Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4123840 - 05/23/15 04:27 PM Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Hey everyone,

I created a little mod that adds 3mph extra wind to every weather type, slightly increasing the turbulence you experience while flying, especially in nasty weather. It adds a nice little bouncy "feeling of flight", I think and can certainly throw off your aim quit unexpectedly.

WARNING -
This mod could (and probably does) introduce campaign breaking bugs such as lower powered a/c not being able to hold formation well, running into one another, etc.

It also seems (my impression) to put a little extra pressure on your wings, making them slightly more likely to break under sustained combat stress situations, so you might want to listen carefully to the creaking sounds of your wings and not get over zealous throwing your plane all over the sky.

Neither I, nor OBD - which doesn't have anything to do with this user created mod and doesn't support it in any way - are responsible for the loss of campaign pilots or any other potential damage extra winds might cause.

If you have any problems with anything, as always, uninstall all mods first before contacting OBD.

I'd highly recommend you try it out in Quick Combat with test pilots first under numerous weather conditions to see if it's something you'd enjoy or not.

You may download it here: It is in JSGME format, so it should be easy to install / uninstall
https://www.dropbox.com/s/em9umjx6tie5pp4/WOFF%20Hellshades%20Turbulant%20Skies.zip?dl=0

What does combat look like in Hellshade's Turbulent Skies? See for yourself. You can notice a bit extra "shake" from time to time as my kite fights the wind gusts.

PS No SweetFX. AnKors Beta Sky shaders mod. Running 2560 x 1440 8xSQ AA.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4123848 - 05/23/15 04:53 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Lewis Offline
Lewis  Offline

Maritime Oregon.
Do you think the extra turbulence effects the AI enemy aircraft's aim enough to make their scoring hit of you harder?

That was the one thing about OFF I found annoying was the enemy planes getting a series of hits from relatively long distances.

Last edited by Lewis; 05/23/15 04:54 PM.

Barmy OFFer in questionable standing, maybe collapsed in a corner?

Join the few, the touched, the moon spacklers.

[image]http://combatace.com/uploads/profile/photo-65486.jpg[/image]
#4123851 - 05/23/15 04:59 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Its entirely possible. Of course not every weather is maximum wind speed. I just added 3 mph to whatever the Devs already had, so obviously the nastier the weather, the bigger the impact its likely to have in terms of formation flying, shooting and possibly things like stall recovery.

#4123852 - 05/23/15 05:02 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
As Hellshade said, please use it with care if you do. The turbulences and winds are chosen very carefully and tested for a very long time. Initially it was too strong and it was toned down almost completely. The expansion brought it back with the wind and turbulence as strong as possible, but as soft as necessary to make all AC behave normally without falling into spins etc. Especially the low powered AC.

@Lewis
If you mean OFF you are right, but WOFF never had sniping AI at no time.

#4124256 - 05/24/15 05:12 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
I started a 1916 DH2 campaign and so far the AI are holding formation beautifully. They bounce around a bit in the heavier weather, but no accidents yet. Here's what it looks like flying through moderately windy weather in formation.

#4124261 - 05/24/15 05:26 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Got into my first combat. I saw a pair of EIIIs trailing some Allied recon craft and harassing them. I broke ranks and swooped in behind them to try to save the recon boys. I gotta say, I'm liking the little extra wind buffeting. Its lost that "on rails" feeling and has a little bit of "float" to it that makes it feel like you are hitting air pockets, etc. Keeps things a little more challenging, although the EIIIs dropped relatively easy. Maybe I got in some lucky pilot hits? I'm set for Less Accurate Guns.

#4124289 - 05/24/15 07:01 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Here's me stupidly attacking a trio of German Aviatiks behind our lines for King and Country. Grazed by bullets and engine knocked out, I almost paid the ultimate price.

#4124315 - 05/24/15 08:06 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Between bumping the resolution up to 2560 x 1440 and adding in the extra wind turbulence (+3MPH across all weather types), it feels like a whole new sim. Patrolling behind enemy lines our flight gets jumped by a pair of EIIIs.

#4124343 - 05/24/15 09:25 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Nice flying, I like the DH 2, IMO it far outclasses the E.III. Have you noticed any problems with your mod?

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4124345 - 05/24/15 09:32 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Banjoman]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Nice flying, I like the DH 2, IMO it far outclasses the E.III. Have you noticed any problems with your mod?

I've flown 17 missions with it so far in the DH2 and not a single mishap. Maybe an older, underpowered 1915 plane might have issues with the wind though. I couldn't say. The mod is in JSGME format, so I heartily recommend downloading and installing it and then just start a pilot campaign with it activated and see for yourself. Personally, I love it. It really makes the fights more exciting to me. Harder to keep lined up on an enemy.

#4124359 - 05/24/15 10:07 PM Re: Hellshade's Turbulent Skies Mod - USE AT OWN RISK [Re: Hellshade]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
I had a dogfight with Max Immelman and survived!

April 22nd, 1916 while on patrol I notice archie bursts off to the right. My wingmen and I wheel over and dive to investigate. Sure enough, a pair of EIIIs come climbing towards us, but one of them is painted green! It's Max Immelman, the Great German Ace! After a bit, his wingman dives for the deck closely pursed by a DH2 and it's just me and one of my wingman against Max. We dogfight a bit but he is far better at flying his machine than I am mine and so he easily uses his ability to climb to stay out of the range of my guns most of the time, though I did manage to get a few shots in passing. Eventually, he tires of the game and heads back for his lines well out of reach of my wingman and I. We never caught him.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM