Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4130561 - 06/07/15 06:12 PM Another pointless sim scenario today: Sunday night is watch a movie night!  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based

Tier 4 Russia vs USA, IS3s and IS4s against M46s and M103s and guess who will always win? I have a Russian P47D I can join with so I've just been buzzing around overhead on the Russian side occasionally dropping bombs, watching the IS's swat everything in their path, and so far it is 5-0 Russia and the US side hasn't come close to a victory. Just stupid really and reinforces that unless you are Russian there is no point playing this game at tier 4/5 I reckon. Unless you like losing?

Yes I know that technically you CAN kill an IS3/4 but from my observer seat on Team Russia it is only the T54s that do the dying - the IS's just keep on killing.

H

EDIT: OK now I seem to be waiting a looooong time for a game because no doubt Team USA players have realised this is a no win scenario

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4130698 - 06/08/15 03:27 AM Re: Another pointless sim scenario today [Re: HeinKill]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I was in one winning game out of about six, only because we had two T95's on the team that held our cap and i used my M4's speed to drain the cap early forcing the enemy to send tanks back to recap thus our team moved forward. We basically held a defensive line while i scooted around the opposite side and managed to run in and cap when the bearcats knocked out a bunch of Russian heavies.

Never much fun when i see that scenario pop up though.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4130723 - 06/08/15 08:16 AM Re: Another pointless sim scenario today [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
I also had one win...and bagged my first ever IS3 kill, which turned into a double!

In my M46 I got behind the enemy cap and found two of the swines facing forward with me sitting 200 meters away behind them. I actually thought of running for it because I was sick of getting swatted first time by ISes. Then I figured wtf and put a shell into the engine of the rearmost and he brewed up - a one shot kill on an IS3! The guy in front of him hadn't realised he'd lost his buddy so I nailed him in the @ss too and his engine cooked up, I nailed him again while he was extinguishing the fire, and when I nailed him the third time he'd run out of extinguishers and brewed up. Beudy! So there is more than one way to kill a behemoth, but I think he could actually have turned his turret, killed me, and then put out the fire if he'd been quick enough.

Later I tried the trick Sethos recommended of going for the shot trap under the barrel, but you have to be freakin lucky to hit that. There was one instance where I put a shell down the barrel of an IS3 and knocked out his gun. He tried to back up but had nowhere to go so I concentrated on trying to hit that shot trap. I put 7 hits downrange with my 90mm right under that barrel and nothin. He repaired his barrel eventually and killed me dead. So I aint a big fan of that strategy!

H

[Linked Image]
#4130732 - 06/08/15 08:38 AM Re: Another pointless sim scenario today [Re: HeinKill]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Later I tried the trick Sethos recommended of going for the shot trap under the barrel, but you have to be freakin lucky to hit that. There was one instance where I put a shell down the barrel of an IS3 and knocked out his gun. He tried to back up but had nowhere to go so I concentrated on trying to hit that shot trap. I put 7 hits downrange with my 90mm right under that barrel and nothin. He repaired his barrel eventually and killed me dead. So I aint a big fan of that strategy!

It is a tricky shot indeed. Just keep in mind that you really can't take that shot from too far out. The shot is meant to bounce off that downward sloping ring on the cannon, into the tank. So even with some distance, the round arching downwards and making the shot impossible. So it has a very limited use and probably more for the situations where you go head-to-head in an urban environment.

That's the problem with the IS-3 and IS-4M, the weak spots and shot traps you are working with are tiny and hard to hit, usually non-existent.

#4131175 - 06/09/15 08:51 AM Re: Another pointless sim scenario today [Re: HeinKill]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Nice IS3 kill here..close range though.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4131237 - 06/09/15 11:37 AM Re: Another pointless sim scenario today [Re: HeinKill]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Beautiful smile

#4134063 - 06/14/15 09:08 PM Re: Another pointless sim scenario today [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Ah, so Sunday night is We Own ALL your Base night.

Russian supremacy proven once again with IS4s and IS3s abounding. Why do I bother. I actually trundled out my Tiger a couple of times, but the sim games are just a slaughter house with the shells from my M46 bouncing off no matter what or where I hit, and the IS3s and IS4s killing us every time. US side lost three in a row, we never even got close.

Logged out, made a cuppa and watched a good movie instead. The only satisfying part is that maybe the Russian players have to wait for a game because there are so few Allied players online.

H

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.