Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
#4118908 - 05/11/15 01:24 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Who were you fighting against? Did they have shields? Did you look at their inventory for weapons? What combat ranking were they? Like a sopwith camel trying to fight a BF109, it helps to know your adversary and whether it's worth the fight wink

The Cobra is a hell of a lot better a combat ship than a sidewinder, if you were fighting anything other than another sidewinder or maybe an eagle you were doomed to fail from the get go. Also, buy a better life support system if you plan on getting shot at, 5 minutes isn't enough but the other ones provide plenty of time!

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4118916 - 05/11/15 01:34 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Peally,it was all over so quickly I have no idea what ship it was or what he was carrying.It could have been another Sidewinder or a Cobra from the quick glance at the shape I got.Not sure why he didn't finish me off though.I was stranded for a while before I could S/C to the station.

Isn't there some game mechanic that stops noobs like me in an out-classed ship from meeting far superior opponents? Doesn't seem fair to me or else I'm the worst space fighter ever (that's probably nearer the mark).

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4118919 - 05/11/15 01:42 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Ah I missed the part where you got interdicted, so yeah understandable that it was a surprise. When in supercruise I'm always watching my back, if someone pulls in behind you something's up.

Nothing to prevent players against running into the big guys. Yesterday I jumped into a signal source by myself (wingmate was following but had a while to get to me) and I appeared right in front of 4 enemy pirates in kitted out ships right off the bat. Needless to say, we booked it the hell out of there, my Viper is good but not THAT good. I like it that way though, before every AI pilot you met was really stupid and easy, now there's a much wider and realistic range of ships and difficulties out there.

Chucky did you go through the training missions? There's a whole bunch of combat ones and none of them count for or against your character, they're all strictly separate single player missions. Also, you may want to consider joining up with someone here on SimHQ as a wingman to even the balance in your favor a little.

#4118923 - 05/11/15 01:50 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'm pretty sure I did all the training missions but back then I was using a joystick.I'm not a fan of joystick control in my games (unless it's a serious flight sim of course) and for trading KB/M is ideal for me.

I'll go back and do them again with KB/M and if I struggle,well I have a choice to make.

#4118928 - 05/11/15 01:58 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
AAAAAAAH that makes sense. Yes, keyboard and mouse is doable but much more difficult in combat wink

If I was stuck with KB/M I'd stick to trading, mining, exploration, and light combat. Nothing that would demand wacky maneuvers and reenacting scenes from Top Gun.

#4119055 - 05/11/15 07:09 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Coriolis station docking: Lock up the station so that it shows up as a target in the left side of the HUD. If you look at it, there will be arrows pointing to the face/side with the docking slot.

As far as game matching, unfortunately, there isn't any. If you see an Elite Anaconda and you're in a Sidewinder, run! This is what you get with sandbox games.

As for controls, nothing beats HOTAS unfortunately. Being able to yaw while rolling and pitching and changing power settings while firing weapons = win.

- Ice
#4119094 - 05/11/15 08:01 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I have the station locked but I'm having difficulty seeing those damn arrows. I'm having better success dropping out of S/C planetside.

I bought my first rares today (Malachi Fungus) for 85 credits a piece.I made 8 jumps and they went up to 700.How high can rares go,do they have some sort of limit? I would go back for more but the station selling it is bloody miles from the jump in point.Is that deliberate?

#4119096 - 05/11/15 08:10 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
With coriolis stations I generally look at the little target on the HUD and orient based on that. There's only two possible faces of that goofy cube oriented in a way that could have a docking port, after that it's just a case of getting close enough to see traffic.

When in supercruise keep in mind station entrances generally face the planet they're orbiting (or the inside of their orbit ring). If you drop out of supercruise keeping that in mind you can aim your jump.

Rares get more valuable the more lightyears you jump away from the source. Not sure on any limit though.

#4119262 - 05/12/15 09:19 AM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Domestos Offline
Domestos  Offline

Bingham UK
Rares peak out about 130ly from origin. They apparently increase in value beyond that but not by much. This page
contains some info and a good map to set up a rares trading circuit.
Get yerself a bottle of wine and go at it for a couple of hours, it will bring in much money, grasshopper.

#4119644 - 05/12/15 09:18 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, at your level, Chucky, it's better to do rare trades. Just make sure your ship has an awesome jump range smile

As for "nothing" showing up on the station hologram, maybe it's because you're directly behind it. Moving to either side should show you the arrow you need to follow.

- Ice
#4119789 - 05/13/15 09:52 AM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
How do you get to the external views,there doesn't seem to be anything in the key list.

Ice,remember that conversation we had where I was struggling to navigate the text chat? Well,I figured that out but for the life of me I have no idea how to select the other tabs in the chat menu.I think I have tried everything.. Q,E,A,D,tab.Everything I seem to press appears in the chat window.I did it once but have no idea how.

I think my left hand has Alzheimer's. I went to leave a Coriolis a few days ago in my fully laden Cobra and whilst lining up on the entrance I pressed 'full speed ahead' instead of thrust up.No worries I have shields.... Ship destroyed?? I can tell you that I came very close to sweeping the whole PC set-up off the desk right there.

Last edited by Chucky; 05/13/15 10:12 AM.

#4119806 - 05/13/15 10:40 AM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
sgmerlin Offline
sgmerlin  Offline

Devon, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Chucky

Ice,remember that conversation we had where I was struggling to navigate the text chat? Well,I figured that out but for the life of me I have no idea how to select the other tabs in the chat menu.I think I have tried everything.. Q,E,A,D,tab.Everything I seem to press appears in the chat window.I did it once but have no idea how.

If you hit the esc key you can then highlight the other tabs with Q, E.

#4119808 - 05/13/15 10:46 AM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
It's that easy? Thanks,I was beginning to think my keyboard was broken.In fact,after writing off my Cobra it nearly was.

#4119908 - 05/13/15 02:33 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I have the speedbrake switch on my Warthog set for forward boost and backwards-click for reverse. I had to reverse once to land on a pad and boosted into the tower. Never again, and thankfully it was beta biggrin

#4119923 - 05/13/15 02:52 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
The trouble is the LHS of the keyboard is rather 'busy' when playing KB/M. I often press the wrong key when thrusting.What didn't help was me mapping the 'C' key to 75% throttle to make S/C easier,right next to the 'X' key for full stop.In the heat of the moment it was a lottery as to which key I would actually press.

#4119947 - 05/13/15 03:37 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Peally]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By: Peally
I have the speedbrake switch on my Warthog set for forward boost and backwards-click for reverse. I had to reverse once to land on a pad and boosted into the tower. Never again, and thankfully it was beta biggrin

That's why I use the left throttle button for boost.

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#4119988 - 05/13/15 04:53 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

That's why it's easier to use the HOTAS. And yeah, boosting into a wall = expensive fireworks!

When in chat, use whatever key is bound to "next tab" that you use to navigate the left and right panels anyway.

- Ice
#4121682 - 05/18/15 06:21 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Outfitting? Sounds easy enough.I'll tell you what happened and then maybe you can see what I did wrong.

I pimped my Type-6 and I think I bought a power distributor,power generator and maybe a FSD upgrade.Details are sketchy.

I then went to jump to the next star system but I only had a 1.76Ly jump range.So,back into outfitting and I think I put it right because my jump range went back up but now I don't have any engine boost.I make the jump and straight back into outfitting.I then google the std loadout and put everything back as it was.

What I wanted to achieve was a better jump range and maybe a FSD that would charge up quicker under normal circumstances.

Also,is there a way to skip the launch sequence,I hate waiting for that ramp to come down.

#4121708 - 05/18/15 06:49 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No way to skip the "sequence" and is bloody annoying since I don't see what use the damn ramp is.

With regards to your "upgrades," what determines jump range is your total mass. An A3 FSD might be able to take you 10LY when your holds are empty but it can only take you 8LY when your holds are full. Also, different classes of FSD have different weights, obviously Class 1 would be lighter than Class 4. Different ratings also have different weights... a D-rated drive is at different weight compared to E-rated drive of the same class. IIRC, a D-rated drive is the lightest out of the range, while a B-rated drive is the heaviest, with A-, C-, and E-rated drives at the same weight/mass. Same for Power Distributor and most other modules if I'm not mistaken.

As for engine boost, it depends on your Engine capacitor, which is refilled based on how fast your Power Distributor can fill it. An E-rated capacitor will refill slowly while an A-rated one will do so faster. Also depends on how many pips are in that cap, obviously.

For better jump range, obviously, you'd want the best FSD you can get. A Power Distributor just determines how fast your capacitors fill up, a Power Plant determines how much juice you have to power your systems. I don't think that if you have the same Power Distributor that improving the Power Plant will increase the capacitor refill tine. Better Power plant just means more juice.

Hope that helps!

- Ice
#4121722 - 05/18/15 07:14 PM Re: I still don't get it [Re: Chucky]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Thanks again Ice,it sort of makes sense.Also,I didn't realise I could up the 8T cargo holds to 16T.I think I have 96T at the moment.I could go more but you know how I drive,I can't afford to not have shields biggrin

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.