Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4124443 - 05/25/15 02:18 AM Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
So... I lost a bet and I have to cook this thing:

I've been thinking and thinking on how to make it work, but all my ideas end up too complicated, impractical or simply wrong. I don't want to cook 10 pizzas until I get it right (although I wouldn't mind having to eat the discarded ones smile ), so... any ideas?

Some I had:

a) Have a mold for the cheese. Too complicated/expensive to have it made (Would have to be made of metal I guess).
b) "Paint" with tomato sauce over the cheese. "Anti-culinary" and also would require some serious skill / mold.
c) Cut the cheese into shape and don't let it melt too much. Not a proper pizza.
d) Carve the shape in the dough, so then the mozzarella will have some barrier to flood and stop there. Not sure it will work.

So far I'm leaning towards c)... but I still don't like it. Can anyone suggest something else?

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4124445 - 05/25/15 02:22 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Get a frozen pizza, a print out of the design and a thumbtack. Put frozen pizza in oven, when done, remove, place picture on pizza, use thumbtack to hold in place, viola mission accomplished.

#4124450 - 05/25/15 02:30 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
In all seriousness, cook the cheese separately and lay it over top when you are done cutting out the design in it.

#4124452 - 05/25/15 02:30 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I have a suggestion. And a question.

Suggestion: stop betting. wink

Question: what would you have won?

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4124453 - 05/25/15 02:35 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Use cheese slices, not grated cheese. Provolone usually comes in circle slices, use that. Lay it out, cut the slices into the other shapes you need to piece it together.
You can print that out, cut out the shape and make a pattern to lay on the slices if you need to for the harder parts like the head.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4124454 - 05/25/15 02:39 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Just lay the unheated shredded mozzarella out in the shape taking care to align the cheese grain to the pattern. Easy as that. Its not going to expand much or explode. 2x so if its that sudo cheap cheese you find in the big bags. That stuff is less cheese than oil and additives.

If you try and melt the cheese the and then cut the pattern its going to turn into a giant mess. Painting the pattern in sauce could be done, but would probably be a royal pain.

But it does look like that one was layed out and cut. Probably why it looks man handled to me.

#4124456 - 05/25/15 02:41 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Use cheese slices, not grated cheese. Provolone usually comes in circle slices, use that. Lay it out, cut the slices into the other shapes you need to piece it together.
You can print that out, cut out the shape and make a pattern to lay on the slices if you need to for the harder parts like the head.

Better idea....

The slices of provolone would do the trick...

#4124460 - 05/25/15 02:55 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: vonBaur]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Yeah, the one I normally use comes in thin slices. It's also quite "elastic" so to speak, so I'm thinking it won't spread too much if I don't let it melt too much...

Originally Posted By: vonBaur

I would have won the same thing. The pleasure of seeing my friend suffer trying to cook the darn thing.

I was complaining about the cost of my MAME cabinet and that I would have to go buy games on Steam or GOG because that's the right thing to do since I'm playing a dubious version on the arcade. And then shipping was nuts, and it didn't have a pause button so I had to add that and the freaking USB controller for that was expensive as well... and... but I was going to be able to play Mortal Kombat on it like when I was 14, but without having to worry about coins or my mom.

So after all the whining my friend and co-worker said stop whining, you will get the biggest pay rise above all of us next month. I said no, it's probably going to be some jackass. Wanna bet? So we bet he would get more than me, and he bet I was going to get more than him.

I lost... and won at the same time. biggrin

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#4124467 - 05/25/15 03:27 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

LOL.

Reminds me of a sales contest at my work several years ago. Grand Prize was a Harley. The deal was that you got one entry for each sale you made, then at the end of the period they'd put all the entries in and draw a winner. This one guy was a sales wiz, always huge numbers, so everybody figured that with all his entries he was a shoe-in. He made $100 side-bets with a couple people that he wouldn't. I asked him why and he said pretty much the same thing, "I'm either going to win a couple hundred bucks or a Harley."

He won the bets. The Harley went to a guy who only had a few sales. And didn't ride, or want to.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4124486 - 05/25/15 05:31 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Google to the rescue! googled dragon pizza and found a vid of the creator of the pizza

At 14:40 he talks about the Mortal Kombat Pizza

#4124487 - 05/25/15 05:40 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Darn it, I googled like mad and didn't find that!

EDIT: Well, my idea c) was correct apparently. The cooking paper part I didn't think about, I was thinking on just regular paper directly out of the printer... which I guess/hope will work just fine.

Last edited by WileECoyote; 05/25/15 05:56 AM.

#4124511 - 05/25/15 08:30 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Melt some cheese in a stainless flask in the oven, use cheese like paint..wear gloves biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4124553 - 05/25/15 11:24 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Mudcat was sorta close. Just replace his printed out picture of a dragon with the printed sheet of cheese. Would taste about the same. readytoeat

#4124876 - 05/26/15 02:37 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Well they only said you had to make the pizza, not that it had to taste good smile

#4124930 - 05/26/15 08:40 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
I haven't looked at the vid. 4mm slices of pizza
mozzarella - I buy it in 2.5kg blocks, so two
slices on the long axis will get your size. Lay
the slices on baking parchment, on a flat tray.
Have a full size print of the shape on regular paper
to lay over top of the cheese, pre-cut with the shape
(with a scalpel/box cutter etc), and carve the shape
through the cheese with a blunt knife (so as not to
pierce the parchment), then obviously extract the
unwanted sections of the cheese. Chill the cheese &
parchment in the freezer till almost frozen, then it
can be transferred in one step to the top of the pizza
without stretching out of shape (it will slide from
the parchment without sticking). The pizza should be
mostly cooked already, so you just have to warm it
enough to melt the cheese and it will be done.

#4125220 - 05/26/15 06:28 PM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4125224 - 05/26/15 06:31 PM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
Yeah, the one I normally use comes in thin slices. It's also quite "elastic" so to speak, so I'm thinking it won't spread too much if I don't let it melt too much...

Originally Posted By: vonBaur

I would have won the same thing. The pleasure of seeing my friend suffer trying to cook the darn thing.

I was complaining about the cost of my MAME cabinet and that I would have to go buy games on Steam or GOG because that's the right thing to do since I'm playing a dubious version on the arcade. And then shipping was nuts, and it didn't have a pause button so I had to add that and the freaking USB controller for that was expensive as well... and... but I was going to be able to play Mortal Kombat on it like when I was 14, but without having to worry about coins or my mom.

So after all the whining my friend and co-worker said stop whining, you will get the biggest pay rise above all of us next month. I said no, it's probably going to be some jackass. Wanna bet? So we bet he would get more than me, and he bet I was going to get more than him.

I lost... and won at the same time. biggrin

MAME Cabinet vs. the cost of the actual machine? It's still a deal you're getting.

http://www.vintagearcade.net/product-category/arcade-games/

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#4125404 - 05/27/15 03:33 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: Timothy]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Originally Posted By: Timothy
MAME Cabinet vs. the cost of the actual machine? It's still a deal you're getting.

Holly s*it! 2k for a Mortal Kombat 2 arcade... I got 1, 2 and 3 on GOG for 6 bucks. biggrin

On the topic of freezing the cheese. Wouldn't that affect the texture of it once it melts? I never tried freezing cheese... we'll see on Saturday.

For those saying the bet doesn't include taste. This friend of mine is the most grotesque eater you can imagine, he's known to drink the "water" from the olives glass package. He says it tastes good and don't see any problem with it. screwy ...so the pizza might as well be made of cardboard: if it has sauce on it, he'll eat it.

BUT, I guess I should at least *try* to make it taste good... after all I'd like to have a bite too.

#4125413 - 05/27/15 04:30 AM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Mudcat Offline
Serial Thread Killer
Mudcat  Offline
Serial Thread Killer

Wilton, NC
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
Originally Posted By: Timothy

Holly s*it! 2k for a Mortal Kombat 2 arcade... I got 1, 2 and 3 on GOG for 6 bucks. biggrin

On the topic of freezing the cheese. Wouldn't that affect the texture of it once it melts? I never tried freezing cheese... we'll see on Saturday.

For those saying the bet doesn't include taste. This friend of mine is the most grotesque eater you can imagine, he's known to drink the "water" from the olives glass package. He says it tastes good and don't see any problem with it. screwy ...so the pizza might as well be made of cardboard: if it has sauce on it, he'll eat it.

BUT, I guess I should at least *try* to make it taste good... after all I'd like to have a bite too.

Well if he'll eat anything then just use toothpaste instead of cheese, just squeeze it out of the tube after baking the pizza :P Might be easy to work with.

Nothing wrong with some olive juice, some of them are soaked in wine anyway cheers

#4125633 - 05/27/15 04:56 PM Re: Ideas from the culinary inclined fellas [Re: WileECoyote]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Raw Pizza... Fresh tonight readytoeat

Sadly it did not survive long enough to take another picture biggrin

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.