Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

8 Dec 1917 @ 07h23 Patrol to our airfield at Ligescourt NW of Abbeville

Entering the briefing room, Godfrey spotted the new man Reed who had just arrived the night before. He was sitting quietly on his own in the second last row of seats. There had been no time for his introduction to the squadron and so sensing that this would be a good chance to break the ice and see what the lad was made of, Godfrey promptly sat down beside him. “Godfrey is the name, and you are?” “Ltn. Reed. Ethan Sir” replied Reed. Godfrey injected “No time now for niceties. We will take care of intro’s when this mission is over, provided you pay attention to my directions and make it back here in one piece!” “Yes Sir”, was the reply. “You have been assigned to my flight and you will fly wing. Stay close to me, watch your six and don’t take off to make a name for yourself. I don’t take kindly to writing letters home for missing new men.”

The C.O. Caldwell, commanded attention and suddenly the room went quiet.

“Gentlemen, this should be a romp in the park today and a good opportunity to introduce the new man “Reed” to our squadron. Eyes all swung around beeming in on Reed who seemed a tad fidgety.

“B” flight will patrol to Ligescourt with “A” flight providing top cover.
I don’t suspect you will encounter anything that deep behind our lines, but keep your eyes peeled on the run down to Hesdin. There have been reports of Hun two seaters in the area as of late. “Bloody impudent of them to come this far west if you ask me!” said the C.O.

“The latest weather reports indicate Wind from the NW at 8 kn, Broken thick cumulus with pockets of clear sky.

Godfrey will lead “B” flight, and Cochran-Patrick, “A” flight to provide top cover. That is all.”

The room was suddenly full of the noise of clattering chairs and raucus voices as the men cleared the room and headed to their mounts.

Godfrey waited until all the members of “B” flight signaled with hand motions that their engines were warmed up and then he eased the throttle forward as his S.E. rumbled off down the runway. It was 07h23.

By 07h38 the flights were formed up north of the field at 7600 ft and turned SW. The forecast had been quite accurate. The sky was ominously filled with dark cumulus clouds heavy with moisture. Visibility was moderate at best aided by the fact that the clouds were somewhat dispersed in what otherwise would have been a clear sky. It was clear that a front was moving in and Godfrey hoped that the mission would complete before the worst of it closed in.

At 07h56 the flight was at 8900 ft. west of Fruges and closely following the Lumbres-Hesdin road. They continued to climb out seeing nothing and huddling down in the cockpit against the cold damp air.

At 08h07 flying at 10,000 ft the flight was just west of Hesdin when Godfrey spotted 6 flecks headed NE approaching directly in front at 1 o’clock.
They turned out to be Albatros D.V.’s of Jasta 27, way deep across the lines and totally unexpected. Both opponents were startled at the meeting but fought to gain the upper hand. The Huns were slightly higher and with the advantage.

Godfrey focused on the right most hun, strafing him as he passed, and at the same time noting another which was quickly turning to take a shot at his port side. Godfrey turned into the attacker to foil him but was not totally successful as he heard a sharp crack as a round hit his engine cover.

Albatros and S.E.’s were everywhere. Constantly checking his six to see that he was clear of attackers, Godfrey noted a Hun within close range and made a run at him. He felt sure he was making good hits as pieces of wood broke away from the D.V. as they climbed into some heavy cloud cover. Godfrey lost sight of him for a moment but as the sky cleared he was able to swing back onto the Hun’s tail and at collision range he sprayed volley after volley into him and wondering why he wasn’t going down. Godfrey was on the verge of uttering foul abuses when suddenly the D.V. lost it’s upper port wing and began to break up in mid air. Leaving the foe to his own devices Godfrey searched the sky for friend or foe and all were gone out of site except Hegarty who was pummeling a lone D.V. Godfrey gave chase to close in on the affair and just as he arrived he saw the Hun go down and Hagerty break under him.

Godfrey began to climb out and circle to reform his flight. It was 08h12 and he was down at 4800 ft. He could just make out St. Andre-aux-bois airfield below and about 4 miles off. Godfrey watched as members of the flight began to appear and begin to form up behind him. It wasn’t long until the formation was complete, minus Hagerty. They held their position for a time but it soon became clear Hagerty wasn’t going to be able to join them.

They flight finished the patrol, returning to base at 09h14. Godfrey put in a claim for one D.V. and confirmed that he had seen Hegarty down another. Reed quickly confirmed that he say Godfrey’s D.V. break up. Duncan, Chidlaw-Roberts and Young each claimed one. That was 5 out of six confirmed.

Later that day reports came in from St. Andre airfield that Hegerty had suffered a minor combat wound in the fracas and had totaled his craft attempting to land at the field. There was also ground confirmation of the downed D.V.’s near the base.

Godfrey was called into Caldwell’s office and told that the he was up for a bar to his VC. He now had an MC, DSO with bar and VC soon to be with bar.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 04/07/18 10:45 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4415294 - 04/08/18 06:17 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Congrats on your VC bar Godfrey, good fight from your outfit. Save some for us.

2Lt. John B. Goode
147th Aero Squadron USAS

April 3rd 1918

Still raining but we were able to do some training between downpours. Taxiing practice with a row of Morane aircraft with clipped wings. The rollers only have 50 hp engines but they put out a surprising amount of torque. I had some difficulty keeping the thing on the straight and narrow at first but was getting the hang of it before we had to call it quits.

The Germans are near enough to Paris to bombard it with some sort of long rang gun they've developed. We're impatient to get through this so we can start making a difference!

April 4th 1918

Raining, lectures on various rotary engines.

April 5th 1918

Raining still! More lectures in machine shop. Looked at Le Rhones in different stages of assembly and had a class on airframes of several aircraft.

April 6th 1918

Still raining, can you believe it! We'll never get this show on the road at this rate!

Nothing was scheduled except the rollers again and that was washed out on account of the heavy rain and deep mud. Big poker game in the barracks but I took no part. A group of us got together and took the 1:30 train to Issoudun for sightseeing. First I've been out to just look at the country.

The town hasn't built a new building in 500 years. The tower and prison were built by RIchard the Lion Hearted. We were treated very well everywhere we went. Found some Neats foot oil for my belts and boots. Had a grand meal and we had a lot of fun throwing coins to the kids. Caught the last truck back to camp with another group of sightseers from the 27th Aero.

April 8th 1918

First day in a week it hasn't rained and we still cant fly because of the damn mud! Cold, some of the boys went into town again but I stayed here and moped around, caught up on correspondence, read and played with Mickey. He's a great one for a tug-of-war.

Attached Files issoudunroulier.PNGissoudun 6.PNG
Last edited by jerbear; 04/08/18 06:19 PM.
#4415295 - 04/08/18 06:23 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Item of interest: I found this aircraft while looking for info on Issoudun on the net. I dont know anything about it or the Chaplain who was supposed to be commander but I have seen the back of the machine on another photo. Wish I could see this one is color.

Attached Files issoudun fish.PNG
Last edited by jerbear; 04/08/18 06:24 PM.
#4415327 - 04/08/18 09:58 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Well done everyone.

Mr Wiggins: Great Vid Well Done!

Ref to Linderman's last Flight. It would have been a nail biting flight except he was wearing Flight Gloves

Last edited by carrick58; 04/08/18 10:02 PM.
#4415328 - 04/08/18 10:09 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by carrick58
Well done everyone.

Mr Wiggins: Great Vid Well Done!

Ref to Linderman's last Flight. It would have been a nail biting flight except he was wearing Flight Gloves

Ha Ha! Well put! Tnx for the ack.

(System_Specs)

#4415330 - 04/08/18 10:14 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: jerbear]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by jerbear
Item of interest: I found this aircraft while looking for info on Issoudun on the net. I dont know anything about it or the Chaplain who was supposed to be commander but I have seen the back of the machine on another photo. Wish I could see this one is color.

Here is your color copy!

Attached Files flying fish.JPG

(System_Specs)

#4415349 - 04/09/18 12:25 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Thanks, that's a beauty. And I guess that should have been Captain not Chaplain

Last edited by jerbear; 04/09/18 12:27 AM.
#4415361 - 04/09/18 02:01 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Luthor Linderman
3rd Floor Section F
Row 4, Bed 3
Hospital # 9
Dusseldorft.

They worked on me all morning then the doc placed a nurse to watch me for the next 24 hrs. Just before they put me under, I was told that my 9th Victory was confirmed.

Attached Files slide_281933_2126863_free 3.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 04/09/18 03:51 AM.
#4415788 - 04/11/18 02:25 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Robert, great account and video. Congrats on the chest salad!!! Maeran, that story was outstanding. I can't wait for your take on Mick's gang.

I've been very busy at work, so I'm playing catch-up with Corderoy. My bad luck with claims has returned. I have had four claims rejected, three were seen to crash and the fourth was clearly out of control with pieces missing. Aargh!

Diary of Maj. Geoffrey Corderoy, 70 Squadron RFC
Part 44: 4 to 9 December 1917

4 December 1917 – Poperighe aerodrome

I am finding myself very fatigued these days. Headaches have subsided, but the knee is very sore and stiff again and seems sapped of all strength. Still, I am determined to get back in form and knock the stuffing out of the Huns so they will stop the damned war.

Catherine writes daily now and I am somewhat conflicted. Each letter is a thrill, full of gossip and funny stories about her fellow VAD nurses at St. Thomas, along with the occasional snippet of poetry and yesterday – a photo. She is really a lovely girl. I put the photo on my mirror and Lieut. Gregg makes no end of complements about her. I think the fellow is smitten.

Yet I have reservations. I met her only once, in sad circumstances as I offered her my condolences for the loss of poor old Scarborough, her fiancé. And now with scarcely a pause, she writes me and is so very familiar. I have read of the wives that followed Wellington’s army in the Peninsula and how they would remarry when widowed before their last husband’s body was even found on the field of battle. That’s what it feels like.

But still, she is a topping girl, a real beauty. I should like to get over to London to take her to dinner and a show and do this correctly. For the moment, I feel as though I want to love her but cannot.

No joy this morning. Went over to Loos in filthy weather. Snot froze to my balaklava and we saw nothing.

5 December 1917

The Christmas concert is set for the 22nd. I have decided to put on a brief comedy sketch based on something I saw in Reading before the war. I should need a pretty young girl for the sketch, and Sergeant-Major Pococke tells me that a certain Private Aldringham can play the part, albeit with a suspicious amount of enthusiasm!

Accompanied Capt Arthur over the lines near Vimy. Chased three two-seaters and took damage from the observer’s gun, so broke off.

The Huns have pushed back down south near Cambrai. What seemed so promising a week ago now seems to have gained no ground, and stained what ground was fought over with the blood of a few tens of thousands more. This time, however, the tanks showed great promise. There were not enough reserves, it seems.

6 December 1917

Off at eight and over the lines at 10000 feet. Fire the guns every five minutes to keep them from freezing solid. Spend an hour hunched over for warmth ten miles deep into Hunland in our southernmost sector.

Three DVs attack and we have a fine scrap. I get behind one and send it tumbling down out of control. No one witnesses a crash, but I saw it pass through clouds at 3000 feet, still spinning. Still, Wing rejects the claim, noting it as merely “driven down.” My count stands rigid at 34.

[Linked Image]
"I get behind one and send it tumbling down out of control."

7 December 1917

Joined A Flight for a patrol over the Salient, but my engine quit after five minutes and I glided back to Pops.

The papers are reporting a massive explosion in Halifax, Canada, that has destroyed much of the city. Our Canadians – Howsam, Koch, Quigley, Gorringe – are all buried in the papers. They tell me none of them lives within a thousand miles of Halifax. Koch and Gorringe say they live more than 2000 miles from Halifax! Unimaginable that they should still be in the same country. I told Howsam that I wanted to see the Canadian prairie, but Howsam warned me that the western city Koch lives in is a “little bit of bugger all surrounded by a whole lot of bugger all.”

8 December 1917

Utterly browned off today. We patrolled over the salient this morning, with me tagging along with Arthur’s flight. A pair of two-seaters passed over us and I gave chase, heading south from Menen. Near Halluin we ran into a group of Huns and a good scrap started. I bagged one, an Albatros with a white tail with red stripes. It fell out of control and I followed its fall from 10000 feet down to less than 3000 feet. That is when I saw another Albatros heading east by itself. I got behind it and sent it tumbling down. By this time I was coming under machine gun fire from the Hun field at Halluin, so I climbed away. I noticed Aldred and Arthur chasing another Albatros and surprised the fellow, sending him down out of control to crash just south of the airfield. I claimed all three, but NONE of them were confirmed by Wing. I suspect that someone does not want me chasing Bishop’s numbers, damn the man. I refuse to go home with fewer than 50 EA to my credit.

[Linked Image]
One of three rejected claims today

Drank too much tonight. Ought never to talk politics in the mess. Todd is a staunch Tory, but I suspect it’s because that’s what his father told him to be. I was in a foul mood and argued for Labour just to stir things up. Damn nearly started a fight.

Attached Files reject 1.pngreject 2.png
#4415888 - 04/11/18 06:58 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Another classic from Raine. Thank you.

I hope that Sir Corderoy (certainly he will be knighted, should he survive the war with 34+ victories), is not experiencing war fatigue. Despite his reservations, a long weekend spent inside a room with Catherine might just do the trick, although I am sure Geoffrey is much too chivalrous to take advantage of the poor lass.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4415893 - 04/11/18 07:02 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Robert and Carrick: Which shade of blue do you prefer, the colour of Captain Gwinne's Nieuport, or the blue on that fetching nurse's uniform? Discuss. I expect supporting documents and analysis!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4415895 - 04/11/18 07:34 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Gee Bob, I hadn't noticed the nurses uniform as I was too entranced with her eyes biggrin
That said, I am still drawn to the lines of the Nieuport! Tough decision there. I will defer to
Carrick's best judgement as he no doubt has more experience with judging Nurses uniforms than I do.

(System_Specs)

#4415896 - 04/11/18 07:36 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Carrick, that's quite a nurse. Hope this is your tenth victory.

#4415910 - 04/11/18 09:09 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Great reports once more. Robert, congrats on the bar. Raine, this Hun’s arm is outside the cockpit, he is clearly dead! What’s wrong with these bean counters? Carrick, congrats on another fine injury! And Robert, looking into the eyes is no excuse. They’re still blue.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4415931 - 04/12/18 12:05 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit, this past couple of weeks have been frustrating. I bagged a DIII tonight, watching it thunder in and disintegrate. My wingman was close behind me, yet the claim was also rejected. That makes eight in a row.

#4415932 - 04/12/18 12:26 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Raine
Fullofit, this past couple of weeks have been frustrating. I bagged a DIII tonight, watching it thunder in and disintegrate. My wingman was close behind me, yet the claim was also rejected. That makes eight in a row.

Raine, it's one of those areas that needs some Dev improvement in my opinion. Maybe an AI improvement that takes into consideration how close a flight mate is, closeness to your own ground troops, etc, etc.
I can't really criticize the existing process because I don't know how the decisions are determined. Maybe there is some reasonable logic at play but I too feel that too often claims are denied in the face of what one would consider undeniable. Hopefully we may see some improvements in this area if it is being worked on again for WOTR.

I would suggest putting "claims on easy" in the workshop if you haven't already.

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)

#4415933 - 04/12/18 12:27 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, I feel your pain and frustration. It happens. Hopefully next one won't be a dud.

[Linked Image]

I sometimes think the bean counters are playing a game.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Rej.JPGSpot.JPG

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4415954 - 04/12/18 02:05 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
I would suggest putting "claims on easy" in the workshop if you haven't already.

Robert, I haven't the heart. Despite its shortcomings, the system generates realistic victory numbers over a career. Many rejections I can rationalize, but there are a few that smack you in the face. I've suggested an override button in the claim page that allows you to automatically get credit for a claim if you genuinely bagged it [i.e. as per the easy setting, regardless of the actual setting] Of course, you'd have to use it sparingly, such as when the thing crashes on a friendly airfield.

Last edited by Raine; 04/12/18 02:06 AM.
#4415955 - 04/12/18 02:12 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Raine

The thing about easy claims is that you don't have to put the claim in if you can't confirm it. At least you have the choice. It's the best option we have at the moment. Even then, you still get rejections, but not as much in my opinion.

(System_Specs)

#4416003 - 04/12/18 12:50 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

So many exciting reports to catch up!

I'm totally out of the loop regarding dates. The earlier campaign is now somewhere in December 1917?

I could use a little help with that. smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
Page 195 of 227 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again