Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4117176 - 05/06/15 11:02 PM Should I start now?  
tuscan Offline
tuscan  Offline

I played WT when it first came out and it was fun but never really grabbed me. Been away from gaming for a while and just getting back into things. The tanks look great and by all reports on here are a lot of fun. My question is, just starting out am I just going to be a target for everyone else.
How long is the grind until you get something decent. I can enjoy the challenge of having early tanks, just don't want to explode every time I leave the spawn area.

Don't have the net on my gaming rig just yet, otherwise I'd jump in and find out for myself.
All advice and opinions welcome
Thanks in advance

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4117278 - 05/07/15 09:57 AM Re: Should I start now? [Re: tuscan]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
It's free, and even someone as incompetent as myself can grind to something decent quite quickly so what is there to lose? Aviation is still a bit bollocks to be honest, but GF Simulation is very immersive.

#4117279 - 05/07/15 09:57 AM Re: Should I start now? [Re: tuscan]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

As long as you use ground cover and buildings for protection, it will make it difficult for the enemy to shoot you but very easy to sneak up on you if you're not scanning 360 often.

I suggest you start out with the Russian Bt-5 as it is fast and with decdent firepower.

When capping objective, DO NOT stay in there as the capping still goes on as long as no enemy tanks drive over it. Drive over it and get out, they will spam artillery on that spot.

#4117282 - 05/07/15 10:22 AM Re: Should I start now? [Re: tuscan]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
You will have a fair chance. Majority of the seasoned players rarely ever pops by the lower tiers because there's not much to do or achieve when you've already passed that hump. Plus, there's no real challenge to be had. So no need to worry about being the plaything of experienced players.

As for decent, not sure what qualifies as decent but everything in Tier 1, 2 and 3 can be achieved quite fast without premium or putting in hundreds of hours. That puts you in range of the various T-34 models, Panzer IVs, a good portion of the Shermans and some solid tank destroyers.

Plus, the game's matchmaking is separated into tiers and something called 'Battlerating', a number affixed to each individual tank so it can only be put up against other tanks +1 / -1 of that number. (Highest Battlerated tank in your line-up is the decider).

#4117322 - 05/07/15 12:36 PM Re: Should I start now? [Re: Sethos88]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted By: Sethos88
You will have a fair chance. Majority of the seasoned players rarely ever pops by the lower tiers because there's not much to do or achieve when you've already passed that hump. Plus, there's no real challenge to be had. So no need to worry about being the plaything of experienced players.

As for decent, not sure what qualifies as decent but everything in Tier 1, 2 and 3 can be achieved quite fast without premium or putting in hundreds of hours. That puts you in range of the various T-34 models, Panzer IVs, a good portion of the Shermans and some solid tank destroyers.

Pretty much that all of that. The lower tiers in arcade will have you working out all of the mechanics of the game pretty quickly and you will die a lot, but so does everyone else smile Once you get into Tier three it will start to get a bit more serious and you should be able to move into the sim events or at least RB mode and escape the Arcade madness.

GF is a lot of fun as you can use real world tactics even though about half of the maps get old really fast you will work out what tank to bring to certain maps and certain game modes. Don't spend all of your initial Golden Eagles in the really low tiers like most of us did as we had no idea what the deal was with them also, use boosters as you get them as they run out fairly quickly and you get quite a few.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4117323 - 05/07/15 12:37 PM Re: Should I start now? [Re: tuscan]  
Lipfert Offline
Lipfert  Offline

Ayr, Ontario
I selected the Soviet Tank tree to start, picked up one Premium Tank and played it over and over (also am using Premium account). I'm still new but my logic was to farm as many Research Points and possible in the tank variation tree that I selected.

Sort of figured this out myself since I did not find much information about how to go about this the best way. I do tend to save my Silver Lions and not purchase everything when it becomes available but only when the lowest Tier vehicle is available for use and then I play it till I have unlocked all the tweaks / percs.

This method leaves me with pretty good cash flow as you tend to top up Silver Lions when unlocking. I have based this on my Mechwarrior Online days and grinding through 133 Mechs building up over 3 hundred million C-Bills in the process. The only downside is some evenings the Tanks I am working on are not available, which was a bigger problem when I first started.

Be prepared, it can be frustrating at times and I have had to walk away a few times to regain my composure.

Right now I am only playing Simulation mode and the concept of Combined Arms is very much flawed, it would be much better to just allow Tanks with no aircraft.

S!

JG1 Lipfert - Jagdgeschwader 1 "Fritz Schmenkel" "Oesau" "Richthofen"
#4117660 - 05/08/15 02:19 AM Re: Should I start now? [Re: tuscan]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I really would like to get a squad together and use SimHQ TeamSpeak.

#4117688 - 05/08/15 04:06 AM Re: Should I start now? [Re: Falstar]  
Lipfert Offline
Lipfert  Offline

Ayr, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Falstar
I really would like to get a squad together and use SimHQ TeamSpeak.

Kameraden,

Say when and I will show up.

S!

#4117691 - 05/08/15 04:22 AM Re: Should I start now? [Re: tuscan]  
Lipfert Offline
Lipfert  Offline

Ayr, Ontario
Kameraden,

Also I forgot to mention.

I bought 1 crew per nation and put 1000 Golden Eagles in to train them up using this strategy:

Kreb's 33 Build

S!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.