Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Yep, mountaineering time again!

charge

She_who_must_be_obeyed
asked for her birthday to be celebrated on a mountain peak. I was happy to oblige and so we set out for the the Sella massif in the Dolomite Alps in South Tyrol, early morning on Saturday. 6 hours later we arrived at Corvara (1.500m) where we parked our car. The objective for the day was the Kostner refuge at 2.550m. The route leading to the hut was very steep and tiring so we were quite happy when we finally got there.

The Rifugio Kostner is a lovely small hut with only some 25 beads. We got a cozy room with two real beds, including chocolate on the pillows and hot-water bottles in heart-shaped cotton bags. Besides the two of us there were another dozen guests, a grandmother with her family, three generations celebrating her birthday! Suffice to say that we had a great evening since we immediately got invited to the festivities.

Evening view from the hut towards the Kreuzkofelgruppe.

Early next morning we set out for the Piz Lech, or Bo Seekofel (2.910m). Since we left most of our luggage at the hut we climbed up quickly. The route offered a couple of easy climbing passages but for the most part it was just a steep track.

We reached the summit after about 1.5 hrs, enjoyed a little snack and a fantastic view.

We climbed back to the hut, picked up all our stuff and set out for the real objective of the day: Piz Bo (3.152m).

The Piz Bo is considered an "easy" 3.000 m summit because you can use a cable car to get up to 2.900m. We used a different route, the far more scenic "Lichtenfelser Weg" which includes a couple of easy fixed-rope route passages and offers the big advantage of not having to deal with large numbers of "tourists". wink

Slightly out of breath (ahem...) we reached the summit at about 3 PM. In the background the Marmolata can be (barely) seen, the "Queen of the Dolomites).

View towards the Sella plateau:

The Bo refuge (2.873m) with the Piz Bo in the background.

The evening/night in the hut was a blast. We met a group from Australia (all in their 60s!), two New Zealanders, another German couple and an Indian-Dutch couple living in Scotland, talk about diversity! Between the dozen of us and the landlady and her husband we celebrated my GF's birthday well past the usual Httenruhe at 10 PM.

After a night that was a little bit too short and a breakfast with a couple of bleary-eyed new friends we set out again at around 7.30 AM after many heartfelt goodbyes.

View down the Val de Mezdi and towards the Sas Sassongher.

The route rose through the Sella plateau to the Zwischenkogel, from then we started our way down towards Corvara. The Pisciad lake and refuge (2.585m).

We climbed down into the Val de Mezdi with some steep passages secured by steel cables and artificial steps. Then we just followed a steep track down the valley.

We reached our car by about 1 PM, concluding a fantastic tour.

I'm already looking forward to the next tour in this absolutely beautiful region!

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4141218 - 06/30/15 10:04 AM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Sdtirol! Most beautiful mountain region, ever. That's why they shot most of "Cliffhanger" there (around Cortina).

And great pics! I especially love that part of Sdtirol, and am dying to go there again this year. Trentino last year in August was a huge letdown due to the weather. Well, when the locals shrug when you talk to them, just saying "Agosto....", you know you've come at the wrong time of year. smile

Did you bring a Klettersteigset for the Boseekofel? Or is it manageable without one?

Piz Bo is a classic, and good for you guys to have taken the "honest" route up. wink

BTW, a nice and easy one-day hike is from Sellajoch along the Friedrich-August-Weg to Plattkofel. The Refugio Sandro Pertini and the Plattkofelhtte are nice spots for taking a break, before the final 1000 "Hhenmeter" straight up to the summit.

An alternative would be the Klettersteig from the Langkofelscharte.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4141223 - 06/30/15 10:34 AM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Excellent pics as always Para.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4141243 - 06/30/15 11:38 AM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Thanks guys.

smile

@ Jayhakw: no, this time we didn't bring Klettersteigsets, you really don't need them for the routes we did. The pic with the metal steps just shows the most dramatic part of the route. wink

Plattkofel is already on my list for future trips, most probably this year in September. Then I want to do the Pisciad Klettersteig, too. And yeah, Sdtirol is an alpinist's dream.

Last year's summer season must have been pretty bad. Both landlords of the Kostner and Bo refuges told us how they spent weeks with barely any guests, daily rains and zero visibility. The lady of the Bo hut pointed through a window at a 2m tall signpost outside the hut and said "Last year at that time the snow was still up to the top of the signs..."

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#4141508 - 06/30/15 09:14 PM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
Thanks again for the desktop o' the week smile

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2015/06/full-585-105194-sella011.jpg

it replaces a picture of yours from the May hike (which is now in rotation and will be seen again soon)

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2015/05/full-585-102655-l13.jpg

I do think all of the hike pictures threads should finish with an end of day Biergarten picture cheers

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4141513 - 06/30/15 09:38 PM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Love seeing your mountain adventure pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4141546 - 06/30/15 11:27 PM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
My week-long hiking in Berchtesgaden is still alive in my memory from almost 40 years ago. Beautiful pics! I hope you two have many more great trips in those awesome mountains! smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4141559 - 07/01/15 01:32 AM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Smokin_Hole Offline
Smokin_Hole  Offline

She-who-must-be-obeyed was an awesome catch!

#4141836 - 07/01/15 06:55 PM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Thanks guys. And yes, I consider myself a very lucky man to have a GF that shares my passion for the mountains.

And who hates shopping.

biggrin

#4141844 - 07/01/15 07:25 PM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Thanks guys. And yes, I consider myself a very lucky man to have a GF that shares my passion for the mountains.

And who hates shopping.

biggrin
If she's also a PC gamer then you are officially the luckiest man on Earth.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4142031 - 07/02/15 07:50 AM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomfhrer
Hotshot

Germany
Ha! No, she's not really into computer games. It would be starting to get scary if she was.

#4142147 - 07/02/15 02:20 PM Re: It's that time of the year again... Vol XIV [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
what beautiful country, those pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing them

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.