split into hundreds of individual components, each with their own aerodynamic properties. This will allow us to simulate the forces acting upon the aircraft at any given flight regime or aircraft configuration."

TLDR: Blade Element Theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_element_theory

These guys make me laugh out loud sometimes.

"This allows us to produce content faster under the careful guidance of core Leatherneck members"

Really producing content faster, months late on announcement for new projects, months late on a freaking website. Jeez, what content exactly are they producing faster.

I remember they announced with great pride how they had new processes in place that would allow them to get the F-14 out this year, now they are saying Internal Beta in the first half of next year but expect that to change radically, re: we aren't going to make it in 2016

Last edited by Mustang60348; 07/14/15 08:31 PM.
#4146594 - 07/14/15 08:37 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Mustang60348]  
Tyco Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker
Tyco  Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker

Westerly
Originally Posted By: Mustang60348
Couldn't help notice this description.

"The F-14 will built upon our proprietary component based flight modeling system. The aircraft will be split into hundreds of individual components, each with their own aerodynamic properties. This will allow us to simulate the forces acting upon the aircraft at any given flight regime or aircraft configuration."

TLDR: Blade Element Theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_element_theory

Perhaps a DCS A-6 in our future?

#4146612 - 07/14/15 09:08 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Mustang60348]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

"This allows us to produce content faster under the careful guidance of core Leatherneck members"

Really producing content faster, months late on announcement for new projects, months late on a freaking website. Jeez, what content exactly are they producing faster.

I remember they announced with great pride how they had new processes in place that would allow them to get the F-14 out this year, now they are saying Internal Beta in the first half of next year but expect that to change radically, re: we aren't going to make it in 2016

Will you come off it?

They never said the other two aircraft would be announced in February, they have repeatedly said they would be announced in August

They said they hoped to have the beta out by the end of the year. Nothing there about promises or full releases. If you have even passing experience with any sort of software development, you'd understand that early estimates are almost universally inaccurate, and generally erring on the side of over-optimism. You can never account for all the problems you will face, and those problems take time to fix, which delay the project.

The website is late, who. cares.. Seriously. DCS modules aren't coded in JS, PHP, or HTML, they are written in C++ and lua. I cannot think of a single part of the module that would be roadblocked because the web developer was working on the website. The website is not an indicator of anything other than the speed at which Leatherneck can produce websites. I don't know about you, but I'm much more interested in flying F-14s than critiquing the speed and quality which with Leatherneck can deliver a product page (fwiw the page looks nice).

Off to greener pastures
#4146618 - 07/14/15 09:16 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Mustang was a big critic of Leatherneck during the Mig-21 development, too.

#4146634 - 07/14/15 09:54 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

As a matter of fact all the cool guys now hate DCS and its modules no matter what so... He's very cool.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4146660 - 07/14/15 10:48 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
scrim Offline
scrim  Offline

But I wanna be kewl 2. Does my post constitute enough hate and/or obtuseness for me to be admitted to the kewl club?

On topic: I'd love an A-6, an MP old school attack plane with advanced manual technology would be absolutely amazing. Configuring weapons, navigating and peering down the ground radar scope with my mate flying low through the mountain valleys at night would be insanely amazing, even without the carrier aspect. But since the MP crewing seems to be a challenging task, and from the F-14 website coming online it appears they're waiting for ED to finish that, so I doubt they'll be releasing a module featuring that before the Tomcat. I'm more inclined to believe the Viggen rumors. The 3rd gen fighter with somewhat simpler systems than the Tomcat would make sense considering the development strategy they've outlined.

#4146674 - 07/14/15 11:20 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: near_blind]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: near_blind

Will you come off it?

They never said the other two aircraft would be announced in February, they have repeatedly said they would be announced in August

They said they hoped to have the beta out by the end of the year. Nothing there about promises or full releases. If you have even passing experience with any sort of software development, you'd understand that early estimates are almost universally inaccurate, and generally erring on the side of over-optimism. You can never account for all the problems you will face, and those problems take time to fix, which delay the project.

The website is late, who. cares.. Seriously. DCS modules aren't coded in JS, PHP, or HTML, they are written in C++ and lua. I cannot think of a single part of the module that would be roadblocked because the web developer was working on the website. The website is not an indicator of anything other than the speed at which Leatherneck can produce websites. I don't know about you, but I'm much more interested in flying F-14s than critiquing the speed and quality which with Leatherneck can deliver a product page (fwiw the page looks nice).

This is from the Feb/Mar Update

Currently, we hope to release two aircraft during the course of 2015. As usual, everything is subject to change, but as we become more experienced, we are able to better gauge our progress and remaining workload.
The aforementioned project management and structure changes play a part in this as well. All indications point to two Leatherneck releases this year.
I do not think you will be disappointed in the aircraft on offer.

That just leaves the elephant in the room.

The answer is Monday.

"We will announce one of our new, advanced modules on Monday. Apologies to those of you who have spent half the night up mashing your F5 key, but we need the extra day to facilitate the creation of our announcement materials.
For those of you with sharpened pitchforks; there are free sausages in the fridge and I see you've already started a sizeable fire. Just grab a seat until Monday."

I will fully ack I was wrong, it was March 2nd that the announcement was supposed to be made.

so, now YOU COME OFF IT.

Last edited by Mustang60348; 07/14/15 11:28 PM.
#4146677 - 07/14/15 11:23 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Vitesse]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: Vitesse
Mustang was a big critic of Leatherneck during the Mig-21 development, too.

Perhaps because the thing was two years late from the initial annoucement, then the second announcement of "guarenteed Mar release" was also roughtly 8 months late.

#4146678 - 07/14/15 11:24 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: komemiute]  
Mustang60348 Offline
Mustang60348  Offline

Originally Posted By: komemiute
As a matter of fact all the cool guys now hate DCS and its modules no matter what so... He's very cool.

I don't hate either DCS or it's modules. It's devs, well that a whole other story.

#4146727 - 07/15/15 02:09 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Mustang60348]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Originally Posted By: near_blind

Will you come off it?

The answer is Monday.

"We will announce one of our new, advanced modules on Monday.

... and?

That was March 1st. March 3rd they announced the F-14. In further updates they also specified that the other two aircraft would be announced later, later became august, and to the best of my recollection the F-14 was not one of the aircraft to be fully released this year, although I could be wrong about that last one.

What am I missing here?

and yes. The amount to which I would fly an A-6 is so obscene that it is not fit for public knowledge, but rest assure it is a bunch.

Off to greener pastures
#4146810 - 07/15/15 11:17 AM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Quote:
What am I missing here?

that the announcement, as drafted and released, led us to believe that release was of the F-14 imminent and that all the needed code was in place to develop the product, the screenshots attached to the release further impressed on us the fact that this was a product nearly finished.

One can't be blamed for feeling disappointed and posting about it.

personally, I am not disappointed as I don't expect anything to be released any time soon that has "DCS-" in the title. I learned my lesson after the Hormuz map :

http://www.lockonfiles.com/topic/39963-dcsw-new-map-revealed/

#4146872 - 07/15/15 01:36 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
TBH, I kind of wish they'd cut some corners and, in the process, cut a year off the development time. I mean, at the end of the day this is a video game. Sometimes close enough to the real thing is really close enough.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#4146917 - 07/15/15 03:18 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: SkateZilla]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
And I say that no, 530 angels can dance on the head of a pin!!!! cuss

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4146925 - 07/15/15 03:42 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
Quote:
What am I missing here?

that the announcement, as drafted and released, led us to believe that release was of the F-14 imminent and that all the needed code was in place to develop the product, the screenshots attached to the release further impressed on us the fact that this was a product nearly finished.

If people are getting nearly finished from a few paragraphs and some renders of an unfinished, untextured external model, then:

1) It's suddenly clear where all of these unrealistic expectations are coming from.
2) You might be interested in some ocean adjacent property I've got for sale in Arizona. Act now! prices are low and sales are hot! hot! hot!

Quote:

No, one can't be blamed for feeling disappointed. However, one can be blamed making a series of false accusations.

Off to greener pastures
#4146987 - 07/15/15 06:09 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
boomerang10 Offline
boomerang10  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
Quote:
What am I missing here?

personally, I am not disappointed as I don't expect anything to be released any time soon that has "DCS-" in the title. I learned my lesson after the Hormuz map :

http://www.lockonfiles.com/topic/39963-dcsw-new-map-revealed/

They only ever said that F-14 was expected to be released in beta in 2015 whereas the two yet unannounced modules were further along in development and are slated for 2015 release.

[quote]
Originally Posted By: Cobra847
"Currently we hope to complete development and enter BETA testing on the first version of the F-14 by the end of 2015. Subject to significant change."

Important parts bolded.

I'm pretty confident in making this estimate, otherwise I wouldn't have written it. That said, the wording is careful for a reason. The F-14, especially our take on it, is an incredibly complex and massive project.
I don't want to fill that special place in hell reserved for bad renditions of the Cat.

Regardless, we have two aircraft slated for release this year, of which one is modern.
Both are significantly further along.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4090483/Re:_2015_Updated_list_of_confi#Post4090483

#4146990 - 07/15/15 06:20 PM Re: DCS: F-14A/A+/B By Leatherneck Simulations [Re: boomerang10]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted By: boomerang10

They only ever said that F-14 was expected to be released in beta in 2015 whereas the two yet unannounced modules were further along in development and are slated for 2015 release.

2015 ends December 31st, so they might still make it.

or not.

Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.