Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4142642 - 07/03/15 08:24 PM Re: DIII Early, Late, etc [Re: Polovski]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: Polovski
Mudwasp not sure what you mean easy is old normal? I don't remember us making claims "harder" ?

NP Duke,
Nietzsche, if we can allow OAWs in 1918 we will.

Oh, There is a box now with an "X" for player on EA shot down.
That wasn't there a few upgrades/patches ago...I'm thinking 2.04...

#4142646 - 07/03/15 08:32 PM Re: DIII Early, Late, etc [Re: Raine]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Originally Posted By: Raine
I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a check box for automatic confirmation on the claim screen. Obviously it would be an honour thing, but the idea would be to allow the player to override the normal confirmation procedure for the extremely obvious cases, such as where the EA falls on your own friendly field and you're the only friendly that shot at him.

Try "easiest" . Seems to auto log last I knew and no form to fill out.
Drawback is they are just labeled/described as enemy craft or some such thing...at least last time I tried it when out in a Bristol Scout, early war as a high ranker, never had any one to fly with...no witness...

Now I looked up 'Can I get a Witness' by Marvin Gaye and am jamming to it...

Last edited by MudWasp; 07/03/15 08:40 PM.
#4147097 - 07/15/15 11:51 PM Re: DIII Early, Late, etc [Re: Deacon211]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Hey, just a little update.

Shot down a DIII today and claimed it as a DIII Early. Playing the intermediate setting, so the after action said I did indeed get a kill.

Couldn't remember the radiator placement, so I just went with what I had been seeing in the time period, summer 1917.

Just looked it up and radiator was to the right, so I guess it was a DIII, not Early.

Claim was rejected though I had selected a flight member nearby. So, I'm not certain that an incorrect ID doesn't have an effect.

I don't mind having the occasional rejected claim, though I saw this one dead to rights go down as a flamer. But just wanted to add to the data on the subject.

Deacon

#4147106 - 07/16/15 12:13 AM Re: DIII Early, Late, etc [Re: Deacon211]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Hey, it could have also been a DIII OAW with the radiator just right of center on top wing. They are some out in the summer of 1917.

Sitting in the cockpit I can tell a DIII from a DIII OAW.
Don't think I could tell them apart flying against them in a DF, or even pulling up next to one if flying for the same side.

#4147340 - 07/16/15 04:33 PM Re: DIII Early, Late, etc [Re: Deacon211]  
MeneMene Offline
MeneMene  Offline

Originally Posted By: Deacon211
Hey, just a little update.

Shot down a DIII today and claimed it as a DIII Early. Playing the intermediate setting, so the after action said I did indeed get a kill.

Couldn't remember the radiator placement, so I just went with what I had been seeing in the time period, summer 1917.

Just looked it up and radiator was to the right, so I guess it was a DIII, not Early.

Claim was rejected though I had selected a flight member nearby. So, I'm not certain that an incorrect ID doesn't have an effect.

I don't mind having the occasional rejected claim, though I saw this one dead to rights go down as a flamer. But just wanted to add to the data on the subject.

Deacon

I've never really understood why WOFF wants you to be so specific when claiming aircraft. In the heat of the moment during combat there's no way you'd be able or interested in telling a DIII early/DIII/DIII OAW/DV apart, and knowing the details of the radiator placement wouldn't be very high on the list of priorities. There's a reason most kill reports just said "Albatross" or "scout"; if the claims system really has a higher chance of rejection because you called something a DIII rather than a DIII OAW that doesn't make much sense at all.

#4147349 - 07/16/15 04:56 PM Re: DIII Early, Late, etc [Re: Deacon211]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

I've actually tested the system by making vague claims about the type of aircraft that I shot down, sometimes choosing the wrong type on purpose (ie. a Nupe 11 even though I knew I shot down a Nupe 17) and I've got those claims confirmed (or denied) just like any other. So I don't think it's extremely important to correctly identify the aircraft.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4147383 - 07/16/15 06:31 PM Re: DIII Early, Late, etc [Re: Hasse]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Originally Posted By: Hasse
I've actually tested the system by making vague claims about the type of aircraft that I shot down, sometimes choosing the wrong type on purpose (ie. a Nupe 11 even though I knew I shot down a Nupe 17) and I've got those claims confirmed (or denied) just like any other. So I don't think it's extremely important to correctly identify the aircraft.

And that may be. Without spoiling the fun by seeing the man behind the curtain, it would be interesting to know if having the correct type had anything to do with the verifiability of the claim.

I don't think it quite so much gaming the system as understanding the abstractions necessary for a computer to replicate a complex real life process....mostly generated by those head scratching times when you "pull a Stachel" and drop a Strutter into Herr Oberst's schnitzel and get the claim denied anyway. wink

So, the jury is still out on this one. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse