Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4135266 - 06/17/15 11:45 AM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: cdelucia]  
trindade Offline
Mach2 Club
trindade  Offline
Mach2 Club

Portugal
Originally Posted By: cdelucia
I can hear VEAO's response now: ". . . specifically stated product is in BETA state."

Which is true.

Originally Posted By: cdelucia

Which brings me to my next point: perma-beta . . .

THIS is the big problem! ED should give a deadline to 3rd party devs to finish a product. But ED himself does not give the best example as we all know...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4135339 - 06/17/15 01:41 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

FYI, VEAO just announced that all Hawk purchases will be upgraded to the EFM free of charge, and people who purchased the EFM in advance will receive a $10 coupon for a future product.

Now there's no issues of upgrading Steam versions, feelings of bait and switch, etc.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4135368 - 06/17/15 02:12 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes, the eternal beta is a big problem with BSTs modules.

As I said, some of ED's stuff is better than others, so while the MiG 21 is great, it's not quite Ka-50/A-10C. It's still a lot better than some of ED's other stuff that hasn't quite lived up to its potential yet...like Combined Arms.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4135405 - 06/17/15 02:47 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: SUBS_17]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: SUBS_17

Just a few things to mention the VEAO Hawk has 2 versions the first one is EFM the 2nd has PFM.

That is just plain incorrect. The first one is SFM (Simple Flight Model), to follow is an EFM (External Flight Model) to PFM (Professional Flight Model) standards.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4135515 - 06/17/15 05:07 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Jedi Master]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

As I said, some of ED's stuff is better than others, so while the MiG 21 is great, it's not quite Ka-50/A-10C. It's still a lot better than some of ED's other stuff that hasn't quite lived up to its potential yet...like Combined Arms.

The Jedi Master

True, can't find it now, but iirc I think when asked what's next after the MiG-15 the answer was basically, finishing what they had already released.

I find the reviews here about the Hawk a bit discouraging, think I'm going to wait a bit on the P-40 once it is released even though I am really looking forward to it.

#4135551 - 06/17/15 05:38 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If BST is going to finish up all their existing released modules, that gets a big thumbsup from me.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4135568 - 06/17/15 05:51 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Jedi Master]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: cichlidfan

Just a few things to mention the VEAO Hawk has 2 versions the first one is EFM the 2nd has PFM.

That is just plain incorrect. The first one is SFM (Simple Flight Model), to follow is an EFM (External Flight Model) to PFM (Professional Flight Model) standards.

So the EFM is different from the PFM? I thought it was the same thing. Nice that they're including it in previous sales though.

The Jedi Master

In particular complaints? From what I have seen it seems to be just as good as the ED Modules. I don't recall if the tutorials had voice overs, but they worked well enough for me.

Not sure what can be done, but ED does need to ensure some more quality control when it comes to betas.

#4135583 - 06/17/15 06:09 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Simple. The Ka-50 and A-10C, in addition to totally simulating the aircraft, came with a terrain and dozens of ground objects, ships, and non-flyable aircraft with working airfields to use.

In subsequent modules, ED already had that stuff and were just making a plane. For the first two, though, they had to create the entire world that the aircraft lived in as well.

Now, if the MiG-21 had included a late Vietnam-era terrain in the Middle East or Asia with period-specific units and non-flyable AI aircraft, THEN it would've been equal to the A-10C and Ka-50. Naturally they were not capable of doing that, because of ED's own internal delays on EDGE if nothing else, but it did mean less work.

You may be separating those two from the total packages, but that is minimizing the work ED actually put into those until DCS World itself was released.

The Jedi Master

#4135627 - 06/17/15 07:23 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Jedi Master]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
If BST is going to finish up all their existing released modules, that gets a big thumbsup from me.

The Jedi Master

They merged some threads so I can't find exactly what I was looking for but did find this part of it.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2362120&postcount=27

I personally don't have much issue with the BST modules, the F86 and MiG-15 seemed to be pretty complete as far as the actual plane part goes, only really noticed the lacking bits in manuals, missions, that kind of thing. I don't have the MI-8 and haven't touched the Huey yet so can't comment there. But actually I've been pretty pleased with everything I got at the start. Having things get finished though would be great, although nothing is ever really finished anymore though.

Last edited by Mudcat; 06/17/15 07:31 PM.
#4135633 - 06/17/15 07:30 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Don't know about the Sabre, but recent updates in their "Mi-8 news" thread clearly show the Hip has been getting some devs attention again. Releasing full manual for MiG-15 was a very nice surprise as well.

#4135709 - 06/17/15 10:50 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: cichlidfan]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

Originally Posted By: cichlidfan

I did mention below that typo:
Just a few things to mention the VEAO Hawk has 2 versions the first one is EFM the 2nd has PFM. The other thing is you should be able to map your view commands in the setup for DCS. VEAOs plans are to setup a realistic pilot training program with real Hawk pilots involved in setting up this course:

All aircraft will be developed with full ASM and EFM to PFM standards (PFM where we can get them to that level).

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
#4135713 - 06/17/15 11:01 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

Some good news:

Dear All,
I have had lengthy discussions with the VEAO team and ED this morning and we have come to an agreement regarding the confusion over SFM vs EFM and what has been purchased on ED store and Steam.

Any customers that have purchased the "Hawk T.1A for DCS World" from the ED store will automatically receive an upgrade to the External Flight Model (EFM) version at the time of release, free-of-charge.

Any customers that have purchased the "Hawk for DCS World" on Steam will automatically receive an upgrade to the External Flight Model (EFM) version at the time of release, free-of-charge.

Any customers that have purchased the "DCS:Hawk (EFM) Beta (Pre-sale)" on VEAO Simulations website will automatically receive an upgrade to the External Flight Model (EFM) version at the time of release and will also receive a coupon code via email giving them $10 discount on future products in the VEAO DCS: World catalogue.

The coupon will only be valid for customers that have purchased the EFM pre-sale version of Hawk directly from VEAO as they have already paid for the $10 upgrade price from SFM to EFM.

We felt that this was the fairest way to level all products bought.

If you have any further questions please post here or email support@veaosimulations.co.uk

Thanks,
Chris.

Read more: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4135259#ixzz3dMa7cnNC
Follow us: @SimHQ on Twitter | SimHQ on Facebook

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2415691&postcount=1

Silver dragon already posted it but I'll repeat it here as its relevant to this topic.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
#4135748 - 06/18/15 12:08 AM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Seems fair. I bought the EFM/SFM +$10 package back when. I think of it similar to buying something not on sale that subsequently goes on sale, the price of early adoption. I did think at the time that having two products instead of one was cutting the customer base a little too thinly. I wonder how many people bought the SFM version vs. the EFM.

#4135832 - 06/18/15 03:54 AM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Frederf]  
Dondy Offline
Dondy  Offline

Germany
I also think that this is fair from them. Got the EFM Version directly from their side.

Originally Posted By: Frederf
I wonder how many people bought the SFM version vs. the EFM.

I just can't imagine that anyone really only want to have the SFM in ANY DCS plane. Maybe someone who never experienced an airplane with EFM (AFM) before but this person clearly doesn't know what he/she's missing.

In memory of the JaboG34 "Allgäu" Memmingen 1959-2003
Last take-off: 17.12.2002 10:06am

Legends may sleep but they'll never die
#4135838 - 06/18/15 04:29 AM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Chuck_Owl Offline
Chuck_Owl  Offline

Canada
Sweet, I'll use that 10 additional bucks to pre-order the P-40 once it's available on the VEAO store.

#4136167 - 06/18/15 06:51 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Jedi Master]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Simple. The Ka-50 and A-10C, in addition to totally simulating the aircraft, came with a terrain and dozens of ground objects, ships, and non-flyable aircraft with working airfields to use.

In subsequent modules, ED already had that stuff and were just making a plane. For the first two, though, they had to create the entire world that the aircraft lived in as well.

Now, if the MiG-21 had included a late Vietnam-era terrain in the Middle East or Asia with period-specific units and non-flyable AI aircraft, THEN it would've been equal to the A-10C and Ka-50. Naturally they were not capable of doing that, because of ED's own internal delays on EDGE if nothing else, but it did mean less work.

You may be separating those two from the total packages, but that is minimizing the work ED actually put into those until DCS World itself was released.

The Jedi Master

I see what you're saying. Though to be fair, the Bis was in service alongside Su-27s and the other modern equipment in the game. I think it was finally retired in the early 90s. So while out dated, you can argue it does have an appropriate map & assets.

The AI F-5E does look ugly, but it can be considered a counterpart. But some Mirage 3s, SA-2s, SA-3s and other 60s-70s equipment that is more on par with the 21Bis would be ideal.

#4136233 - 06/18/15 08:35 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It may have served, but I think we can agree it was totally outclassed. smile The bis is a 70s plane that could hold its own into the early 80s, but against even F-16As and F-15As I'd think discretion would be the better part of valor and bugging out would be the best idea!

Yes, a flyable F-5E would make a perfect opponent for it, the AI one is a little barebones but I suppose no worse than the AI 15bis for the 86 or the AI D9 for the P-51, until both of those became flyable.

The Jedi Master

#4136238 - 06/18/15 08:43 PM Re: Buyers remose. Last VEAO & probably DCS plane I buy (Hawk) [Re: Flogger23m]  
Ghost0815 Offline
Ghost0815  Offline

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Title says it all. The Hawk was such a disappointment I may never buy another DCS plane again.
[..]

Why did you have buy it in the first place?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.