Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4135280 - 06/17/15 12:14 PM DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding **  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

DCS World 2 Status
Despite our best efforts over the past six months, DCS World 2 has not yet achieved the quality level and features that we require for an open alpha release. Rather than release an alpha version that is potentially a disappointment for many users, we feel it best to keep it in the oven a bit longer to bake it more thoroughly. We fully realize that this is disappointing for some, but I can assure you that it pales in in comparison to our own. No one wishes to release our new baby out into the world more than us.
Some of the biggest remaining items that we need to address before an open alpha include:
New multiplayer GUI system that allows multiple players in the same aircraft and multiple player aircraft in the same flight. This is critical for multi-seat aircraft like the L-39, UH-1H, Hawk, etc.
Completing the move to use of a single executable. This will allow us to do long-desired features such as a satellite view in the Mission Editor, 3D objects in the Encyclopedia and Mission Editor, faster mission loading times, and a more stable product.
With the move to DX11, we are continuing to find ways to increase performance. This is even more important with the coming wave of VR gear that demands extremely high framerates.
We wish to improve several more of the effects before the open alpha. Although we have new smoke, contrails, lighting, shadow, and missile trail effects, there are more we wish to improve like better explosions and over-wing vapor.
Lastly, there are a few remaining crash bugs we need to resolve.
So, although we have been making tremendous progress in developing DCS World 2, there are a few more items that still need to be addressed in order to meet our quality standards. We can only ask for patience because we believe that it will all be worth the wait and DCS World 2 will usher in a new chapter in the world of Digital Combat Simulator.
DCS: Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) Status

While much of the team has been hard at work on getting DCS World 2 ready, our map team and engineers have been busy improving the NTTR map and fixing bugs. While we have made the significant step of moving the map into full testing, there are several important areas that need to be addressed before we can release it as an open alpha to everyone. Some of these items include:
Functional Air Traffic Control
Ground unit road movement
Performance improvements
Static object issues
TACAN and ILS
A couple of crash situations
When the map is available as an open Alpha, our plan is to still make this map available for free to those that purchased A-10C Warthog while it was in beta (prior to 21 February 2011). It will also be available for purchase from our e-shop for $39.99 USD.
DCS WWII

The Spitfire has begun internal testing within DCS World. The Spitfire has progressed past the P-47 due to the level of info in ED's hands for the Spitfire while research continues on the P-47. The model has been added to DCS World internally and testing of the Merlin 66's performance has started; next will be the prop performance. The Spitfire version will be an early production Mark IXc LF with clipped wings. As a possible bonus, it's planned (but subject to change) to have the option to select the long wing version; however, you will lose the benefit of the clipped version and its roll rate.
MiG-29 for Flaming Cliffs 3

To round out the collection of updated aircraft for Flaming Cliffs 3, the team is working on updating the MiG-29. This will include both a new, high-resolution 6 DOF cockpit and a new external model. After the F-15C, Su-27 and Su-33 Professional Flight Models (PFM) are complete, we also plan a PFM for the MiG-29.
The MiG-29 will have the same level of cockpit systems fidelity as the other Flaming Cliffs aircraft.
This will be a free update for Flaming Cliffs 3 owners.

DCS: L-39 Albatros

The L-39C Albatros is making good progress with new cockpit systems being integrated on almost a daily basis. The new L-39C external model is also nearing completion (the L-39ZA is further behind) as well as the Professional Flight Model (PFM).

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet
Work continues on the building the Hornet cockpit and air-to-surface radar technology. Most of the recent cockpit work has involved texturing and animation of cockpit elements.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 06/17/15 12:16 PM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4135285 - 06/17/15 12:19 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Strange as it seems- I've got no problem with honesty.
Yeah more delay, so?

If I was in their shoes and have the forum half filled with groans and moans for half backed product and the same thing for some more delay, I'd do the same choice.

Stunning textures work, btw.
Also I know I'm going to drop as many LGB as humanly possible on that dam. Hell yeah.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4135288 - 06/17/15 12:29 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
mister_mystic68 Offline
mister_mystic68  Offline

Still an open ended time line. I know they're reluctant to give completion dates, but there was not mention of any closure or goal. It leads me to believe that there is a bad case of scope creep going on or indecision on features to release. I understand that these things take time, but my goodness lock it down and revisit the open items.

Last edited by mister_mystic68; 06/17/15 12:29 PM.
#4135290 - 06/17/15 12:31 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

Arafo, Canary Islands, Spain
The newsletter pics:

DCS: Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) Status

DCS WWII

MiG-29 for Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS: L-39 Albatros

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

More News to the Front
#4135293 - 06/17/15 12:42 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
since I don't need a trainer, the only good thing about the L-39 to me would be a new template to play with, but since the developer is now skipping on releasing any templates, who cares.

I put the best possible spin on it
http://www.lockonfiles.com/topic/40702-dcs-world-news-june-2015/

#4135303 - 06/17/15 12:55 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: komemiute]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
Originally Posted By: komemiute
Also I know I'm going to drop as many LGB as humanly possible on that dam. Hell yeah.

was thinking more along the lines of a few hueys dropping into that canyon to play follow the leader ..lol biggrin

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

The only thing more accurate than incoming fire, is incoming friendly fire

Tracers work BOTH ways...

" I have a cunning plan my lord "
#4135305 - 06/17/15 12:56 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Snoopy_476th Offline
Snoopy_476th  Offline

Warner Robins Ga, USA
And the ED haters come out in 3....2....1....

popcorn

Not surprised, it just recently made it into trunk for internal testing. Looking good and lots of other goodies in the works.

Last edited by Snoopy_476th; 06/17/15 12:58 PM.
#4135307 - 06/17/15 12:58 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Well, stuff takes time, we all know that.

As long as they keep working on DCS and producing quality products I'll keep supporting them.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4135308 - 06/17/15 12:59 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: komemiute]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Strange as it seems- I've got no problem with honesty.
Yeah more delay, so?

If I was in their shoes and have the forum half filled with groans and moans for half backed product and the same thing for some more delay, I'd do the same choice.

Yeah, after reading through, I'm actually ok with this. In the past it's just been "delayed again, because stuff", but here they actually outline why it's delayed, and gave more details about what they hope to achieve.

Would have liked more deets on the hornet though. It seems it's main purpose is a test-bed for A2G radar (fair enough), so hopefully once that's cracked PFM and other systems work will move more quickly, owing to previous experience.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4135311 - 06/17/15 01:02 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: tempusmurphy]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: tempusmurphy

was thinking more along the lines of a few hueys dropping into that canyon to play follow the leader ..lol biggrin

Well to me DCS WOrld 2 and Huey chime together when thinking about multi crew.
To finally be able to instruct real friends on RoE...

"Tempus, keep your eyes peeled on the right.. Mace go for it, only enemy on the left... Pete? You keep those miniguns on a swivel while I try to crash land this trash can as close as possible to out downed aircrew!

*Radio Crackle* Slasher 01, Blue leader- the 'hawgs cleaned the LZ, drop in fast and get this done...*Radio cuts off*

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4135318 - 06/17/15 01:19 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: komemiute]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
now that is what dcs should be ... the mp in single aircraft will open a whole new game style. The whole combined battlefield would be a blast .. with someone running the show telling pilots which targets to go for, and then ordering rescues for downed crew, or calling in airstrikes.. now there is a game!

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

#4135322 - 06/17/15 01:23 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

We lucky dreamers, uh? biggrin

Last edited by komemiute; 06/17/15 01:27 PM.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4135325 - 06/17/15 01:27 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
...with someone running the show telling pilots which targets to go for, and then ordering rescues for downed crew, or calling in airstrikes.. now there is a game!

That's exactly how we do MP missions. wink

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4135334 - 06/17/15 01:37 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: Para_Bellum]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
I may have to get some more time in Mp DCS (will have to ask the wife behindcouch)

#4135337 - 06/17/15 01:40 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

I'm not mad, All I want to know, is who came up with the fall 2013 release date?

c'est la vie

Off to greener pastures
#4135338 - 06/17/15 01:41 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Count me in... (If wife allows)

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4135359 - 06/17/15 01:59 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: near_blind]  
mister_mystic68 Offline
mister_mystic68  Offline

Originally Posted By: near_blind
I'm not mad, All I want to know, is who came up with the fall 2013 release date?

c'est la vie

I would have to agree. It's becoming the norm now and actually I push my expectations out on a quarterly basis. I had a hunch that another delay was coming based on Sithspawns remarks about the live stream coming this weekend from a day ago...

Quote:
This stream will be pre-alpha, as such, performance may very from what we see to what we get in our release. So don't count on him displaying info like that at this time. As this goes through internal testers and gets optimized more, then we will start seeing performance info and requirements I am sure.

Yeah. I also wonder where that fall 2013 release came from. sigh

#4135367 - 06/17/15 02:08 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: Para_Bellum]  
CAVCPT Offline
MAJ, IN, USA
CAVCPT  Offline
MAJ, IN, USA

LOUISIANA, USA
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
...with someone running the show telling pilots which targets to go for, and then ordering rescues for downed crew, or calling in airstrikes.. now there is a game!

That's exactly how we do MP missions. wink

I'm totally on board as well. Again with the consent of the wife, and perhaps a few of you could convince the Army's Armor Branch that I should have more time to fly uh... tank killers. Ahhh, the irony.

Cav

Stephen Luebbert
MAJ, AR
United States Army

#4135377 - 06/17/15 02:20 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
At least with the L-39 you can reenact plenty of low budget jet movies. Trainers are basically the "we couldn't afford a MiG for this scene" jets.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4135378 - 06/17/15 02:21 PM Re: DCS newsletter - let the battle begin .... ding ding ding [Re: bogusheadbox]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I just think they're being too conservative on EDGE's release. Make it part of the open beta, not full release, and let people decide whether they want to deal with crashes and whatever themselves. This is stretching the term "alpha" by making it "late beta" by the time they actually put it out.

What ED is calling public alpha is what many other publishers, like EA and Codemasters for example, call "no more patches coming because we've moved on to the sequel". By the time it's called "release" it will be DCS World 3.

An alpha is a plane with no landing gear, or gear that is always down. A prop that doesn't turn. Blowing up on landing because the apparent runway is considered open terrain by the game.

Now granted things like the new MP GUI imply this isn't a beta because it's not yet feature complete, but this is about as polished an alpha as I've seen since Arma 3's early access.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.