Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4119167 - 05/12/15 12:21 AM Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews..  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Compared to PS4 and PC.
GameRankings

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4119251 - 05/12/15 08:07 AM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
I have it on PC, PS4 and XBOX One and the only issue I've had so far is a large amount of dead zone added to the steering axis by default which I took off and it was fine after that, especially for the karts as the steering was too twitchy before. The other minor irritation was the mandatory controls. The first thing I did on my PS4 and XBOX One was to re-map the gear shift controls to square and circle and X and B but that overwrote the mapping for rear camera view and KERS and the game would not let me exit the control mapping options until I set those to another button but all it said was some controls were missing so I had to set them back to default, find out what controls I'd overwritten and not remapped and then map them to another button.

#4119260 - 05/12/15 09:08 AM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Wow, you have all 3 versions. So are they all equal? The XB1 is not inferior in any way ?

#4119285 - 05/12/15 10:49 AM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Graphically the PC is the best version but I've not noticed any real difference in terms of physics between each format. There are reports of frame rate issues on the XBOX One version which I've not experienced but I had limited time at the weekend to play and so spent most of my time on the PS4 version but have been playing the PC version for the last 2-3 years. There was maybe one difference I noticed and it could have just been down to the car and track combination I tried but when I was setting up the joypads on each system I removed the dead zone on the steering axis and the XBOX version felt ever so slightly smoother than the PS4 analogue stick though as I said that could have just been down to the track and car combination I chose on each system.

#4119290 - 05/12/15 10:57 AM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
I just saw this thread on the official PCars forums claiming to be a workaround for the FPS drop and I wonder if this is why I've not seen the issues others have mentioned as I have all my XBOX One games installed on a 2TB USB drive.

#4122074 - 05/19/15 11:50 AM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I've been following that too... it's kinda funny, the reviews and comments about the XB1 version, well even the console versions are pretty low like you said... but the thing most gamers are complaining about are things us simmers like about pCARS... ie: tire wear, pit stops, and race distance. And they love to compare the game to the Forza series and the PS4's GT series... arguing that they look better. I personally don't think so.

I have both the PC version and the XB1 version, of course the sights and sounds on PC are much better, but I have had no issues with the XB1 version either. I do have it installed on a external 2TB USB drive, which they report is faster and better then if installed on the default internal drive.

But pCARS, even thou it may not be as sim as say iRacing, is pretty damn good... I love it for mostly the driver careers. Where you practice, qualify, then do a race or 2. Where it could start raining, or stop any time, where it can become dark or light. The game gives options... and that's what makes this the best racer on console, IMO.

Now I have both FM5 and FH2... they are great games, and look great, but not sure if they are any better then pCARS, but I do know that I prefer, as a old simmer, to play pCAR vs the other two. Actually haven't booted up the other 2 since release of pCARS. What I'm hoping is that the next FM game steps up it's game... due to pCARS.

and the above is the reason why we keep seeing so many of the same action/arcade games that we do on console. Back in the 360 days some of the best games released sold terriblally, because they were too sim like. IE: Apache, Race Pro from Simbin... those games were great because of sim lite options you could turn on... but the main gamer didn't like either.

imo

#4122107 - 05/19/15 01:11 PM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
I saw one person complaining about grip and saying the game had a feeling like you were driving on ice and then in another thread later asked what icons told you what temp the tyres were at so its safe to assume he's been trying to gun it out of the pits on cold tires and spun out not understanding he had to build up the temperatures first. The gamepad controls have been another issue talked about and again I think some of the issues come down to bad habits developed playing other games like Forza or Gran Turismo which don't go down well in a more realistic game like pCars, also the handling hasn't been gimped to suit a gamepad like I suspect the other titles have. PCars will play better on a wheel, that's just the simple mechanics of a wheel with 900 degree's rotation and a set of pedals giving you finer control than a mini-stick on a gamepad or the tiny triggers with minimal travel. Like you Magnum I have the game installed on a 2TB external drive and it seems that install method gives the best results as I'm not experiencing any problems.

I laugh when I see the comparisons to DriveClub on the PS4. The game is very much in the Forza Horizon mould in terms of realism i.e no quite at the level of Forza or Gran Turismo and I'm not saying I don't enjoy either Drive Club or Forza Horizon, just that they are more relaxed in their approach to handling and physics so perhaps can use a bit more of the resources on the visuals. A lot of the screenshots you see online for DriveClub have a lot of post process effects added because the pictures were taken in photo mode, I have the game and it looks a lot different to those glitzy screenshots when you're actually playing. I think pCars is the best looking racing game on any of the formats and certainly the most realistic on PS4 and XBOX One though not as realistic as say iRacing/rFactor 2 or Assetto Corsa on PC but not that far away especially if you fire up something like the Lotus 49.

#4122737 - 05/20/15 11:01 PM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
Love the physics reviews from end-users (Not directed at you, Revvin).

Wish I was a racecar driver like apparently the entire console and PC gaming world is.

I wonder if Audi knows all these people are driving their R18s.

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
#4123047 - 05/21/15 08:00 PM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: WangoTango]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
I was watching a vid on youtube last night, looks pretty damn cool

#4123805 - 05/23/15 02:38 PM Re: Project Cars on XboxOne getting low reviews.. [Re: Ark]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Ark
Love the physics reviews from end-users (Not directed at you, Revvin).

Wish I was a racecar driver like apparently the entire console and PC gaming world is.

I wonder if Audi knows all these people are driving their R18s.

No problem, I can only talk about physics and handling from experience of other sims so its just opinion like most other people as there are very few who can talk from experience driving high powered cars like the McLaren MP4-12C GT3 which appears in most sims that could be used as some sort of benchmark. When games like Forza and PCars come along that have cars that are closer to road going cars you get people saying things like "Oh I drove a Focus ST and it handled much better blah blah" but they forget in a game you could be pushing the car twice as hard as you would in real life because the fear factor has gone, you're not worrying about smashing up your beautiful car or hurting yourself. I don't subscribe to the 'sim snob' mentality some have either. I enjoy iRacing as I enjoyed many so called 'hardcore sims' on the PC over the years but I could go from my PC and have just as much fun playing the Forza or GT series on the consoles or Project Gotham for that matter.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.