Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4141572 - 07/01/15 02:55 AM Whether Weather is too bad to fly...  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
I started a RFC pilot in Jan of 1915 in Sqd 3 based in Chocques [aka Chockers] to see how different it was flying a Morane L instead of a BE2c. I wanted about the same time period as my RNAS pilot. The first mission was a bombing run on Haubourdin airfield. I wanted to practice formation flying.

What I didn't count on was the weather. It was dark and lots of grey, heavy clouds when I took off around 0820 but there was no precipitation. That ended quick. At about 1000 feet it started to snow/rain [hard to tell the difference but in Jan. it is probably snow]. Gusty winds made formation practice a non-starter. I flew most of the mission on autopilot. I actually misjudged when we got to the target and the autopilot did a good job of bombing [didn't hit the airfield but did hit some unit close by according to the debrief].

From my reading, I know there were many days during WW1 where flight operations were cancelled due to bad weather. Does WOFF take this into account and scrub a mission? I was really surprised we did not turn back. The flight leader must have been real gung-ho. Below is an idea of the the weather in the mission.

Regards,
Ben Cason
"I shall endeavor to persevere" - Chief Dan George in "Outlaw Josey Wales"

#4141576 - 07/01/15 03:00 AM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Yep, missions get scrubbed in WOFF. I don't know how the game calculates that, but I've had a whole week get scrubbed in a previous campaign.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4141577 - 07/01/15 03:00 AM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Yes, some days you will get a message saying that all flights were cancelled due to weather and it will advance to the next day! thumbsup

*edit: ninja'd by Banjoman by 13 seconds!

Last edited by Rick_Rawlings; 07/01/15 03:02 AM.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4141584 - 07/01/15 03:33 AM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama
I run into that kind of weather every second or third mission flying my guy with 3 Sqdn in Feb/March 1915. It's very...bouncy in a Morane in that weather, much more than in a BE2. And each time I ask myself how lousy the weather has to get before they'll cancel the flight.

I don't know how WoFF decides it's time to cancel flights for the day - using historical weather, it's possible that cancelled days
are just baked into the data, or maybe when the weather is bad, it will randomly throw in a cancel.

However they do it, it adds that extra touch of excitement to the flight. Combine that with the engine failures and other malfunctions, and it's a real treat to land safely at Chockers after the mission.

#4141630 - 07/01/15 08:23 AM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
If you look and understand the weather files (Historical), there are certain days that are predetermined (Historically) that you can not fly because the weather is to bad. If you use the AI generated weather, it may be random as to which days are unflyable.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4141686 - 07/01/15 01:12 PM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: Panama Red]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: Panama Red
If you look and understand the weather files (Historical), there are certain days that are predetermined (Historically) that you can not fly because the weather is to bad. If you use the AI generated weather, it may be random as to which days are unflyable.

When I get back in-game, I will check my weather setting in the Workshop. From what you say, and others, the "non-flyable" days will be skipped if I am using historical but if I am using random, the non-flyable weather is not recognized and it is every man for himself.

If it is pouring rain or snow, can I just not take off and wait for the gung-ho AI flight members to return [making liberal use of 16x while I sit on the airfield]?

In those circumstances, what happens if I just Ctrl + Q?

I don't remember seeing any kind of "abort mission" button on the screen other than Ctrl + Q biggrin

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4141690 - 07/01/15 01:17 PM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: Kuroken]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: Kuroken
~snip~

However they do it, it adds that extra touch of excitement to the flight. Combine that with the engine failures and other malfunctions, and it's a real treat to land safely at Chockers after the mission.

Most of my time has been flying the BE2c. It has been pretty reliable [ engine trouble set to historical] so far. Is the Morane less reliable, historically?

Regards,
Ben Cason

#4141697 - 07/01/15 01:22 PM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I'm finding the Morane to be more reliable in my '15 DID campaign than the BE.2c, but I haven't flown as many missions in the Morane yet, so that might change. One of the cool things about WOFF is that everybody's experience is different, so I might not have any problems while you have nothing but problems.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4141699 - 07/01/15 01:23 PM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

BK,
If you Control Q right after the mission starts, nothing happens to your flight but you may get a scolding from your CO. Historically they did fly in some pretty nasty weather.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4141716 - 07/01/15 02:35 PM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
If you want some real nasty weather challenges, may I personally recommend my JSGME friendly mod "Hellshade's Turbulent Skies", which adds 3MPH winds to every weather type, making things a bit more difficult to fly and fight in. I have been running it for some time now and haven't had any issues with flights keeping formations, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/em9umjx6tie5pp4/WOFF%20Hellshades%20Turbulant%20Skies.zip?dl=0

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4141799 - 07/01/15 05:24 PM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Cavaliere57 Offline
Cavaliere57  Offline

Tuscany coast,Italy
Originally Posted By: BKCason
Originally Posted By: Panama Red

When I get back in-game, I will check my weather setting in the Workshop. From what you say, and others, the "non-flyable" days will be skipped if I am using historical but if I am using random, the non-flyable weather is not recognized and it is every man for himself.

If it is pouring rain or snow, can I just not take off and wait for the gung-ho AI flight members to return [making liberal use of 16x while I sit on the airfield]?

In those circumstances, what happens if I just Ctrl + Q?

I don't remember seeing any kind of "abort mission" button on the screen other than Ctrl + Q biggrin

Eh..eh... yes sometimes you are grounded by weather,and sometimes you have to fly a mission in Impossible weather,dark like hell,raining all the time,sight near to none...in Winter 1916 December,with a Pup,had to fly at less than 500 meters or I could not even tell If I was flying level or what...and being that low I spotted a lone Alby DII,an HA flying astray bit higher than me against the clouds background.That weather allowed me to creep to his 6 from below and at less than 50 metres I shot it in pieces,good show...but the landing was a nightmare anyway. charge

" In vino veritas "
#4141801 - 07/01/15 05:35 PM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
Kuroken Offline
Kuroken  Offline

Alabama
Originally Posted By: BKCason
Most of my time has been flying the BE2c. It has been pretty reliable [ engine trouble set to historical] so far. Is the Morane less reliable, historically?

Can't speak to history, just the 100 or so missions I've flown in the Morane in a previous campaign and more recently in the '15 DiD campaign. In a month, Ambrose has had six failures in 55 missions, three in a row with three missions, five of them requiring him to put down somewhere other than Chockers (the sixth, for today, the engine started acting up while he was going into his landing pattern. I rode it out, keeping an eye on the ground for good spots to put down if things went totally south with the engine - but it kept on chugging till I was on the field). So that's more than 10% failures.

With the BE2 Alvin was flying, I had three failures in roughly the same number of missions, one on the ground before he took off, one when he was seconds from landing, and the last while in his landing pattern, which required a controlled crash landing that totaled the plane but left him and the observer unharmed. Almost everyone else in 1 RNAS has been flying Moranes, and with the past 10-12 missions, five of them have gone down and killed the crew (including two that I didn't see that happened while Alvin was loafing in Calais...). And almost every other mission, somebody in a Morane breaks off because of mechanical problems.

So my own sense is that the Morane is death just waiting to strike. However, as BJM says, everyone's experience is different, and he hasn't seen those heavy failures in his 1 RNAS campaign.

I'm just always ready to find a survivable landing spot when one of my pilots goes up in a Morane.

#4141967 - 07/02/15 12:23 AM Re: Whether Weather is too bad to fly... [Re: BKCason]  
BKCason Offline
BKCason  Offline

Maryland, USA
I checked my weather setting and saw it was on historical. Headquarters must think highly of RFC-3 pilots to send us out in the kind of weather seen on Jan 1.

Jan 2 was totally different day! Artillery Spotting mission to Frontlinie Abschnitt FF578. Bright, clear, light winds at 0800:

I got in some good practice at formation flying... I still suck though biggrin

Regards,
Ben Cason

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again