Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4120392 - 05/14/15 03:53 PM Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
CVN-72 USS Abraham Lincoln
PERSIAN GULF
SOUTHERN NO-FLY ZONE
March 1, 2003
0400 hrs ZULU

Jane's F/A-18E Superhornet
Campaign: Operation JUST REWARD
Mission 1
SEAD

AAR Part 1 - PLANNING AND ARMING

The war with Iraq is about to commence. I have been tasked to begin to dismantle the Iraqi Radar and Air Defence network.

Mission summary:

I need to get hidden emitters to activate and reveal their position - then destroy them - classic SEAD:

ENEMY SITUATION

Enemy air threat is low as the Iraqi AF has been severley degraded, however the SAM threat is high, and I'll be expecting a lot of AAA, especially down low:

This is my AO. It's a busy day over the Gulf, and a friendly flight over Kuwait (USAF F-15s). Potential Iraqi MiG threat IVO Nasiriyah but unlikely to show up. The green rings are enemy radar ranges, and the red rings are surface to air missile threat ranges. The green icon over Basra is Bullseye and the little black and green icons are TACAN stations.

The known SAM threats at Basra are SA-11s and SA-13s (these are the ones that were secretly provided to Iraq by Molvanîa), however I need to get emitters south-east of Basra and on the Al-Faw Peninsula to light up and reveal their locations - I'm expecting them to be SA-11s as well.

SA-11:

Snow Drift Radar (SD):

SA-11 TELAR:

Even when the Snow Drift Radar is destroyed, the TELARs still have their own radar and guidance and continue to pose a threat, so I really want to destroy all the TELARs.

SA-13 "Gopher", highly mobile, optical and IR guided:

Basra City on the southern bank of the Shatt al-Arab:

The airport to the west is Basra International and the small airstrip to the NW of the city is Old Basra Airport - both good visual references for when I'm flying in the neighbourhood. The SA-13 is on the Highway NW of Basra.

FRIENDLY AIR TASKING

My strike package callsign is Alpha 1 and I have a Flight of 8 Superhornets. We have two EA-6B Prowlers in direct support as standoff jammers - this EW will help a lot with suppressing the enemy radars and making it difficult to get a lock on us. I've also got another EW trick up my sleeve which I plan to use and you'll see that later in the arming section.

An E-3 Sentry is on station to provide surveillance, command, control and communications. An E-8 JSTARS (Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System) is also on station to provide ground surveillance, battle management and command and control if required. Two Tomcats are on CAP over the Gulf to povide top cover.

An S-3B tanker from the USS Abraham Lincoln and two USAF KC-135s are flying tanker patterns over the Gulf - I will need them. Lastly, Sandy - 2x SH-60 helos are on alert if anyone crashes, is shot down or needs to eject.

ARMING

Here is the inventory I have to choose from:

I arm my plane with 4x HARMs and 4x Mk20 Rockeyes - a classic SEAD loadout. I take an Advanced Targetting FLIR pod so I can stand off and identify ground targets especially the TELARs and hand them off to members of my package for targetting. I've loaded a 480 gallon fuel tank to give me some loiter time around the target area. I also take 1x AMRAAM and 2x AIM-9X Sidewinders for self protection. I load my wingman with a very similar loadout except I only give him two Rockeyes and instead give him a total of 3x 480 gallon fuel tanks as the AI are prone to using the burner a bit too much... I do this for all the AI in my package.
Here is my loadout:

I arm my Section each with 2x HARMs, 2x AMRAAMs, 2x Winders, as well as the 3 bags of fuel, and I load them each up with 4x ADM-141 TALDs (Tactical Air Launched Decoy) - Section will provide my deception plan - more below...

The TALD is used to confuse and saturate enemy air defenses, as part of an overall SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses) strategy thus allowing attacking aircraft and weapons a higher probability of penetrating to the target.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-141_TALD

I load up Division with same HARM/Rockeye SEAD mix as my wingman.

Here you can see the loadout of my whole package:

Here is my kneeboard courtesy of VFA-41 Black Aces:

MY PLAN

My scheme of manoeuvre is:
1. Launch
2. Refuel at the USN S-3B Tanker
3. After refueling I will get my package to go EMCON - turn off all emmiters including RADAR - to remain undetected for as long as possible (I will use the AWACs data uplink to keep situational awareness).
4. Deception Plan - At the IP I will get Section to release their Ducks (TALDs), we will then do a lazy 360 turn to give the TALDs time to penetrate enemy airspace. The eight approaching TALDs will deceive the enemy into lighting up their emitters.
5. Myself and my wingman will engage the emitters with HARMS, and then roll in on TELARs with Rockeyes. I will leave Section as standoff cover for any unexpected popup SAMs and any (unlikely) air threat.
6. I will then get Division to roll in and clean up any remaining TELARs and other SAM related targets (command vehicles supply trucks).
7. I will then proceed to the the known Basra SA-11 and SA-13 sites, and again engage with remaining HARMs and roll in with Rockeyes.
8. Egress
9. Refuel at the USAF KC-135 tankers
10. Trap

Every good plan includes a deception plan...

Part 2 - Execution - coming soon in a few days... standby...

Last edited by mdwa; 05/14/15 04:04 PM.

mdwa
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4120394 - 05/14/15 03:53 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Reserved for Part 2 - Execution

mdwa
#4120395 - 05/14/15 03:54 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Reserved for Part 3 - Debrief

mdwa
#4121667 - 05/18/15 05:58 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Ah the memories. Jane's seems both ages ago and just yesterday. Can't wait for your report!

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
#4121792 - 05/18/15 09:01 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Looking forward to see the execution part. SEAD is by far my favourite mission in modern envinroment.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#4137376 - 06/21/15 07:21 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Sorry about the delay... work commitments got in the way....

So here's the next part of the AAR, launch and RV with all the aircraft in my flight.

All 8 aircraft ready on deck - going through final checks:

Sandy 1, SH-60 Seahawk is already airborne and positioned off to the left flank, just in case there is an emergency on launch:

Charlie 1, the two EA-6B Prowlers are already airborne and in a circling pattern ready to RV with our SEAD Strike Package. The Prowlers will provide direct support to us as standoff jammers - using their AN/ALQ-99 Tactical Jamming System (TJS) pods to jam the enemy Early Warning, Target Aquisition and Tracking radars trying to lock onto us:

Alpha 3 and 4 (my Section) are ready for launch from the bow catapults. Alpha 3 (my Section Leader) is shot from Cat 1, he dips below the bow deck from all the weight, but then rises, and is safely airborne:

Alpha 4 is shot from Cat 2 and is also airborne. The jet blast deflector shields are lowered so the next aircraft can be positioned for launch:

My wingman and myself are positioned on the waist cats. I do a final check of my instruments, on the EFD (Electronic Fuel Display - lower left panel) I check my fuel, engines RPM, exhaust gas temp, fuel flow and oil pressure - all are normal and I have 17.5 thousand pounds of fuel with the extra bag. The LBAR light indicates that my launch bar is extended and connected to the carrier's catapult system - I'm on Cat 3:

I give the thumbs up to my wingman (Alpha 2) on Cat 4:

I hit the burners, release the wheelbrakes, salute to the deck crew, and brace:

And I'm shot off Cat 3:

I perform a clearing turn:

And raise the gear and flaps. Following Case I launch procedures, I climb to 500ft maintaining 300 kts and follow the BRC (Base Recovery Course - direction of the carrier) to 7 nm, continuing to climb. At 7 nm I will begin to turn to the 10 nm arc until I intercept our departure radial:

I pass the ships of the Carrier Strike Group (CSG), the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser USS Port Royal (CG-73) on my port side:

And the Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD-48) on my starboard side:

(I have my UFC (Up Front Controller - big center panel touch screen) on the TACAN (Tactical Air Navigation system) list page, and my right MDI (Multipurpose Display Indicator - right screen) set on the Air to Air radar)

The rest of my flight are shot from the cats:

As I turn onto our departure radial from the 10 nm arc, I check my HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator - set on my MPCD - Multipurpose Colour Display - the lower screen below the UFC) and ease off the throttle so the rest of my flight can catch up at the Flight RV (Waypoint 1 - Arcing). You can see waypoint 1 on the HSI. I've set the navigation system to Waypoint so the autopilot is coupled to selected waypoints (I can also couple it to a TACAN station, designated target or GPS location). I have the waypoints sequence (SEQ) selected so you can see the lines adjoining waypoints and have the cycle set to AUTO - so as I hit each waypoint the nav system automatically cycles to the next waypoint. The EFD (to the left) shows I've burned through 1500 pounds of fuel. I give the Arcing radio call, and the controller releases me from the carrier controlled airspace and tells me to switch control and contact Shovelhead (AWACS - Airborne Early Warning and Control).

At the top right you can see Waypoint 1 is 2.7 nm away at 317 degrees and I will get there in 34 seconds at current speed.

My wingman joins up on the right. You can see the AIM-9X Sidewinder on my wingtip, and two AGM-88 High-speed Anti-Radiation Missiles (HARM) on the outer stores pylons:

And the rest of my flight begin to join up:

I check some raw contacts on the Radar scope from 18 to 60 nm. I have my radar set on Range While Search (RWS) mode, with the azimuth scan set to 140 degrees, Interleaved (INT) Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF) setting, 4 Bar (4B) Elevation Bar setting and the antenna elevation centered, and 80 nm range. This setting gives me a decent volume of searched airspace.

You can have a go of the APG-73 Radar here: http://vfa-41.net/APG_73_Radar.php

I know that it's only friendlies or civilian air traffic over the Gulf, but I use my IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) system to interrogate the contacts. They respond as friendly (solid circles) so that means they are friendly coalition aircraft, not any civil airliners or bogeys:

I check in with Shovelhead (AWACS) on the radio. The E-3 Sentry is on station over the Gulf providing surveillance, command, control and communications:

And I establish a datalink with the AWACS. This allows me to share and view all contacts that the AWACS is tracking on my Situational Awareness (SA) page. I have Datalink 3 (DL3) selected which displays all Friendly, Enemy and Unknown aircraft. I looks like peak hour over the Gulf today....

I have the range on the SA page set to 80 nm, and the radar coupled to it as well (R symbols designate my radar azimuth or left and right scan limits). My FLIR is coupled too but I don't have the FLIR switched on. This allows contacts from these sensors to also be displayed on the SA page.

I also couple my radar page to the AWACS with the Multi-Sensor Integration (MSI) mode. This displays datalink contacts from the AWACS on my radar page - some that may not be picked up by my radar if I don't have the scan settings right - a very handy option especially in air to air combat.

I get my flight to close up into a tighter formation:

I radio to my flight to turn all radars off. Since we now have a datalink with AWACS and SA of all aircraft, I don't really need to broadcast our location and flight path to the enemy by having our radars blasting, and decide to keep EMCON (Emmission Control) on. I switch my radar to silent (SIL):

We begin the climb to 25 000 ft and waypoint 2 where we will RV with the tanker for refuelling:

Established at 25K and outbound to the tanker for a topup at WP 2 about 50 nm away:

Next part coming soon.....

mdwa
#4137709 - 06/22/15 01:49 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Good stuff, keep 'em coming!

thumbsup

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#4138731 - 06/24/15 05:53 AM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
Schwalbe Offline
Schwalbe  Offline

Wow. JF-18 still going strong. Awesome. One of them timeless sims this one!

#4139697 - 06/26/15 07:47 AM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
I absolutely love this sim and most of the Jane's titles. It's amazing how long they continue to be played and updated to the best of their engine capability. This series and for that matter, all the former Jane's titles, I would give my first born for a totally modernized graphics engine.

Thank you for posting these shots and descriptions.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4140555 - 06/28/15 07:20 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I miss the days when I used to play, and be quite adept at, quite a lot of sims. JF18, Falcon 4.0, Grand Prix Legends etc.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4141099 - 06/29/15 11:49 PM Re: Persian Gulf - Operation JUST REWARD - Mission 1 - SEAD - F/A-18E Superhornet [Re: mdwa]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Great AAR! Really makes me miss the ol' girl. Tempted to try and get it running again

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.