Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4144054 - 07/08/15 08:10 AM Is it possible with the current engine to...  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

.. improve the visual damage model of the planes? For example to have bullets shatter the canvas to have visual struts ? Like you get from collisions currently but to have from bullets?

#4144066 - 07/08/15 08:58 AM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: JimBobb]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Maybe, who knows what the future holds we just need support.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4144149 - 07/08/15 01:36 PM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: Polovski]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Polovski
Maybe, who knows what the future holds we just need support.

With the full understanding that nothing is guaranteed and that my little contribution certainly doesn't cover the man hours to make this happen, I just dropped a few extra $$ into the Donate bucket in hopes of greasing the wheels a little to help make this happen. Even if it doesn't happen, WOFF is so well supported by you guys with patches that I consider it money well spent. Seriously, thank you for all that you guys do.

For me personally (and everyone has their preferences and priorities, so I'm not suggesting mine particularly matter in the grand scheme of things), better visual cues for damage done to aircraft by bullets would be the biggest thing remaining that would add yet more immersion to WOFF combat.

For example, if after the lower wings took 50% or 75% damage from bullets (or whatever threshold you guys determined was appropriate, they looked like the pic below instead of the black dots, would be amazing.

1. It would be awesome to see such battle damaged planes flying around. It would add that "Holy crap, what kind of fight was he just in?!?" factor.

2. It would put some real fear into the players if that was their own wings, making them think hard about cutting out of the fight and heading home.

3. You would be less surprised if the wings totally failed and came off an opponent because clearly the wing structure would appear to have been weakened and so emotionally, seeing them fail becomes a much more acceptable outcome. You had some visual warning that it might happen.

Odd as it may sound, I think it would add even more fear and excitement (depending on who's wings / planes were shot up like that) to the players experience. At the end of the day, I think WOFF is about the emotion it creates within you. The awe from beauty of the clouds, scenery and lighting. The shock of being "bounced". The Thrill of winning a hard fought dogfight. The frustration of having your claim denied. That's what sets WOFF apart from everything else on the market and I think enhancing the fear of actual combat by seeing that kind of damage occurring to your plane would only make things even more immersive.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4144345 - 07/08/15 09:49 PM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Hellshade what's the pic? That's awesome!

#4144391 - 07/09/15 12:50 AM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: JimBobb]  
rockmedic109 Offline
rockmedic109  Offline

California
It looks like a Nieuport after a shallow dive. smile2

#4144426 - 07/09/15 03:41 AM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: JimBobb]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
It hooked a U-Boot ?

We will remember them.
#4144548 - 07/09/15 02:39 PM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: JimBobb]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks Hellshade. Jimbob the pic is from WOFF... when you break a wing tip or something you will see such damage.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4144560 - 07/09/15 03:02 PM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: JimBobb]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
I just thought of another effect such visual feedback of damage caused by bullets might have.

When you are swirling around in a dogfight and you see one of your squadron mates being chased, you often have to decide if you are going to abandon the enemy you might be chasing in order to try to save your wingman.

Right now, there is very little to tell you how damaged their plane might be, except maybe for trails of smoke (yay!!!) or possible hard to see black dots. However if you looked over and saw that their plane was all torn up like in the pic above, you would know just how in trouble they really were. It might change your mind about if you need to break off your current engagement in order to save them. There would be a very emotional "Oh crap!! Billy's going to die if someone doesn't help him right now!" feeling. I think that would also greatly add to the thrill and emotion of combat in WOFF, IMHO. It would just keep adding layers to that great emotional depth that WOFF has.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4145787 - 07/12/15 09:09 PM Re: Is it possible with the current engine to... [Re: JimBobb]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Would love to see damage on Hellshades pic be made by bullets.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM