Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#4117416 - 05/07/15 03:23 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
I like Lou's suggestion. I think we can accept June (or July) = February 1915, and it would indeed give us plenty of time to settle in and practice with what settings we want to use before the war turns serious.

#4117528 - 05/07/15 07:32 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Second Draft of Rules.

Game Start Date: February 1915

Actual Start Date of "1915 DiD": Saturday, June 6, 2015

General Workshop Settings:

Your choice except:

•Transfer requests – subject to review

•Outcomes – normal

•Campaign date advance – Manual

Enlist your pilot:

1) Allowed to make more than one pilot at the same time. Suggest making two pilots - a primary and a standby. You can choose your pilots to be any nation - same or different. Also, you can replace a fallen pilot with any nation.

2) Choose Auto deployment (not Manual).

3) Select to go for training for First time pilots OR in cases of replacing a fallen pilot and they have a first name of C or above and with less than 20 hours of flight.

4) Use alphabetical order to name your pilot. The first pilot’s name will begin with “A”, then if he should fall, the next pilot’s name will begin with “B”, etc...

5) Random Squad Assignment (optional): (a) Pick a number between 1 to 50, then (b) choose the squad that will be on that number. If the squadron starts before or after February, then keep advancing until you get one that starts in February.

6) Do not calculate any points until your training is complete and you are assigned to your squad.

First Mission: fly to your assigned aerodrome:

Fly your squadron’s plane solo from any “training” airfield in England or Germany to your final base. This is the only mission that must be done in QC in order to select a base in England or Germany far away from the front.

In order to get your time logged into your pilot’s log book, in Workshop, choose to log all flights (not just campaign) just for this mission. Then advance time by one day in your campaign screen. (see my post above for an example)

Start of your Campaign:

1) Fly two circuits around your base and practice flight leader commands: Attack (A), Rejoin (R), RTB (Ctrl + R), Land Here (Ctrl + L) and Split Formation (S). Also, make one mission to fly to the Front with or without a wingman and land back at your base. For these missions only, in workshop, choose to be the flight leader. Do not cross the Front or engage in combat. Break off and RTB.

2) Generate missions and carry them out, as dictated by the WOFF manager’s campaign briefing screen.

3) You will calculate your score of campaign points at the start of each new day. If your score at the start of the day is below '0' you will be sent back to the Home Front for further flight training (follow procedures set out in “Enlist your pilot” section).

End-Mission Effects:

1) 1 points per “confirmed” plane or target balloon shot down. Maximum of one time per mission.

2) 1 points for any Military ground objects destroyed (visible smoke or fire). Maximum of one time per mission.

3) 1 points for a successful mission

4) – 2 points for being wounded with Hospital Stay.

5) 2 points for becoming an ace. Maximum of only one time.

6) 2 points for each promotion.

Additional Rules:

Fly only one day's worth of missions per real world date. No flying more than one day. Wait for the next real world date to advance time in the campaign.

If the WOFF manager advances days due to hospital stays, being captured, etc.. then you'll need to wait those amount of days before you can fly again.

Must post at least one combat report per week.

-----------------------

CatKnight, I sent you a PM.

Last edited by OldHat; 05/07/15 07:34 PM.
#4117547 - 05/07/15 08:13 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I've never flown the training when starting a new pilot.
Does the training advance through WOFF time in days?

Whatever day it is started, keep the same day number on the calendar....but what happens in say the real month of July or June which has more days than February in WOFF? Might be too confusing....for me anyway...unless some one explains it as we go.

#4117563 - 05/07/15 08:48 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Training has morning and afternoon or evening flights. Two flights per day for about one week.

So, any ideas on when to start with training?

Here's how I believe the calendar should look like (it will probably take me about an hour to make the whole year of 1915 like this):

#4117579 - 05/07/15 09:27 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

OldHat, you are missing an ideal opportunity here. Start your DID campaign on June 1 and for the first time ever the days of the week and the dates will actually coincide as they should. 1 February 1915 was a Monday.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4117580 - 05/07/15 09:29 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
We can certainly do it that way. I admit I hadn't thought of the days being off when I saw Lou's February suggestion.

Would it be easier to keep the months in sync, and just slice off any extra days? For example: June 29, 2015 = February 29, 1915. Since there wasn't a February 29 in 1915, we just don't fly that day. It's not that much different from the periods of bad weather in DiD today.

If we went that route, the calendar for the rest of 1915 would look like this:

Code:
1915 mo.     2015 mo.        Reconciling
February     June            No flights June 29-30
March        July
April        August          No flights August 31
May          September       Skip May 31, 1915
June         October         No flights October 31
July         November        Skip July 31, 1915
August       December
September    Jan. 16         No flights January 31, 2016
October      Feb. 16         Skip October 30-31, 1915
November     Mar. 16         No flights March 31, 2016
December     Apr. 16         Skip December 31, 1915

Last edited by CatKnight; 05/07/15 09:30 PM.
#4117585 - 05/07/15 09:43 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

I'll admit that I ain't the brightest bulb on the block, so I'm glad to be among smart folks here. I see your point Lou and it sure does sound like a good plan CatKnight.

Well, does anyone see anything in the rules that need changing?

I suggest we wait for a week to get feedback, then set them in stone so that we can start registration of pilots.

#4117588 - 05/07/15 09:55 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Actually, IMHO, if you make any adjustments at all at the ends of the months it should be to keep the 1915 days of the week aligned with the 2015 days of the week. As example, you would not skip days at the end of June but rather allow Monday 29 June 2015 to serve as Monday 1 March 1915. It would be very handy when you are writing your combat reports and letters home and such to have the days jibe. I for one have always had to refer to a 'day of the week' calculator when doing my write-ups and I would no longer have to do this if we keep things aligned in such a fashion.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.

#4117599 - 05/07/15 10:27 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
Lou.... thumbsup

Think the moon phases will coincide?
Is WOFF that good? I've seen different phases , but never checked them out.

#4117629 - 05/07/15 11:54 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
I try not to fly in conditions involving the moon!

#4117636 - 05/08/15 12:28 AM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
MudWasp Offline
MudWasp  Offline

a shack in da woods
I love to check it out on a morning mission.... and the stars too.

Seeing a moon on takeoff in late fall in the late afternoon is another story.

#4117664 - 05/08/15 02:32 AM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
I don't think the training missions are going to work.

You can only train if you do the auto-enlistment (versus manual). Fine.

If you auto-enlist, 1) you can't control your beginning unit (other than enlisting over and over again), and 2) you can't control your start date more closely to within a three month period.

Last edited by CatKnight; 05/08/15 02:32 AM.
#4117685 - 05/08/15 03:48 AM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Good. Throw out training missions. Let's assume that you've earned your wings.

I vote that "1915 DiD" start with the flight from your field of choice in England or Germany to your final squadron's aerodrome. And it should be at least a 2 hour flight (as measured from Sutton's Farm to St. Omer) starting anywhere in England or Germany. Also, the starting squad should be a bomber unit. Transfer requests are unlikely to get approved at this time, so you'll need to make a good choice.

I've flown across the channel before with no aids and it's something I think should be tried at least once. There is nothing like the feeling of leaving land, navigating using the sun or shadows over water and eventually seeing land again (you could be flying in circles) and then searching for your final destination airfield. At early dawn in the rain, it's even more challenging.

However, I believe that in "1915 DiD" anyone can use any and all aids including time compression since the objective is to make it fun to play.

#4117743 - 05/08/15 10:30 AM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

For those of us considering a French career I suggest flying from Avord, France to our assigned camp. Avord and Pau were the two major schools at the time, IIRC, and much as I enjoy long distance cross-country navigation it would be unrealistic to have a WWI pilot fresh out of school attempt a six to eight hour trip from the SW corner of France to their assignment in one of the kites of the day. As it is Avord will be three-plus hours by air to any of the likely assignments for a French pilot in February 1915.

Also, might I suggest that the first two or three flights at your assigned camp serve as a 'Cook's Tour' of your area of operation (AO). I often do this when beginning a new career by just ignoring the assigned mission and simply flying up to front and back, making notes of landmarks and such, so I'm not completely lost when it comes time to actually do my job. This by the way was normally done by our RL counterparts back in the day for the very same reason. The CO would have the new recruit take a couple of flights to get familiar with the lay of the land.

[Linked Image]

#4117761 - 05/08/15 11:28 AM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
Combs Offline
Combs  Offline

One other idea: Consider doing a 2 day/one RL day from February 1915 to September 1915, if the lack of hostile aircraft make the flying too boring

No man commands safely unless he has learned well how to obey.
#4117774 - 05/08/15 12:05 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

EDIT:

These are the closest match I could find in WOFF. So, they are the suggested locations to fly from in QC to your final squadron:

British Career:
Central Flying School, Upavon - Netheravon Airfield
Netheravon Flying School, Netheravon - Netheravon Airfield
Royal Naval Air Station, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield
Military School, Brooklands - Hounslow Airfield
Grahame-White School, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield
Royal Naval Flying School, Eastchurch - Eastchurch Airfield
Royal Flying Corps, Shoreham - Biggin Hill Airfield
Beatty School, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield
London and Provincial School, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield

French Career:
Avord - Etampes Airfield

German Career:
Fliegerschule - Koln Airfield

Any corrections and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by OldHat; 05/08/15 05:47 PM. Reason: Added WOFF airfields
#4117837 - 05/08/15 01:37 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: Combs]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Originally Posted By: Combs
One other idea: Consider doing a 2 day/one RL day from February 1915 to September 1915, if the lack of hostile aircraft make the flying too boring

There will be hostile aircraft around, but I believe the main goal of this DiD is just to survive. I'd probably make 3 pilots at the same time: British, French and German and take turns flying each on a different day for variety to see which one survives the longest.

#4117904 - 05/08/15 04:24 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

This sounds exciting and the early air war also happens to interest me even more than the later period, but unfortunately I don't have enough free time to fly two DID campaigns simultaneously. frown

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4117991 - 05/08/15 07:18 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
Hasse: You could always take my suggestion regarding multiple pilots to the next level. Have one in Olham's campaign and one for OldHat's: When you're tired of being shot at, play in 1915 for awhile. When that gets old, go back to Olham's 1917. On the weekend, play both biggrin

#4118080 - 05/08/15 10:50 PM Re: DiD plausability for 1915 [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Third Draft of Rules.

Game Start Date: February 1915

Actual Start Date of "1915 DiD": Monday, June 1, 2015.
Not a hard start date, it's just to let everyone know that the "1915 DiD thread" has started - it will never close to new enrollments. So, anyone is free to join after the start date anytime as well.

Mental note: I'll be in the early months of the First World War, so I won't expect to see too much action.

General Workshop Settings:

Your choice except:

•Transfer requests – subject to review

•Outcomes – normal

•Campaign date advance – Manual

Enlist your pilot:

1) Anyone is allowed to make more than one pilot at the same time. A suggestion of making two pilots - a primary and a standby. You can choose your pilots to be any nation - same or different. Also, you can replace a fallen pilot with any nation.

2) Choose Manual deployment and select a two-seater squad that starts on February 1, 1915.

3) Use alphabetical order to name your pilot. The first pilot’s name will begin with “A”, then if he should fall, the next pilot’s name will begin with “B”, etc...

First Mission: fly to your assigned aerodrome:

Fly your squadron’s plane solo from any of the following suggested “training” airfields to your final squadron location:

British Career:
Central Flying School, Upavon - Netheravon Airfield
Netheravon Flying School, Netheravon - Netheravon Airfield
Royal Naval Air Station, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield
Military School, Brooklands - Hounslow Airfield
Grahame-White School, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield
Royal Naval Flying School, Eastchurch - Eastchurch Airfield
Royal Flying Corps, Shoreham - Biggin Hill Airfield
Beatty School, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield
London and Provincial School, Hendon - Hounslow Airfield

French Career:
Avord - Etampes Airfield

German Career:
Fliegerschule - Koln Airfield

This is the only mission that must be done in QC in order to select the aerodrome in England, France or Germany far away from the front.

In order to get your time logged into your pilot’s log book, in Workshop, choose to log all flights (not just campaign) just for this mission. Then advance time by one day in your campaign screen. (see my previous post for an example)

Start of your Campaign:

1) In the first two or three missions, ignore the mission briefing and fly them without crossing the front or engaging any enemies:

Some suggestions for these missions: (a) Get familiar with your area of operation by completing circuits around your base and flying up to the front and back. Make notes of landmarks to familiarize yourself with the area (b) Practice flight leader commands: Attack (A), Rejoin (R), RTB (Ctrl + R), Land Here (Ctrl + L) and Split Formation (S).

For these missions only, in workshop, choose to be the flight leader. Remember to ignore the mission briefing and do not cross the Front or engage in combat. Break off and RTB.

2) Generate missions and carry them out, as dictated by the WOFF manager’s campaign briefing screen.

3) You will calculate your score of campaign points at the start of each new day.

If your score is below '0' or if you're replacing a fallen pilot who has a first name of C or above and with less than 20 hours of flight, you will be sent back for further flight training. So, you will need to start over in a two-seater flying from your training airbase to your final squad's airbase.

End-Mission Effects:

1) 1 points per “confirmed” plane or target balloon shot down. Maximum of one time per mission.

2) 1 points for any Military ground objects destroyed (visible smoke or fire). Maximum of one time per mission.

3) 1 points for a successful mission

4) – 2 points for being wounded with Hospital Stay.

5) 2 points for becoming an ace. Maximum of only one time.

6) 2 points for each promotion.

Additional Rules:

Fly only one day's worth of missions per real world date. No flying more than one day. Wait for the next real world date to advance time in the campaign.

If the WOFF manager advances days due to hospital stays, being captured, etc.. then you'll need to wait those amount of days before you can fly again.

Must post at least one combat report per week.

Last edited by OldHat; 05/08/15 11:16 PM.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM